or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 7

post #181 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post


I thought the young man making swords was the former hand's son...Was he the king's too? edit: just rewatched that scene and indeed he was the king's.

That's where I know him from! I knew I'd seen him before lol

Which could lead back to the comment "The seed is Strong" or something like that. Since the King has many children they all have claim to the throne of he is done away with.
post #182 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post

I'll keep watching, but it's just not that good so far. Am I alone in this thinking?

You may not be alone but you are in the vast minority, IMO.
post #183 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Which could lead back to the comment "The seed is Strong" or something like that. Since the King has many children they all have claim to the throne of he is done away with.

No, they really don't. As we know from Jon Snow, bastards can't inherit -- not a family name or property. Jon Arryn's investigation wasn't intended to find a new heir, but just to try to determine the likelihood that Cersei's kids weren't Robert's.

In theory, if Robert died without a legitimate heir, his brother Stannis (who we haven't seen yet, but was mentioned this week by Renly as being older than him) would be next in line.

As things currently stand, as Renly mentioned, he is 4th in line -- after Joffrey, Tommen (the younger boy), and Stannis.
post #184 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post

I'll keep watching, but it's just not that good so far. Am I alone in this thinking?

Sorry, but I can't relate.

I have little time to watch TV, so I only bother with stuff that is exceptional. Game of Thrones is currently the only show I watch.
post #185 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Since when do Kings have to be "noble" all of the time

Indeed. I really like the characterization of Robert. He was great at winning the crown, but didn't realize what a burden it is to wear it. He'd rather reminisce about the simpler times when there were no problems he couldn't simply smash in with his warhammer. Now he's old, fat, and and only finds pleasure in drinking, reliving past glories with old friends, and banging royal groupies. Not necessarily a bad life on any given day, but he knows he turned out to be a crappy king and it weighs on him. His talk with Ned way back on the Kingsroad was very illuminating; he'd walk away from it all in a heartbeat if he could, but whatever sense of duty he has left forces him to stay.

Saying he's "not noble" and leaving it at ignores a lot of the depth their giving him in the show. (It may be an improvement over Book Robert, in fact.) Not to excuse his behavior, just saying that there's a real reason why he acts the way he does.
post #186 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr25 View Post


Indeed. I really like the characterization of Robert. He was great at winning the crown, but didn't realize what a burden it is to wear it. He'd rather reminisce about the simpler times when there were no problems he couldn't simply smash in with his warhammer. Now he's old, fat, and and only finds pleasure in drinking, reliving past glories with old friends, and banging royal groupies. Not necessarily a bad life on any given day, but he knows he turned out to be a crappy king and it weighs on him. His talk with Ned way back on the Kingsroad was very illuminating; he'd walk away from it all in a heartbeat if he could, but whatever sense of duty he has left forces him to stay.

Saying he's "not noble" and leaving it at ignores a lot of the depth their giving him in the show. (It may be an improvement over Book Robert, in fact.) Not to excuse his behavior, just saying that there's a real reason why he acts the way he does.

Totally agree
post #187 of 4782
This episode had some decent action, but mostly it had several images that have stuck with me. The near-beheading of the joust-horse, the Aerie kid nursing, the cell in which the imp is imprisoned (his glance over the edge gave me the heebie-jeebies)...just a good solid episode. Missed the horse-princess, but I'm sure she'll be back next week.

I did something I said I wouldn't earlier...and that is to finally relent and start reading the book my wife gave me on Easter. I'm waaaay behind the show at this point and I don't intend to catch up at any point, but I'm already glad I'm reading it. It's excellent and a nice companion to watching the show.
post #188 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

the cell in which the imp is imprisoned

I see what you did there.

And the castle name is spelled "Eyrie," as you will find soon enough in your reading. In my head I always pronounced it "AIR-ee," with that 2nd syllable practically silent. I thought it was a sort of punnish name since the castle is up high in the air, built into a mountain. Guess not. Most of my other imagined pronunciations have been correct, though.
post #189 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr25 View Post

I see what you did there.

And the castle name is spelled "Eyrie," as you will find soon enough in your reading. In my head I always pronounced it "AIR-ee," with that 2nd syllable practically silent. I thought it was a sort of punnish name since the castle is up high in the air, built into a mountain. Guess not. Most of my other imagined pronunciations have been correct, though.

Ah, okay, thanks. I used "aerie", as in the term for an eagle's nest, as I figured that was what they were going for with that castle's design.
post #190 of 4782
^^^^^^^^^^
You guys are starting to sneak in some book talk. However insignificant you think it is please refrain.
post #191 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post


Ah, okay, thanks. I used "aerie", as in the term for an eagle's nest, as I figured that was what they were going for with that castle's design.

"Eyrie" and "aerie" are both acceptable spellings and both pronunciations (eerie, airy) are also acceptable; though I was surprised by the one they went with.
post #192 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

^^^^^^^^^^
You guys are starting to sneak in some book talk. However insignificant you think it is please refrain.

You can see how it is spelled in the opening credits, too. So let's just say that when I read those, I thought it was pronounced "AIR-ee". There's the book talk free version.
post #193 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

"Eyrie" and "aerie" are both acceptable spellings and both pronunciations (eerie, airy) are also acceptable; though I was surprised by the one they went with.

Gotcha, okay.

Dm145 - It was inadvertant, and on my behalf, I haven't gotten to that section of the book yet to see how it's spelled...

And it looks like mdr now has a plausible alibi too.

As for spoilers, I sympathize as I just unsubscribed from the spoiler thread as a couple of posts there told me more than I wanted to know. You can't unsee the seen!
post #194 of 4782
Looks like the streaming of episode 7 earlybird has brought the HBO server to its knees.
post #195 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Looks like the streaming of episode 7 earlybird has brought the HBO server to its knees.

I kinda thought that would happen. Personally, I'm going to do my best to wait until next Sunday. I want to see it on the big screen in HD.
post #196 of 4782
It proves that streaming TV has a long way to go. At least for shows that millions will want to stream as soon as they are available.
post #197 of 4782
hbogo isn't available with TWC. Wow.
post #198 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Looks like the streaming of episode 7 earlybird has brought the HBO server to its knees.

It worked fine for me. I started watching the opening credits on my computer, but the quality was just terrible. It wasn't much better on my iPad. I really want to watch it, but I'm going to hold off and watch it in HD next Sunday.

It's tough to wait, but watching it early would mean a two week gap in episodes, plus terrible video quality. I think it's worth waiting.
post #199 of 4782
It was not streamed in HD? I was planning on catching it tonight. If now I guess I will wait.
post #200 of 4782
It brought the hbogo.com servers to their knees, but it streamed just fine to the iPad app (while my HTPC stayed frozen at signin). And looked and sounded good.
post #201 of 4782
It looks like the Starks aren't the brightest bulbs in the box...too easy to manipulate it seems...I mean, do some real investigating before sending men after the knight--it smells like a setup of some sort. At least he finally figured out the prince isn't Robert's kid....
post #202 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

It looks like the Starks aren't the brightest bulbs in the box...too easy to manipulate it seems...I mean, do some real investigating before sending men after the knight--it smells like a setup of some sort. At least he finally figured out the prince isn't Robert's kid....

Yeah, the way the whole thing with Tyrian (sp?) Lannister went down, with the champion fight and all, it made the Starks look pretty stupid. Or impotent. Or both. Oops.
post #203 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post


Yeah, the way the whole thing with Tyrian (sp?) Lannister went down, with the champion fight and all, it made the Starks look pretty stupid. Or impotent. Or both. Oops.

The Starks had nothing to do with that, it was crazy Lysa Arryn.
post #204 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

It looks like the Starks aren't the brightest bulbs in the box...too easy to manipulate it seems...I mean, do some real investigating before sending men after the knight--it smells like a setup of some sort. At least he finally figured out the prince isn't Robert's kid....

I think you're on to something there Jedi...
post #205 of 4782
Spoilers deleted.
post #206 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Spoilers deleted.

WTH? Please clarify if discussing elements of the just aired episode - WITH spoiler tags - is considered outside the bounds for this thread. What are the spoiler tags for, if you can't even use them to discuss an already aired episode?
post #207 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

The Starks had nothing to do with that, it was crazy Lysa Arryn.

Yes, but what did Lady Stark think might happen? Even if Lysa Arryn wasn't crazy, didn't Tyrian have the right to ask for trial by combat, with a champion? I realize that the whole thing to have him seized wasn't exactly fully thought through, but ultimately all her choices led to his escape. Hence she seemed both impotent and a little stupid.

But maybe that's the point - both Ned & Lady Stark have now been humbled by the Lannisters.
post #208 of 4782
Gawd... I gave soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much away...
post #209 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

WTH? Please clarify if discussing elements of the just aired episode - WITH spoiler tags - is considered outside the bounds for this thread. What are the spoiler tags for, if you can't even use them to discuss an already aired episode?

If it is an already aired (HBO East Coast - not HBO GO) episode, it isn't a spoiler - therefore, no spoiler tags are needed.
post #210 of 4782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

Yes, but what did Lady Stark think might happen? Even if Lysa Arryn wasn't crazy, didn't Tyrian have the right to ask for trial by combat, with a champion?

I suspect she didn't think there would be anyone who would volunteer to be his champion, if she thought about the likelihood at all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion