or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 76

post #2251 of 4675
The Entertainment Weekly recaps of the show every monday are really good with going thru the plot + funny takes on it too:

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-season-3-premiere/
post #2252 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Interesting article from Vulture about the dragons,
Nice article. I like that they wanted to make the dragons seem like real animals, even though they're fantasy creatures. I especially like the attention given to what the wingspan would be like. Some depictions of dragons show them with laughably small wings.
post #2253 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Is Joffrey getting a conscious?

When he was in his tote, when Lady Margaery was tending to the orphans, he seemed to look on in amazement instead of contempt.

Later he rebukes his mother when she tries to run her down at dinner.

I haven't read the books and I don't really want to KNOW, just seems interesting.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
A friend of mine at work who's read the books says Joffrey is someone you NEVER warm up to.

Edited by RobertR - 4/2/13 at 6:24pm
post #2254 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
A friend of mine at work who's read the books says Joffrey is someone you NEVER warm up to.

Shhhh.
post #2255 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post

Shhhh.

too late thx though.

no biggie
post #2256 of 4675
maybe just delete the post if it contains a spoiler instead of putting it in tags wink.gif
post #2257 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

You sure you can watch it? It might be like the PPV on demand movies that will record to your DVR but to watch it you have to purchase it, or in this case, subscribe. Even if you can watch it, I wouldn't - you'll just end up ordering HBO again. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post

free preview weekend

Yep, the free weekend is ovah. Still haven't decided if I torture myself and watch it or simply delete it and wait for the BDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Ever see Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome?
Why the hell are you leaving the party so soon?eek.gif

Dude, pick up a phone and get your premium channels back!smile.gif

Well you know, winter is coming.
post #2258 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

maybe just delete the post if it contains a spoiler instead of putting it in tags wink.gif

The thread says "no spoilers" so I agree that even tags shouldn't be used. I have read the books and there is a lot I would like to say in response to discussions and questions but I am careful to cite show materials for my answers. Additionally, the show does diverge from the books due to the nature of immensity of the books.
post #2259 of 4675
I was pretty happy with the first episode, except for the lack of Arya Stark - hopefully, she makes up for her share of screen time through the rest of the season.
post #2260 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

I was pretty happy with the first episode, except for the lack of Arya Stark - hopefully, she makes up for her share of screen time through the rest of the season.

Yeah. Sunday's episode felt like it was about an hour too short. Too many story lines going on for the <10 hours a year we get. After reading the first book I realized the first season worked fine. I'm only partway through the second book but I definitely felt like last season felt rushed in terms of story. Not quality, they are also gold which is why I want more!
post #2261 of 4675
it really needs to be at least a 12 episode show per season like Boardwalk Empire at this point with so many stories unfolding.
post #2262 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

it really needs to be at least a 12 episode show per season like Boardwalk Empire at this point with so many stories unfolding.

Yep I agree. HBO are making the episodes this season about five minutes longer than previous seasons which adds up to an extra episode's worth of story but it's not the same.
post #2263 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

it really needs to be at least a 12 episode show per season like Boardwalk Empire at this point with so many stories unfolding.
+100000000
post #2264 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

it really needs to be at least a 12 episode show per season like Boardwalk Empire at this point with so many stories unfolding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Yep I agree. HBO are making the episodes this season about five minutes longer than previous seasons which adds up to an extra episode's worth of story but it's not the same.

Remember we are only getting "half" the story this season...Book 3 has been split into 2 10 episode seasons...While I would love to have more, I never have a wanting for less, which IMO could be the case if we start pushing to more episodes....
post #2265 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

Yeah. Sunday's episode felt like it was about an hour too short. Too many story lines going on for the <10 hours a year we get. After reading the first book I realized the first season worked fine. I'm only partway through the second book but I definitely felt like last season felt rushed in terms of story. Not quality, they are also gold which is why I want more!

Season 2 was good compared to the Book IMO.....Book two was def the weaker of ook one and two while book 3 is largely regarded as one of if no tthe best.......Luckily we ahve George at the head of things giving the OK\not ok on things....I dont even wasn to think about what would happen if he wasnt involved.....
post #2266 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Season 2 was good compared to the Book IMO.....Book two was def the weaker of ook one and two while book 3 is largely regarded as one of if no tthe best.......Luckily we ahve George at the head of things giving the OK\not ok on things....I dont even wasn to think about what would happen if he wasnt involved.....

I strongly disagree with this. You're not giving the other showrunners enough credit. So far anyways every change they've made is an improvement on the books, imo.
post #2267 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

it really needs to be at least a 12 episode show per season like Boardwalk Empire at this point with so many stories unfolding.

no it needs to run 24/7 year round with new epsiodes.
post #2268 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Yep I agree. HBO are making the episodes this season about five minutes longer than previous seasons which adds up to an extra episode's worth of story but it's not the same.

Thats gonna be rough to do though.

Going by the runtimes on hbogo the season 2 avg episode was 55 minutes.

Season 3 ep1 was 55 mins so even if ep10 is 70 mins (it was 64 last year) that means eps2-9 have to avg 59 mins which would then put the season avg at 60 mins.

So then that 5 min per avg ep more would equate to 1 extra 50 min ep.

But i just dont see eps2-9 avg 59 mins....unless hopefully the finale is 90 mins. biggrin.gif
post #2269 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post



I strongly disagree with this. You're not giving the other showrunners enough credit. So far anyways every change they've made is an improvement on the books, imo.

Thats what I was reffering to especially in Season 2 wink.gif that the changes were made for the better as Book 2 draggggsssss in some places....I give all the credit to the show runners and Martin for not only keeping such dense material "in line" but when making changes they actually turn out to be "acceptable" and in some cases help the story move along faster.....
post #2270 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

no it needs to run 24/7 year round with new epsiodes.
+1 tongue.gif
post #2271 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Thats gonna be rough to do though.

Going by the runtimes on hbogo the season 2 avg episode was 55 minutes.

Season 3 ep1 was 55 mins so even if ep10 is 70 mins (it was 64 last year) that means eps2-9 have to avg 59 mins which would then put the season avg at 60 mins.

So then that 5 min per avg ep more would equate to 1 extra 50 min ep.

But i just dont see eps2-9 avg 59 mins....unless hopefully the finale is 90 mins. biggrin.gif

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/18/game-of-thrones-longer-season-3/
Quote:
There’s almost another full episode’s worth of extra minutes spread across the season,” Weiss says. “One of the great liberties with HBO is we’re not forced to come in at a specific time. We can’t be under 50 minutes or over 60, but that gives us a lot of flexibility.”.......
A super-sized season, as befitting Storm of Swords,” Benioff adds. “Last year we had a lot of 52-minute episodes. This year is a lot of 56, 57.”
All 10 episodes gained a minute or two from past seasons with the finale very possibly exceeding 60 minutes.”
post #2272 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

“Last year we had a lot of 52-minute episodes. This year is a lot of 56, 57.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/18/game-of-thrones-longer-season-3/

Thats not true about last year 52 mins....7 eps were actually 54 or more.

56-57 mins wont even cut it as they need to avg 59.
post #2273 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Thats not true about last year 52 mins....7 eps were actually 54 or more.

56-57 mins wont even cut it as they need to avg 59.

I believe they were talking about the actual episode length not including credits, but I could be wrong....anyways I was just pointing to where people are getting that information from, its "about" an episode worth, not extactly an extra episode worth wink.gif
post #2274 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Interesting article from Vulture about the dragons,

Ha. Just noticed that they made a common error. Unless the books specifically describe their dragons has having only two legs the creatures in the show are in fact, wyverns.

Dragons have four legs. biggrin.gif
post #2275 of 4675
How are the HBO seasons supposed to follow(coincide) the books? I know it was mentioned a few pages back, but I can't seem to find it. One book was gonna cover two seasons?? I've started reading the books, I'm early in book 1 and it's slow going, but it's a different experience when you have already seen these characters on the screen.
post #2276 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

How are the HBO seasons supposed to follow(coincide) the books? I know it was mentioned a few pages back, but I can't seem to find it. One book was gonna cover two seasons?? I've started reading the books, I'm early in book 1 and it's slow going, but it's a different experience when you have already seen these characters on the screen.

Book three is being spread over seasons three and four. Nothing beyond that has been said but just based on pages book four is between one and two and five is the longest of the bunch.
post #2277 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Ha. Just noticed that they made a common error. Unless the books specifically describe their dragons has having only two legs the creatures in the show are in fact, wyverns.

Dragons have four legs. biggrin.gif

Now im confused cause this says:

"Dragons can have a variable number of legs: none, two, four, or more when it comes to early European literature."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon
post #2278 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Now im confused cause this says:

"Dragons can have a variable number of legs: none, two, four, or more when it comes to early European literature."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon

Which dragon was Sean Connery the voice for, he was a great dragon. LOL
post #2279 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Now im confused cause this says:

"Dragons can have a variable number of legs: none, two, four, or more when it comes to early European literature."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon

You can't trust Wikipedia! biggrin.gif

Here's a better source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyvern

Oh. Wait.
post #2280 of 4675
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Which dragon was Sean Connery the voice for, he was a great dragon. LOL

Yeah, Draco was a real dragon. Not one of these Jurrasic Park pterodactyl half-breeds! biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion