or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 9

post #241 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
Not much to say if you can't say anything about story, characters, plot, other than it was in 1080i and looked good on a Kuro
The AVS ignore feature was designed for him. I put him on ignore a year ago and every single post I've seen since that someone has been drawn into quoting from him has been absolutely without merit or effort.

Save a thread. Put him on ignore.
post #242 of 4666
Anyone else want to see some dragons? Think it would be much faster than riding in "wooden horses"
post #243 of 4666
Wow that one scene was border line pornography, holy buckets. Most graphic scene I have seen in a TV show, ever.

All in all, an excellent episode.
post #244 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Wow that one scene was border line pornography, holy buckets. Most graphic scene I have seen in a TV show, ever.

All in all, an excellent episode.

I guess you haven't seen Spartacus on STARZ then? IMO the sex scenes in that show tended to be more graphic.
post #245 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

IMO the sex scenes in that shoe tended to be more graphic.

Sex in a shoe? Mmmm, kinky!
post #246 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post


Sex in a shoe? Mmmm, kinky!

Ahh the joys of posting from your phone. Corrected.
post #247 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

You can say whatever you want if it already aired - as long as it isn't about future events that haven't aired yet.

Nothing seen on HBO is a spoiler.

Thanks, plus I found the spoilers thread. Appreciate the help. And just trying to get other folks' insight into the story, since we haven't read the books & wasn't sure the direction of the 2 threads.
post #248 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post


Sex in a shoe? Mmmm, kinky!

He's a Jets fan.
post #249 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The AVS ignore feature was designed for him.

If you mean me, I'm sorry my posts bother you. Certainly not my intention. As far as my thoughts on GoT, I think it's extremely well done! Best show on now.

Peace
post #250 of 4666
Very decent episode Sunday night. Tried to watch it earliery but HBOGO is a NoGo in my area.
post #251 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr25 View Post

Tyrion ran into the same problem. He knew that once the little Lord Robin passed judgement on him, he'd be executed, lack of solid evidence be damned. That's why he had to roll the dice with trial by combat.

Tyrion's problem wasn't evidence -- it was that the "judge" had already decided that he was guilty! It wouldn't have mattered if he had the best evidence in the world to prove his innocence.
post #252 of 4666
The measure of a good episode to me is that you know what is going to happen, but you still react when the deed is done. The betrayal was telegraphed however they played it so long that you almost thought he was going to side with Ned Stark.

I do wonder if going into a rage and swearing vengeance is easier or hard to do while reciting a foreign/fake language to the actor. Either way it was a nice scene.
post #253 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post


If you mean me, I'm sorry my posts bother you. Certainly not my intention. As far as my thoughts on GoT, I think it's extremely well done! Best show on now.

Peace

I don't think he was talking about you
post #254 of 4666
When they told Ned that the others ran out of town, Ned should've followed them lol. Seriously, I know none of these characters are guaranteed to last long, but Ned should be dead already--you just can't make this many mistakes in the game of thrones. Why did he have a secret meeting with the queen to give her time to plan something?...Does he think everyone follows some code of honor?

I wasn't surprised that the guy in love with his wife betrayed him...afterall, he pretty much told us what he was going to do while the women were ummm...practicing. I was holding out hope though that the whore from the north was a spy in his whorehouse for Ned. And that maybe Ned was a step ahead of him....sigh.
post #255 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I don't think he was talking about you

That's good

I couldn't tell if he meant me or the guy I was quoting...I know I've posted stuff before that some disagree with but I try to have well-thought out reasons for my criticisms

I haven't posted much here mostly because I didn't have much to say - been enjoying it too much & figuring out what's going on! Now looking for more of the nuances of the story that the show probably had to gloss over...I could always read the books but I'm lazy

Thanks for your post.
post #256 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

Seriously, I know none of these characters are guaranteed to last long, but Ned should be dead already--

We may get to see that soon or thrown in a dungeon anyway.

I would agree that as much as I like Ned's code of honor, he hasn't learned to lie, cheat & steal yet to survive, literally.
post #257 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

If you mean me, I'm sorry my posts bother you. Certainly not my intention. As far as my thoughts on GoT, I think it's extremely well done! Best show on now.

No definitely wasn't you. Probably should have been clearer about that. Sorry.
post #258 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

We may get to see that soon or thrown in a dungeon anyway.

I would agree that as much as I like Ned's code of honor, he hasn't learned to lie, cheat & steal yet to survive, literally.

Yeah, see, I think that's my problem with the character of Ned Stark.

I want to like him - I have no problem with noble & honorable characters. But his complete lack of understanding of the politics of the region are making him look like an idiot. It's hard to be sympathetic with a character who makes such major mistakes. And repeatedly!

So I'm hoping to see him come around soon - or die, I guess.
post #259 of 4666
What was it tha Littlefinger said about the Starks? "Quick to anger, slow to think" I think . Really, his only chance was to make a deal along Petyr's suggestions at their last meeting...and given him anything he wanted until he could be safely eliminated. Still might not have worked as lfgr was obviously playing all sides and would eventually jump where his endgame dictated...but, my thought is that Stark would be his perfect puppet in his kingmaker scenario. The Lannisters are much harder to manipulate...especially the old man, a previous Hand and very sharp cookie.
post #260 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

Yeah, see, I think that's my problem with the character of Ned Stark.

I want to like him - I have no problem with noble & honorable characters. But his complete lack of understanding of the politics of the region are making him look like an idiot. It's hard to be sympathetic with a character who makes such major mistakes. And repeatedly!

Actually that is what I like most about his character. I don't think that makes him an idiot at all. On a battlefield Ned would probably piss all over the same people who are running rings around him in the city.

He's a man of simple ideals with good intentions and a different skillset who has little idea how to navigate the complicated and morally dubious world he now finds himself in. As the underdog in this particular scenario it will allow for a rousing comeback or a sad death.

His character probably reflects a lot of the audience too, as the majority (including myself) probably have a hard time connecting and following the many shady alliances and politicking in King's Landing.
post #261 of 4666
I think Ned isn't stupid, quite the opposite. But he's honest to a fault and severely underestimates how self serving people can be. You saw how quickly the red haired daughter jumped on the gravy train. That's the way most people are.
post #262 of 4666
Ned is a man of honor and ideals. He naively believes that there are others in the kingdom that also believe in the greater good, which unfortunately could not be farther from the truth. I don't believe he's stupid, he just doesn't understand the situation and intrigue that is around him. He also doesn't believe that the end justifies the means, which is evident in his objection to hiring an assassin to deal with Daenerys. It doesn't matter to him that her death would eliminate the threat of a Dothraki invasion.
post #263 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

I don't believe he's stupid, he just doesn't understand the situation and intrigue that is around him.

Ok that's fair - he's just really out of his element. Unfortunately that is casting him in a poor light. "Stupid" is probably the wrong word.

But he still needs a win soon, or he's dead.
post #264 of 4666
I really like Ned's character, but you have to be one step ahead of these manipulative people, and he hasn't shown he's able to play the game at all. Yeah, he figured out why the Lannisters wanted his son dead, and that the prince wasn't a prince at all--but how did he use this information? HE TOLD THE QUEEN HE KNEW AND SHE ADMITTED IT!!!....sigh, and then asked her politely to leave before he told Robert?

Ok, maybe he thought she'd flee, but when Robert came back on his death bed, he had a signed declaration by the king himself naming him the protector of the realm, and he waited until the Lannisters made their move before presenting it? I MEAN COME ON!!!! He didn't have to wait until the king's death to take the position of protector...maybe he just liked carrying around the piece of paper...sigh.

I really don't want Ned to die, but at this point I'll understand if it's needed in order to take this story to the next level.
post #265 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

HE TOLD THE QUEEN HE KNEW AND SHE ADMITTED IT!!!....sigh, and then asked her politely to leave before he told Robert?

What were Ned's options: (1) Do nothing. (2) Spill the beans to Robert, which would result in the three children being killed (and quite likely war). (3) Tell Cersie and hope that she took the children and ran in disgrace.

The problem with option 1 is that he'd have to swear fealty to someone he knew was the wrongful king, and his honor wouldn't allow it. Option 2 would be a mess...no matter how much you might hate Joffery, there's two little siblings also, and they don't deserve to die just because their father isn't who they thought it was. Plus the whole war thing. Option 3 really isn't "stupid", just overly optimistic that Cersie will abandon her pride and ambition for the sake of her children's safety and peace in the realm. Considering Ned's character, it is the best of three bad options.

Ned knew she might not run, which is why he moved quickly to set up a backup plan. He should've taken Renly's swords, but if Littlefinger hadn't double-crossed him, nobody would be calling him stupid.
post #266 of 4666
Being a man of honor, Ned definitely does not play the game well. And that's what I love about him. I want to see if there's a way for the good guy to win, without sacrificing his honor.

Has it been officially stated how many episodes there will be in this season?
post #267 of 4666
10 episodes this season.
post #268 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr25 View Post

What were Ned's options: (1) Do nothing. (2) Spill the beans to Robert, which would result in the three children being killed (and quite likely war). (3) Tell Cersie and hope that she took the children and ran in disgrace.

The problem with option 1 is that he'd have to swear fealty to someone he knew was the wrongful king, and his honor wouldn't allow it. Option 2 would be a mess...no matter how much you might hate Joffery, there's two little siblings also, and they don't deserve to die just because their father isn't who they thought it was. Plus the whole war thing. Option 3 really isn't "stupid", just overly optimistic that Cersie will abandon her pride and ambition for the sake of her children's safety and peace in the realm. Considering Ned's character, it is the best of three bad options.

Ned knew she might not run, which is why he moved quickly to set up a backup plan. He should've taken Renly's swords, but if Littlefinger hadn't double-crossed him, nobody would be calling him stupid.


No, step one: don't tell the queen you know her secret.

Step two: show Robert all of the evidence when he comes back--but if he comes back on his death bed and names you protector....

Step three: IMMEDIATELY move to secure the position with a council meeting and with the military...and I do mean as you walk out the door of the king's chamber, you let everyone know the king's words.

Step Four: As soon as you finish uttering the king's words, you tell the guards to arrest the queen.

Step Five: Contact Robert's brother and let him know what's going on that that he's the true King now.
post #269 of 4666
Robert has two brothers.
post #270 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

No, step one: don't tell the queen you know her secret.

Step two: show Robert all of the evidence when he comes back--but if he comes back on his death bed and names you protector....

Step three: IMMEDIATELY move to secure the position with a council meeting and with the military...and I do mean as you walk out the door of the king's chamber, you let everyone know the king's words.

Step Four: As soon as you finish uttering the king's words, you tell the guards to arrest the queen.

Step Five: Contact Robert's brother and let him know what's going on that that he's the true King now.

Good solution and to add to your points...once Robert went down, there are only 2 solutions only one of which avoids civil war.

1. Acknowledge Joffrey and retire. The Lannisters are not going to relinguish the throne without a fight. Do not notify Stannis or Renly that there's any question of legitamacy. The succession proceeds and Stark swallows a bitter pill.

2. As Protector form a coalition with Littlefinger and Vannis, seize the throne and isolate the pretender(s) and Mom. He would then have hostages and could decide on his options vis a vis Stannis or Renly. He could perhaps hold Lannister at bay, but probably not. Most likely, massive civil war with alot of folks dying, but he might survive. I believe Littlefinger would have supported him if Stark had followed his advice (intending to betray him later). Littlefinger would relish being kingmaker.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion