or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Lilmike's Cinema F-20
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lilmike's Cinema F-20 - Page 53

post #1561 of 1699
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte_II View Post

Their ar six magnets not eight. The only markings are 5501705, 8 ohm, made in Taiwan...
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/42617308/Speaker/speaker1.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/42617308/Speaker/speaker2.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/42617308/Speaker/speakers3.JPG

Thanks for the help.

That's an MCM 55-1705 driver. 15", 8 ohm, 3" coil.

MCM Catalog

Not a bad driver, probably not appropriate for the F-20 though. I doubt it offers much more than 5 mm of linear throw. Not a junk driver, but not the Focal Audiom it is supposed to look like either.
post #1562 of 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

That's an MCM 55-1705 driver. 15", 8 ohm, 3" coil.

MCM Catalog

Not a bad driver, probably not appropriate for the F-20 though. I doubt it offers much more than 5 mm of linear throw. Not a junk driver, but not the Focal Audiom it is supposed to look like either.

Love the ad copy:

"When only the very best will do, MCM offers the ProSeries woofers. Every aspect of these woofers
are designed for musical accuracy at the highest degree. Features include: Multicore magnet structure, butyl rubber surround, cast frame,
poly resin treated cone, accuvent pole piece, gold plated push terminals and chrome plated rear magnet assembly. You simply can’t find a
better woofer at twice the price
."


Twice $169 is $338...they say there is no chance of finding a better woofer for $338, but I would attempt to do the impossible... tongue.gif
post #1563 of 1699
too funny.
post #1564 of 1699
Well at least they were free... smile.gif Now to find a use for them.
post #1565 of 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

Comments and suggestions below.
Plate amps are very limited. If I were going to run a separate amp on an F-20 today, I'd get a smaller rack-mounted pro amp. Something like the iNuke 1000DSP will run one or two cabinets just fine, and offers very nice DSP tuning, for about $300.
See my suggestion above.

Is it really worth the money for the $300 DSP model vs the $200 non-DSP model... I will be feeding an LFE signal from my DENON which will be calibrated using the built-in Audyssey DSP for movie/music playback...

Just curious if that extra signal processing is really going to affect output quality of the sub above what the receiver is already providing... thanks for the feedback
post #1566 of 1699
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang725 View Post

Is it really worth the money for the $300 DSP model vs the $200 non-DSP model... I will be feeding an LFE signal from my DENON which will be calibrated using the built-in Audyssey DSP for movie/music playback...

Just curious if that extra signal processing is really going to affect output quality of the sub above what the receiver is already providing... thanks for the feedback

Up to you. I prefer working with an external DSP that I can "tune". The iNuke is good, as is the MiniDSP. Both have limitations though - neither is perfect.

Having worked with Audyssey and stand-alone DSP, I am currently using standalone DSP on my sub, and I've turned Audyssey off completely for the time being.

Audyssey does not offer a highpass that I'm aware of either, and at least for me - it tended to apply boost in odd ways. Without knowing what Audyssey is doing, I don't like using it.
post #1567 of 1699
If anybody is building this right now, jump on these drivers...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-514
post #1568 of 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbo View Post

If anybody is building this right now, jump on these drivers...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-514

I ordered one this morning. Hope to start the build next weekend. I received a PE catalog that listed the sale price will end 4/30.
post #1569 of 1699
With the extra xmax, the F24 may be a good option?
post #1570 of 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

If they can't blow out a candle, you've got issues...

I can blow out a candle at 3 feet with the MicroWrecker, and there was still some left in the tank at that point.

Then maybe on my bithday I will let the subs blow out the 34 candles on my cake. It might make for an interesting youtube video. haga
post #1571 of 1699
has anybody modeled the new SI / Stereo Integrity HT 15" Subwoofer? looks real interesting. i was always a fan of SI stuff back in the car audio days. i wondering how it compares to the new dayton ultimax 15 or the standard HF dayton for work in an F20.

15" D2
Re: 3.7 Ohms
Fs: 18.5 Hz
Qes: 0.37
Qms: 6.3
Qts: 0.35
Le: 3.5 mH
Sd: 80445 mm^2
Vas: 220 l
BL: 18.9
Mms: 309 g
Cms: 239
Sensitivity (1W/1M): 87.4 dB
Xmax: 22.5mm

Recommended enclosures: 15"
Sealed = 3 ft^3
Ported = 5 ft^3 tuned to 22 Hz
Cutout: 14.0"
OD: 15.5"
Mounting depth: 8"
Mounting flange to top of surround: 1.5"
Displacement: 0.19 ft^3

http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=60
post #1572 of 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxz28 View Post

has anybody modeled the new SI / Stereo Integrity HT 15" Subwoofer? looks real interesting. i was always a fan of SI stuff back in the car audio days. i wondering how it compares to the new dayton ultimax 15 or the standard HF dayton

Seeing as you have 1 post, we'll let you off on this. This sub has been modeled 7 ways from Sunday. smile.gif

Do a little searching and you'll find a slew of information on these drivers, as well as comparisons and impressions.
post #1573 of 1699
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxz28 View Post

has anybody modeled the new SI / Stereo Integrity HT 15" Subwoofer? looks real interesting. i was always a fan of SI stuff back in the car audio days. i wondering how it compares to the new dayton ultimax 15 or the standard HF dayton for work in an F20.

15" D2
Re: 3.7 Ohms
Fs: 18.5 Hz
Qes: 0.37
Qms: 6.3
Qts: 0.35
Le: 3.5 mH
Sd: 80445 mm^2
Vas: 220 l
BL: 18.9
Mms: 309 g
Cms: 239
Sensitivity (1W/1M): 87.4 dB
Xmax: 22.5mm

Recommended enclosures: 15"
Sealed = 3 ft^3
Ported = 5 ft^3 tuned to 22 Hz
Cutout: 14.0"
OD: 15.5"
Mounting depth: 8"
Mounting flange to top of surround: 1.5"
Displacement: 0.19 ft^3

http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=60

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1329971/lilmikes-cinema-f-20/1530#post_22914226

Discussed here. Works fine.
post #1574 of 1699
So, out of boredom this afternoon- I decided to try my 15 cvx in my f20 enclosure. Yes I know it doesn't model well in it, but wanted to try anyway. I pulled the side access panel off, got the mfw15 out, went to put the cvx in and BAM, too tall to fit in the opening :-( I guess it doesn't model or fit well either.
post #1575 of 1699
Just thought I would offer an updated photo of our dinner theater. We finally finished the baffle wall off with some trim. ;-)

post #1576 of 1699
Looking good!
post #1577 of 1699
I'm unsure of the AVS protocol, so apologies if it is bad form to post this in this thread, but I have two NIB MFW-15 drivers for this project available for sale here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467986/two-2-mfw-15-drivers

Thanks!
post #1578 of 1699
I recently built 2 F20's utilizing the Ultimax 15" driver. One in the front left corner (complete) and one in the rear right (fitting driver this weekend). The room is 32' x 16". Painted the F20's the same color as the walls. Cant even see'um.... tongue.gif





Excellent design. THANKS LILMIKE!!!!!
post #1579 of 1699
Great call with the Color match!!! Enjoy man!! Two with the UM driver should be killer!!! Great looking driver as well!!! I was surprised not to see more xmax out of the 15 but it still a solid performer for sure biggrin.gif
post #1580 of 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG INJUN CHIEF View Post

I recently built 2 F20's utilizing the Ultimax 15" driver. One in the front left corner (complete) and one in the rear right (fitting driver this weekend). The room is 32' x 16". Painted the F20's the same color as the walls. Cant even see'um.... tongue.gif

Nice work BIG. Now I demand measurements! biggrin.gif
I have a UM15 on the way, pretty sure i'm going the F20 route.
Edited by cogeng182 - 5/2/13 at 9:27am
post #1581 of 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Great call with the Color match!!! Enjoy man!! Two with the UM driver should be killer!!! Great looking driver as well!!! I was surprised not to see more xmax out of the 15 but it still a solid performer for sure biggrin.gif

Beast, I think I recall Jay1 mentioning that the Klippel measurements on these indicated 23 mm xmax.
Edited by cogeng182 - 5/2/13 at 9:26am
post #1582 of 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogeng182 View Post

Nice work BIG. Now I demand measurements! biggrin.gif
I have a UM15 on the way, pretty sure i'm going the F20 route.

Sorry. No measuring equipment other than my ears. Verdict = I like!! biggrin.gif
post #1583 of 1699
hi,will these plans work with what I have ? I have dual 15" cerwins with a stroker kit in them ..thanks Pete.........
post #1584 of 1699
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockon2u View Post

hi,will these plans work with what I have ? I have dual 15" cerwins with a stroker kit in them ..thanks Pete.........

No idea. Can't model things without accurate Thiele Small parameters.

The Hornresp model is attached to the first post of this thread, and the tutorial that shows how to do it is linked in my sig.
I cover how to enter Thiele Small data in maxmercy's offset-driver tutorial, which is the one you need for the F-20.
post #1585 of 1699
Hey guys, I am 95% sure I want to build two of these. A guy on the boards is selling 2 nib mfw-15s for $235 shipped. I saw a couple months back that someone was selling the same thing for $90 a piece shipped. What is your take on $235 shipped for those two drivers?
post #1586 of 1699
well, the drivers are NLA from the OEM, so you'll have to decide if the extra $55 is worth it for drivers that are becoming increasingly more rare. Your alternative is to buy new drivers from parts express, which will cost you $344 shipped to get a pair of DA RSS390HF-4 drivers.
post #1587 of 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy013 View Post

Hey guys, I am 95% sure I want to build two of these. A guy on the boards is selling 2 nib mfw-15s for $235 shipped. I saw a couple months back that someone was selling the same thing for $90 a piece shipped. What is your take on $235 shipped for those two drivers?

Ive bought a ton of those drivers. IMO $75-90 shipped is the value point and I personally wouldnt give the 90...... Anything above that and id just buy the dayton 15DVC new with a warranty with free shipping or the HF/HO depending on application.

They are NLA but theres nothing special about the driver.
post #1588 of 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddeussmith View Post

well, the drivers are NLA from the OEM, so you'll have to decide if the extra $55 is worth it for drivers that are becoming increasingly more rare. Your alternative is to buy new drivers from parts express, which will cost you $344 shipped to get a pair of DA RSS390HF-4 drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Ive bought a ton of those drivers. IMO $75-90 shipped is the value point and I personally wouldnt give the 90...... Anything above that and id just buy the dayton 15DVC new with a warranty with free shipping or the HF/HO depending on application.

They are NLA but theres nothing special about the driver.

Thanks guys! You've confirmed my growing uncertainties. I have passed on these and will probably go with the DVCs (since I only have a budget of about $800 for everything). I'm looking forward to building some of these bad boys!
post #1589 of 1699
I have one of these with the DVC 15, they will not disappoint!
post #1590 of 1699
I just refinished my deck with this stuff and found it to be a great product. Wish I had come across it when finishing my F-20's. Would have saved me hours of sanding and bondo (I semi-suck with bondo). Fills in large cracks screws and seams. Comes in ~50 different colors. Very similar to duratex. ~$25 a gallon @ Lowes.


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Lilmike's Cinema F-20