or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Turtle Beach PX5 opinions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Turtle Beach PX5 opinions - Page 3

post #61 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post


yeah because reading is a great substitute for first hand experience.


I've owned them for 2 months and they rock. There are more than a few people here on AVS that use them nightly for COD:BO and feel like I do about them.

You can definately get deep bass with the PX5 because unlike every other gaming headphone on the market you can customize the sound you hear from the headphones.
Want more footsteps? More gunfire? More explosions?
The onboard processor comes with 10 presets built in, one of which is enhanced bass and treble, but if that's not enough you can create your own custom presets and save them to the headphones for use.

Here's what I'd suggest....buy them from Amazon or Best Buy. Try them for a few days and if you don't like them put them back in the box and return it for a refund.

I picked them up 2 weeks ago and I love them so far. I know there are other headphones out there that could out perform the px5's sound wise but the added features make them hard to pass up.
post #62 of 176
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0ldMembe12 View Post

I picked them up 2 weeks ago and I love them so far. I know there are other headphones out there that could out perform the px5's sound wise but the added features make them hard to pass up.

Have you experienced any audio interference at all?
post #63 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21 View Post

Have you experienced any audio interference at all?

A little interference from my iPad and iPhone when they first connect to wifi but nothing extreme and certainly not a deal breaker. Minor interference is to be expected I think.
post #64 of 176
Before I buy I wanna confirm something.
Rather than hooking optical out from my 360 I can hook it right into the optical port of my tv (vt25) and use the headset for everything connected to my tv? (360, sat, blu ray, ect.)
post #65 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rad4 View Post

Before I buy I wanna confirm something.
Rather than hooking optical out from my 360 I can hook it right into the optical port of my tv (vt25) and use the headset for everything connected to my tv? (360, sat, blu ray, ect.)


Does your tv have an optical out?
Technically yes. The PX5 basestation accepts optical in.
BUT
per US Copyright law televisions sold in the USA do not output multi-channel audio unless it is from OTA broadcasts. This was inserted in the law by the MPAA/RIAA to prevent piracy.
So the audio that you pass through your tv from a Blu-Ray or the 360 will be output by your TV as PCM 2.0 stereo audio.
post #66 of 176
So I will get audio but not the surround?
How will the quality be? Also what cheaper options exist with an optical in port? I do not need the mic for ps3/360.
post #67 of 176
Hi - We're having trouble with a brand-new PX5. On the right cup, there is sound but none of the LEDs work and the boothtooth button won't work so pairing is impossible. We have a PS3 and we can't see it in the settings menu. Thanks for any suggestions before I attempt to return. gail
post #68 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaildz View Post

Hi - We're having trouble with a brand-new PX5. On the right cup, there is sound but none of the LEDs work and the boothtooth button won't work so pairing is impossible. We have a PS3 and we can't see it in the settings menu. Thanks for any suggestions before I attempt to return. gail

return it.
post #69 of 176
Thread Starter 
I´m going to import this product. But reading about the defect on this thread, make me wonder if i should try another product instead.

I can´t use the Warranty since i´m importing it and the Shipping cost is too expensive to use it if i need to use the warranty.
post #70 of 176
The px 5 has been out for awhile now, so anyone care to share their settings/tweaks for black ops(footsteps) on the adavnced sound editor?
post #71 of 176
Thread Starter 
i just got it last week, didn´t put too much time on it, but so far so good. I´m shock how nice it sounds. The surround sound is very good.
post #72 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike08 View Post

The px 5 has been out for awhile now, so anyone care to share their settings/tweaks for black ops(footsteps) on the adavnced sound editor?

I like to leave the sound mostly flat with a small increase to the Hi freq and a medium increase to the bass in the EQ not the sound enhancer as tweaks to the sound enhancer can diminish surround and I got this for the surround.

If you are using the advanced sound editor be advised that extreme level adjustment can have negative consequences. I just hook the headset up to the computer and try spectating a game or combat training and tweak the settings on the fly to how I like them.
post #73 of 176
Thread Starter 
Same here. I use mostly Flat. I was playing around with preset4 but it looks too artificial to my liking. And i lose some detail on some frequencies. So i just leave it the main preset. They does sound great.
post #74 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21 View Post

Same here. I use mostly Flat. I was playing around with preset4 but it looks too artificial to my liking. And i lose some detail on some frequencies. So i just leave it the main preset. They does sound great.

I made a custom pre-set using DH flat as my start point, then added I think about plus 5 of low freq in the equaliser for some nice gun and grenade sound, I also raised the second one in (just beside the low) by one or two and the highest one by one for the footsteps.
This seems to strike a nice balance between keeping the surround while not getting a tinny sound.
The XBA chat adapter is now available for purchase, but I cant get it yet as I'm not in the US, well hope its out here soon.
post #75 of 176
Dude, don't worry about these So Called Audiophiles. I have the PX5's and LOVE them. I am all about Wireless. I have a Toslink Switch and use the PX5's on my PC (Crysis 2 Sounds Great, so does listening to my Music Collection). I also use them on my WiFi Xoom via Bluetooth. I surf the net and listen to my Music collection at the same time. The Greatest thing about the PX5's is I can answer my HTC EVO while playing a PS3 game. AWESOME. What other setup can do all this WIRELESSLY. PX5's are INCREDIBLE!!! Plus I have 8 presets to do what I want with. I have a pair of TB X41's and the PX5's Sound ALOT BETTER. It is 4ft from my Router too and right next to my HDTV and I getNO Hissing or Popping.
post #76 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfame View Post
Dude, don't worry about these So Called Audiophiles. I have the PX5's and LOVE them. I am all about Wireless. I have a Toslink Switch and use the PX5's on my PC (Crysis 2 Sounds Great, so does listening to my Music Collection). I also use them on my WiFi Xoom via Bluetooth. I surf the net and listen to my Music collection at the same time. The Greatest thing about the PX5's is I can answer my HTC EVO while playing a PS3 game. AWESOME. What other setup can do all this WIRELESSLY. PX5's are INCREDIBLE!!! Plus I have 8 presets to do what I want with. I have a pair of TB X41's and the PX5's Sound ALOT BETTER. It is 4ft from my Router too and right next to my HDTV and I getNO Hissing or Popping.
Yea they are good. do you have any custom setups you wish to share?
post #77 of 176
I've had mine for just under 4 months now and have loved them sonce the first time I put them on.
Personally, to me it has better sound quality than my $800 home theater system so they are definitely worth the $300 pricetag here in Australia. I've never had any problems with sound dropping out or RF interference. I don't use them in the same room as my router, but my PS3, Xbox 360 and PC are all in the same room connected to the router via wifi and I've had no problems. The only time I get any kinda signal drop out or popping is if I go walkabout into the kitchen or something and there's two solid brick walls between me and the transmitter.
The presets are pretty cool. I only really use presets 4 (Bass and Treble boost) and 7 (footstep mastery). 7 is for when I play free for all on Black Ops using the ninja perk of course and 4 is for virtually everything else. I used the preset editor to swap some around. I replaced the main preset with the footstep mastery preset so I can just hit the main button to go from 4 to main (which is now the same as 7) and I downloaded the dead space presets and put them in 1 and 2.
I find them to be very comfortable and can wear them for hours at a time without a problem. My only real complaint is the microphone monitoring doesn't seem to work very well if at all. With it you are supposed to be able to hear yourself in the headset to prevent shouting but I never can. I even edited all my presets to use the Loud Mic Monitoring option but still no luck. It's not a big deal but it would be great if it worked for me.
Anybody that buys one won't regret it. Turtle Beach also have very good support through their facebook page. They reply to every single question or problem quickly. Sometimes within minutes.
Since I got mine, at least two of my friends have bought one after trying it out and two or three more are planning on getting one.
post #78 of 176
I bought these a few days ago and at first I wasn't THAT impressed with the sound, but they have grown on me. I cranked up the bass in the advanced settings and now they sound pretty awesome on MW2. Buy from amazon and try them out. They're worth at least that. I think I'll be keeping mine.
post #79 of 176
I've had my PX5 headset for several
months now and I'll admit, at first I wasn't blown away. No matter how much I adjusted the transmitter, I kept hearing a constant hum or hiss that was especially noticeable during low game volumes.

After some forum searching, I fixed the problem: instead of powering the transmitter by connecting it to your console's USB, plug it into a compatible AC power adapter (such as an older iPhone adapter or the official Turtle Beach unit; check the power specs). The ground loop noise is completely gone, and I can now wholeheartedly recommend these headphones.

They sound excellent, especially with the main and treble+bass booster presets. Im currently playing Deus Ex, and Adam's gravely voice sounds as impressive as the explosions and music. Mine are hooked up to my Onkyo TX-sr608 via headphone jack (1/4 to 3mm y-adapter RCA). That way, I can use them for all my consoles and devices. I've also used them while playing Sword & Sworcery on iPad via Bluetooth. I highly recommend it.

Great wireless surround sound in a compact, yet comfortable design.
post #80 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrp View Post

I've had my PX5 headset for several
months now and I'll admit, at first I wasn't blown away. No matter how much I adjusted the transmitter, I kept hearing a constant hum or hiss that was especially noticeable during low game volumes.

After some forum searching, I fixed the problem: instead of powering the transmitter by connecting it to your console's USB, plug it into a compatible AC power adapter (such as an older iPhone adapter or the official Turtle Beach unit; check the power specs). The ground loop noise is completely gone, and I can now wholeheartedly recommend these headphones.

They sound excellent, especially with the main and treble+bass booster presets. Im currently playing Deus Ex, and Adam's gravely voice sounds as impressive as the explosions and music. Mine are hooked up to my Onkyo TX-sr608 via headphone jack (1/4 to 3mm y-adapter RCA). That way, I can use them for all my consoles and devices. I've also used them while playing Sword & Sworcery on iPad via Bluetooth. I highly recommend it.

Great wireless surround sound in a compact, yet comfortable design.

These have reduced tiffs with the wife by 100%! I got these along with Gear 3 on Amazon. I'm on A band with my xbox, G with the PS3, cellphone, and laptop. NO hiss whatsoever. No interference. I can't complain. I have the USB plugged in via USB on my TV and an optical splitter. Watching cable now as she reads.
post #81 of 176
Thinking about these.
Ive had two sets of turtle beach entry level wired sets always thought the sound was "pretty good" mostly because they pushed bass without distortion in games. For music movies always thought they were "ok".

However when my current set broke I realized I could just use a regular set of wireless headphones and use a cheap mic for game chat. Not ideal but right now priority is Sound Quality for games movies music.

How would these compare strictly in terms of SQ to say

Older ear force wired sets like x1
Sennheiser RS-170s
SE-DIR800C

Is it close enough the PX5 features win out or is SQ still in the realm of "gaming headphones" as opposed to good standard headphones.
post #82 of 176
I'm considering getting this set for gaming (Black Ops, bfbc2) but I'm wondering about the bluetooth chat.

I have a bluetooth remote control for the PS3, would there be issues with using that? I heard that only one bluetooth device can be paired to the PS3 at one time.

I also have a splitfish fragfx wireless that I use for as a controller, and it uses a wireless dongle. Can I expect to have a problem with that?
post #83 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOMCAT View Post

I'm considering getting this set for gaming (Black Ops, bfbc2) but I'm wondering about the bluetooth chat.

I have a bluetooth remote control for the PS3, would there be issues with using that? I heard that only one bluetooth device can be paired to the PS3 at one time.

I also have a splitfish fragfx wireless that I use for as a controller, and it uses a wireless dongle. Can I expect to have a problem with that?

I have the sony bluetooth remote that works great when my PX5 is connected to PSN chat.
I know a few who use the spitfish fragfx & fragfx 360 with their PS3 & Xbox 360, without issue.


To the other poster above regarding the AV720 to PX5
I feel the Xtra bass & treble setting on the PX5 was more then sufficiently better then the AV720, which is one headset I had liked alot, however, you can add an EQ setting, with even more bass, which surpasses the AV720, like it's standing still. While you can hear footsteps with the AV720, you cannot tell whether they are above, below, forward, or behind, as you can with, everything, from clip reloads, crossbow releases, to location sensors activating, with the PX5

To the poster asking about break in time. After having these for 1 month &1 week I feel they sound even better, then when they were new.
post #84 of 176
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by storquer View Post

I made a custom pre-set using DH flat as my start point, then added I think about plus 5 of low freq in the equaliser for some nice gun and grenade sound, I also raised the second one in (just beside the low) by one or two and the highest one by one for the footsteps.
This seems to strike a nice balance between keeping the surround while not getting a tinny sound.
The XBA chat adapter is now available for purchase, but I cant get it yet as I'm not in the US, well hope its out here soon.

So you set low at 5 and mid1 at 2 ?

have you tweak any other setting?

I want to rise the bass but the preset is too high for my liking. You miss treble sound detail on the bass preset setting.
post #85 of 176
I use an AD700 with mixamp and labtec mic instead. I originally had a turtle beach headset for gaming, but comfort issues and hissing issues lead me elsewhere. I can't see the PX5 being the clearest sounding headset either, knowing that it's made by turtle beach.
post #86 of 176
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

I use an AD700 with mixamp and labtec mic instead. I originally had a turtle beach headset for gaming, but comfort issues and hissing issues lead me elsewhere. I can't see the PX5 being the clearest sounding headset either, knowing that it's made by turtle beach.

ok, moving on then...

anyone else can help me to achieve the most original audio as possible but with a bit of more bass.

I´m wondering on playing around with low and Mid1 sliders but i´m not sure if these are correct.
post #87 of 176
Was looking to buy but I didn't for two reasons:

-if you have an HT receiver, make sure it has OPT out (my Onkyo 3008 does not)

-I have a Macbook Pro and the software is PC only so no go for me

After checking various solutions, I settled on just buying a headphone extension cable and using my Klipsch Image One cans. Sure, it's stereo, wired, and BT-less with no microphone but the sound quality and lack of dropouts or interference (obviously) cannot be matched.

And yes, I'm an audiophile and I will sacrifice wireless for sound quality. As good as the PX5s probably are, I doubt they can match the sound from over the ear cans from Klipsch, Sennheiser, B&W, Beats, etc.
post #88 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

I use an AD700 with mixamp and labtec mic instead. I originally had a turtle beach headset for gaming, but comfort issues and hissing issues lead me elsewhere. I can't see the PX5 being the clearest sounding headset either, knowing that it's made by turtle beach.

I've had my PX5s since launch, tried the Mixamp+Astro A40s before that, and have never had any problems.
Love the way they sound, the way they feel, the fact that the EQ is customizable, and the way they integrate via bluetooth with my Macbook, iPhone, etc...

Many people complain about "hissing" but very few actually try to find a solution. If you check the TB CS forums for answers you'll find everything you need to know. The truth though is that if you have interference it's your own damn fault for having too many devices on the same RF as the PX5s.

BTW - I found the Mixamp to be a joke. It's not made for ppl who care about audio quality.
While it is on the right RF it's a piss poor device for the simple reason that you don't have individual controls over all your audio incoming sources.
On the PX5s you can control the game volume, the chat volume, and the Bluetooth volume individually giving you the ability to truly "mix" the audio you hear.
You can't do that on the Mixamp though.
All you get is fader knob is a joke and a master volume.
Anyone who knows anything or cares about game audio would never buy a unit like this.
post #89 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post


And yes, I'm an audiophile and I will sacrifice wireless for sound quality. As good as the PX5s probably are, I doubt they can match the sound from over the ear cans from Klipsch, Sennheiser, B&W, Beats, etc.

You are comparing apples to oranges as none of those are the same kind of headphones as the PX5.
The PX5s have onboard audio processing, which makes them sort of a "smart" headphone that you can program, change EQ, etc...
Most of your typical stereo headphones do not have those features.
They PX5s are made for gaming, most headphones are made for listening music.
So while the quality of the speakers and drivers might be similar the fact that there is a computer chip in the PX5s effecting the way the audio sounds makes it stand apart from the rest.
post #90 of 176
Hi I know these don't support DTS what would be a way around it. My Intention is to use them with a Blu Ray player as well as the xbox (Gaming should be fine as its Dolby Digital)
Most of the Blu Rays I watch recently have DTS-MA so I can get the DTS core audio out through optical. I know there is a way to do this on PS3 but unfortunately I don't intend to buy a PS3. Has anyone tried a DTS signal on these what happens? My Older Pioneer SIR-800C accepts both but is on its last legs and replacement headset is almost the same price as these so I would rather get the PX5 but would like to know all the potential issues.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Turtle Beach PX5 opinions