or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Broken DENON AVR-3808CI RECEIVER -- replacement advice? what to do with this one?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Broken DENON AVR-3808CI RECEIVER -- replacement advice? what to do with this one?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I have the DENON AVR-3808CI 3808 7.1 RECEIVER HDMA 1.3A 1080P and it powers up fine, but doesn't output HDMI or sound or anything. So I took it to an authorized DENON dealer for repair and they replaced one of the boards. That didn't fix it... so, the next step is to repair the main board, which brings the total repair cost up to $450 or so--and this may not fix the problem. For about $550, you can buy a refurbished unit of the AVR-3808 so I hesitate in going further with a 2nd board replacement.

My questions are...

1. What do I do with this receiver if I decide not to go further with it? Is it of value to anyone out there for parts or anything?

2. What is a comparable receiver to the 3808 -- do I go 3300 or 4300 or 4800 and why?

Thanks,

Rob
post #2 of 11
Ouch yeah I'd prolly just buy another unit...you might have a "lemon" as they say. Can I ask how you used the receiver that lead to this happening? was it used 24/7 kind of deal, did you always leave it on, play it @ really high volumes? Not trying to knock you or sound like a ash, Im just curious if it was just a 'lemon' or if you may have done something to contribute to this?
post #3 of 11
This is my big issue with Denon.... for a supposedly hi-end product, they only supply a one year warranty.... Onkyo has a two year warranty and Sony has a five-year warranty on their ES product line... I had a DVD3930CI and a AVR-3803 both failing right after the warranty expired.... After spending $3000 on them, you would think they would be more reliable, but no. If you look in the DVD player thread, the 3930/2930 models have a high failure rate in their laser transport.
post #4 of 11
All products have failures, and fwiw my Denon 3803, dvd-2200 & dcm-380 that I purchased 7 years ago still work like a champ. Buying an extended warranty for them would have been a bad investment.

In regards to the OP, I for one would not spend ~$450 repairing his old receiver. Instead I would buy current technology such as a brand new avr-891 or better depending on your needs.
post #5 of 11
Well, seeing the first repair by the authorised Denon service agent didn't fix the problem I would be looking at a full refund for that little exercise and put it towards the second repair which should make it relatively painless, assuming that this time they fix the problem 100%
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
This is my big issue with Denon.... for a supposedly hi-end product, they only supply a one year warranty.... Onkyo has a two year warranty and Sony has a five-year warranty on their ES product line... I had a DVD3930CI and a AVR-3803 both failing right after the warranty expired.... After spending $3000 on them, you would think they would be more reliable, but no. If you look in the DVD player thread, the 3930/2930 models have a high failure rate in their laser transport.
Denon has chaged that because alot of the new Denons have 3 year warrenties. The 2311 and 3311 did and the new 2112, 2312 and 3312 all have 3 year warrenties. My 3310 has a 2 year warrenty.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
This is my big issue with Denon.... for a supposedly hi-end product, they only supply a one year warranty.... Onkyo has a two year warranty and Sony has a five-year warranty on their ES product line... I had a DVD3930CI and a AVR-3803 both failing right after the warranty expired.... After spending $3000 on them, you would think they would be more reliable, but no. If you look in the DVD player thread, the 3930/2930 models have a high failure rate in their laser transport.
When did Denon only have a 1 year warranty?

I thought it was 2 years minimum?
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
When did Denon only have a 1 year warranty?

I thought it was 2 years minimum?
Here is a link to the Denon warranty periods by product category..

http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/...NEW-July10.pdf

Just my $0.02...
post #9 of 11
Beginning with last year's AVRs, the "CI" models have a 3 year warranty and the non-CI models have a 2 year warranty. The exception is the A100 which has a 5 year warranty.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MageMan View Post

I have the DENON AVR-3808CI 3808 7.1 RECEIVER HDMA 1.3A 1080P and it powers up fine, but doesn't output HDMI or sound or anything. So I took it to an authorized DENON dealer for repair and they replaced one of the boards. That didn't fix it... so, the next step is to repair the main board, which brings the total repair cost up to $450 or so--and this may not fix the problem. For about $550, you can buy a refurbished unit of the AVR-3808 so I hesitate in going further with a 2nd board replacement.

My questions are...

1. What do I do with this receiver if I decide not to go further with it? Is it of value to anyone out there for parts or anything?

2. What is a comparable receiver to the 3808 -- do I go 3300 or 4300 or 4800 and why?

Thanks,

Rob

Same exact thing happened to me...only they quoted $700. The 4811 is the one to go to, the 3xxx are actually a step downward. Denon redid their numbering scheme.
post #11 of 11
Also, as a note, I called around to several parts stores, as well as contacted both the official repair centers and such, and they all said Denon will not let anyone sell the Main Board....you have to send it in for repair.

I gave mine to a friend who is going to gut it for parts.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Broken DENON AVR-3808CI RECEIVER -- replacement advice? what to do with this one?