or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Pioneer VSX-1121 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer VSX-1121 Owner's Thread - Page 12

post #331 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDClown View Post

That's pretty much it for me. Plugged it into my network and the receiver shows up as a speaker option iTunes. I selected the receiver, hit play on a song and the receiver flipped over to H.M.G and music started to play.

I did update the receiver to the newest firmware before trying this, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micker View Post

I had the same problem . Rebooted the router a couple times and it showed up fine suddenly.

very interesting, i also did the update. i noticed that when i attempted to do it via the internet i kept getting a network error over and over again. hmmm

i'll try assigning static IPs to everything and see if that makes it any better, otherwise i'm not sure what's up.

it couldn't be port forwarding because the apple tv2 wasn't forwarded at all and it's working just fine, will report back :/
post #332 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by inexion View Post

very interesting, i also did the update. i noticed that when i attempted to do it via the internet i kept getting a network error over and over again. hmmm

i'll try assigning static IPs to everything and see if that makes it any better, otherwise i'm not sure what's up.

it couldn't be port forwarding because the apple tv2 wasn't forwarded at all and it's working just fine, will report back :/

I tried to update over the internet and it failed, but I know the receiver was on the internet, as HMG saw my NAS. I didn't think much of it and just updated via USB stick.
post #333 of 3289
"yup. it will convert component in to hdmi out....

it will not convert hdmi in to component out though... no avr will, as this is a no-no...
__________________
- chris




Thank you. I tried it and as you said,it worked.
post #334 of 3289
I reconnected my speakers several time and still get the shut-off. It also happens with my speakers disconnected. I think it is a problem with the amp. Does anyone else find it odd that you can not update the firmware via the internet and have to use a USB key for the upgrade. The Denon has a much better network interface so that you can control the unit from any pc on the network and not just an Apple device.
post #335 of 3289
I'm in the market for a new AVr. My choices have been narrowed down to 1021, Yamaha, or Denon.

My question to you is this: Is there any reason to buy the 1121? If you look through this entire thread, it's littered with "I have a problem" posts which has me concerned.

Are the benefits worth the trouble this receiver comes with?
post #336 of 3289
I have purchased it and it is shipping from newegg. I need help with speakers. which speakers should i pair with it ? any suggestions ?
what did you buy to pair with it ?
post #337 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarat View Post

I'm in the market for a new AVr. My choices have been narrowed down to 1021, Yamaha, or Denon.

My question to you is this: Is there any reason to buy the 1121? If you look through this entire thread, it's littered with "I have a problem" posts which has me concerned.

Are the benefits worth the trouble this receiver comes with?

any specific "troubles" you are referring to? keep in mind 2 things:

1) generally speaking, only people who have problems post

2) many (most?) of those problems are between the keyboard and the chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjutt View Post

I have purchased it and it is shipping from newegg. I need help with speakers. which speakers should i pair with it ? any suggestions ?
what did you buy to pair with it ?

whatever ones you like the sound of... post in the speaker forum a budget, speakers you've heard and liked/disliked, etc. the guys there will point you in the right direction...

unlike electronics, speakers are highly subjective... what i like, you may despise (and vice versa)...
post #338 of 3289
I have had U-Verse for over a year. Initially its HDMI output was fed to the HDMI input of a different receiver.

About 2 months ago I purchased the 1121-K, which I leave on 24 hrs, and connected the U-Verse box (called the box as we go on) to an HDMI input of the 1121-K. All was well for about a couple of weeks. Then I noticed that the box was, at times, recycling its start up procedure. This continued to get worse until I felt I needed to get a tech out here. BTW, I also had a box on 2 other TV'S which did not indicate any trouble through out.

Technician came and couldn't find anything after lots of checks but replaced the box. All well again for about a week then all repeated. Another box and then on the 4th try switched boxes and and exchanged bedroom non-dvr box with the a new DVR box in the bedroom and only put a tv box in the place of the one that was always going bad.

Well no good, after overnight I noticed the non dvr box was starting to show repeated restarts.

Well, for some time I had thoughts that the HDMI connection to my 1121-K and the U-Verse box maybe the problem since there have been reports of HDMI problems with the U-Verse boxes but I could not find a similar case on the web.

But I went ahead ahead and connected the box to a component input with an optical audio input. (I hated doing that.)

Well, that seems to have stopped the problem. I then did some more Google searching and finally found a similar case in the forum "http://www.uverseusers.com/"

Again U-Verse does not tell you anything about and all 4 techs and the call center did not say or know anything about this problem. But, as I mentioned there has been some reports of HDMI problems and some techs have been quoted as saying they won't use HDMI and only use the component, if available.

This receiver uses an HDMI 1.4 version and after a long review of the manual ,I did find a very short paragraph that states that this receiver HDMI may have some problems with some equipment. No reasons or what equipment .

I am glad I have it fixed but I am disturbed at both U-Verse and Pioneer about the poor knowledge and information.

I am in the third day now and all is well. I almost went back to Time Warner. I would have if this fix didn't work.
I wish I knew what was the exact cause of the problem with the HDMI connections. These are first class HDMI cables and certified for ver 1.4 HDMI.

BTW, all of this is with a home theater system that has 4 other pieces of equipment connected to the 1121-K with no troubles. Lots of care with all cables and surge protectors,etc. I have a background of life long electronics.

Al
post #339 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehill View Post

I have had U-Verse for over a year. Initially its HDMI output was fed to the HDMI input of a different receiver.

About 2 months ago I purchased the 1121-K, which I leave on 24 hrs, and connected the U-Verse box (called the box as we go on) to an HDMI input of the 1121-K. All was well for about a couple of weeks. Then I noticed that the box was, at times, recycling its start up procedure. This continued to get worse until I felt I needed to get a tech out here. BTW, I also had a box on 2 other TV'S which did not indicate any trouble through out.

Technician came and couldn't find anything after lots of checks but replaced the box. All well again for about a week then all repeated. Another box and then on the 4th try switched boxes and and exchanged bedroom non-dvr box with the a new DVR box in the bedroom and only put a tv box in the place of the one that was always going bad.

Well no good, after overnight I noticed the non dvr box was starting to show repeated restarts.

Well, for some time I had thoughts that the HDMI connection to my 1121-K and the U-Verse box maybe the problem since there have been reports of HDMI problems with the U-Verse boxes but I could not find a similar case on the web.

But I went ahead ahead and connected the box to a component input with an optical audio input. (I hated doing that.)

Well, that seems to have stopped the problem. I then did some more Google searching and finally found a similar case in the forum "http://www.uverseusers.com/"

Again U-Verse does not tell you anything about and all 4 techs and the call center did not say or know anything about this problem. But, as I mentioned there has been some reports of HDMI problems and some techs have been quoted as saying they won't use HDMI and only use the component, if available.

This receiver uses an HDMI 1.4 version and after a long review of the manual ,I did find a very short paragraph that states that this receiver HDMI may have some problems with some equipment. No reasons or what equipment .

I am glad I have it fixed but I am disturbed at both U-Verse and Pioneer about the poor knowledge and information.

I am in the third day now and all is well. I almost went back to Time Warner. I would have if this fix didn't work.
I wish I knew what was the exact cause of the problem with the HDMI connections. These are first class HDMI cables and certified for ver 1.4 HDMI.

BTW, all of this is with a home theater system that has 4 other pieces of equipment connected to the 1121-K with no troubles. Lots of care with all cables and surge protectors,etc. I have a background of life long electronics.

Al

Just a question but reading more and more about the HDMI standard I'll ask a couple questions.. I have uVerse as well and should be getting my 1121 tomorrow so I'm concerned about this..

You say that the cables are 1.4 certified.. are they High Speed HDMI Cables?? Can the uVerse box even output at 1080p?? Reason I'm asking is that just because a cable is 1.4 certified it is not rated for 1080p it might not have the bandwidth needed for the enhanced data.

High Speed HDMI Cable Spec
The High Speed HDMI cable is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies such as 4K, 3D, and Deep Color. If you are using any of these technologies, or if you are connecting your 1080p display to a 1080p content source, such as a Blu-ray Disc player, this is the recommended cable.
post #340 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarat View Post

I'm in the market for a new AVr. My choices have been narrowed down to 1021, Yamaha, or Denon.

My question to you is this: Is there any reason to buy the 1121? If you look through this entire thread, it's littered with "I have a problem" posts which has me concerned.

Are the benefits worth the trouble this receiver comes with?

You will find problems in all the forums..lol I am liking my 1121 so far. I have a Yamaha 663 in perfect shape with the box that I'll sell you if you want a Yamaha. Main reason I upgraded was so I can listen to Sirius Internet Radio.
post #341 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmpsi View Post

Just a question but reading more and more about the HDMI standard I'll ask a couple questions.. I have uVerse as well and should be getting my 1121 tomorrow so I'm concerned about this..

You say that the cables are 1.4 certified.. are they High Speed HDMI Cables?? Can the uVerse box even output at 1080p?? Reason I'm asking is that just because a cable is 1.4 certified it is not rated for 1080p it might not have the bandwidth needed for the enhanced data.

High Speed HDMI Cable Spec
The High Speed HDMI cable is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies such as 4K, 3D, and Deep Color. If you are using any of these technologies, or if you are connecting your 1080p display to a 1080p content source, such as a Blu-ray Disc player, this is the recommended cable.

Yes they are high speed cables that I use for everything. No the U-verse can only do 1080I. Therefore they cables are quite sufficient. The 1121 does allow for everything I know of. However, I suspect that that the U verse only compliant on some old functions and may no be even correct. There are to many reports of problems for it not to be cause.
I have a blu-ray player, an old Sony DVD changer, a homemade HTTP, a Squeezebox and a ROKU (new version) hooked up to the receiver as well with no trouble.
post #342 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

You will find problems in all the forums..lol I am liking my 1121 so far. I have a Yamaha 663 in perfect shape with the box that I'll sell you if you want a Yamaha. Main reason I upgraded was so I can listen to Sirius Internet Radio.

Alan, how is sound quality compared to the 663? I have a RXV-2095 hooked up to to pairs of Klipsch RF-7's, considering the 1121, or the VSX-52 / 53 for zone2 audio.

Where I'm confused is with Yamaha they have speaker A & B for front and rear main speakres, can you set-up this the same with the 1121?
Thanks.
post #343 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by inexion View Post

I'm having this same issue as well, all of my computers and idevices have home sharing turned on, we're on the same network, i've rebooted everything, and the receiver still doesn't show up in itunes or on the idevices as an airplay option. was thinking about going to get an apple tv real quick and see if that changes things but i figured the airplay functionality would work right out of the box....

I came across this issue too and I also could not setup Pandora as well. First thing I did was run the firmware update on the vsx-1121k with a USB drive. I then logged onto my Linksys router checked my setup to make sure I had enough users allocated, then checked the DHCP Clients table to make sure if a new device was there with it's mac address and assigned IP address(make sure receiver is turned on and connected to your LAN). Next, I executed a DHCP renew on the router. After renewing the DHCP address's AIRPLAY started to work. I verified airplay worked on both my PC's using iTunes, my Ipad and IPOD Touch. I was also able to setup Pandora and run the AVNavigator and iControlAV2 apps too. Hopefully this works for you!
post #344 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post

HDMI pass through worked perfectly for me right out of the box, using dish network receiver, ps3 and 360.

Can you explain how you got HDMI pass through to work for you. I also have Dish Network and a PS3 but, can't get HDMI pass through to work for me. I do have HDMI Control set to ON. Thanks!
post #345 of 3289
I just saw sc-35 on costco back on sale for 750. is sc-35 much better than 1121-k?
post #346 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Alan, how is sound quality compared to the 663? I have a RXV-2095 hooked up to to pairs of Klipsch RF-7's, considering the 1121, or the VSX-52 / 53 for zone2 audio.

Where I'm confused is with Yamaha they have speaker A & B for front and rear main speakres, can you set-up this the same with the 1121?
Thanks.

Not sure about the speaker setup. The Pioneer has a more punchy sound with it's auto setup than than Yamaha did with its auto setup. Movies have a lot more impact. The Yamaha always sounded a little blah..maybe that was more accurate but who knows. I like the sound of the Pioneer better.
post #347 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjutt View Post

I just saw sc-35 on costco back on sale for 750. is sc-35 much better than 1121-k?

Careful, that's the SC-35, not the new Elite VSX-53, I remember reading many liked the SC-35, but not sure if the video scaler / processor is better with the newer models, like the 1121, vsx-52/53, and airplay, icontrol2, etc.
I think costco doubles the manufacturers warranty, so maybe.... Amazon has the VSX-53 for less than you posted above.....
post #348 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

OK, that's the SC-35 been discontinued, not the new Elite VSX-53

Amazon has the VSX-53 for less than you posted above.....

But Costco has no limit on returns for receivers...you could return for a full refund in 2 or more years. A plus for sure. I bought the original HD-DVD player from Costco.com. Nearly 2 years later when they threw in the towel on the format I asked the store about returning it. They said no problem and gave me a full refund! Try that at Best Buy or Amazon!! lol
post #349 of 3289
Hey gang. Can an owner please confirm that the VSX-1121 can in fact play AirPlay simultaneously in the main listening area AND zone 2 (pre-out)? Anyone tried this and had good luck? Running a separate Zone 2 amp with 2 kitchen speakers and 4 patio speakers. Hoping to send iTunes music from my networked iMac to all speakers (zone 1 and zone 2) using Airplay. iMac and VSX-1121 would both be on the network via router. Thanks!
post #350 of 3289
Just saw Yamaha RX-V867 on sale for 399. how does it compare to 1121-k ?
post #351 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

If he had a short in the line the amp would not work at all. Did he try to play music or audio before running the speaker setup? If it plays but only shuts down when running the setup there is a defect. If it won't play at all the speaker wiring would be suspect.

With mine, when you turn up that channel it would get to a point where too much power is going through and shut the whole thing down. I would then go in and cut the line where I attached the Banana Plugs, reattach them and it would work fine. So, First thing I would do is check your connectors and especially the ones on whatever channel is causing it to shut down.
post #352 of 3289
Will this one pass the 3D signal from Direct TV? The 1120k did not last time I checked.
post #353 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjutt View Post

I have purchased it and it is shipping from newegg. I need help with speakers. which speakers should i pair with it ? any suggestions ?
what did you buy to pair with it ?

I prefer Polk...Inexpensive and damn good.
post #354 of 3289
A review for the VSX-1021k just went up on Secrets of Home Theater High Fidelity. They said it is feature packed but lacks in the audio amp.
Does the VSX-1121k use the same amp? What about the Elite VSX-52/53?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/recei...-receiver.html

Mike
post #355 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_guy View Post

A review for the VSX-1021k just went up on Secrets of Home Theater High Fidelity. They said it is feature packed but lacks in the audio amp.
Does the VSX-1121k use the same amp? What about the Elite VSX-52/53?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/recei...-receiver.html

Mike

My understanding is that it's completely different, it's more like the Elite 52 than the 1021.. Basically everything the same on the inside minus dual HDMI out and remote triggers.

I just received my 1121 today from NewEgg and what an amazing piece of hardware.. It's been a while since I upgraded my home theater and this is a MAJOR jump forward.. the MCACC setup was really impressive.. seemed to work perfectly and after on a few min of watching Band of Brothers I have to say it sounds amazing and a lot more depth compared to the Yamaha I was replacing.. Did the firmware upgrade via USB, network didn't work but that's no biggy.. So far very impressed will definitely plan on playing with it a lot more tonight but Pioneer seems to have it going on with this unit!!! Thank you AVS after 2 months of research I feel like I made the right choice!
post #356 of 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInNVa View Post

I prefer Polk...Inexpensive and damn good.

I have Polk as well and love them for the money I think they are hard to beat.
post #357 of 3289
Just got this to replace 1020-k. MCACC seems better, comes with different MIC and the set up works a little different. MCACC worked much more accurate. AirPlay is awesome...just what I needed.
post #358 of 3289
Actually, I have a very strange problem, it didn't do it with my VSX-1020. Every time I turn off my kitchen lights my sub thumps really loud. But doesn't do it if I unplug the line-in to the sub.
I know nothing about electrical stuff really. But the light switch turns off the socket it is plugged in to..but only the top socket of the 2. I guess I could understand it doing this...but why now all the sudden with the new receiver and not the old one? Any ideas please? Can't turn off lights with out it thumping super loud.
post #359 of 3289
I tried plugging both the receiver and the sub far away from the socket that is controlled by the switch but it's still doing it. This is a deal breaker!!! It's for sure the receiver though thats causing it. Doesn't do it when it's off. But it does it no matter where I plug it in. My GF's dad says I need to replace the internals of the light switch because they go bad?

Few other things.

I have latest firmware. I tried the VSX-1020 again on same circuit. No popping with it. The VSX-1121 pops the sub even when it's powered off but plugged in. And I've tried different power cords.
post #360 of 3289
I picked out a subwoofer to go with the VSX-1121-K. Sense my other speakers are Polk RM8s I decided to stay with Polk.

So if all goes well I "should" as of mid October be able to buy the Polk Audio DSWPRO 660wi.

It's funny, I had not even thought about getting big HDTV before, but now... Does any one own the VIZIO XVT3D554SV If so does it play well with the VSX-1121-K?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Pioneer VSX-1121 Owner's Thread