or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › The Official "I dont have dish or cable" anymore thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official "I dont have dish or cable" anymore thread - Page 52

post #1531 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post


From what I've been reading, it doesn't appear that major network affiliates are interested in selling off their spectrum. Yeah, I'm sure enough money would change their collective minds...but I think it would be a lot of money. More than the telecom companies are going to offer.

I read the same thing. Also the auctions are voluntary. So only the stations that want to sell will sell. If the Telcos or pay TV people think they can put broadcasting out of business they are blinded by greed and ignorance.

Also if local programming wasn't necessary they wouldn't be doing it.
post #1532 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Wrong.
I-Tunes did have what was called Fairplay DRM prior to 2009 - and and tracks sold like hotcakes despite the competition being free. It wasn't until 2008 that Amazon offered non-DRM MP3s to undercut Apple and Apple responded with a premium non-DRM service. At that point, it was over for DRM music as the following year, Apple dropped DRM completely. That was long after Kazaa was pretty well decimated and Napster had gone legit.
The market - not piracy - decided that one. The new market is deciding streaming music is the future.

Close. Except, Steve Jobs wrote his famous letter on DRM and then through EMI iTunes offered DRM-free music first (with the premium as you mentioned). The other record companies, in an effort to try and boost a competitor to iTunes, gave their DRM-free music to Amazon. This was also due to Apple's reluctance to allow variable-priced (i.e., new songs jump to $1.29) music. When Apple relented, they got the rest as DRM-free and dropped the premium price for it (likely due to Amazon).
post #1533 of 1689
Ditched Dish today. Had 2 receivers and the bill was $96 per month. Too much to pay for news that is propaganda, channels full of infomercials, scripted "reality" shows, and channels like TWC, History, TLC, etc. that have forgotten their roots and don't show their core programming anymore. Then when you finally find something, there are those pesky pop up ads in the corner that cover 15% - 20% of the show you are trying to watch.

Already had a 16' antenna in the attic and the house is wired with co-axial wire. Just needed a signal booster to receive 19 OTA channels.
post #1534 of 1689

Cable television really is driving itself right over the cliff at this point. It's like they can't stop themselves.

 

Because I hadn't really done it in awhile, I pored over the schedule closely the other night, and I swear, there had to be at least 85% cheap, crappy, dumbed-down reality programming on overall during primetime.  rolleyes.gif


Edited by Rammitinski - 1/19/13 at 5:42pm
post #1535 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Obbins View Post

Ditched Dish today. Had 2 receivers and the bill was $96 per month. Too much to pay for news that is propaganda, channels full of infomercials, scripted "reality" shows, and channels like TWC, History, TLC, etc. that have forgotten their roots and don't show their core programming anymore. Then when you finally find something, there are those pesky pop up ads in the corner that cover 15% - 20% of the show you are trying to watch.

Already had a 16' antenna in the attic and the house is wired with co-axial wire. Just needed a signal booster to receive 19 OTA channels.

Amen brother! Just ditched Time Warner and back to OTA, Netflix Streaming and Hulu Plus.
post #1536 of 1689
Just finished a movie on Netflix. $94 per month can buy/rent many movies!
post #1537 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

Amen brother! Just ditched Time Warner and back to OTA, Netflix Streaming and Hulu Plus.

Seconded!
post #1538 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Obbins View Post

Ditched Dish today. Had 2 receivers and the bill was $96 per month. Too much to pay for news that is propaganda, channels full of infomercials, scripted "reality" shows, and channels like TWC, History, TLC, etc. that have forgotten their roots and don't show their core programming anymore. Then when you finally find something, there are those pesky pop up ads in the corner that cover 15% - 20% of the show you are trying to watch.

Already had a 16' antenna in the attic and the house is wired with co-axial wire. Just needed a signal booster to receive 19 OTA channels.

It looks like you took Dish's advice they give on their crappy commercial and took charge of your money. biggrin.gif

I get 15 channels OTA in my area and I watch plenty of football in HD on weekends for free. During the week I watch MeTV.
post #1539 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Cable television really is driving itself right over the cliff at this point. It's like they can't stop themselves.

Because I hadn't really done it in awhile, I pored over the schedule closely the other night, and I swear, there had to be at least 85% cheap, crappy, dumbed-down reality programming on overall during primetime.  rolleyes.gif

I also noticed they keep showing the same movies over and over and saturate them with commercials and screen clutter. Most of the movies can be bought on DVD for $5 each.
post #1540 of 1689
What are you guys doing for internet service? We have TW but I am ready to drop it and go OTA but can't find another option for the internet. I know I can keep roadrunner but would love to have another option.
post #1541 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

I also noticed they keep showing the same movies over and over and saturate them with commercials and screen clutter. Most of the movies can be bought on DVD for $5 each.
Except you keep forgetting that this is the High Definition section of the forum. DVD and VHS tapes don't qualify.

That means Blu-ray, which is often more expensive and doesn't have as much selection.

Don't get me wrong: I'll take a well mastered DVD presentation of a movie over a cut down version with commercials and screen clutter any day, but you simply aren't comparing apples to apples when you make claims about your particular home video collection.
Edited by NetworkTV - 1/20/13 at 7:25am
post #1542 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simm View Post

What are you guys doing for internet service? We have TW but I am ready to drop it and go OTA but can't find another option for the internet. I know I can keep roadrunner but would love to have another option.
Well that is another sore point in my budget. I live out in the country and the only way to get internet is with the phone company or Hughes.net. Being as my website receives live feeds from the weather station, I think Hughes won't work due to interference during heavy rain (like Dish). So that leaves the phone company and a DSL connection.

A 3mb connection is costing me about $70 per month. eek.gif Actually 1/2 of that is for the phone service and taxes, but we never use the land line and would get rid of it if we could. Unfortunately, it is either phone and internet or neither. mad.gif I talked to them yesterday about their Basic TV package ($17 per month). However they do not have HD feeds out my way, only SD. Then looking at the channel line up, it is the same channels I get OTA, and the OTA is HD.
Quote:
Except you keep forgetting that this is the High Definition section of the forum. DVD and VHS tapes don't qualify.

That means Blu-ray, which is often more expensive and doesn't have as much selection.

Well the movies that are playing over and over are not the most recent releases. So while not quite as cheap as DVDs, Blu-ray of these movies can be found at reduced pricing. The money saved with out Dish can buy many Blu-rays / DVDs.
post #1543 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Obbins View Post

Well the movies that are playing over and over are not the most recent releases. So while not quite as cheap as DVDs, Blu-ray of these movies can be found at reduced pricing. The money saved with out Dish can buy many Blu-rays / DVDs.
I'm not arguing that point - I'm just tired of hearing about a certain DVD and VHS tape collection in the HD forum.

No doubt, I could buy a lot more movies if I didn't spend the money on satellite. However, I really don't want to own most of what I come across on TV and I would miss quite a few rare gems if I didn't have have channels like HDNet Movies or even the psuedo-HD Turner Classic Movies. A lot of stuff on those channels isn't out on home video period - unless you want to buy them on Warner's "DVD On Demand" titles, which essentially sells you a DVD-R in DVD packaging.

However, there's no way I'm watching "Lawrence of Arabia" in any form other than the best available, which is not cable TV.
post #1544 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

I also noticed they keep showing the same movies over and over and saturate them with commercials and screen clutter. Most of the movies can be bought on DVD for $5 each.
Except you keep forgetting that this is the High Definition section of the forum. DVD and VHS tapes don't qualify.

That means Blu-ray, which is often more expensive and doesn't have as much selection.
Best Buy has a $7 Blu-ray bin right next to the $5 DVD bin.
post #1545 of 1689
Blu-Rays are often more expensive than DVDs. Also, I'm not going to shell out my hard-earned money to purchase a show if I already have a perfectly-good DVD. Every now and then, someone will place a Blu-Ray show for sale that's less then its DVD counterpart. When this happens I will get the Blu-Ray. Last Year "The Big River" Had the Blu-Ray Version Star Trek (The Original Series) on sale for about 50 bux LESS than the DVD (Which didn't have the enhanced Special Effects). Since the Blu-Ray was cheaper than the DVD, and you got to watch the show with original and enhanced effects, I wasted no time in snatching it up. smile.gif Look around, and when you see this happening, Git em while the gittin's good! biggrin.gif
post #1546 of 1689

Roughly 250 Blu-ray titles $5 and less... large chunk at $2.50. I will saying walking down the aisle I was shocked by the number of bad movies. Fry's is one heck of a store... :)

 

http://www.frys.com/search?query_string=&cat=-68984&pType=pDisplay&fq=100730%20Blu__Ray&rows=50&sort=price%20asc&start=0&cat=-68984&from=0&to=24

 

This week is a little better than their typical weekly sale... not that much however. If you want to go all the way up to $7 they have another (much better) bunch...

 

http://www.frys.com/search?plusearch=7291163%207290603%207291183%207291263%207290523%207289313%207288603%207289003%207289453%207288723%207289433%207288563%207289373%207290943%207289393%207289483%207290363%207289873%207290393%207290913%207290003%207289983%207290013

 

Including The Dark Knight, Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc.


Edited by Charles R - 1/20/13 at 11:36am
post #1547 of 1689
We have Rasputin's which went in where Tower Records was. They put a canvas sign over the Tower Records and Books but it fell down and I guess the slackers that run the store don't have enough energy to resurrect it again. Anyway I was there yesterday and they now have rows of $5-6 used Blurays.
post #1548 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simm View Post

What are you guys doing for internet service? We have TW but I am ready to drop it and go OTA but can't find another option for the internet. I know I can keep roadrunner but would love to have another option.

I wonder this too. It is the only thing keeping me from cutting the cord.
post #1549 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Obbins View Post

Ditched Dish today. Had 2 receivers and the bill was $96 per month. Too much to pay for news that is propaganda, channels full of infomercials, scripted "reality" shows, and channels like TWC, History, TLC, etc. that have forgotten their roots and don't show their core programming anymore. Then when you finally find something, there are those pesky pop up ads in the corner that cover 15% - 20% of the show you are trying to watch.

Already had a 16' antenna in the attic and the house is wired with co-axial wire. Just needed a signal booster to receive 19 OTA channels.

I used to have Dish too,and i also paid $96 per month. But in July i bought myself a Roku 2XS streaming media player,compared what i normally watch with Dish to what i get with my Roku,and after one month of comparing i dumped Dish and bought a small antenna that i put in my window. Now i get most of what i want with the Roku,and use my antenna for local news. I get my local weather forecasts primarily from my Roku. The only thing i really miss by not having Dish is TCM,other than that, i'm not missin' a thing by dropping Dish....except the high $96 bill. tongue.gif Now i pay a whopping $16 per mo. for Netflix and Hulu plus($8 bucks apiece),everything else is free. smile.gif unless i rent a movie from Vudu or Amazon.
Edited by greaser - 1/20/13 at 2:47pm
post #1550 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

I wonder this too. It is the only thing keeping me from cutting the cord.

Why is this question keeping you from cutting the cord? There is no law that states that you can't get Internet only from your tv provider. Will it be more than the bundled price? Probably, but it will be cheaper than the full bundle.

I dropped fios TV 2 years ago, went OTA and kept fios Internet. Lowered it to the lowest tier which is 15 down and 5 up for $55. That's plenty of bandwidth for multiple streams.
post #1551 of 1689
I'm actually paying LESS for internet now than I was back when I had a bundle. When I had Uverse, my internet was running $48/mo for 12 mbps, but after I cancelled TV I was able to call retentions and get the same deal new customers get. 12 mbps for $24.95/mo.
post #1552 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I'm actually paying LESS for internet now than I was back when I had a bundle. When I had Uverse, my internet was running $48/mo for 12 mbps, but after I cancelled TV I was able to call retentions and get the same deal new customers get. 12 mbps for $24.95/mo.

Same Here! biggrin.gif
post #1553 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post


I used to have Dish too,and i also paid $96 per month. But in July i bought myself a Roku 2XS streaming media player,compared what i normally watch with Dish to what i get with my Roku,and after one month of comparing i dumped Dish and bought a small antenna that i put in my window. Now i get most of what i want with the Roku,and use my antenna for local news. I get my local weather forecasts primarily from my Roku. The only thing i really miss by not having Dish is TCM,other than that, i'm not missin' a thing by dropping Dish....except the high $96 bill. tongue.gif Now i pay a whopping $16 per mo. for Netflix and Hulu plus($8 bucks apiece),everything else is free. smile.gif unless i rent a movie from Vudu or Amazon.

 

I see you amended your post for a little honesty and transparency there.

 

That's good - it saved me the trouble of pointing out and detailing those things myself.

 

Also, how many TV's did you go down to having service to from that one, indoor antenna? Do you need other antennas at other TV's now? How about additional Roku's? Replaced any DVR's with your own (I could be mistaken, but from the DVD Recorder forum, I believe you have at least one Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder you're using as a DVR - that's a couple hundred or so bucks right there, Also, that Magnavox's tuner happens to only output in SD, and SD isn't really a valid alternative for an "HDTV Programming"  forum, whether OTA, DVD or streaming)?


Edited by Rammitinski - 1/20/13 at 5:54pm
post #1554 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I see you amended your post for a little honesty and transparency there.

That's good - it saved me the trouble of pointing out and detailing those things myself.

Also, how many TV's did you go down to having service to from that one, indoor antenna? Do you need other antennas at other TV's now? How about additional Roku's? Replaced any DVR's with your own (I could be mistaken, but from the DVD Recorder forum, I believe you have at least one Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder you're using as a DVR - that's a couple hundred or so bucks right there, Also, that Magnavox's tuner happens to only output in SD, and SD isn't really a valid alternative for an "HDTV Programming"  forum, whether OTA, DVD or streaming)?

First of all i haven't been dishonest about anything.I live alone and I only ever needed 1 tv and 1 antenna.No additional Roku's either. No DVR's, but i do own 4 DVDR's,they were each a one time charge,they are several yrs.old and can't be counted as part of a Monthly tv viewing bill because there is no monthly charge for using them unlike a monthly sat.bill or my monthly Netflix/Hulu+ bill. And that's what i'm talking about.....a monthly tv viewing bill,which i reduced from $96 bucks mo. to $16 bucks mo.There's no dishonesty there. If you want to count the cost of my DVDR's as part of a monthly charge,then i can make the case that paying my apartment rent each mo. is also part of my monthly tv viewing bill.....my groceries too,throw in a few other necessities and it could be said that i pay well over a thousand dollars a month...... just to watch tv!
I don't use any of my DVDR's tuners to watch OTA tv. I use HDTV's tuner.
post #1555 of 1689

I also own four HDD/DVD recorders, along with a Sony DHG-HDD500 and a TiVoHD.

 

I'm only using one HDD/DVD recorder and the TiVo HD in my setup right now, but I consider that part of the overall costs - since I have always (not strictly, but mostly) used the HDD/DVD recorders for time-shifting television.

 

Sorry for assuming you were intentionally obscufating and denying, like a lot of the pay TV service-bashing agenda crowd around here has a habit of doing.


Edited by Rammitinski - 1/20/13 at 10:09pm
post #1556 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simm View Post

What are you guys doing for internet service? We have TW but I am ready to drop it and go OTA but can't find another option for the internet. I know I can keep roadrunner but would love to have another option.

I use AT&T's DSL 1.5 Mbps internet for $20 a month. My two main sources of TV is from OTA HD and DVD.
post #1557 of 1689

I'm back to cutting the cord going on a month now.  Back 3 years ago I had DirecTV for 15 years but got laid off so I built an HTPC to use for OTA and streaming.  That worked great for a year and a half.  I had Uverse for Internet and they sucked me into signing up for TV as a trial when they basically paid me $250 to try TV.  I ended up keeping it.  But a couple months ago I see I'm paying nearly $100 a month for about 5 channels I don't get OTA.  What am I doing?  So I dumped the TV part of Uverse again and went back to my HTPC.

 

So now we get most of our shows for free OTA and pay $8 for Hulu Plus which nets me most of the "cable" shows we watch from the likes of USA and SyFy.  RedBox for BluRays at $1.50 each (with lots of coupon codes for free movies too).  So gone from $100 a month to $8 and a couple bucks for current movies.  Not a bad savings I say.  We had Netflix but honestly been pretty disappointed lately with what's available.  I'll sign up again a few months from now if enough new stuff has been added we'd watch.

 

Only thing we'll miss will be TNT shows which do not allow you to watch streaming unless you subscribe to a pay TV service.  Even though I still have Uverse for Internet I'm not blocked out of streaming.  Oh well, if they don't want me to watch their commercials (which I can't skip by the way) that's their choice.  And I refuse to buy at $3 per episode, that's just crazy.  So we'll wait 6-9 months for it to hit Netflix and sign up for the month to watch the season then cancel Netflix again until another season of something is available.

 

All in all works great.

post #1558 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simm View Post

What are you guys doing for internet service? We have TW but I am ready to drop it and go OTA but can't find another option for the internet. I know I can keep roadrunner but would love to have another option.

 

As noted by others, why would you need to drop TW for your Internet?  Doesn't make much sense.  Their Internet and TV services aren't tied at the hip despite their sales pitches.  With Uverse I still have them for Internet because they are the best available to me (Charter Internet *sucks*).  No need to drop Internet just because you no longer use the TV service.

post #1559 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R 
Roughly 250 Blu-ray titles $5 and less... large chunk at $2.50. I will saying walking down the aisle I was shocked by the number of bad movies. Fry's is one heck of a store... smile.gif



http://www.frys.com/search?query_string=&cat=-68984&pType=pDisplay&fq=100730%20Blu__Ray&rows=50&sort=price%20asc&start=0&cat=-68984&from=0&to=24



This week is a little better than their typical weekly sale... not that much however. If you want to go all the way up to $7 they have another (much better) bunch...



http://www.frys.com/search?plusearch=7291163%207290603%207291183%207291263%207290523%207289313%207288603%207289003%207289453%207288723%207289433%207288563%207289373%207290943%207289393%207289483%207290363%207289873%207290393%207290913%207290003%207289983%207290013.


Including The Dark Knight, Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc.



Thanks for the heads up, I just completed the Harry Potter series for my girls.
post #1560 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

As noted by others, why would you need to drop TW for your Internet?  Doesn't make much sense.  Their Internet and TV services aren't tied at the hip despite their sales pitches.  With Uverse I still have them for Internet because they are the best available to me (Charter Internet *sucks*).  No need to drop Internet just because you no longer use the TV service.

I don't have to drop TW roadrunner but wanted to see what others were doing. I guess I'm simply trying to get as much information as possible on options before making the move.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › The Official "I dont have dish or cable" anymore thread