or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › The Official "I dont have dish or cable" anymore thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official "I dont have dish or cable" anymore thread - Page 8

post #211 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Yeah except he'll have to wait until after the season is over to see them. Many people like to watch the current season NOW. A lot of TV shows I see on DVD want $40 for the most recent season. And that's DVD not even blu-ray.

Best example of price gouging of DVD vs BR: The complete Firefly series. DVD: $20. BR: $80.
post #212 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post

Very true. Good point.

EDIT:

Interesting article posted today at HuffPost:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_877327.html

"A new report from The Diffusion Group showed that 32 percent of Netflix users plan to cut at least some part of their cable subscription, twice the percentage that indicated they'd do so just one year ago.

Many of these so-called "cord cutters" are doing so for reasons other than cost. Sixty-one percent of these users cited online video as the reason for the downgrade, with 66 percent of those users citing Netflix specifically. Only twenty-four percent said cost was the main reason for downgrading their service."

Except what are those other reasons? Those services are either free or lower cost. In the case of Hulu, it's not about quality. In the case of Netflix, it's not about getting it sooner. In the case of both, it might be about eliminating duplication, but why would that matter except where the cost of that duplication of service is more? It certainly isn't about access because they had cable before. It likely isn't quality of service, since there are other options similar to cable at similar price points that might be better.

It seems very odd that cost isn't main factor, yet they eliminate the most expensive service, except for broadband which doesn't have cheaper competition in most markets.

I'd believe cost not being the main factor if this were about land lines. At least that has the justification that cell phones make your main number portable. But, most people I know say its cheaper to just have a cell phone. A few say they dumped the land line because they never used it.

Now, it may be that people weren't using their cable service and dumped it in favor of those services they do. However, if cost isn't a factor, I find it hard to believe that people would prefer Hulu over normal TV service.



Quote:


I'll admit, this issue has given me pause but I don't think I'll ever see a shortage in material to watch, even if the Internet, etc. turns pay TV on its head.

I for one would like new content that isn't reality TV to be made. I don't want cheap - I want good. If it's cheap, too, then good for the networks. It's win-win.

I suspect though, that the pawn broker/deathmatch cooking/fake ghost hunt/blue collar grunt work reality shows will eventually take over. We might get a few rehash sitcoms, but they aren't going to pay anyone enough to care if the jokes are funny. I'm pretty sure the Blair Witch/Paranormal Activity craze will eventually invade the entire drama world and we'll see all our entertainment through the lens of a camera held by a guy who drank far too much coffee.



Quote:


I don't but in a discussion thread it's usually a good idea to discuss things and try to understand each other. Otherwise, what is the point? Everyone can just take their toys and go home if they want but you're here.

Well, if you had asked me why I choose to pay more instead of seeking cheaper options instead of assuming I lack patients, I might not be so on guard with your questions.

Since you say you're curious, here's the breakdown of why I choose the services I do:

- Satellite: I like the channel selection that gives me both movies and TV shows that entertain me when I'm ready for it. I can watch a show when it airs, an hour after it airs or at the end of the season. I can watch one episode of one show (or change my mind in the middle) and immediately watch something else. With the DVR, I always have a fresh crop of programming and I never watch commercials if I don't want to with the 30 second skip forward. I'm not beholden to bandwidth caps, time limits or content rights expiration. I don't have to wait for a disc. I can hop through the guide among channels like HDNet and catch older movies in HD, some of which are still in limbo for Blu-ray.

- Netflix: This is my source of movies and older shows. It's pretty much all OAR, commercial free and it doesn't clog up the DVR. I can stream some of it, too. However, the newest stuff is seldom there until months later. However, it sure beats the movie channels. The money I saved dropping them more than pays for my Netflix subscription.

- Buying movies on disc: Most of that has been tamed by Netflix. I don't do blind buys anymore and I only buy the stuff i know I'll watch multiple times. Buying it saves me waiting for Netflix to send it to me.

- The theater: I generally go no more than maybe once a month - or less. It's usually with friends for a night out on the town. The price of the movie includes a conversation about it later.
post #213 of 1689
"A new report from The Diffusion Group showed that 32 percent of Netflix users plan to cut at least some part of their cable subscription, twice the percentage that indicated they'd do so just one year ago.

Many of these so-called "cord cutters" are doing so for reasons other than cost. Sixty-one percent of these users cited online video as the reason for the downgrade, with 66 percent of those users citing Netflix specifically. Only twenty-four percent said cost was the main reason for downgrading their service."


I wouldn't call these people cord cutters. Rather as I have thought all along there would be premium channel cutting like HBO and Showtime. Last time I saw their subscription growth (or recession) it was trailing generic cable/satellite by quite a bit. Personally, I see online content replacing second-tier viewing to a large extent. It's far down the road where it can compete with the nightly Nielsen shows.

Analyst Predicts 'Modest' HBO Subscriber Declines Amid Challenges From Netflix

Particularly the emergence of Netflix as "an attractively-priced broadband distributor with a gradually-improving content offering presents a new form of competition which may weigh on HBO subscriber growth," the analyst argued.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...scriber-169180
post #214 of 1689
I have cut my cable about two years ago. I have more time to do other stuff. No regrets. Money was not the major consideration, I just did not see a point of having all these channels with useless content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

As for sports, I've lost a lot of interest in them. I replaced some of that sitting around watching other people do stuff and picked up some hobby's of my own.

Right you are. The best sport is one you are going into yourself, not the one you are watching while sitting on a couch.

I wish I did cut off my cable sooner.

As for OTA, I watch only select PBS programs, everything else is rubbish. History Channel, Discovery Channel 10-20 years ago and now are totally different things, just like MTV, which is not music TV anymore. I get my news from the Web, because mainstream media does not report real news. I get my movies from Netflix.
post #215 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Right you are. The best sport is one you are going into yourself, not the one you are watching while sitting on a couch.

I don't see why it's one or the other. Take the Tour de France. The 21 stages were more than enough to get me to subscribe to satellite for several years. Or the red clay of the French Open... night matches at the US Open.
post #216 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post

Best example of price gouging of DVD vs BR: The complete Firefly series. DVD: $20. BR: $80.

That's just painful. For me, the challenge on buying Blu Ray sets is trying to catch them on sale -- doing that, I've picked up the "Back to the Future", "Spiderman", and "X-Men" trilogies for $25 or less, and the first three seasons of the original "Twilight Zone" for less than $50 each. Not exactly cheap, but a lot better than the regular prices...

As for the whole debate over paying for subscription TV services (whether satellite or cable), in the end it seems to come down to the individual value proposition -- in other words, each of us uses television programming differently, and depending on how we use it, paying a bunch of money for a big fat program bundle may or may not make sense. Sports fans, reality TV junkies, fans of certain kinds of drama series that tend to be on cable and not on broadcast, or those who enjoy browsing through their channels to see what's on may find the price of cable/satellite to be worth it.

Conversely, those who are indifferent to sports, don't do a lot of channel surfing, and are fans of the types of drama and comedy series that tend to run on broadcast networks may find the additional cost of cable or satellite to be a waste of money. Speaking for myself, at any given moment there is rarely more than a series or two running on those extra channels that I'd care to see -- maybe five or six hours a month of television. Not worth the cost for me.

What I don't get are the people who subscribe -- and then complain bitterly about how overpriced the service is. If it's not worth the money, then cancel the service -- and if you're not willing to cancel it because you're watching those extra channels several hours a day...well, then maybe it isn't overpriced for you.

What I do suspect is that there is a certain percentage of the population who subscribe to cable or satellite out of habit...who don't watch those extra channels enough for it to be worth the money (or don't care about what is on those channels all that much, anyway), but who continue paying because they erroneously believe that OTA television has either gone away completely, or is still limited to a few snowy standard def channels. I don't know how large that group is, but I suspect that those of us who have cut the cord are mostly interested in evangelizing to that particular subset of cable/satellite subscribers.
post #217 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

What I don't get are the people who subscribe -- and then complain bitterly about how overpriced the service is. If it's not worth the money, then cancel the service -- and if you're not willing to cancel it because you're watching those extra channels several hours a day...well, then maybe it isn't overpriced for you.

I don't get that either.

Either it's worth paying for or it's not. It's not like there aren't other ways to see the content on those channels. So, paying for it and resenting doing so makes little sense - logically or financially.

Would I like to pay less? Sure. However, the price is worth what I feel I get out of it. As a result, I pay. I probably get more out of that monthly fee than a lot of people get out of a gym membership.

I don't fault anyone for not wanting to, though.

Now, I'm sure my parents would jump ship and go OTA only if they could. Unfortunately, they live in a valley two hills away from the nearest tower and get somewhere between nill and squat signal-wise. So, they subscribe to the bare minimum analog package that is still offered there that gets them their local channels. It also gets them a few news channels, Discovery and some others that my father occasionally tunes to when he's working on the computer. He likely wouldn't miss them though.

At least the price is somewhat reasonable, so he doesn't resent paying it. He does wish there was a lower tier with fewer channels on top of the local ones, though.

Quote:


What I do suspect is that there is a certain percentage of the population who subscribe to cable or satellite out of habit...who don't watch those extra channels enough for it to be worth the money (or don't care about what is on those channels all that much, anyway), but who continue paying because they erroneously believe that OTA television has either gone away completely, or is still limited to a few snowy standard def channels.

Fully agree. I think it's one of those things like electric and other utilities people just turn on when they move into a place. Even the phone is still that way, though we're seeing the same cord cutting trends there as time goes by.
Quote:


I don't know how large that group is, but I suspect that those of us who have cut the cord are mostly interested in evangelizing to that particular subset of cable/satellite subscribers.

It's one thing to educate those who might have incorrect assumptions, but another to assume it's right for everyone. Some people here have difficulty with that concept.

In some cases, it's not an option due to geography or practicality. Even at my current place, I can get every station pretty well, even with a simple indoor antenna. However, my ABC affiliate is in another area of the state and that one would be tricky without a bigger antenna. As long as I have multi-channel service, that's not an issue.

Further, at my last place, a dish wasn't an issue. It attached to the railing of my balcony and the landlord was happy to let me use it without any hassle. I'm not so sure an antenna array would go over as well, though, since the rules regarding use of antennas wouldn't cover the size of one I would need to get everything reliably. At least in the current place, I have an attic. I can put one up there if I ever choose to drop pay TV.
post #218 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I for one would like new content that isn't reality TV to be made. I don't want cheap - I want good. If it's cheap, too, then good for the networks. It's win-win.

I suspect though, that the pawn broker/deathmatch cooking/fake ghost hunt/blue collar grunt work reality shows will eventually take over. We might get a few rehash sitcoms, but they aren't going to pay anyone enough to care if the jokes are funny. I'm pretty sure the Blair Witch/Paranormal Activity craze will eventually invade the entire drama world and we'll see all our entertainment through the lens of a camera held by a guy who drank far too much coffee.


Since you say you're curious, here's the breakdown of why I choose the services I do:

- Satellite: I like the channel selection that gives me both movies and TV shows that entertain me when I'm ready for it. I can watch a show when it airs, an hour after it airs or at the end of the season. I can watch one episode of one show (or change my mind in the middle) and immediately watch something else. With the DVR, I always have a fresh crop of programming and I never watch commercials if I don't want to with the 30 second skip forward. I'm not beholden to bandwidth caps, time limits or content rights expiration. I don't have to wait for a disc. I can hop through the guide among channels like HDNet and catch older movies in HD, some of which are still in limbo for Blu-ray.

- Netflix: This is my source of movies and older shows. It's pretty much all OAR, commercial free and it doesn't clog up the DVR. I can stream some of it, too. However, the newest stuff is seldom there until months later. However, it sure beats the movie channels. The money I saved dropping them more than pays for my Netflix subscription.

- Buying movies on disc: Most of that has been tamed by Netflix. I don't do blind buys anymore and I only buy the stuff i know I'll watch multiple times. Buying it saves me waiting for Netflix to send it to me.

My question is why do you need satellite when you have that awesome DVD collection. I have a lot of those shows on DVD like Airwolf, Knight Rider, The Dukes of Hazzard, The A-Team and many more. The pawn broker/deathmatch cooking/fake ghost hunt/blue collar grunt work and other reality shows have taken over. That is why people are cutting the cord because the pay TV companies are charging around $100 a month for this junk. I cut the cord back in 2008 because I could do better buying what I wanted on DVD and save a lot of money. I have only bought $150 worth of DVDs this year. Paying for satellite or cable is still buying the things you watch plus it has commercials, screen clutter, and parts of it cut out for more commercials.

I also wish the DVD companys would release the complete series of CHiPs, The Fall Guy, and The Muppet Show. I would love to own them on DVD. Talk about being patient I've only waited 30 years to watch these shows again.
post #219 of 1689
There are a lot of quality shows on pay TV that are not junk, you know. Stuff like Justified, Sons of Anarchy and pretty much anything on AMC just off the top of my head.
post #220 of 1689
There has to be enough new episodes of enough shows that I like playing all year round to make me want to shell out $60.00+ per month, though. Everybody is entitled to their own tastes, but you can't deny they re-run the hell out of everything too much. Even the most ardent admirer of television shows has to admit that (what is it, now - down to 13 episodes a season for everything?).

If it's still worth it to someone, more power to them. I find it just barely worth paying what I do for what I get - but just barely (and I really don't watch any of those American, scripted shows you mention).

It's just that local broadcast TV isn't enough to cut it for me, so I pay it (again, I don't really watch any newer, scripted shows there, either. But this is Chicago, and there's just too much "social-political propaganda-type" stuff on the local info programming that doesn't interest or apply to me, living outside of the city and Cook County. There's lots of retro programming, but I can't live on just that, either).

Same with what's all available on DVD or Netflix. I couldn't subsist on a diet of that, either. I have to have some kind of topical program (just not the local news here - I haven't been able to watch that for a few years now), or I'd feel like I was living in a bubble or cave or something. I'd turn into Chauncy Gardiner.

Between OTA and basic cable, though, I can usually come up with just enough to watch that meets my needs. But OTA and Netflix wouldn't cut it for me, personally.
post #221 of 1689
What about live sports and news? I can't live w/o ESPN and CNBC.
post #222 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post
Best example of price gouging of DVD vs BR: The complete Firefly series. DVD: $20. BR: $80.
Yet according to Amazon right now:

DVD: $23.28
Blu-Ray: $36.49

And for Serenity into the mix... from Amazon right now:

DVD: $10.49
Blu-Ray: $9.99

Nice try but looks like I pretty much debunked your claim about "gouging."
post #223 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post
What about live sports and news? I can't live w/o ESPN and CNBC.
Personally, I don't watch CNBC (well - very, very rarely, anyway. I used to a bit more, but I got tired of it), but I do watch sports.

Thing is, I don't really need the basic cable for sports (I do watch ESPN, but I could survive without it. I like to be able to see extended replays, but the scores are really the most important thing for me), because we have a lot on here OTA (mostly local Pro, which is really what I would care about watching the most, anyway - there's not enough time in a day for me to watch every game of every other team being played). But we're lucky there - I know not too many have it as good as we do here for that (I don't expect it to last forever, though).

People seem to say that "sports" is the one, big sticking point here. But for many, it could also be the local and national topical and informational programming, too, such as the CNBC you mentioned.
post #224 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post
My question is why do you need satellite when you have that awesome DVD collection. I have a lot of those shows on DVD like Airwolf, Knight Rider, The Dukes of Hazzard, The A-Team and many more. The pawn broker/deathmatch cooking/fake ghost hunt/blue collar grunt work and other reality shows have taken over. That is why people are cutting the cord because the pay TV companies are charging around $100 a month for this junk. I cut the cord back in 2008 because I could do better buying what I wanted on DVD and save a lot of money. I have only bought $150 worth of DVDs this year. Paying for satellite or cable is still buying the things you watch plus it has commercials, screen clutter, and parts of it cut out for more commercials.

I also wish the DVD companys would release the complete series of CHiPs, The Fall Guy, and The Muppet Show. I would love to own them on DVD. Talk about being patient I've only waited 30 years to watch these shows again.
The collection is great for when I think, "gosh, you know what I haven't seen in a while..."

However, I want to experience new stuff, too. If I like it enough, it will get added to the collection.


But...

Your comments do bring up a pet peeve I have with the studios. There are several series, like St. Elsewhere, NYPD Blue, etc. where they've been orphaned on DVD and you can't watch them anywhere else, either. They just sit in the vault while I'm left with a couple of seasons on disc. Thanks for nothing.

Look, studios, if you don't want to sell them to me on DVD, that's fine, but at least provide some legal means for me to watch them. Make a bulk deal with Netflix or something for all those shows that didn't sell well enough to release them on DVD. All I want to do is watch them.

NYPD Blue is especially frustrating since it was a popular show. If I could at least get through the Jimmy Smits era, I'd be content with that.
post #225 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post
Thing is, I don't really need the basic cable for that, because we have a lot on here OTA. But we're lucky there - I know not too many have it as good as we do here for that (I don't expect it to last forever, though).
Yep I wouldn't be shocked that within a few years most major league teams (except the NFL) will be moved over to cable/sat with the OTA stations probably saying it was done due to "the demand of non-sports fans."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post
People seem to say that "sports" is the one, big sticking point here. But for many, it could also be the local and national topical and informational programming, too, such as the CNBC you mentioned. Some of us like to at least partially stay a little more grounded in the real world, and not spend all their time in the fantasy one.
There's so many ways to get that same news information now on the internet. Its not like as if CNN, CNBC, etc have exclusive rights to whatever news stories that is happening.
post #226 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post
Yep I wouldn't be shocked that within a few years most major league teams (except the NFL) will be moved over to cable/sat with the OTA stations probably saying it was done due to "the demand of non-sports fans."
Yeah - they'll try to spin it that "people really want more reality programming", I'm sure.
post #227 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post
Yet according to Amazon right now:

DVD: $23.28
Blu-Ray: $36.49

And for Serenity into the mix... from Amazon right now:

DVD: $10.49
Blu-Ray: $9.99

Nice try but looks like I pretty much debunked your claim about "gouging."
I meant at the stores. I've seen both priced like that at Target and Walmart. I wasnt even thinking about Amazon, cos i dont use it. Someday... someday...
post #228 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post
I meant at the stores. I've seen both priced like that at Target and Walmart. I wasnt even thinking about Amazon, cos i dont use it. Someday... someday...
What's the matter - afraid someone's going to come knocking at your door 'cos you didn't pay any taxes?

(For people that don't know, it's a private joke about Illinois recently actually asking people to honor paying back sales taxes on internet orders. Yeah, right. Illinois is just full of honest, conscientious people. They've also just raised the personal income tax here 66% . So they will get it from someone, one way or another.)
post #229 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post
What's the matter - afraid someone's going to come knocking at your door 'cos you didn't pay any taxes?

(For people that don't know, it's a private joke about Illinois recently asking people to honor paying their back taxes on internet orders. They've also just raised the personal income tax here 66% .)
Well, they're not going to get all the income from Oprah anymore...
post #230 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Well, they're not going to get all the income from Oprah anymore...
There might be more truth to that than you think. They've also raised business taxes nearly as much. Businesses and what's left of any middle class are piling out in droves.

The town I live in's business was bustling a few years back. Now, amidst all the empty stores, the only things that exist are dollar stores, fast food joints and auto parts shops (4 or 5 of those. 3 are newly opening - the recession and joblessness is certainly here, but it only seems to be affecting certain demographics).

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled thread.
post #231 of 1689
I cut the cord about a year ago.... Everything now runs through my xbox (have 3 of them at all my tv's now)

Media Center - Use it for the local channels. Covers my local sports very well.
Hulu - Use it for newer TV shows but is on hiatus until fall starts back (I will only record shows through media center that are not on hulu.... I find the hulu experience far superior to the media center dvr)
Netflix - Watch older tv shows and get bluray's through the mail (I also augment the zune 1080p streaming service when I don't want to wait for a bluray to be delivered)
ESPN - This was the big one for me.... I am a big sports fan but unlike most here I care mostly about college sports and the espn app covers college sports BETTER than they do via broadcast. Most Saturdays in the fall and during basketball season they have more events online than they could broadcast on their various networks.

I am interested to see details on what the xbox live tv service will be like.... That might get me to come back (depending on the quality, price and channel selection) but otherwise I do not miss cable.
post #232 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post
There's so many ways to get that same news information now on the internet. Its not like as if CNN, CNBC, etc have exclusive rights to whatever news stories that is happening.
Well, yeah - some of it, anyway. But not specifically everything I'm talking about, the day it's being broadcast.

I'm not necessarily talking about those two channels, which I rarely, if ever watch anymore. For instance, I'm not a "Fox News fanatic" or anything, but I do often watch O'Reilly, mostly because there's nothing better on at that hour that I care about (and of course, they do have the babes). I don't think you can get that show immediately, can you (although it's not any kind of a big deal if I miss it, personally. I often do. I was mostly using that for an example, because I know there are plenty of people who live and die by that network. MSNBC, being NBC, might be different - I don't know)?

As far as news, though, I agree. Haven't gotten much of my "real" news (or, at least the closest thing to it) from TV for a few years now.
post #233 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post
I cut the cord about a year ago.... Everything now runs through my xbox (have 3 of them at all my tv's now)
ESPN - This was the big one for me.... I am a big sports fan but unlike most here I care mostly about college sports and the espn app covers college sports BETTER than they do via broadcast. Most Saturdays in the fall and during basketball season they have more events online than they could broadcast on their various networks.
I am a big college football, college basketball, and NFL fan. How does this ESPN app work? What is the fee or is it only espn3.com games? Does this include all abc/espn/espn2/espnU games?

or are you able to stream it to your TV?
post #234 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post
What's the matter - afraid someone's going to come knocking at your door 'cos you didn't pay any taxes?

(For people that don't know, it's a private joke about Illinois recently actually asking people to honor paying back sales taxes on internet orders. Yeah, right. Illinois is just full of honest, conscientious people. They've also just raised the personal income tax here 66% . So they will get it from someone, one way or another.)
It's not just Illinois. They did the same in Colorado but have suspended it for now. Dumb idea to begin with since it's not a universal thing the cost to enforce it would be more than they'd ever bring in.
post #235 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post
Yep I wouldn't be shocked that within a few years most major league teams (except the NFL) will be moved over to cable/sat with the OTA stations probably saying it was done due to "the demand of non-sports fans."



There's so many ways to get that same news information now on the internet. Its not like as if CNN, CNBC, etc have exclusive rights to whatever news stories that is happening.
1.) As to sports, isn't most of non-NFL major pro sports on cable/sat now anyways? What major pro non-NFL team has all of its televised games OTA locally? Maybe the Cubs/White Sox (but I'm not sure)? Edit: Definitely not Cubs/White Sox, they do some games on CSN.

Even today, at best, you have some non-NFL teams that split games between cable and OTA, and many that are cable only.

2.) You are right about news, but there are other reasons for CNBC, like their documentaries (many of which aren't too bad), and say, watching The Suze Orman Show (Which I admittedly watch sometimes).
post #236 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
What major pro non-NFL team has all of its televised games OTA locally? Maybe the Cubs/White Sox (but I'm not sure)?
No, definitely not them (though the Cubs did years ago). Like I said once before here, they show a mixture of an average of about 4 games a week between them OTA (in HD, thankfully), but the rest are on CSN, like you said.

All the Bears games are on OTA, though. Even when they are on ESPN, they always simulcast them on ABC.
post #237 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post

I am a big college football, college basketball, and NFL fan. How does this ESPN app work? What is the fee or is it only espn3.com games? Does this include all abc/espn/espn2/espnU games?

or are you able to stream it to your TV?

Its the same content as espn3.com but through the xbox (and in HD) on the TV. It includes almost all the games from the espn family of networks. ABC broadcasts generally are not broadcast live but are sometimes available for on demand viewing after the event.

It covers virtually every event other than nfl football (but they only have 1 nfl game a week so its not that much of a loss). They also broadcast a number of events not broadcast on espn's networks (mostly international stuff). Because they are not tied to a certain number of networks they can broadcast more events live. There have been times during college football/basketball when there are 30+ events on at the same time. They also don't do those stupid sportscenter breakins as well which make the experience better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLMNI...eature=related
an example of the interface...
post #238 of 1689
It turns out Netflix is cutting into the revenues of the cable business after all, despite assurances from both Netflix and cable providers to the contrary.

A survey released by The Diffusion Group found that roughly one-third of Netflix users plans to slash part of their cable, satellite or telcoTV bills in the next six months — more than double the number that planned to a year ago.

Half of those who say they are likely to downgrade their service plans cite cost as the primary reason. One-third point to growing online video use, naming Netflix as the main provider.

“Despite its rhetorical positioning, both Netflix and PayTV operators have long been aware that there will come a point at which its services are not only dilutive to regular TV viewing, but antithetical to PayTV subscription levels,” says Michael Greeson, TDG founding partner and director of research. “The question for realistic observers has been not if this will occur but when. According to our latest research, that time is upon us.”

To be clear, online video and accompanying services such as Netflix and Hulu are not yet evolved to the point where consumers are willing to cut the cord en masse. Rather, they’re opting to move to a lower-tiered service plan or cancel a premium option partly because it’s cheaper, and partly because they can get so much content online now.

But widespread cord-cutting is likewise a matter of when, not if.


http://mashable.com/2011/06/15/netfl...cutting-study/

It's funny that the earlier posted article which recapped this press release has much different stats...

This article... Half of those who say they are likely to downgrade their service plans cite cost as the primary reason.

Prior article... Only twenty-four percent said cost was the main reason for downgrading their service.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_877327.html

Actual Press release... While research continues to suggest that such tendencies are due primarily to economic belt tightening, TDG discovered that the primary rationale varies by frequency of Netflix streaming. For example, close to half of all Netflix Streamers likely to downgrade their PayTV service in the next six months cite “cost of service” and “the need to save money” as the primary reason for this disposition. Conversely, 34% cite their growing use of online video as the culprit, two-thirds of which cite Netflix in particular as the primary perpetrator.

Among moderate and heavy Netflix Streamers likely to downgrade, however, 61% cite growing use of online video as the primary reason for likely downgrade (two-thirds of which cite Netflix use in particular). Only 24% of moderate and heavy Netflix Streamers cite economic concerns as their primary motivation for downgrade.

http://tdgresearch.com/blogs/press-r...streamers.aspx

Once again you can't believe what you read as everyone takes what they want out of it and presents it accordingly. For $2,500 you can get the actual facts...

http://tdgresearch.com/shops/reports...mers-2011.aspx
post #239 of 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Personally, I don't watch CNBC (well - very, very rarely, anyway. I used to a bit more, but I got tired of it), but I do watch sports.

Thing is, I don't really need the basic cable for sports (I do watch ESPN, but I could survive without it. I like to be able to see extended replays, but the scores are really the most important thing for me), because we have a lot on here OTA (mostly local Pro, which is really what I would care about watching the most, anyway - there's not enough time in a day for me to watch every game of every other team being played). But we're lucky there - I know not too many have it as good as we do here for that (I don't expect it to last forever, though).

People seem to say that "sports" is the one, big sticking point here. But for many, it could also be the local and national topical and informational programming, too, such as the CNBC you mentioned.

I need regional sports networks for college games. Most of the time they are not shown on the networks. And I love the NFL RedZone channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post

There's so many ways to get that same news information now on the internet. Its not like as if CNN, CNBC, etc have exclusive rights to whatever news stories that is happening.

I don't want to read the news or watch a 2 second clip all day long. I want the commentary that goes with it. When I get home after work I just want to click a channel and let the info come to me - not have to hunt it down and watch it on a laptop screen.
post #240 of 1689
Yes, people that pay 100 bucks a month for TV are nuts.

Now where the heck did I lay my 100 dollar a month smart phone bill?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › The Official "I dont have dish or cable" anymore thread