Hello all... newish owner of an HC4000 here. I think I have read just about everything I can about this projector around the web and gotta say that I really appreciate all the good info and posts that some of you have contributed here over the years.
My setup: HC4000 ceiling mounted 16' feet back to 120" Elite Screen Sable Cinewhite Screen. I've only put about 10 hours on the unit.
I have a few questions that I'd love some advice/opinions on.
Mainly, to my dismay... I bought this projector and pretty much immediately noticed the RBE and fairly harshly to be honest. I did view it in a showroom and didn't notice it at that time, however I suppose it wasn't all that dark there, nor was I looking very hard; talking to the salesman etc. Anyhow, I can't return the projector as I would have to take a substantial hit via a restocking fee and paying for the shipping costs that were covered by the selling company. Essentially, I'm going to try to live with it, adapt to it as best I can, etc. etc.
I know from reading that I may over time become accustomed to RBE, or I may not. I realize this and will just sell the unit at a loss if it's terribly bothersome some hours of use from now. With this in mind, my question for those who have the HC4000 is what conditions and settings have you employed that have reduced or helped the RBE.
Admittedly, I did tweak the AVMemory 1, 2 and 3 settings based on some reviews around the web and then further mucked with the image to my taste fairly early on, so I could have done my viewing setup some disservice there. I would be open to resetting to factory default to start over.
What I have done:
1) Projector Distance -- after testing on the floor for a while at varying distances, I decided to mount this fairly far back (16') in hopes of reducing RBE because of lower brightness at this distance.
2) Screen -- I went with a larger screen, to dim the image a bit and Cinewhite, because I simply didn't want to sink money into Grey for the time being.
3) Lighting -- my room is very easily light controlled, in the basement, with pot lights (able to be aimed away from the screen) and sconces on dimmer switches.
4) ND filter -- I have ordered a Hoya ND2 filter... just to try it, 35 bucks isn't much to lose.
1) Room colour -- my room is currently a light beige, carpeting light beige, ceiling white. With the lights off, I can see some wash-out from the ceiling and carpet. I know that ideally you want a dark room, dark ceiling, etc. but have read that a lighter room and some ambient light could help RBE a bit... any suggestions on what to paint, or what to do to the environment that might help?
2) Settings -- this is my big question. Realizing of course that settings will vary by user/environment and so on. What specific settings (and associated values if possible) have you found to help RBE? I have BC off, Low Lamp mode on, etc. but not sure about other settings, including contrast and brightness.
Would calibration (THX or otherwise) help RBE or accentuate it this early on in the lamp's life... I've read conflicting ideas about this.
Any info is hugely appreciated! I will post any results I have in hopes of helping others considering this unit or similar DLPs in the future.