or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Small full range, wideband and coaxial speakers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Small full range, wideband and coaxial speakers - Page 4

post #91 of 138
Thread Starter 
I'm glad you've found it beneficial. Note that not all of them are available in the US, and I added some purely for the amusement factor, but the vast majority are legit.
post #92 of 138
Thread Starter 
Added
4 full range and 2 coaxial speakers

Removed
Chase Home Theater WAF-3 {no longer being manufactured}
Mosscade HD-S11 {Mosscade went out of business}
post #93 of 138
I thought that I should add that I went with the EbenLee Mini Cube speakers. Just ordered them yesterday. I was dead set on the orbs still I found this thread and those speakers.
post #94 of 138
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dubb View Post

I thought that I should add that I went with the EbenLee Mini Cube speakers. Just ordered them yesterday. I was dead set on the orbs still I found this thread and those speakers.

I own the EbenLee MiniCube 2's and ELA-3 subwoofer, both of which I helped design. Let me know what you think of them after 20-30 hours; they do take a while to break in.
post #95 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I own the EbenLee MiniCube 2's and ELA-3 subwoofer, both of which I helped design. Let me know what you think of them after 20-30 hours; they do take a while to break in.

I have listened to these speakers for about 15 hours. They are, simply put, amazing and exactly what I was looking for; a very small speaker, with very big sound. I am still amazed at the sound they put out. Even my wife said they sound really good and very crisp. I think EbenLee and Peter really have something here. Too bad they are not very well known as I am sure more people are or have been in the same situation as me.

Thanks again for this tread.
post #96 of 138
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dubb View Post

I have listened to these speakers for about 15 hours. They are, simply put, amazing and exactly what I was looking for; a very small speaker, with very big sound. I am still amazed at the sound they put out. Even my wife said they sound really good and very crisp. I think EbenLee and Peter really have something here. Too bad they are not very well known as I am sure more people are or have been in the same situation as me.

I'm glad they worked out for you. I've found the detail and clarity to be exemplary. The volume surprised me as well - the MC2's can play very loud.
post #97 of 138
Thread Starter 
Added
4 full range and 2 coaxial speakers

Removed
Venture Audio La Vie {no longer being manufactured}
Qinpu Audio DV-2, Q6 Black Omni, S1 Budanath Omni {no longer being manufactured}

Fixed a ton of broken links too. Seems as though quite a number of manufacturers have been busy changing their websites lately...
post #98 of 138
Full-range...understood.
But why look at smaller drivers?

I grew up listening to 8" dual cone full range driver and it was awesome. Of course not good for sub levels.
post #99 of 138
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

Full-range...understood.
But why look at smaller drivers?

The only reason was because that was my preference. I was merely looking for speakers to work in a small HT system.
post #100 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

The only reason was because that was my preference. I was merely looking for speakers to work in a small HT system.

how about using these ones?

Vifa TC6FC00-04 2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer 4 Ohm
*Frequency response: 150-20,000 Hz

Quote:


Overview
Capable of extremely accurate and lifelike sound quality, the TC6FC00-04 2" full-range speaker is perfect for speaker applications that demand the smallest possible driver.
Highlights

Neodymium magnet and stamped steel frame
Patented NRSC PentaCut cone technology controls resonances and improves performance
Under-spider venting increases power handling
Half-roll rubber surround for unrestricted travel
Copper pole piece cap controls impedance and extends HF response

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1124


List Price $19.99
You Save 25%
Lifetime Tech Support FREE
Your Price $14.86
Buy 4-up $13.60

post #101 of 138
You could put two of those per side in little independent cubes that swivel and um, uh....
post #102 of 138
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

how about using these ones?

Vifa TC6FC00-04 2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer 4 Ohm

That's just a driver though. This thread is dedicated to speakers - finished units, essentially.
post #103 of 138
I mentioned the Vifa because for all practical applications, the speaker cabinet for such a small speaker cannot (should not be) complex. Maybe just place it in a coffee mug and it should work
post #104 of 138
Regarding indoor/outdoor speakers: I have Boston acoustics 381's I think in my living room wall and they sound great, paid 350 for them 20 years ago and they sound better than just about any bookshelfs in that price range. Being weatherproof is only a plus for an in wall speaker in New England.
post #105 of 138
post #106 of 138
Thread Starter 
Thanks Bazzy. I have a list of new speakers to add to this thread, and the One is indeed among them. Seems awfully expensive, but I would like to hear them nonetheless. wink.gif
post #107 of 138
Thread Starter 
Added
3 full range and 12 coaxial
Edited by JimWilson - 5/26/13 at 8:28pm
post #108 of 138
I noticed you had the Morel Soundspot SP-2 in the list and it seems they have released a Soundspot-SP3 from their web site and brochure. I have not seen it reviewed anywhere yet. I have heard very good things about the SP/MT-2 but have not been able to audition any where I live. They are all custom ordered here.

Does anyone have any direct experience?
post #109 of 138
Thread Starter 
Thanks for reminding me that this thread was overdue for an update...

I wasn't able to find the SP3 on Morel's website. Do you have a link by chance?
post #110 of 138
Thread Starter 
Added
11 full range and 4 coaxial

Removed
Canton Plus XS.2 {discontinued}
Edited by JimWilson - 3/15/14 at 7:07pm
post #111 of 138
I don't know if you are restricting your list solely to small satellite speakers, but there are also larger cabinet designs using small full range drivers...

www.blumensteinaudio.com/orca-classic/

www.parts-express.com/project-gallery-speaker-project-celestion-micromax

Of course if you are using full range drivers then it is very easy to build your own speakers. Here is what I finished building recently with 4x 3" full range crossed over to subs at 200hz...



I am loving the sound from this cheap experiment and I prefer them over a couple of different pairs of commercial 2-way speakers I own in the 2 to 3k price range.
post #112 of 138
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

I don't know if you are restricting your list solely to small satellite speakers, but there are also larger cabinet designs using small full range drivers...

www.blumensteinaudio.com/orca-classic/

The Blumentstein speakers were just added to the first post this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

Of course if you are using full range drivers then it is very easy to build your own speakers. Here is what I finished building recently with 4x 3" full range crossed over to subs at 200hz...

200Hz is high for me - the sub would be doing too much of the work - but your speakers are very nicely done indeed. Are those HiVi's?
post #113 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Are those HiVi's?

Yes, Hi-Vi B3S.
post #114 of 138
Hi JimWilson
you might consider puttin the Reckhorn S90 and S30 on your list as well - the S30 is a coax out of the norm, it comes w/o x-over, the manufacturer asks you to use his digital x-over instead for fine tuning tweeter and woofer individually just as needed. Mr Reck recommends to replace the x-over in S90 in similiar fashion btw - well its made for audio geeks by heart i guess....biggrin.gif
mazpri
post #115 of 138
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post

you might consider puttin the Reckhorn S90 and S30 on your list as well - the S30 is a coax out of the norm, it comes w/o x-over, the manufacturer asks you to use his digital x-over instead for fine tuning tweeter and woofer individually just as needed. Mr Reck recommends to replace the x-over in S90 in similiar fashion btw - well its made for audio geeks by heart i guess....biggrin.gif

It seems like they might qualify for this thread, but it's a bit difficult to get much information on them. The S90 does have a webpage in English, rough as it may be, but the S30 only has a German version so I can't make out what it says (unless I use a translator program). Have you heard either of these speakers? Just curious to know how they sounded.
post #116 of 138
Jim,

I've recently bought and installed the KEF E301 satellite speakers. These are the latest iteration of the egg speakers.

Website for them is here: http://www.kef.com/html/hk_en/showroom/home_theatre_speakers/ESeries/fact_sheets/Systems/E305/index.html
post #117 of 138
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

Jim,

I've recently bought and installed the KEF E301 satellite speakers. These are the latest iteration of the egg speakers.

Website for them is here: http://www.kef.com/html/hk_en/showroom/home_theatre_speakers/ESeries/fact_sheets/Systems/E305/index.html

I could have sworn they were on my list already, but for some reason they weren't. I'll add them on the next update.
post #118 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

It seems like they might qualify for this thread, but it's a bit difficult to get much information on them. The S90 does have a webpage in English, rough as it may be, but the S30 only has a German version so I can't make out what it says (unless I use a translator program). Have you heard either of these speakers? Just curious to know how they sounded.
Hi JimWilson
unfortunately i doubt i will have a chance to listen to those in near future, cuorious as i am, manually computer based fine tuning of digital x-overs per speaker is not my cup of tea, so no purchase on my side. (have way too many Canton Plus this n that & still happy with it)
For the S-30 there is a technical page that is rather straight forward to understand/translate, first is the woofer, the following parameters and second diagram is for the tweeter. The digital x-over "amp" would be the DSP-6.
The web page is really a weak point of Mr Reck, it all looks like a one man show. Some S-90 informations are only available as pictures in the webshop here.
It would be a welcome surprise if some audio geek would have time, money and balls enough to just give it a try and report here about any findings post testing wink.gif
mazpri
post #119 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Thanks for reminding me that this thread was overdue for an update...

I wasn't able to find the SP3 on Morel's website. Do you have a link by chance?

It's in their cataloge only...looks like they've lowered the frequency down to 80Hz and made it more efficient as well.

http://www.morelhifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Morel-home-audio-catalogue-2013-V11-low-res.pdf
post #120 of 138
^regarding the SP3. With a 4"driver, it's interesting that Morel gives the -5dB point at 80Hz. This is a bit strange as the roll off that most people are familiar with is the -3dB point. One thing for sure is that the -3dB point will be much higher than 80Hz. Interested to know what the distortion will be at 80Hz? A frequency response graph showing the +/- dB with on and off axis performance would be interesting as well.

So the law of physics still stand, in that small drivers in small enclosures are not able to re-produce clean bass frequencies to the 80Hz level. Still waiting for a solution to this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Small full range, wideband and coaxial speakers