or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Starhawk Confirmed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Starhawk Confirmed - Page 3

post #61 of 88
Played a few hours tonight. This seems like it's going to rock some amazing multiplayer action!! I was skeptical at first, but this new build system is really gonna add to some great and exciting strategic play. Very refreshing and awesome!!
post #62 of 88
is this game going to have a demo?
post #63 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

is this game going to have a demo?

I think there was an open, or at least a PS Plus Beta for quite some time. I'm not sure if there will be a demo.

Any other initial thoughts from anyone? I expected more comments. I didn't get a chance to play last night, just downloaded DLC, and game data. But I did finish Saints Row III! Yaaay!

I plan on starting Starhawk campaign tonight, then giving multiplayer a whirl after getting a little familiar with the controls and concepts. I'm sure there are some who played the beta quite a bit, and are waiting to prey on lil' ol' me.

I tried the beta for a minute or two, but didn't really know what to do, so I bailed on it. Too many other games to finish. I hope this game lives up to the Warhawk multiplayer legacy, and I am looking forward to the crazy battles that hopefully lie in store.
post #64 of 88
Played through the first mission last night. Had fun with the build n battle system although I find myself trying to target enemies with the structures you can drop. Can't wait to play some more tonight.
post #65 of 88
this game's mp is great, hell of a learning curve, but I can't believe how under marketed it is.
post #66 of 88
^^^ that's why i didn't buy it. if it's like most of sony's multiplayer efforts, it won't have a community that sticks around for very long.
post #67 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

^^^ that's why i didn't buy it. if it's like most of sony's multiplayer efforts, it won't have a community that sticks around for very long.

The Warhawk community was robust 3+ years after launch. You can still get a decent game most nights. What other launch title online game still even has servers running?

I'm heading out this evening to pick this up. Looking forward to it.
post #68 of 88
After playing this game off and on all through the beta and switching between it and Battlefield 3 I realized its basically just not anywhere as good as Battlefield 3. I know the initial reaction is to say they just aren't the same game but really they are. The build and drop system is about 10% of game time the rest is first person shooter. The novelty of build and drop wears off quickly and the vehicle combat isn't as good as battlefield 3's the tactics and strategy aren't as good and the maps they created are far far inferior than the ones created for battlefield 3. Just my two cents but if you want to play this game I would wait for a price drop or two.
post #69 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post


The Warhawk community was robust 3+ years after launch. You can still get a decent game most nights. What other launch title online game still even has servers running?

I'm heading out this evening to pick this up. Looking forward to it.

Yep, very correct. When I scroll through my friends list, I still see a few of them playing warhawk quite a bit. I still get on every now and then as well. I'm expecting starhawk to pretty much do the same.
post #70 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoza_43221 View Post

After playing this game off and on all through the beta and switching between it and Battlefield 3 I realized its basically just not anywhere as good as Battlefield 3. I know the initial reaction is to say they just aren't the same game but really they are. The build and drop system is about 10% of game time the rest is first person shooter. The novelty of build and drop wears off quickly and the vehicle combat isn't as good as battlefield 3's the tactics and strategy aren't as good and the maps they created are far far inferior than the ones created for battlefield 3. Just my two cents but if you want to play this game I would wait for a price drop or two.

You can say they are both shooters, but starhawk is not first person. Otherwise, yeah, you can go around and kill stuff in vehicles and on foot..cool! I own and still need to give battlefield a fair chance..probably don't even have over 5 hours on it yet.
post #71 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

^^^ that's why i didn't buy it. if it's like most of sony's multiplayer efforts, it won't have a community that sticks around for very long.

It has nothing to do with Sony and more to do with everyone playing the same franchises year after year, mainly COD, BF and Halo. That being said KZ2/3, Warhawk, MAG and few other had active communities for quite a long time.

Blame consumers all playing the lowest common denominator games and never venturing from their comfort food.
post #72 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

You can say they are both shooters, but starhawk is not first person. Otherwise, yeah, you can go around and kill stuff in vehicles and on foot..cool! I own and still need to give battlefield a fair chance..probably don't even have over 5 hours on it yet.

Play Starhawk a few hours and then play Battlefield 3 a few hours and make a judgement call to what is better. I still stand by what I said for that type of game feel that Battlefield 3 is just a better experience. I'd say its also a lot better than the Kill Zones as well. As for Mag there is definetly something to be said for having a lot more players, it does change the feel of the game a lot.

Its funny I have largely given up playing Battlefield 3 because the good matches are so far and few between but they are far and few between for starhawk as well. If your looking for games with a different feel to them I would say give Armored Core and Shadowrun a try I still give both those games some game time.(Shadowrun is xbox only)
post #73 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

it has nothing to do with sony and more to do with everyone playing the same franchises year after year, mainly cod, bf and halo. That being said kz2/3, warhawk, mag and few other had active communities for quite a long time.

Blame consumers all playing the lowest common denominator games and never venturing from their comfort food.

+1
post #74 of 88
Will someone please let me know if they have any problems with games freezing on them?. Not sure if it's servers, my ps3, or what, but it has happened three or four times now. I also got some pretty bad slow-mo lag stuff going on when I had split screen going. The split screen system so far is definitely a step or three backwards from warhawk.
post #75 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

Will someone please let me know if they have any problems with games freezing on them?. Not sure if it's servers, my ps3, or what, but it has happened three or four times now. I also got some pretty bad slow-mo lag stuff going on when I had split screen going. The split screen system so far is definitely a step or three backwards from warhawk.

I've had it happen twice so far in 2 hrs of MP. Last night when it froze up I restarted and didn't think much of it.Today I got about an hour before it froze mid match. When I restarted I got a message saying PS3 System Data is corrupted and it needs to be restored. It also said it may take 2 or 3 hrs to restore. It only took 10 min but I'm a little worried about my PS3 now, this never happened to me before.
post #76 of 88
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Smith View Post

I've had it happen twice so far in 2 hrs of MP. Last night when it froze up I restarted and didn't think much of it.Today I got about an hour before it froze mid match. When I restarted I got a message saying PS3 System Data is corrupted and it needs to be restored. It also said it may take 2 or 3 hrs to restore. It only took 10 min but I'm a little worried about my PS3 now, this never happened to me before.

It's not corrupted. Since the firmware update that put in the waring message when you boot your PS3, it also does this if you hard power cycle it without shutting down.

It's a disk check, just like windows does. You can also skip it by waiting 5 seconds and hitting circle.

But Sony being Sony put the worse, most anxiety producing message possible for what it is and does.
post #77 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

But Sony being Sony put the worse, most anxiety producing message possible for what it is and does.


So true Tyrant. Thought I was going to lose some data for sure reading through the message. All is well though just uninformed, thanks for the clarification.
post #78 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoza_43221 View Post

...the good matches are so far and few between but they are far and few between for starhawk as well...

that's your opinion, which is cool.

but i have had nothing but fun matches and a much better experience than B3...

everyone will have a different experience. i'm loving Starhawk, though.
post #79 of 88
I've had the same corrupted data message several times now. I've gone ahead and sent in the report to Sony each time. Mine only took a minute or two for the recovery process though.

I'm loving the game too! I was a menice to society and played through most of the weekend. I already have over 35 hours invested in it.

I only play tdm, and sometimes I jump into games that seem impossible to dig the losing team out of. You respawn into tank or hawk death. You can't build enough rift energy to do much, and if you do and build something, they destroy it just like that. It leaves you with the only option of trying to land on them, and then chunking grenades if you miss, or at least landing on a turret or something they may have planted. Of course I guess there is the option of trying to spawn off to the side and sneaking off tho restrategize. But the game is still too far gone by that point.
post #80 of 88
Also, I know the hawk is supposed to be on a more equal playing field with all the other weapon choices as opposed to the warhawk, but I still find that if you give a game of a couple of really good pilots, it's hard to compete from the ground.

I'm pretty decent at it, and I've totally done a lot of get in and get out damage with it. I got a quintuple kill with the blue 'moab' type bomb, and the cluster ones totally wreck shop too. I got a quadruple kill with those.

One other side note, I thought I did awesome with a 54-3 game, but I saw a dude yesterday get something like 93-7!! He was blasting away with the hawk on one of the space maps - I think it's called orbital. Insane!
post #81 of 88
this thread already died? the game isn't even that old yet. guess it's another miss from sony, eh?
post #82 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

this thread already died? the game isn't even that old yet. guess it's another miss from sony, eh?

I was underwhelmed by the demo... er, beta.

I loved Warhawk. Warhawk felt like playing with an awesome toyset. Starhawk is all dark and angsty and CoD-like. I feel like Starhawk is trying to appeal to the usual FPS/TPS online players--with just a few twists from the old Warhawk playbook. Definitely not my thing.
post #83 of 88
I have only played it a couple of times but I just can't get the hang of it. It seems I'm always getting blasted by a truck or tank. Any helpful hints would greatly be appreciated.
post #84 of 88
post #85 of 88
Also just found the SP is free for PS+ users now!
Quote:
PlayStation®Plus members can download Starhawk™ Single Player and all of the game's DLC for free from 9/25 through 10/23 from the PlayStation®Store

http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus/
post #86 of 88
Is the SP any good? I downloaded it from PS+. How long is it?
post #87 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippldogg View Post

Is the SP any good? I downloaded it from PS+. How long is it?

I downloaded it a few days ago. I've gotten thru five missions so far; don't know how many more there are. Overall I'm having fun with it. There is a nice range of gameplay styles (ground based vehicles, space based vehicles, 3rd person shooting) and all are well presented.

Given that the single player is free for PS+ subscribers, what have you got to lose to try it out (other than 9gb of disc space)?
post #88 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Given that the single player is free for PS+ subscribers, what have you got to lose to try it out (other than 9gb of disc space)?

Pretty much how I looked at it. I have the game anyway and got about 1/4 into it until distracted with other games. MP is a blast if your with friends.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Starhawk Confirmed