or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Having VERY bad luck with Warner HD-DVDs!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Having VERY bad luck with Warner HD-DVDs! - Page 10

post #271 of 488
i have a ton of warner hd-dvds that i haven't played in years. i am almost afraid to check!
post #272 of 488
Dose anyone know wjere i can dix my hd dvds my lethal weapon 1 and the fugitive will not olay for me and i love my hd dvds
post #273 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar360 View Post

Dose anyone know wjere i can dix my hd dvds my lethal weapon 1 and the fugitive will not olay for me and i love my hd dvds

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21381744
post #274 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardustOne View Post

I have checked all my Warner HD DVDs and those are the ones that cannot be played back anymore:
  • [snip]
  • Phantom of the Opera (US) (original shrink wrapped)

Most of them I bought from Amazon.de and I have been told that they cannot help me anymore.

Amazon US even told me I should have returned the movies in 30 Days (but they did not start to go bad back in 2008 when I bought them).

The ones I own from Warner look different, on all the ones that failed to play back I see strange patterns when I look at the discs, they seem to have some sort of optical rainbow or oil effect that is visible inside of the discs, not on the outer protective layer.

Most of the Warner discs that do play back fine have either less visible traces of that oily reflective stuff or they do look just like a CD or Blu-ray, no patterns can be seen on the surface. The Blade Runner HD DVDs have some cloudy patterns but that seems not to be an issue.

I have checked my HD DVDs with either the European HD DVD Player XE1 or an US LG BH200 player.

Dang, I'm new to this thread not reading about this issue until today. My Phantom of the Opera always freezes about halfway on the Toshiba XA2, but plays through on the A35.

But this doesn't bode well in general as I have most of the affected titles.
post #275 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

Dang, I'm new to this thread not reading about this issue until today. My Phantom of the Opera always freezes about halfway on the Toshiba XA2, but plays through on the A35.

But this doesn't bode well in general as I have most of the affected titles.

I was able to backup most of my Warners discs before the rot got them, except one: Forbidden Planet. On a happy note, I watched MI-III on my HD-30 last night without a single problem. No problems with Paramount discs...
post #276 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

Dang, I'm new to this thread not reading about this issue until today. My Phantom of the Opera always freezes about halfway on the Toshiba XA2, but plays through on the A35.

But this doesn't bode well in general as I have most of the affected titles.

The problems are almost 100% with Warner titles. Test them all - especially first loading up and about 1/2 way through (layer break area maybe?). Then contact Warner in Burbank about the defective ones - they were very supportive and helpful for me.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21381744
post #277 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

The problems are almost 100% with Warner titles. Test them all - especially first loading up and about 1/2 way through (layer break area maybe?). Then contact Warner in Burbank about the defective ones - they were very supportive and helpful for me.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21381744

Good advice, I will. Thanks for posting your experience with them.
post #278 of 488
This is not a problem limited to Warner, it is a problem shared by all HD DVD's as well as the oldest versions of DVD's.

I posted photos of the degenerated discs on this thread many months ago showing the plaques and dispersed 'freckles' that are clearly visible under a tungsten light source. These discs have continued to worsen since then.

I probably have the best A/V set-up on the planet (maybe) with a 9' wide Stewart screen and this magnification amplifies any errors.

I prefer HD DVD's since in my humble opinion, in general, they provide better resolution than BRD's. For example Caddyshack, Deliverance, Lucky Number Slevin, The Perfect Storm, The Phantom of the Opera etc.

Once again, if any of you guys have a viable copy of an HD DVD I urge you to make an ISO of it while you can (Slysoft is the way to go, it's a bit expensive but worth every penny).

Anybody that has a viable "Back-up" of the above please contact me, and I will make the appropriate accommodation.

Stuart

There are very few problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is most definitely not for you.
post #279 of 488
Thread Starter 
Argh- got one more bad one- "One Last Thing" from Magnolia Entertainment. The other discs I have from them were made by Technicolor but this one was from Cinram, so I made sure to play it right away and you guessed it- freezes up after an hour. Just sent an email to Magnolia asking if they have any more of these around or at least if I can exchange it for a Blu-Ray. Looked like a good movie, too.
post #280 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Argh- got one more bad one- "One Last Thing" from Magnolia Entertainment. The other discs I have from them were made by Technicolor but this one was from Cinram, so I made sure to play it right away and you guessed it- freezes up after an hour. Just sent an email to Magnolia asking if they have any more of these around or at least if I can exchange it for a Blu-Ray. Looked like a good movie, too.

not surprising, as my understanding is that cinram is the culprit with the Warner defectives also. contact Magnolia - there is a good chance they will replace it, as they replaced a defective hd-dvd for me recently (The Host).
post #281 of 488
I backed up all the WB titles (I have them all) as isos on my hard drives. Four of them gave read errors (Wyatt Earp, Troy DC, Galapagos and Mutiny on the Bounty), which I reordered and the replacements worked fine.
post #282 of 488
The only one of the 4 that I have seen is 'Troy'.

The quality of resolution, in my humble opinion, is that the HD DVD is much better than the BRD.

Stuart
post #283 of 488
well, i have only checked a couple of my nearly 100 hd-dvd's, they all started playing fine but if part of the checkout process involves the layer switch i have no idea where that is on any given title, so i imagine my best option is just to start backing it all up and check for errors huh?

the library is large enough that i'm willing to do that... i'm going to test the first ten warner titles i can grab from my rack tonight just out of curiousity. this is like the cd-rot infestation of the late 90s european discs all over again lol
post #284 of 488
you need to download TsMuxer. This is a free download and will tell you immediately if there are any bad sectors.

I assume that you are going to use Slysoft to make the ISO's. Expensive, but worth every penny.

I live in Hawaii, and I am guessing that the humidity has initiated a fungus that has separated the two layers since the playback stops abruptly at about this predicted time.

Once having made an ISO on a RE disc, check it out for pixellation or just an abrupt stop at the transition point.

Incidentally, I have started to see "Rot" in the earliest BRD's! This would be catastrophic for those who are using 100GB BRD's to store data.

I don't want to sound like a simplistic copy of the "Conspiracy Theory", but is there something that we have not been appraised of with regard to the longevity of these media? Frankly, in this age of designed obsolescence it would not surprise me at all.

Stuart
post #285 of 488
i've checked around 20 warner hd-dvd's today and all have played so far. I also chose a later chapter in each title to test a potential second layer. knock on wood - so far so good.
post #286 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

i've checked around 20 warner hd-dvd's today and all have played so far. I also chose a later chapter in each title to test a potential second layer. knock on wood - so far so good.

If you are spot checking, I suggest you check around the middle of the main feature, as that hopefully would be somewhere around the layer break, where most of the problems I experienced occurred (I believe the data is stored from the inside of the disc towards the outside, so the problematic area is the outermost ring area of the media).
post #287 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

If you are spot checking, I suggest you check around the middle of the main feature, as that hopefully would be somewhere around the layer break, where most of the problems I experienced occurred (I believe the data is stored from the inside of the disc towards the outside, so the problematic area is the outermost ring area of the media).

just spot checking the beginning and later chapter takes so long i can't imagine checking the layer switches for every title manually.

i guess i will have to go the backup route just to fully check this. I have had several "no disc" errors on my XA2 but i've always had that, putting the disc back in usually fixes this, my only truly failed disc so far is "THE INVASION".
post #288 of 488
wow, Training Day just crapped out after a couple of minutes. knocking on wood did not work for me.
post #289 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post

I backed up all the WB titles (I have them all) as isos on my hard drives. Four of them gave read errors (Wyatt Earp, Troy DC, Galapagos and Mutiny on the Bounty), which I reordered and the replacements worked fine.

Just noticed that 3 of these titles are over 3 hours long and the other is 2 1/2 hours. Maybe it's more likely a long running title will fail first, I don't know.
post #290 of 488
Thread Starter 
And yet another one- Enron- The Smartest Guys in the Room, from Magnolia made by Cinram. They never replied to my email last week about "One Last Thing" so will try to call their phone number this week. I'm just about ready to give up on HD-DVD collecting, I have all of the really big titles anyways.
post #291 of 488
I'm about halfway checking all of my hd-dvd's and so far the only two that have failed are Training Day and Invasion (both Warner). Training Day stops working at the 5 minute mark, and Invasion won't even load. I'm watching the first ten minutes or so of each disc so it's possible there are more failures I just haven't found yet.

On a side note, i forgot how subpar a lot of the early Universal HD transfers were!!!!
post #292 of 488
Add A Christmas Story to the list- Ho Ho Ho! You'll shoot your eye out!
post #293 of 488
oleus,

Unless you watch to the layer break (somewhere around 1 hour into the movie in most cases) you won't really know what the situation is. Most of my HD DVD's are fine, until you hit that layer break on Warner titles, then all bets are off. When trying to rip them to my hard drive, quite often the second part of the main feature (right where the layer break is) refuses to properly read off the disc.
post #294 of 488
Hmmm...sounds like it is time to upgrade my NAS box to 4TB and rip all of my HD DVD's. The only one I've ripped is an import (Fragile) that wasn't released in theaters in the US, much less Blu-ray or DVD. Strange how it had Calista Flockhart as the main character, you would have thought it would have a US release.
post #295 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

oleus,

Unless you watch to the layer break (somewhere around 1 hour into the movie in most cases) you won't really know what the situation is. Most of my HD DVD's are fine, until you hit that layer break on Warner titles, then all bets are off. When trying to rip them to my hard drive, quite often the second part of the main feature (right where the layer break is) refuses to properly read off the disc.

will playing a section that is definitely after the break work as a test or do i actually have to check the actual layer switch?

i found my first universal disc failure - Bourne Supremacy.

As for Warner titles - Training Day stops playing after about 5 minutes and the Invasion won't load. But like you said I likely have problemed discs i haven't had the pleasure of knowing are failures yet....
post #296 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

will playing a section that is definitely after the break work as a test or do i actually have to check the actual layer switch?

i found my first universal disc failure - Bourne Supremacy.

As for Warner titles - Training Day stops playing after about 5 minutes and the Invasion won't load. But like you said I likely have problemed discs i haven't had the pleasure of knowing are failures yet....

Sometimes I have found it is possible to skip past the problem and keep going, other times the disc simply won't play any further. You just need to try them to find out.
post #297 of 488
Just tried playing Training Day and Viva Las Vegas (both Warner) for the first time. Both would not load and locked the machine. I had to unplug/plug my XA-2 and then hit the open/close to get the disc out of the machine.
post #298 of 488
No problem with TRAINING DAY on my A30. Whew!
post #299 of 488
My copy of WB " Full Metal Jacket" will no longer play. Errors out about halfway through. It was OK a few months ago.
post #300 of 488
Same for "Goodfellas". I think I'll stop checking. This is getting to be depressing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Having VERY bad luck with Warner HD-DVDs!