or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Having VERY bad luck with Warner HD-DVDs!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Having VERY bad luck with Warner HD-DVDs! - Page 2

post #31 of 488
Yes, I sold that stuff in our shop, and was always in contact with the TOSHIBA distributor, and always "up to date". XE1 was the last (and BEST) machine...
post #32 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post

What firmware are you guys using? Have you tried updating or rolling back?

I have an HTPC with an LG GGCH20L HD/BD combo drive & I'm using a secondary drive (x360 HD) too(with the latest firmware).My software players:Totalmedia 3 & PowerDVD7.

My Blood Diamond Disc was perfect when I've bought It,but I'm not able to watch It anymore.I've never was any trouble with my HD discs.This is the 1st case and I don't understand what caused this.

Ok,here's my theory:

Maybe It was a bad print and somehow It has been damaged (or rotted) under a few years.It sounds to me logical.

This mistake is unacceptable from Warner & any other Distributor who really (?) want to sell their catalogue titles for costumers.I paid a lot of money for these movies and I wanted to watching them for many years.

I hope my BDs will not repeat this errors because I'll not buy movies in the future (on any optical formats) anymore.
post #33 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

I can see what you mean. This is the first I'm hearing that discs that did play previously now do not, something I've never experienced either. Interesting.

Not interesting.It's a really sad thing...
post #34 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Back on the Warner side, BOTH discs of Alexander Revisited glitch and freeze about 25 minutes into each one (the movie is split on 2 discs)

Mine is working without errors.

I'll check my all HD discs in the next few days.
post #35 of 488
As I mentioned earlier, a few days ago I opened up a thread in the German "cinefacts" forum.
The users there are now also checking their discs. If we put together the titles mentioned here and there, we can assume, that almost pretty every WARNER title is in question...

That makes me very nervous.

The only good news is, that WARNER's customer Service invited me to send them my defective discs for evaluation/exchange.

But at the end I fear, that it's only a matter of time, that we have to say "good bye" to the rest.
post #36 of 488
Holy F! My mother back in El Salvador, to whom I gave a Toshiba player with dozens of HD-DVD (and DVD) movies back in 2008, checked her "Blood Diamond" HD-DVD a few days ago (she told me last night over Skype) just because she wanted to see a Leo DiCaprio movie after seeing her "Catch Me If You Can" DVD for the umpteen millionth time. This was totally unrelated to the recent scare here, she just did this on her own. Mom saw the movie a few years ago and it played fine, but this past weekend "Blood Diamond" would't boot-up or play at all on her Tosh player (A3 model).
post #37 of 488
I recently purchased a lot of 70 new, sealed HD DVDs which included Blood Diamond. I finally watched it today without a stall or sputter. This was a sealed case but these don't appear air-tight to me.

So what is the proposed mechanism of this aging failure? If age alone is the problem, then wouldn't this disc already be unplayable? Do you surmise it is the combination of time and some laser exposure? Though it seems a bit fantastic that a disc which has been watched a couple of times previously now is unplayable after a few years, just because it sat in the case.

I'm trying to keep an open mind folks but just don't understand what might be going on here. Obviously some people are experiencing something amiss, but I don't understand why this wouldn't be something more widely acknowledged on a site like AVS and elsewhere.
post #38 of 488
Thread Starter 
I've had a few regular DVDs go bad and either not play at all or stutter and glitch periodically (titles were: Boogie Nights original 1998 DVD manufactured by Panasonic won't play at all, Halloween 4 made by Crest National stopped playing, and Training Day made in Canada by an unknown manufacturer (possibly Warner?) now glitches on the 2nd layer.) Of course a number of laserdiscs have developed video noise after a few years too- my copy of "Heavy Metal" made by Sony DADC played perfectly when I got it, but now has lots of analog noise. I've gotten several other discs second-hand from that manufacturer with laser rot also. I don't know if these HD-DVDs ever would have played properly had I gotten to them sooner.

Alterfilmnarr- who at Warner did you contact (and was it in the US or elsewhere?) I just got an email back from Warner in Burbank saying they would only take back my bad discs if I had the receipts, and ONLY the ones bought from traditional stores, not any from Amazon Marketplace or Ebay sellers even if they were still sealed. This is making me VERY angry- dead format or not, there's no excuse for this many discs not playing properly, and they should remedy any bad discs out there regardless of where I bought them (as long as they weren't stolen and aren't bootleg copies)!
post #39 of 488
whvkundenservice@warnerbros.com

It is the German customer support, and to be honest, I was quite surprised about the quick positive response...

On the other side I fully understand Your feelings about the answer You've got.

If I would have received such statement, I would sure find a way to make more "rumble" in our print media...

Yes sure, after two years (here in Europe) they are not really bound to react - BUT that's what I really expect from a company, to which I gave many thousands
of for my big LP, CD, DVD etc collection during the las 40 years...
post #40 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

I recently purchased a lot of 70 new, sealed HD DVDs which included Blood Diamond. I finally watched it today without a stall or sputter. This was a sealed case but these don't appear air-tight to me.

So what is the proposed mechanism of this aging failure? If age alone is the problem, then wouldn't this disc already be unplayable? Do you surmise it is the combination of time and some laser exposure? Though it seems a bit fantastic that a disc which has been watched a couple of times previously now is unplayable after a few years, just because it sat in the case.

I'm trying to keep an open mind folks but just don't understand what might be going on here. Obviously some people are experiencing something amiss, but I don't understand why this wouldn't be something more widely acknowledged on a site like AVS and elsewhere.

...because chemical interaction can go on veeeery slowly. What about the glue between the layers???
post #41 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by alterfilmnarr View Post
...because chemical interaction can go on veeeery slowly. What about the glue between the layers???
This is what I'm trying to understand and I may well not have the knowledge base to understand this. If this is a time dependent process, wouldn't we be seeing massive failures across all of these discs by now? No discs have been made in a few years, so basically all were manufactured between 2006 and 2008. I can see where one plant or another may have utilized different processes and maybe that's what we're looking at?

I still maintain that different production runs seem to have more of these errors out of the gate, so it wouldn't be too hard to imagine that glues, stampings, etc. might have been different too. I just don't know enough about the disc production process to comment on it specifically. Just one more thing to watch out for, I guess.
post #42 of 488
As far as I can tell, NOT so many users read THIS thread, as well as the thread in the German forum. The few guys who do, have startet to eveluate their discs. And if I see HOW MANY faulty discs they have already found in their collections , I would speak of a wide spread problem, which most of the collectors are not aware of right now. I fear they will get a "wake up call", when they are in the mood to watch one of those discs again. And even THEN, they maybe think of bad luck for the moment.

In the meantime I started to check my discs, not coming from WARNER - and at the moment everything seems fine

Because I'm coming from Austria, I once again beg Your pardon for my not so perfect English!
post #43 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by alterfilmnarr View Post
As far as I can tell, NOT so many users read THIS thread, as well as the thread in the German forum. The few guys who do, have startet to eveluate their discs. And if I see HOW MANY faulty discs they have already found in their collections , I would speak of a wide spread problem, which most of the collectors are not aware of right now. I fear they will get a "wake up call", when they are in the mood to watch one of those discs again. And even THEN, they maybe think of bad luck for the moment.

In the meantime I started to check my discs, not coming from WARNER - and at the moment everything seems fine

Because I'm coming from Austria, I once again beg Your pardon for my not so perfect English!
Yep. I just noticed Goodfellas having issues yesterday so I look here on the BH-200 thread to see if it's a player issue and find that people are complaining about early Warner HD DVDs and then I noticed this thread. When I get home from work tonight the HD-A2 is getting hooked up and all Warner disks are getting a workout; if they fail on both drives I'm going to assume it's a disk issue. I would imagine it is some sort of chemical process (like adhesive breaking down) and now that the cat is starting to get out of the bag Warner will hear about it.
post #44 of 488
Welcome to the club

If I may give You som advice (to shorten the process a little bit):

After inserting the disc, it's enough to keep it running for 3 minutes or so. I had discs, which were not recognized anymore at all, and one, which freezed after one minute.

THEN eveluate the middle of the movie's running time, and skip about 20 minutes BEFORE that point. Mostly the layer change takes place around that mark.
If the disc "survives" the next 40 minutes You can be 95% sure, that there will be no further problem (at the moment)...

This makes the thing a little bit easier I hope...

Good luck!!
post #45 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Alterfilmnarr- who at Warner did you contact (and was it in the US or elsewhere?) I just got an email back from Warner in Burbank saying they would only take back my bad discs if I had the receipts, and ONLY the ones bought from traditional stores, not any from Amazon Marketplace or Ebay sellers even if they were still sealed. This is making me VERY angry- dead format or not, there's no excuse for this many discs not playing properly, and they should remedy any bad discs out there regardless of where I bought them (as long as they weren't stolen and aren't bootleg copies)!

Nobody can require that you pick up the receipts for that long time.

Now i have checked ~30 Warner Discs and 7 of them are defect
post #46 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by alterfilmnarr View Post

Welcome to the club

If I may give You som advice (to shorten the process a little bit):

After inserting the disc, it's enough to keep it running for 3 minutes or so. I had discs, which were not recognized anymore at all, and one, which freezed after one minute.

THEN eveluate the middle of the movie's running time, and skip about 20 minutes BEFORE that point. Mostly the layer change takes place around that mark.
If the disc "survives" the next 40 minutes You can be 95% sure, that there will be no further problem (at the moment)...

This makes the thing a little bit easier I hope...

Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice, I'll try those tips and hopefully get through the process much quicker. I'm not even certain how many Warner Disks I have, but I know I have a bunch. If I get home and Batman Begins, The Matrix films, V For Vendetta, Blade Runner and Blazing Saddles are impacted I'm going to be VERY ANGRY. Not turning Hulk Green angry, but angry just the same.
post #47 of 488
I checked a few Warner titles so here You go:

300(non combo,Germany): perfect
V For Vendetta(UK): perfect
The Prestige(UK): perfect
Terminator 3(US):It was a sealed copy but I've opened It for checking & It's working without probs so "no problemo".
16 Blocks (UK): perfect
Alexander Revisited(US):I've checked 1st& 2nd Discs also.everythings fine
Enter The Dragon(US): perfect
House Of Wax(UK): perfect
Troy:Extended Cut (US): perfect
Harry Potter 1(UK): Perfect
Harry Potter 2(UK): Perfect
Harry Potter 3(US): Perfect
Harry Potter 4(UK): Perfect
Harry Potter 5(non combo,Australia): Perfect
Swordfish(US): perfect

I found 2 problematic Warner titles only:Blood Diamond (totally unreadable) and The Last Samurai (it has layer break/freezing problem but my X360 HD Drive read It without errors)

I checked a few Universal & Paramount titles also but I didn't have any problems with them.

Maybe this is a small "favor" (or a gift ?) from Warner to the remain HD DVD fans.
post #48 of 488
Thread Starter 
I think the US Warner discs were made in Olyphant, PA. I don't know if they had a separate plant in Canada or not, but I assume they did outside the continent. (I have the BBC Robin Hood series from the UK and the text stamped on the discs looks different than the US Warner discs.)

Got a few replacements in the mail today- Viva Las Vegas STILL won't load at all, and Superman and The Fugitive still freeze up (I let them play from the beginning uninterrupted until they freeze before declaring them defective.) Swordfish was fine though, and Training Day had a slight glitch where the picture broke up for a second, but since it didn't skip or freeze I'm letting that slide. The bad ones here I can return to Amazon and I'll keep ordering replacements til I get good ones or they're all gone!

If anyone wants to make an organized complaint against Warner for this, count me in!
post #49 of 488
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Now i have checked ~30 Warner Discs and 7 of them are defect

Which ones are they? I'm wondering if there's any pattern to the affected titles (seems like there must be as I've gotten multiple defective copies of some.)
post #50 of 488
Yes it would be nice to document the defective titles people have come across, not just to see which the worst of them might be, but so that others of us (who aren't inclined to expend alot of energy checking discs) can chime-in.

So far one movie that I keep seeing here is Last Samurai which I have. Blood Diamond seems another common problem but I don't have that one. Others?
post #51 of 488
If I compare the titles in Germany with the titles mentioned in US, cannot really see a pattern, besides that newer titles as "Blood Diamond" and "Letters From Iwo Jima" are more often in discussion.

BUT, I think also that more of the users have bought THAT titles, than - let's say "Viva Las Vegas".
So it is logical, that we will see some titles more often than others...

And it also seems to happen randomly - I have here now 3 dics of some specific titles, and always one is defective and the other two still work. That's exhausting.
post #52 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Got a few replacements in the mail today- Viva Las Vegas STILL won't load at all, and Superman and The Fugitive still freeze up (I let them play from the beginning uninterrupted until they freeze before declaring them defective.) Swordfish was fine though, and Training Day had a slight glitch where the picture broke up for a second, but since it didn't skip or freeze I'm letting that slide. The bad ones here I can return to Amazon and I'll keep ordering replacements til I get good ones or they're all gone!

The replacements were coming from WARNER or amazon? And You've got HD-DVD's again?
post #53 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Which ones are they? I'm wondering if there's any pattern to the affected titles (seems like there must be as I've gotten multiple defective copies of some.)

First i must say that i'm from the same forum as alterfilmnarr. Im not using the same username there.
My tests are not finished yet, there are ~12 discs left. When i´m finished i´ll post more details, for example the ring-number, the chapter and a time code for my discs.
Here are the first 7 Titles:
Matrix 1 (german disc)
Letters from Iwo Jima (german disc)
The Assassination of Jesse James... (german disc)
Ocean´s 13 (german disc)
The Island (german disc)
The Reaping (german disc)
Blood Diamond (german disc)
post #54 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laborix View Post
First i must say that i'm from the same forum as alterfilmnarr.
...so let's carry the "message" all over the world
post #55 of 488
I haven't gone through my Warner discs (I'd guess they number around slightly over 100..eek), hopefully my discs will be alright, otherwise I'll be asking for BDs as replacements, since nearly all were identical to the HD DVDs, and priced the same when I bought them.
post #56 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laborix View Post

First i must say that i'm from the same forum as alterfilmnarr. Im not using the same username there.
My tests are not finished yet, there are ~12 discs left. When i´m finished i´ll post more details, for example the ring-number, the chapter and a time code for my discs.
Here are the first 7 Titles:
Matrix 1 (german disc)
Letters from Iwo Jima (german disc)
The Assassination of Jesse James... (german disc)
Ocean´s 13 (german disc)
The Island (german disc)
The Reaping (german disc)
Blood Diamond (german disc)

My copy is working perfectly from The Reaping HD DVD.
post #57 of 488
Thread Starter 
That's not good if a lot of the German discs are going bad. I don't have any from there but I imagine they weren't made in the US.

Got a few more replacements yesterday- Blood Diamond STILL froze up at the beginning of the movie, but played all the intro stuff. Watched all of The Good Shepherd (LONG movie!) with no problems though, and skipped through all discs of Blade Runner, Alexander, The Wild Bunch and Purple Rain and those seem OK- will watch those all the way through as soon as I have time.
post #58 of 488
Thread Starter 
..And Purple Rain's defective again. Chapter-skipping let me get through the whole movie, but actually watching it, it glitched a bit then froze a couple minutes later. The Wild Bunch has a few glitches but doesn't skip or freeze, so under the circumstances I'll call that good enough.

The Amazon seller also sent me another Willy Wonka in just a white envelope (going against my obsessiveness) and it won't play at all- so that and Blood Diamond are in the 3-Strikes club now. (Since they opened the case and touched it, I'd hoped they checked the disc while they were at it but guess they didn't.)
post #59 of 488
Thread Starter 
AND... since I couldn't go to sleep without finding one more, Gods and Generals (2-sided with standard DVD special features on side 2.) Plays the opening crap, but then shows "System Error" message on screen and "NOT PLAY" on the display after that. Paid a premium for this one, and there's currently none on Ebay and $30 on Amazon. I'm just about to give up on this and send the lot to Warner with a note telling them to follow their conscience.
post #60 of 488
I've been reading this thread with growing alarm. I didn't have time to check anything except for Blood Diamond. Mine has started to freeze up too . It froze up on the same Integra DHS 8.8 that had no problems playing it 2 months ago.

This is just great. First we had laser rot with Laserdiscs. Then we find out CD-r's and DVD-r's go bad in few years. Now we have Warners rot.

I think I'm going to stick with vinyl and old Nakamichis from now on. At least they work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Having VERY bad luck with Warner HD-DVDs!