Originally Posted by George7806
Has anyone managed to integrate iRule into a Landmark system using the existing systems IR cards serial controllers? Ir there a way to capture the commands that the landmark system using and send it with the iRule? I have quite a few devices etc. to control, so it would be a lot easier to use the existing IR, Serial etc controllers that are part of the original system. Thanks, for any help!
I haven't researched iRule much. However, if iRule has the capacity to create custom device modules, then in theory it should work fine. If iRule can do custom modules, and/or custom serial strings, then I would do the following:
- Create a custom device module in iRule, using distinct serial commands (i.e. button 1 = "btn001", button 2 = "btn002", feedback event = "fdbck001", etc...)
- Create a "GenCombo" device in Landmark. Do this by going to the "Inventory page" in Landmark. Under "equipment types", click the "ADD" button. A dialogue window will appear, then select "Combination", then click next. Give it a identifiable name, and toolbar location (so you can locate it to drag into your project). Click next. Click "Add RS-232", leave the name Serial 232 on popup, then click "Ok". Then click next. You can click "Next" on the bitmap page without assigning one. You'll see a status page "assigning serial rs-232 attributes", then click next. The next page is for your "Commands" (i.e. the strings you'll be sending to iRule). Select the desired baud rate & serial parameters. Enter any command names and associated serial strings here. Click next. The next page is the "Event" page. This is where Landmark looks for incoming serial strings from iRule. Enter event names and associated strings here. Click next, and then click "Finish". You've just created the link between Landmark and iRule.
- Now go to the tab in which you created your "Gencombo" device on the Landmark "Design" page. Drag and drop into the desired room/page. Hit "F5" to spec hardware. This will populate the new GenCombo device onto a RS-232 card in your cardframe view.
- On the "program" page, under the room in which your placed your GenCombo device. Select the device and you will see the "Event" strings for the device you just created. This is where you add the programming. Whenever Landmark Gencombo device sees "feedback event 1", then do XYZ.
- If you need to add more Gencombo commands or feedback events, you can go back to the inventory page, find the device, and click "Edit". Make sure you save your work.
This is a laborious process, but it should work just fine.
Thanks for the fun memory of creating Landmark Gencombo devices. Brings me back to my days at PHAST/AMX.