or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 390

post #11671 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

OK, so I watched the two side by side and there are extended cuts in that sequence leading up to the part where the door falls on the guy running away and it actually comes back into sync with the TE for a bit before focusing a little bit longer on the girl at the end of the scene. The new 30Hz area where we see the lone red spot is right before the door falling on the guy, and matches some slightly new/different cuts of the dragon flyover.

If you watch the comparison fade in and out, think of the extended bass as the extra scenes they cut in and on top of the TE sequence. It's like they edited in these cuts and forgot that they had used a different HPF on the low end. So where it should be consistent 10-30Hz mild action, it actually will come in and out where they edited in the new bits!


What a mess. Thanks for the report. So just to confirm, the ONLY areas that have extended bass are the additional scenes brought on by the extended addition, correct? ALL the scenes that the two cuts have in common are exactly the same?
post #11672 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

OK, so I watched the two side by side and there are extended cuts in that sequence leading up to the part where the door falls on the guy running away and it actually comes back into sync with the TE for a bit before focusing a little bit longer on the girl at the end of the scene. The new 30Hz area where we see the lone red spot is right before the door falling on the guy, and matches some slightly new/different cuts of the dragon flyover.

If you watch the comparison fade in and out, think of the extended bass as the extra scenes they cut in and on top of the TE sequence. It's like they edited in these cuts and forgot that they had used a different HPF on the low end. So where it should be consistent 10-30Hz mild action, it actually will come in and out where they edited in the new bits!

Is it distracting if you didn't watch them at the same time? Having never seen the movie, I wonder if I will notice?
post #11673 of 16113

The Wolverine (2013)

 

post #11674 of 16113
That looks awesome!
post #11675 of 16113
Wow,

Thanks for the Hobbit graphs. It's just like Star Wars on DVD and Blu. In some scenes, the Millenium Falcon will shake your house, and in others, not so much, due to adding bass for some effects and not others.

This is a true screw-up. Instead of re-doing the entire film, they just focused on not filtering the new stuff as much, leaving the original mistakes in place. Too bad.

The Wolverine looks very good. Reminds me of Percy Jackson.

JSS
post #11676 of 16113
Am I reading these graphs right? if i am that means Wolverine is actually going to be a very good LFE movie? no filter?
post #11677 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

The World's End (2013)


Looks good, if it's as good as Hot Fuzz then it should be fun! tongue.gif
post #11678 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Is it distracting if you didn't watch them at the same time? Having never seen the movie, I wonder if I will notice?
I think these extended Hobbit scenes will offer easy 'back-to-back' comparisons between 'Stupid Filter' and 'Slightly Less Stupid Filter', as contained within the extended scene you are watching will be both the original mix and the revised mix, without needing to stop the playback and swap another disc in! tongue.gif


I just simply don't understand the decision to remove so much bass, which clearly must have been mixed in originally if the extended scenes contain it, especially as it appears that the re-introduction of the bass (well, what little there is...) seems to have had zero impact on the top end of the spectrum, the usual argument/reason put forward for removing it.

Just because most systems can't reproduce it, why remove it? People watching it on a 'normal' system or even just through TV speakers won't need to worry about speaker damage because I'm sure that the system internals will have a HPF within the chain, so leave the bass in and let those who can produce it, enjoy it!



[/rant] lol


One can only hope that the continued message from AV communities, that poor bass is neutering what should be a good experience, will reach the top of the chain, although I suspect that The Hobbit extended bass reproduction is probably more an oversight than a deliberate addition...

Having enjoyed Oblivion's non-voiced and perfectly balanced score a couple of times this week already while pottering round getting things done, having a full-range and immersive soundscape is blissful!
post #11679 of 16113
Anybody do a graph of Man of Steel yet?
post #11680 of 16113
Riddick: Pitch Black, Director's cut, Blu-Ray. One and a half stars would be my impression... it's like the prototype for the Hobbit in LFE mixed with the storytelling genius of After Earth.

Ended up stopping the movie in the middle and running Flight of the Phoenix through my Aios just to make sure the sub amp was on. It was. While I was doing that, the Blu-Ray player somehow switched back to the theatrical version and the LFE improved somewhat to roughly two star level.

This movie came out of the bargain bin... wish I could throw it back in there.
post #11681 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Nice vid of KFP! Is that your system? That one finger nuke explosion thing was awesome with my dual Submersives

Yes of course it's my system!
I've used the ska-doosh countlewss times for demo scene, no need for seat bass shakers in my set-up biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

I love that the sub in that video is called Usul!

Yep - I cut thru my foundation wall to intstall my IB sub, with approval of my basement engineering wall company of course to ensure stability of foundation kept.
here is picture of the utility room, where my backwave vents into.
Rock solid, zero in-plane flex here!!
There are 11" thick concrete studs on each side of my IB baffle plate....
WiringSub.JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

Anybody do a graph of Man of Steel yet?

Please - this got a 100 audio score by Ralph in the review section.....
post #11682 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

What a mess. Thanks for the report. So just to confirm, the ONLY areas that have extended bass are the additional scenes brought on by the extended addition, correct? ALL the scenes that the two cuts have in common are exactly the same?

From what I can tell this is the case. I'd have to watch both versions side by side and compare the entire thing to be sure. It seems at least for the most "memorable" (used loosely) bass moments in the theatrical edition (Smaug and the stone giants) that this is true.

The scenes that have both original and new footage intertwined I think do alternate between filters, though with exception I believe if they edited in a longer version of the same shot that it recevied the "less filtered" treatment as well. So there is potential for "bits" of footage that were in the TE to have more extension this go around.

In all, it was weak before and marginally less weak in precious few places now- so it doesn't matter much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Is it distracting if you didn't watch them at the same time? Having never seen the movie, I wonder if I will notice?

Doubtful at these levels you'd notice, and since it cuts in and out on a shot by shot basis, wouldn't be too distracting even if you could.

It's just extremely lazy and disappointing.
post #11683 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Am I reading these graphs right? if i am that means Wolverine is actually going to be a very good LFE movie? no filter?

 

Peaks (green line) look pretty good in the low end but the average starts to roll off around 20hz. Overall the lfe is great compared to what we've been getting recently.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

Anybody do a graph of Man of Steel yet?

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/11100_100#post_23839619

post #11684 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

Riddick: Pitch Black, Director's cut, Blu-Ray. One and a half stars would be my impression... it's like the prototype for the Hobbit in LFE mixed with the storytelling genius of After Earth.

Ended up stopping the movie in the middle and running Flight of the Phoenix through my Aios just to make sure the sub amp was on. It was. While I was doing that, the Blu-Ray player somehow switched back to the theatrical version and the LFE improved somewhat to roughly two star level.

This movie came out of the bargain bin... wish I could throw it back in there.

LOLOL, as soon as you seen that turd Vin Diesel on the cover you shoulda known it was gonna be poop.
post #11685 of 16113
I like Vin. Why do you feel he is a turd out of curiosity? I thought Pitch Black was a good film as well. Nothing worth mentioning for bass though IIRC.
post #11686 of 16113
I just have never been able to stand him, he pushes his voice the entire time he talks, always wearing a muscle shirt every time I see him (which is the Epitome of a Dirtbag/Loser in my book) and hes a hammy actor. I cant stand him, or Nic Cage, I try not to even watch trailers for movies with them in it. tongue.gif
post #11687 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

I just have never been able to stand him, he pushes his voice the entire time he talks, always wearing a muscle shirt every time I see him (which is the Epitome of a Dirtbag/Loser in my book) and hes a hammy actor. I cant stand him, or Nic Cage, I try not to even watch trailers for movies with them in it. tongue.gif


Thanks. Interesting how different perception can be. Every interview I have seen with him he comes off as a nice guy from my perspective with a light hearted personality and he's a gaming nerd at heart. tongue.gif The muscle shirts (I don't know if I would even call what he wears muscle shirts as every time I have seen him interviewed he wears a fitted t-shirt........I guess this is a muscle shirt?) don't bother me a bit as the guy has obviously worked hard to get in the great shape he is in and he should be proud of it.

Oh well, no worries. I was just curious and we are WAY off topic obviously!
post #11688 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

Riddick: Pitch Black, Director's cut, Blu-Ray. One and a half stars would be my impression... it's like the prototype for the Hobbit in LFE mixed with the storytelling genius of After Earth.

Ended up stopping the movie in the middle and running Flight of the Phoenix through my Aios just to make sure the sub amp was on. It was. While I was doing that, the Blu-Ray player somehow switched back to the theatrical version and the LFE improved somewhat to roughly two star level.

This movie came out of the bargain bin... wish I could throw it back in there.

LOLOL, as soon as you seen that turd Vin Diesel on the cover you shoulda known it was gonna be poop.

Someone with a Billy Bob Thornton ref as his nom de plume shouldn't get too righteous about turds.... smile.gif

Just saw Find Me Guilty the other day, a good effort by Vin. You want bad try Ice Cube as XXX.
post #11689 of 16113
Im sure everybody has an actor they cant stand, I used to loathe Bruce Willis too, but ive warmed up to him, mostly because of Pulp Fiction, thats the first movie I actually liked him in. wink.gif
post #11690 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Someone with a Billy Bob Thornton ref as his nom de plume shouldn't get too righteous about turds.... smile.gif

Just saw Find Me Guilty the other day, a good effort by Vin. You want bad try Ice Cube as XXX.
Yeah, but the Friday movies were great 😎
post #11691 of 16113
Well gentlemen I made it through WWZ. The other night and it was a good watch. What did it get rated?
post #11692 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Well gentlemen I made it through WWZ. The other night and it was a good watch. What did it get rated?

 

4.25

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/page-67#entry1681

post #11693 of 16113
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1498336/man-of-steel-3d-2d-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review

Man of Steel with 5 star bass by reviewer. 100 Audio score. eek.gif Can anyone confirm this?
post #11694 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1498336/man-of-steel-3d-2d-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review

Man of Steel with 5 star bass by reviewer. 100 Audio score. eek.gif Can anyone confirm this?

He even specifically states "Low frequency extension" is a maxed out, five star rating.

That's why these reviews are a sham. I don't know why anyone reads them.
Quote:
Low frequency effects are applied authoritatively and effectively underscore the bombastic and dramatic aspects of the audio. This mix delivers bass response that can be room shaking as it extends down to lower frequencies that on occasion approach skin tingling regions.

It's just ridiculous nonsense that anyone could write prior to having actually even viewed the disc. rolleyes.gif



The low frequencies drop like a rock at 30Hz, it's extremely dissappointing and these jokes for reviews are helping no one.
post #11695 of 16113

Thanks! It was only the 2nd movie I have watched all the way with my new dual Submersives so that helps me get a handle on a mental analysis of that score. For some reason I wasn't expecting much besides the grenade scene. But it was very nice throughout. Opening with that garbage truck smashing cars and all through.
post #11696 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

He even specifically states "Low frequency extension" is a maxed out, five star rating.

That's why these reviews are a sham. I don't know why anyone reads them.
It's just ridiculous nonsense that anyone could write prior to having actually even viewed the disc. rolleyes.gif



The low frequencies drop like a rock at 30Hz, it's extremely dissappointing and these jokes for reviews are helping no one.

I haven't watched yet but I have to be painfully honest. I don't feel extension dictates rating as much as I see here. As time goes on my opinions can change. 30hz yes is cutting it ridiculously soon buy those that have a 20hz filter I feel is not a huge issue. But like I said, more experience can change that wink.gif
post #11697 of 16113
How do you know that he didn't view the disc? Most of these discs are available before the public date to online magazines, etc and also people in Europe always get them before the US people do
post #11698 of 16113
MOS only goes to 30hz and the levels are low. This will not be a great bass movie. When a reviewer states that it has great extension well maybe he thinks 30hz is great? 5 star bass movies have the levels reach -5 to -10 and does extend deep. A 20hz movie with -5 to -10 would be OK because the levels are loud enough. We are in a thread about bass guys. We want bass!
post #11699 of 16113
detroit1,

Nobody said he didn't view the disc. nfraso said what he quoted could have been written by someone who had not viewed the disc, presumably because it was meaningless fluff verbiage. The line he quoted from the review is something you could say about almost every blockbuster action movie released in the last ten years.

I think it's probably reasonable to assume that every paid reviewer is going to only be able to rate bass content from 30-80Hz, which is not really what a lot of people here are interested in. The reason many aren't interested in that content within that frequency range? It's simply the norm, and is entirely unexceptional. The -10dB point of MoS is actually ~23-24Hz, which is entirely unexceptional.

jlpowell:

Extension doesn't dictate rating - it's equally weighted with levels, dynamics, and execution at data-bass.com. The theory is that louder is not necessarily better, except when coupled with good sound design, deep extension, and superior dynamics.

Instead of extension being overvalued, I personally think execution is weighted too high. The average execution score is around a 4 (guesstimate), but there are lots of movies I'd vote 2 or less on. I tend to think the people voting in the execution polls over there are way way way too generous.
post #11700 of 16113
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

How do you know that he didn't view the disc? Most of these discs are available before the public date to online magazines, etc and also people in Europe always get them before the US people do

I didn't say that, I'm sure he watched it. What I said was all of the superfluous nonsense could have been written months ago in preparation and then published when the timing was right.

I'm not saying this is what happened, I'm saying it could have. So why bother watching it at all? rolleyes.gif

You can't claim something is what it objectively isn't. Say what you want about the surrounds or dynamics and how they made you feel... this film does not have 5-star low frequency extension, that's a fact. The reviewer claims it does.

What I want to know is why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

MOS only goes to 30hz and the levels are low. This will not be a great bass movie. When a reviewer states that it has great extension well maybe he thinks 30hz is great? 5 star bass movies have the levels reach -5 to -10 and does extend deep. A 20hz movie with -5 to -10 would be OK because the levels are loud enough. We are in a thread about bass guys. We want bass!

biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts