or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 417

post #12481 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Where is the math! From my perspective and in my room the MOS and ST were very good and gave me plenty of bass biggrin.gif

Check out the first couple of posts in the ULF thread.
post #12482 of 16185
"Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" arrived on Friday. biggrin.gif

As to what's what with who is blu-ray, check out Amazon. Pretty much, anything recent, is blu-ray.

(i hate page changes)

We purchase used on Amazon. Never a disappointment and always a great price.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 12/15/13 at 4:10pm
post #12483 of 16185
Always enjoy this thread, but sometimes I find myself wondering; who the hell are these people? How far do they live from their neighbors. To put in perspective I have a VSX-1021 the Pioneer bang for the buck Andrew Jones line (c22, fs51, bs21's etc etc) and a BIC F12. If I crank it on Battle ship my house rattles to the street curb and my neighbors would complain if I did that often, my system is like the mixed drink equivalent of a club soda and a wine cooler compared to the gear I read in your posts. Quad S2s?!!! My pie in the sky dream is an Epik Empire....just 1... if I sound jealous, I am. But seriously how far do you live from neighbors? Do you have to check in with any seismic outposts before playing Cloverfield?

In any case gonna rock what I got with my F12 (until I can get that Epik) thank you for the movie reviews. Just watched "5 Day of War" thanks to this thread, not steller LFE but was an excellent film, and it was a review here that sent me after it!

Oh one quick question can anyone tell me if the sound on HD Amazon instant movies is the same as the Blu-Ray counterparts? I.E. am I missing anything by purchasing HD via Amazon instant, vs buying the Blu-Ray? Thanks.
Edited by Sgt_Nick_Fury - 12/15/13 at 4:34pm
post #12484 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Nick_Fury View Post

But seriously how far do you live from neighbors?

I'm no more than 20' from my next door neighbors. My HT room is in the center of the house so I have one room in between the HT room and the outside world. With all the doors and windows closed you can barely hear anything outside unless you are standing next to my house. That's with my system at near reference level. My house was built in the 1950's and has no insulation in the exterior walls. I replaced the windows with double pane energy efficient ones, but only noticed a minor improvement in sound blocking. I have 2x18" and 6x15" sealed subs.
post #12485 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Check out the first couple of posts in the ULF thread.

Could not find it link please
post #12486 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Could not find it link please

Link
post #12487 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Nick_Fury View Post

Always enjoy this thread, but sometimes I find myself wondering; who the hell are these people? How far do they live from their neighbors. To put in perspective I have a VSX-1021 the Pioneer bang for the buck Andrew Jones line (c22, fs51, bs21's etc etc) and a BIC F12. If I crank it on Battle ship my house rattles to the street curb and my neighbors would complain if I did that often, my system is like the mixed drink equivalent of a club soda and a wine cooler compared to the gear I read in your posts. Quad S2s?!!! My pie in the sky dream is an Epik Empire....just 1... if I sound jealous, I am. But seriously how far do you live from neighbors? Do you have to check in with any seismic outposts before playing Cloverfield?

In any case gonna rock what I got with my F12 (until I can get that Epik) thank you for the movie reviews. Just watched "5 Day of War" thanks to this thread, not steller LFE but was an excellent film, and it was a review here that sent me after it!

Oh one quick question can anyone tell me if the sound on HD Amazon instant movies is the same as the Blu-Ray counterparts? I.E. am I missing anything by purchasing HD via Amazon instant, vs buying the Blu-Ray? Thanks.


SCREW! The neighbors! They don't pay for my mortgage. Clean my lawn. Wash my clothes or my ass. Remember.. Live and enjoy the present at any age your at. Before you become old and can't do it. And you say to yourself, damn I wish I did that when I was.... Besides I know my neighbors and they know me that I could give a f^>k! And they haven't complained once!
post #12488 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

SCREW! The neighbors! They don't pay for my mortgage. Clean my lawn. Wash my clothes or my ass. Remember.. Live and enjoy the present at any age your at. Before you become old and can't do it. And you say to yourself, damn I wish I did that when I was.... Besides I know my neighbors and they know me that I could give a f^>k! And they haven't complained once!
+1
post #12489 of 16185
U
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

SCREW! The neighbors! They don't pay for my mortgage. Clean my lawn. Wash my clothes or my ass. Besides I know my neighbors and they know me that I could give a f^>k! And they haven't complained once!

But they do pay city taxes which allows them to call the authorities on you if your movie watching is disturbing the piece at the applicable hours of the day.. If your HT prowess is escaping your walls and penetrating others it's definitely best to know your neighbors and have a good dialog with them to ensure when they dislike or can overlook your volume desires. I know when we are entertaining and I am concerned about pool/patio noise/thumping (18inch sub under covered patio) I ensure those on either side are aware and invited. I can barely hear our HT outside. In the garage a bit but other than that it's fairly insulated - has multiple walls on three sides and a large garage on the other etc. Best thing you can do is invest in noise abatement as your theater prowess grows.

Cheers
post #12490 of 16185
Like I said I know my neighbors. And they know me. And not one complaints.
post #12491 of 16185
Far more seriousness then I intended. In any case I just hope someday to have a system like those and a house to match. My home is not very big and from the outside looks smaller still as much is below ground. Still, I really enjoy rattling it when I can, have a 2 yr old so I have a bass curfew. Anyway just meant to say I am impressed with your systems, and info on movies, thanks again.

Still wondering about sound on HD Amazon instant content vs Blu-Ray though, anyone know?
post #12492 of 16185
If you have a Blu-ray disc, you may have to do your own download and compare as in the case of download music vs CD, there's a noticeable difference in depth and ambiance. Movie soundtracks may not be so demanding so a personal comparison should be in order.
post #12493 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Maybe I knew this already and forgot...

but good lord man, I didn't realize you had these subs on a friggin suspended floor!! IMO a single Cap S2 on a suspended floor would subjectively outgun 4 of them on concrete. Jeezo peeeeezo.... eek.gif

There is no way that you will ever crave more. If you do there is no help for the rest of us.


I have my sub on the second floor of a 3 floor house. What's good about a suspended floor exactly?
post #12494 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Well we watched Pacific Rim tonight. Entertaining movie and I enjoyed it. I certainly believe if you enter into watching a movie leaving the critical mindset behind it will be much more enjoyable. Great slams throughout the movie. My bass was certainly run hot. Yes I can tell the infrasonic was missing and would have been better with the low single digs supporting the hot 30-50hz stuff. I'll go ahead and commit blasphemy and say it was still a great bass movie. I feel the 30-50 stuff is what makes a great bass scene. It's nice to have the infrasonic below and yes it feels incomplete BUT NOT TO THE POINT THAT IT IS UNENJOYABLE! Thats my main point so please don't take out of context. I'm certainly not anti ULF:eek:

Read the WidescreenReview review of the SB13 ultra that's linked on The SVS site. I can't link it here since it's a pdf but the reviewer agrees with you about bass content at 35hz to 60hz.
Edited by saprano - 12/15/13 at 11:11pm
post #12495 of 16185
Nick Fury

Might want to set your sights on a different dream sub. Last I heard, Epik was out of business. I could be wrong but the last time I checked out Epik (which was, admittedly, 6 months ago) the Epik forums here indicated that nobody had heard from the owner in months.

An excellent alternative is the Power Sound Audio XS30. Like the Empire, it is a sealed sub with dual opposed 15" drivers. I am a very satisfied owner of one of these (with dreams of adding a second someday) and I can highly recommend it. Check out the official PSA thread for tons of great info.
Edited by tboe77 - 12/15/13 at 11:36pm
post #12496 of 16185
^^ Or the Rythmik FV15HP or F25.
post #12497 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

I have my sub on the second floor of a 3 floor house. What's good about a suspended floor exactly?

Your sub gets the floor moving and the entire area acts as a massive passive radiator....

Just kidding of course. biggrin.gif
post #12498 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Where is the math! From my perspective and in my room the MOS and ST were very good and gave me plenty of bass biggrin.gif

DisplacementSnapShot_zps6fb46017.jpg

I'll try to figure out how to post up the .xls for you to manipulate.
Edited by popalock - 12/16/13 at 4:58am
post #12499 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

I have my sub on the second floor of a 3 floor house. What's good about a suspended floor exactly?


It makes a huge difference in tactile feel so what ends up happening is that guys like me that have been on suspended floors before and are now on carpet over concrete have to have more powerful subs to try to make up for it.
post #12500 of 16185
I haven't been able to figure this whole suspended floor thingy out. What's up with suspended floors? How much more tactile sensation is added to the experience over that of a concrete floor?

Our whole living room is a suspended, pier/post, wood construction, floor; laminate flooring over felt.

(new subs out for delivery)

What would be the multiplier, concrete vs suspended floor?

-
post #12501 of 16185
^^ your room shakes more on suspended floor than concrete which results in you feel more bass shaking your chairs.
post #12502 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

^^ your room shakes more on suspended floor than concrete which results in you feel more bass shaking your chairs.

Thanks! Any idea how much more?

(sorry about somebody's defense giving the game away in the second half)
post #12503 of 16185
Quite a bit more but I have no mean of measuring.
I was speechless after the game but there is hope: win the last two and we will be the division winner. If that is the case we might be hosting your 49'er in the playoff.
post #12504 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

If that is the case we might be hosting your 49'er in the playoff.

...biggrin.gif
post #12505 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

I was speechless after the game but there is hope: win the last two and we will be the division winner. If that is the case we might be hosting your 49'er in the playoff.

As a Cowboys fan, I hope not. I can't take another meltdown in the playoffs. Shame owners can't be fired.
post #12506 of 16185
^^ I know huh.
post #12507 of 16185
Take a lesson from a late Browns fan and specify in your will to have six Cowboys serve as your pallbearers, so that they can let you down one last time. rolleyes.gif
post #12508 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I haven't been able to figure this whole suspended floor thingy out. What's up with suspended floors? How much more tactile sensation is added to the experience over that of a concrete floor?

Our whole living room is a suspended, pier/post, wood construction, floor; laminate flooring over felt.

(new subs out for delivery)

What would be the multiplier, concrete vs suspended floor?

-

Somewhat construction dependent but suffice to say the tactile experience of a suspended wood floor vs slab is huge. eek.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

Quite a bit more but I have no mean of measuring.
I was speechless after the game but there is hope: win the last two and we will be the division winner. If that is the case we might be hosting your 49'er in the playoff.

Yes, please ... tongue.gif
post #12509 of 16185
^^Percy Jackson has been on the 5 stars list.
post #12510 of 16185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Nick_Fury View Post

Still wondering about sound on HD Amazon instant content vs Blu-Ray though, anyone know?

I'm totally guessing here as I cannot stream any content with my ISP but I doubt HD Amazon ISN"T down-rezzed in the audio dept. and for sure has to be on the video side just like Netflix. There can't be enough availalbe bandwidth IMO for that not to be the case.

We've started renting BD after bringing out HT up to date this year. Thankfully we have a Family video close by with an outstanding selection.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts