or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 423

post #12661 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

I
i am not talking about calibrating. I am talking about bumping up the lfe level for specific movies. From what I can tell lots if people in here use an spl meter including myself
Bumping it up a little I understand that. Just saying when I read the posts on how to setup for better bass its all over the board. And some of it is very wrong.
post #12662 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post

Will guys will hate me for this but I actually like the OVERALL audio of man of steel better.

the only thing that sucks about man of steel IMO is everything under 80hz or so quality wise plus the lack of ULF.

I do like how man of steel gave a good movie theter like soumnd though imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

I totally agree with you! But this forum is for LFE not overall sound quality.

Late to the party on MOS but Netflix gets it a month later. What a fun 7 channel mix. The score was amazing through the surrounds and the back channels were really active. Loved it!

Then big stuff started happening on screen but no ulf in my room. eek.gif

The amp for my IB is in the back wave, triggered remotely, and sometimes I think I tuned it on and did not. So I am sitting there wondering if the subs are even working? This is never good. smile.gif

My wife hates when I get up to check the subs so just sat and w a t c h e d t h e m o v i e. tongue.gif Eventually, I could slightly tell the subs were on, but a lot of ulf opportunities missed and the audio did not match what was going on the screen. Where is Randy Thom when you need him? smile.gif
post #12663 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

...confused.gif

What about if one is using two or three subs and the AVR has been set to measurements made on three subs in operation as opposed to a single subwoofer?

If you're using DRC and multiple subs and bump or lower the subs in the AVR, especially if you went through the trouble to level matched the subs, messing around with the gain on the subs is fine if you have a digital read out of the calibrated level. If not your back to square one when its time to return them to said calibrated level. This is why its recommended to not touch the subs gain control once the calibration has been run as with the analog gain control, getting it exactly back is not so easily done.

So simple solution is to adjust the bass in the AVR or Pre wink.gif
post #12664 of 16210
All of this discussion has been covered a million times on these forums. Go back to basics and this site has all the info you will ever need.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/824554/setting-up-your-home-theater-101
post #12665 of 16210
Watched Sea of Monsters today. Didn't hate the bass. Not like the first though, there were some moments, like the bull scene and the ending scene. I did have the subs 6db hot for this one

Bossobass, how did you capture those graphs? I would love to try something like that. Can REW do any graphing of a scene like this?

Edit: just watched the trailer on the blu ray and it seems to have more deep bass - I will graph it if I can.
Edited by raynist - 12/22/13 at 7:05pm
post #12666 of 16210
Can someone please confirm that the standard DVD version of Blsckhawk Down would probably not make the list?

I'm watching a movie for the first time with my PSA XV15 ....running 3db hot from Audyssey and the bass in the movie was very lacking.

I came back to this list to make sure i wasn't dreaming that i saw Blackhawk down on here...but now i noticed it states "bluray PCM track".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
post #12667 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJames03 View Post

Can someone please confirm that the standard DVD version of Blsckhawk Down would probably not make the list?

I'm watching a movie for the first time with my PSA XV15 ....running 3db hot from Audyssey and the bass in the movie was very lacking.

I came back to this list to make sure i wasn't dreaming that i saw Blackhawk down on here...but now i noticed it states "bluray PCM track".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

The dvd should very much be like the BD as it was pretty much the catalyst for threads like this about a decade ago now.

I couldn't find the particular thread but I found this. Brings back some memories! eek.gif

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/129424-frequency-waterfall-charts-of-a-few-familiar-favourites/?hl=waterfall

Good lord I said this in 2006 and I know I was thinking of it even earlier.
Quote:
Yeah...there are moments in some movies where <20hz material is from the main channels and not the LFE. One of the reasons Im gonna use the same sub if I ever go the dedicated LFE/main subs route.

Which I would love to do. Wish more receivers had outputs for bass channels other than the LFE.

cool.gifbiggrin.gif
post #12668 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Watched Sea of Monsters today. Didn't hate the bass. Not like the first though, there were some moments, like the bull scene and the ending scene. I did have the subs 6db hot for this one

Bossobass, how did you capture those graphs? I would love to try something like that. Can REW do any graphing of a scene like this?

Edit: just watched the trailer on the blu ray and it seems to have more deep bass - I will graph it if I can.

raynist.. I know one will need some kind of program. But anyway read post #10954 on how its done..
post #12669 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

The dvd should very much be like the BD as it was pretty much the catalyst for threads like this about a decade ago now.

I couldn't find the particular thread but I found this. Brings back some memories! eek.gif

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/129424-frequency-waterfall-charts-of-a-few-familiar-favourites/?hl=waterfall

Good lord I said this in 2006 and I know I was thinking of it even earlier.
cool.gifbiggrin.gif

Crap! I guess I need to go back and listen specifically at the F'kin Irene scene.

It's odd - because Inception Blu-Ray sounded pretty awesome, like it belonged on the list.

Anyway, thanks for the reply!
post #12670 of 16210
Finally got around to watching WWZ in full (not just grenade scene). Movie okay but the use of bass throughout this movie was excellent I thought with a couple of legendary sweeps (grenade 1hr/helicopter crash not long after).
post #12671 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJames03 View Post

Can someone please confirm that the standard DVD version of Blsckhawk Down would probably not make the list?

I'm watching a movie for the first time with my PSA XV15 ....running 3db hot from Audyssey and the bass in the movie was very lacking.

I came back to this list to make sure i wasn't dreaming that i saw Blackhawk down on here...but now i noticed it states "bluray PCM track".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
You will not notice any bass in BHD Irene scene with your XV15 (no offense intended) as that scene goes down to 5 or 7hz or even lower, I don't remember. My dual FV15hps don't do any thing with that scene. I listened to that scene at four other different places and barely feel any thing. One place was with dual Captivators, another place with eight seal SI 18"s and another place with three Triaxes. I guest it takes more than those to feel that Irene scene frown.gif
post #12672 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post

Finally got around to watching WWZ in full (not just grenade scene). Movie okay but the use of bass throughout this movie was excellent I thought with a couple of legendary sweeps (grenade 1hr/helicopter crash not long after).

Yes I agree. Very excellent throughout. The garbage truck in the beginning and everywhere. I entered into watching it thinking it only had the one grenade scene but was nicely surprised.
post #12673 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

You will not notice any bass in BHD Irene scene with your XV15 (no offense intended) as that scene goes down to 5 or 7hz or even lower, I don't remember. My dual FV15hps don't do any thing with that scene. I listened to that scene at four other different places and barely feel any thing. One place was with dual Captivators, another place with eight seal SI 18"s and another place with three Triaxes. I guest it takes more than those to feel that Irene scene frown.gif

No offense taken! Thank you for the reply, it makes me feel better about the setup.

I just popped in war of the worlds (emergence scene) and this is what i was expecting out of my XV15. Finally got the wife to say "okay, that's too much"

smile.gif
post #12674 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJames03 View Post

Finally got the wife to say "okay, that's too much" smile.gif

Mission accomplished!!

biggrin.gif
post #12675 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

You will not notice any bass in BHD Irene scene with your XV15 (no offense intended) as that scene goes down to 5 or 7hz or even lower, I don't remember. My dual FV15hps don't do any thing with that scene. I listened to that scene at four other different places and barely feel any thing. One place was with dual Captivators, another place with eight seal SI 18"s and another place with three Triaxes. I guest it takes more than those to feel that Irene scene frown.gif

So Popalock's the only guy who gets this scene?
post #12676 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

You will not notice any bass in BHD Irene scene with your XV15 (no offense intended) as that scene goes down to 5 or 7hz or even lower, I don't remember. My dual FV15hps don't do any thing with that scene. I listened to that scene at four other different places and barely feel any thing. One place was with dual Captivators, another place with eight seal SI 18"s and another place with three Triaxes. I guest it takes more than those to feel that Irene scene frown.gif

So Popalock's the only guy who gets this scene?

Guys with this I believe have reported very good results with the Irene scene http://www.rotarywoofer.com/
post #12677 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post

So Popalock's the only guy who gets this scene?
^^ As far as I know with 16 SI18"'s in a room about my size (~2600ft^3). Can't wait till work send me to close by him so I can check out that Irene scene at his place.
post #12678 of 16210
Watching Sunshine at -18 MV (1AM here). It has lots of good loud bass that digs low even at -18 volume. Any graph on this one?
Edited by Cowboys - 12/23/13 at 11:16pm
post #12679 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

You will not notice any bass in BHD Irene scene with your XV15 (no offense intended) as that scene goes down to 5 or 7hz or even lower, I don't remember. My dual FV15hps don't do any thing with that scene. I listened to that scene at four other different places and barely feel any thing. One place was with dual Captivators, another place with eight seal SI 18"s and another place with three Triaxes. I guest it takes more than those to feel that Irene scene frown.gif

The bass in the BHD Irene scene is felt rather than heard. It's like gentle pulses.

You're more likely to feel it if the sub(s) are nearfield. Previously I didn't get much out of the Irene scene and wondered what the fuss was about. Later on with a sub placed nearfield, I could then feel the pulses. It's not very strong (nor really impressive) but at least now I can perceive it.
post #12680 of 16210
^tabks for the practical explanation of what most of us aren't missing biggrin.gif
post #12681 of 16210
District 9 was the same way, in my opinion both it and Elysium were very weak with audio effects at my normal listening level. I turned it up a bit, which on any other movie would destroy my ears and it sounded fine. The bass however even at my normal volume was interesting. It wasn't very loud but I could feel it pulsing deeper and deeper in several scenes( I am just gonna leave that sentence alone) particularly at the end around 1hr 39 min.

Oops, in response to Toe post 12566
post #12682 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post

So Popalock's the only guy who gets this scene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

^^ As far as I know with 16 SI18"'s in a room about my size (~2600ft^3). Can't wait till work send me to close by him so I can check out that Irene scene at his place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchong View Post

The bass in the BHD Irene scene is felt rather than heard. It's like gentle pulses.

You're more likely to feel it if the sub(s) are nearfield. Previously I didn't get much out of the Irene scene and wondered what the fuss was about. Later on with a sub placed nearfield, I could then feel the pulses. It's not very strong (nor really impressive) but at least now I can perceive it.

IRENE is definitely one of my favorite scenes.

While I can promise you some "tactical" feeling in my room, and maybe even a bit of clothes flapping, it's no where near overwhelming. Everyone that has demo'ed IRENE on my system has reportedly enjoyed it, but the general consensus seemed to be that they wouldn't mind a bit more output down in that area.

Digging down that deep and achieving output worth even mentioning is a HUGE task.

Adding a riser for my seating, coupling it to my near field subs and adding more displacement may go a bit further to adding to the fun factor, but to be quite honest, I'm not sure what (if anything) it would take to really satisfy my single digit output itch.

I love infrasound, but chasing single digits just isn't really practical for most people in the grand scheme of things...
post #12683 of 16210
As I've posted many times, the only way to know if you're really getting infra-scenes is SpecLab and a measurement rig that flat (or properly calibrated flat) to below 5 Hz.

Compare the digital version to the same scene captured by mic'ing from the LP:



It does not matter how many of what subwoofer you have, it matters if your signal chain is delivering the information to them. Nothing in, nothing out.

Besides 'seeing' if you're getting it, Irene is made up of odd-order increments of a 6.15 Hz fundamental, so you can easily see and calculate the even order harmonic distortion from your system fairly accurately.

I generated the above graph by mic'ing dual Ravens (4 x 15"), co-located in the front right corner of my HT (3500 cubes), proving that dozens of drivers is not the main requirement.

I hope all of you very cool folks have a great couple of weeks... you deserve it. cool.gif
post #12684 of 16210
Anyone watched Getaway?
post #12685 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Anyone watched Getaway?

The trailer makes it look like an excellent action flix.

From Amazon, Just ordered BHD and Act of Valor. As a reminder, we now have "Getaway" in our shopping cart.
post #12686 of 16210
I reserved Blu ray at red box so we will see
post #12687 of 16210
I like to buy used on Amazon as that way, I don't have to deal with pickup and return hassles and we have them for when guests stop by. Red Box looks like a lot of work.

What kind of sound quality can one expect from streaming services? I'm looking to add a Denon DBT-3313 UDCI to the Home Theater system?

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 12/24/13 at 9:38am
post #12688 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

As I've posted many times, the only way to know if you're really getting infra-scenes is SpecLab and a measurement rig that flat (or properly calibrated flat) to below 5 Hz.

Compare the digital version to the same scene captured by mic'ing from the LP:



It does not matter how many of what subwoofer you have, it matters if your signal chain is delivering the information to them. Nothing in, nothing out.

Besides 'seeing' if you're getting it, Irene is made up of odd-order increments of a 6.15 Hz fundamental, so you can easily see and calculate the even order harmonic distortion from your system fairly accurately.

I generated the above graph by mic'ing dual Ravens (4 x 15"), co-located in the front right corner of my HT (3500 cubes), proving that dozens of drivers is not the main requirement.

I hope all of you very cool folks have a great couple of weeks... you deserve it. cool.gif

BossoBass.. I guess it means from the player, to the AVR, Sub EQ, and of course subs? Like if one of those in the chain not capable of say 5 hz. Then it doesn't matter if the rest is capable. Because that incapable one is choking the 5 hz?
post #12689 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niroe64 View Post

District 9 was the same way, in my opinion both it and Elysium were very weak with audio effects at my normal listening level. I turned it up a bit, which on any other movie would destroy my ears and it sounded fine. The bass however even at my normal volume was interesting. It wasn't very loud but I could feel it pulsing deeper and deeper in several scenes( I am just gonna leave that sentence alone) particularly at the end around 1hr 39 min.

Oops, in response to Toe post 12566
I watched Elysium last night at -10 and sub 4db hot and I got a back massage for much of the movie. Must be mostly infrasonic because I couldn't hear much just feel it.
post #12690 of 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I like to buy used on Amazon as that way, I don't have to deal with pickup and return hassles and we have them for when guests stop by. Red Box looks like a lot of work.

What kind of sound quality can one expect from streaming services? I'm looking to add a Denon DBT-3313 UDCI to the Home Theater system?

-
The best sound I have found from all the streaming services is VUDU IMO. The picture quality is also near bluray.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts