or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 492

post #14731 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Hmm I thought about ordering that but never really got into the original one

I'm a Stephen King nut. I've read a lot of his earlier books while in the Navy. Now, I collect the movies of his work.
post #14732 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

it takes high spl in that range (110db+) to get the proper impact

...biggrin.gif, it only took 106dB to knock our parrot off his perch. tongue.gif
post #14733 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharris7 View Post

Just watched enders game. Awesome LFE! I only have one sub (pc13) but man, I think after that movie I am reconsidering my thoughts of buying another one for duals. One seems to be plenty

Ya it really is amazing!

Instantly became demo worthy in my collection!
post #14734 of 16105

geez get home from work and i all this fighting. i just wanted to know what gains u guys have your subs set to. sorry for asking. anyway i saw the wolverine this past weekend great lfe and great movie to boot. here hoping days of future past can keep the xmen movement going with 2 great x titles under their belt. first class was awesome. also saw skyfall as well great audio in that one. i keep on seeing complaints about thor 2 being filtered as the first thor but i thought that movie sounded great. what does unfiltered mean exactly and how much better would a movie soundtrack be if it was unfiltered? looking forward to that and gravity 3d being released next week

post #14735 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger View Post

what does unfiltered mean exactly and how much better would a movie soundtrack be if it was unfiltered?

My understanding, more dynamic range and it plays louder for a given volume setting.

-
post #14736 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Right now, I only have one PC13-Ultra. Number 2 is coming this fall!

You must have a huge room!
post #14737 of 16105

cool thanks beeman

post #14738 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger View Post

cool thanks beeman

...biggrin.gif
post #14739 of 16105
My sub amp is on -3 my avr is set to +3.5
post #14740 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger View Post

geez get home from work and i all this fighting. i just wanted to know what gains u guys have your subs set to. sorry for asking. anyway i saw the wolverine this past weekend great lfe and great movie to boot. here hoping days of future past can keep the xmen movement going with 2 great x titles under their belt. first class was awesome. also saw skyfall as well great audio in that one. i keep on seeing complaints about thor 2 being filtered as the first thor but i thought that movie sounded great. what does unfiltered mean exactly and how much better would a movie soundtrack be if it was unfiltered? looking forward to that and gravity 3d being released next week

The gain on my sub is at 0db and my OPPO is set at +5.0db.

Some movies have been filtered at 20 or 30Hz. You can see that in the graphs that are posted here. An unfiltered soundtrack goes well into the single digits. Not many people have subs that can go that low. Hence, they neuter or filter the low end.
post #14741 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharris7 View Post

You must have a huge room!

I actually have 2 rooms connected to each other: a dining room (where the subs will go) and a living room set in an "L" pattern.
post #14742 of 16105
Do you have your amp on auto or on?
post #14743 of 16105
I believe that is uncompressed. Unfiltered would be like m &c and its 30 hz hpf
post #14744 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharris7 View Post

Do you have your amp on auto or on?

I use a pro amp so I just leave it on.
post #14745 of 16105
My sub is -6 (around the 9 or 10 O clock position) and the Pre/pro is at -6.5db .
post #14746 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

My understanding, more dynamic range and it plays louder for a given volume setting.

-

You understand part of it apparently. smile.gif
post #14747 of 16105
Really enjoyed Ender's Game. The bass really gave my XS30 a workout! biggrin.gif

I also thought it was a better movie than a lot gave it credit for. To have all of the depth, detail, and emotion of the book would have required a 6 hour movie. For a 2 hour adaptation, it hit nearly all of the most important pieces.
post #14748 of 16105
I have a question regarding the Monument scene from OHF. This was being discussed a few pages back, before the last batch of crazy came off the assembly line.

I am among those who found that scene underwhelming. But there are plenty of other scenes that make me feel like my sub is about to tear my house apart (like WWZ grenade, as well as several scenes from Ender's Game). However, when I checked out the monument scene, I did so on Netflix (streaming). It was in DD. Has anyone compared this to the blu-ray? I know it is lossy vs lossless, but is the extension still there?
post #14749 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

Really enjoyed Ender's Game. The bass really gave my XS30 a workout! biggrin.gif

I also thought it was a better movie than a lot gave it credit for. To have all of the depth, detail, and emotion of the book would have required a 6 hour movie. For a 2 hour adaptation, it hit nearly all of the most important pieces.

Looks like Hollywood is doing the opposite case in point the hobbit lol
post #14750 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

Guys, let move on and talk BASS. The new Bullet with Danny Trejo tonight for me. Movies with him recently had ton of bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

I look forward to your comments on this one...
Thanks

Two words: BASS SWEEPS

I am revisiting Elysium dtaMA7.1 mkv ripped at -5 MV with 3dbs subs hot and what a treat it is. Great bass extension and very dynamic sound track all around this time smile.gif. Not sure what happened last time I watched- must not have it cranked up. Really enjoy the movie itself too.
Edited by tvuong - 2/18/14 at 10:53pm
post #14751 of 16105
Wow, this used to be one of my favorite threads now it is just 💩

Might have to unsubscribe frown.gif
post #14752 of 16105

Just finished Gravity 2D. Great surround mix with lots of bass. It reminded me  All is Lost.I didn't see it in theaters ,so I didn't know what  to expect.Very pleased with the LFE and dynamics.IMHO this one and AIL are the best overall mixes this year so far.

"was a mkv rip with DTS-Master 5.1"

post #14753 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Congrats; you've won a roll of tin foil. cool.gif

post #14754 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

I have a question regarding the Monument scene from OHF. This was being discussed a few pages back, before the last batch of crazy came off the assembly line.

I am among those who found that scene underwhelming. But there are plenty of other scenes that make me feel like my sub is about to tear my house apart (like WWZ grenade, as well as several scenes from Ender's Game). However, when I checked out the monument scene, I did so on Netflix (streaming). It was in DD. Has anyone compared this to the blu-ray? I know it is lossy vs lossless, but is the extension still there?

With my Captivators I miss below around 17Hz (port tune) but the OHF Washington Monument scene hits really, really hard. I would rate that scene and the WWZ grenade scene (about 1 hr mark) as two of the most demanding and impressive scenes to demo on my system. With the WWZ scene its an increasing shudder of the walls/house as the frequency decreases during the sweep. The OHF Washington Monument scene is more of a progressive rumble which rolls on and on until the top of the Citadel slams into the ground. Nice. Not sure of the frequency range but I would have to rate the Percy Jackson (LT) hydra scene as being right in the sweet spot for my system as the output is incredible, Tron Legacy right after Sam gets Lasered on to the grid and the ship coming down is also incredible the whole house feels like it might collapse. I can't play any of these scenes with any authority when the wife is in.
post #14755 of 16105
My Netflix movies don't have the same impact as the Bluray on my system. WWZ and OHF both have some good LFE. On my system the plane crash scene from The Grey is my #1 demo scene. It beats out Oblivion, WOTW, Cloverfield, and FOTP and all the rest for me. I know it is not a go to movie for many but, maybe my room has the right resonance factor to set it off.
post #14756 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

I actually have 2 rooms connected to each other: a dining room (where the subs will go) and a living room set in an "L" pattern.


is your display in the living room...?

i've often wondered about subs in a different room from the tv (or screen)...

mine are in the same room, but MANY times i've been in the adjoining room and had very cool bass experiences...
post #14757 of 16105
Watched Elysium again last night w subs bumped up 3db and whoa. There it is. Incredible bass!!

But yes I agree the gun sounds are wimpy lol

But that triple air gun shot is insane!!
post #14758 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Wow, this used to be one of my favorite threads now it is just 💩

Might have to unsubscribe frown.gif

Rather than unsubscribe, is there any content you can add to pick it up?
post #14759 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

As Toe just pointed out, that does help the comparison. Thanks, man! I try to keep the PvA graphs the exact same size every time for just such comparisons.

Toe,

It's those 30-40Hz frequencies that make the chair and walls vibrate/rattle. They are really impressive feeling. That's part of why everyone prefers them. But, people also prefer loud, and Elysium is an average of 6dB lower level than Ender's Game. That, right there, is like having half the subwoofer output on Elysium compared to Ender's Game, regardless of the rest of the PvA comparison.

In other words, Ender's Game essentially sounds twice as loud overall as Elysium, when played back at the same level on the same system. That's a huge difference, and no wonder why so many people love it. But, this is also the place where you can change it by using your remote. wink.gif

There is one big difference between the two besides level and extension, though - Ender's Game has a lot of clipping in the mix, whereas Elysium has essentially none.

I watched both Ender's and Elysium last night, back to back. I did notice that I Elysium seemed quieter than most movies and I ended up watching it at -6. I agree that there wasn't much for staggering bass scenes but I did notice, especially towards the beginning of the movie, that there was multiple subtle "bass drops" going on to help build the tension. Overall, I liked the movie a lot. I can't believe how talented Sharlto Copley is for pulling off such completely different characters between this and District 9. I didn't even recognize him for most of the movie!

I watched Ender second and also enjoyed it. It had great bass for sure! I was already on the lookout for the shuttle launch scene that was posted on here but I didn't realize that.... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
there was two launches in it! Both launches were ridiculous in my room but the one at 1:05, holy crapp!! eek.gif! I watched it 3 or 4 times. Awesome.
post #14760 of 16105
Yes the second part if your post was definitely more potent than the first
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts