or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 499

post #14941 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post



post #14942 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Yes Toe, identical and that is the point. I happened to read up on the Ps3 forum and it's linear pcm sends much more 7.1 options so I will use it because I have always used bitstream like many thinking the processor decoding was better.

Hi MK, what extra 7.1 options are available via linear pcm?
post #14943 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post


He was real!😳
post #14944 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

I thought Getaway had great low bass, but then someone around here said that Getaway wouldn't be something to recommend due to the poor SQ since the bass is exaggerated. Is that what most look for in movies? I would understand if the detail was hidden underneath all the bass, but I didn't find that to be the case.

The effect here is a matter of intent and that was done well ! The final scene will place you in a very nice crafted sound field with awesome effects :cool. If you're properly set up with a balanced system you should be fine and like it , bass and all smile.gif
post #14945 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Now, with certainty, I know what the limits of our system is.

-

Until do do incrementally louder sweeps and observe when compression sets in, you don't really know. Also, quoting 11hz with that graph does not seem totally accurate. Still, point remains, without any measurements, you really don't know whats up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Not sure what people are talking about in Gravity. While the lossless Blu-ray mix is OK, and maybe even crafted and/or used appropriately, it's not a very good bass movie.

It had some decent bass and my transducers sure got a work out. Granted, I run on the hot side, but I was still surprised.
post #14946 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

If I had to describe AiL as far as how it compared to Kon Tiki and Captain Phillips going off memory of the three, I would say AiL combines the best of the other two. AiL has that awesome near constant deep lower level supportive type LFE of CP in the main boat scenes and also has the louder more in your face and intense type LFE of Kon Tiki in the storm scene. Throw in a few prolonged VERY intense LFE moments (similar to OHF WM scene) and AiL has it all from an LFE perspective IMO. There are some slower stretches in AiL where not much happens LFE wise, but all things considered, it's loaded pretty good I thought. Throw in amazing surround work, and I would put it up top of the three overall for bass/audio. I love all three of these films though for LFE/audio.

You just earned yourself an award, you nailed it and you wouldn't have been out of line to embellish a bit more ! I found the mix amazing as well from drizzle ,creeks to down right monsoon down pour ! The sounds effects were beyond real and I now must read up on the discussion regarding the mix. Now the ELF , it was perfect in pitch, weight and slam and here again no sub bump needed to convey the impact and room pressurization. Is it 5 stars? yes beyond a doubt and big shout out to the superb Thunder in the mix cool.gif

One more down and its only Feb ! Bass year in the making all" the year we feel contact " wink.gif
post #14947 of 16127
Watched Enders Game last night. I thought the mix was pretty good...it did have some awesome bass scenes! Especially when they shoot the Alien planet. Overall movie was ok not great. I would rate 4 star.
post #14948 of 16127
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

fan made poster - I like it
post #14949 of 16127
^^^
cool poster...

I just hope the movie is as well done...
post #14950 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Yes Toe, identical and that is the point. I happened to read up on the Ps3 forum and it's linear pcm sends much more 7.1 options so I will use it because I have always used bitstream like many thinking the processor decoding was better.
A lot of people confuse decoding with processing. Not implying that you are. Bluray players don't even have processors just decoders.
post #14951 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

You just earned yourself an award, you nailed it and you wouldn't have been out of line to embellish a bit more ! I found the mix amazing as well from drizzle ,creeks to down right monsoon down pour ! The sounds effects were beyond real and I now must read up on the discussion regarding the mix. Now the ELF , it was perfect in pitch, weight and slam and here again no sub bump needed to convey the impact and room pressurization. Is it 5 stars? yes beyond a doubt and big shout out to the superb Thunder in the mix cool.gif

One more down and its only Feb ! Bass year in the making all" the year we feel contact " wink.gif


Nice! cool.gif Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!


GPBURNS,

Good call on HALO! The last ~30 minutes were fantastic! eek.gif Tons of fun deep and hard hitting bass! Good thing I wore that diaper! tongue.gif

Nice Godzilla poster!
post #14952 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Nice! cool.gif Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!


GPBURNS,

Good call on HALO! The last ~30 minutes were fantastic! eek.gif Tons of fun deep and hard hitting bass! Good thing I wore that diaper! tongue.gif

Nice Godzilla poster!

💩
post #14953 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Nice! cool.gif Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!


GPBURNS,

Good call on HALO! The last ~30 minutes were fantastic! eek.gif Tons of fun deep and hard hitting bass! Good thing I wore that diaper! tongue.gif

Nice Godzilla poster!

fun one for sure
I see The Grandmaster finally gets a North American release next week
I had viewed the import a while back - great hard hitting track
thou I notice the movie length is much shorter on this release - hoping don't mess with mix
post #14954 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

fun one for sure
I see The Grandmaster finally gets a North American release next week
I had viewed the import a while back - great hard hitting track
thou I notice the movie length is much shorter on this release - hoping don't mess with mix

Thanks for the heads up been waiting for this smile.gif

did you happen to see "Man of Tai Chi" if so any thoughts?
post #14955 of 16127
I'll have to measure the US release of The Grandmaster; I had already done the Chinese/rest of world release a few months ago. Long story short: pretty great bass, pretty bad kung fu, even worse directing, and slightly below average movie overall.

I also measured Man of Tai Chi - it's a snoozefest. From good ol' "Whoa dood's" acting, to the terrible plot, to the even worse 40Hz filtration, it's not worth watching. But you'd know that if you checked Data-Bass.com forums. smile.gif Those are 100% reliable, apples-to-apples measurements, in case you didn't know! smile.gif You have to login to see the graphs; you're really missing out if you only read the notes.
post #14956 of 16127
Ole Godzilla is in for a rude awakening this time around. Since he's been away, we had a few little things called Yaegers show up.biggrin.gif

Gipsy Danger > Godzilla any day of the week.
post #14957 of 16127
Watched Rush last night and was blown away by it's huge dynamics and sound stage. It had a couple of intense LFE moments but nothing like some of the majors mentioned time and again here. Surround activity was constant and the panning from front to back was well done. A very loud recorded track (reminded me of Super Speedway) as I had to have the D2v at -20 rather than -17 for most of my movie watching PQ was brilliant as well. Loved it.
post #14958 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Thanks for the heads up been waiting for this smile.gif

did you happen to see "Man of Tai Chi" if so any thoughts?
Man of Tai Chi is horrible, nothing to see there... If you like your kung fu with a good story, I recommend you check out "Saving General Yang" smile.gif not only is the story good, the kung fu is a solid 7, the acting is pretty good and it's well directed (for a kung fu movie) it's well made. There's not a lot of bass but there is enough to make it enjoyable.
post #14959 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNo10 View Post

Watched Rush last night and was blown away by it's huge dynamics and sound stage. It had a couple of intense LFE moments but nothing like some of the majors mentioned time and again here. Surround activity was constant and the panning from front to back was well done. A very loud recorded track (reminded me of Super Speedway) as I had to have the D2v at -20 rather than -17 for most of my movie watching PQ was brilliant as well. Loved it.


Watched this one last night also. Watched it in the living area instead of the HT. there I only have a Polk sound at and 8" sub but I could hear a lot of lows. The movie itself wasn't that great. The writers kept playing with the audience's emotions....throwing them from one character to the other. The cars did sounds great but I don't know if they concentrated on the racing as much as they should have.
post #14960 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Just saying, lesser subs don't have much output below 20Hz and unless one has taken the time to measure and dial in their sub's output to max capability it's quite possible for the subs to be rolling off early or they have unmeasured, undisclosed dips and/or nulls causing suckouts at the desirable low frequencies. Much of the lower bass action is below audibility and is tactile in nature and then the home theater owner needs a boatload of energy to make this tactile energy's presents, known.

Here we go again, people saying they don't know with certainty what their subwoofer system is outputting yet some here are branding me a criminal for mentioning the benefit of using room measuring gear like a freeware copy of REW.

The reason I know what our system will do with certainty in the lower frequencies is because I took the time to download and get a freeware copy of REW up and running.

Now, with certainty, I know what the limits of our system is.





Please, to those who want to know, lose the prejudicial bias against room measuring gear, get the gear up and running, see how the acoustics of your room are interacting with your subwoofer system and fix those peaks, dips and null for improved/better sound quality.

(all detractors will be ignored as being off topic comments)

-


Hey bee, I see your measurements go as high as 91 dbc to 11 hertz but have you done any 115db sweeps id love to see your systems limits as im looking to add a second sub myself
post #14961 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtallguy View Post

Hey bee, I see your measurements go as high as 91 dbc to 11 hertz but have you done any 115db sweeps id love to see your systems limits as im looking to add a second sub myself

Be careful doing 115 db sweeps or you may be without a working sub, he he.
post #14962 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Thanks for the heads up been waiting for this smile.gif

did you happen to see "Man of Tai Chi" if so any thoughts?

yeah - cant remember anything really standing out

Watched 2 solid tracks today thou

Hansel and Gretel – Witch Hunters
5.1 TrueHD
Really liked the audio on this one
Overall quality was superb – fidelity top notch
Favorite kind of track – aggressive well designed surround
mixed with quick punchy bass with nice weight – quick decay
Excellent

Act Of Valor
5.1 DTS-HD MA
Solid action flick with lots of well recorded gun fire and explosions
Not as refined as H & G but decent track
post #14963 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

Man of Tai Chi is horrible, nothing to see there... If you like your kung fu with a good story, I recommend you check out "Saving General Yang" smile.gif not only is the story good, the kung fu is a solid 7, the acting is pretty good and it's well directed (for a kung fu movie) it's well made. There's not a lot of bass but there is enough to make it enjoyable.

Good one for sure

Another one I need go back and revisit is the extended version of
Red Cliff – remember being really impressed when I watched that one few years back
post #14964 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

I'll have to measure the US release of The Grandmaster; I had already done the Chinese/rest of world release a few months ago. Long story short: pretty great bass, pretty bad kung fu, even worse directing, and slightly below average movie overall.

I also measured Man of Tai Chi - it's a snoozefest. From good ol' "Whoa dood's" acting, to the terrible plot, to the even worse 40Hz filtration, it's not worth watching. But you'd know that if you checked Data-Bass.com forums. smile.gif Those are 100% reliable, apples-to-apples measurements, in case you didn't know! smile.gif You have to login to see the graphs; you're really missing out if you only read the notes.

I kinda keep forgetting I signed up 2 weeks ago (age thing I guess smile.gif) and have done my due diligence and voted as well on the one's I've seen. Thanks for the reminder of that access I have to the graphs wink.gif
post #14965 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Ole Godzilla is in for a rude awakening this time around. Since he's been away, we had a few little things called Yaegers show up.biggrin.gif

Gipsy Danger > Godzilla any day of the week.

I wouldn't go that far.

This might have had something to do with my expectations, but Pacific Rim was probably my biggest personal disappointment of 2013. Despite so much fanfare, China's and Russia's Jaegers got taken out in one fight, the underwater sequence at the end wasn't anything to write home about, and the opening battle was a bit short.

Granted, it was better than what Michael Bay has been doing over the last seven or so years, but that said, I don't think Godzilla has anything to worry about.
post #14966 of 16127
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Actually just finished watching Escape Plan. Nothing really memorable on the LFE side but I thought it was a fun film to watch!

It had quite a few moments of ELF that produced some nice strong underpinnings with constant room pressurization coupled with some very good 25-30hz stuff. and besides that it a few good isolated gun blast. Truth be told it was a pretty decent movie. As you can tell I liked it smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey.joe80 View Post

What a great year for bass movies this is turning out to be. smile.gif
Enders Game, All is Lost, Escape Plan were all very good.
All is Lost was like Captain Philips on crack! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
That Tanker scene
was great.
Were gonna need someone to make a new demo disc soon!

Yep! add " Escape Plan" to my 2014 bass year and counting list cool.gif
post #14967 of 16127
Just finished watching Gravity in Blu-ray which had a lot of rumbles in the suspenseful moments but no good bass came out of it. Still enjoy the movie with nice surround mix.
post #14968 of 16127
I went ahead and watched the first "Thor" tonight in anticipation of my blind buy for "Thor The Dark World". Well I have to admit I hadn't watched it on my new gear and came away appreciating the killer slam and impact! and I do mean down right dynamic strong content that if pushed a bit more it would clip but it didn't. I'm glad I went back for seconds on this as the 4star rated bass hear is some solid 20hz stuff that's for real, all I can say is wow! biggrin.gif
post #14969 of 16127
Prisoners is one I saw reasonably recently that took me by surprise

not much action "LFE" so to speak - but throughout the film - there is a foreboding score - which has organ in it - which gave my SVS quite a workout - subtle but no less impress deep deep bass
post #14970 of 16127
revisited The Warrior's Way
5.1 DTS-HD MA

forgot what a beast this one is
Top Tier audio in every respect
spectacular surround work
bass hits hard and deep
couple years old but a gem
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts