or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 176

post #5251 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

Well I guess this is a bass thread but overall I find it a stellar demo scene and it sounds incredible on my system.

Seriously! Maybe my beer-budget HT, playing the Super 8 train scene, only seems amazing to me because I haven't listened to any really serious systems playing Pulse. What am I missing? --No, best to leave it alone. This way madness lies.
post #5252 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

Seriously! Maybe my beer-budget HT, playing the Super 8 train scene, only seems amazing to me because I haven't listened to any really serious systems playing Pulse. What am I missing? --No, best to leave it alone. This way madness lies.

Let me help. If you think you need a new pair of subwoofers, then you do.

Did that help?

.....tongue.gif
post #5253 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post

Just did the train wreck at reference on super 8. Onkyo 3009, L/r polk audio monitor 70's, monitor 60's for wides, cs2 and hsu 2.3 and hsu 3.3. Somebody slap this grin off my face. Lol.
butter and jelly please.

If you want an even bigger grin on your face, sample the beginning and up to and including the whole crash landing in Flight of the Phoenix.

The opening titles with Johnny Cash singing in the background and the plane thundering low overhead and then the crash landing, energized my entire room like no other movie, including WOTW.
post #5254 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

Well I guess this is a bass thread but overall I find it a stellar demo scene and it sounds incredible on my system.

+1

It's my second favorite demo scene right after the awesome plane crash landing in Flight of the Phoenix. smile.gif
post #5255 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

+1
It's my second favorite demo scene right after the awesome plane crash landing in Flight of the Phoenix. smile.gif

It is a good one and pushes all of the loudspeakers to the limit. I have never demo'ed that scene without a lot of audible eek.gif from those viewing. Knowing does that too.
post #5256 of 16109
I might of missed it but I don't see the inclusion of the final bridge scene in "The Long Kiss Good Night."
post #5257 of 16109
For the record and statistics.

Wrath of Titans 4/5 - It had its moments.

Underworld Awakening solid 5/5 - That movie was a glorious assault on my subwoofers.
post #5258 of 16109
I don't see what all the hype is about with Super 8. The train crash didn't do much for me, really, in terms of bass. Excellent sound design in that scene no doubt but the bass was just OK...
post #5259 of 16109
This thread is way too long to see if this has been posted before but I just randomly put on Once Upon a Time in Mexico about half way through the movie (was playing on MAXHD) and all of a sudden there is the scene where Antonio Banderas is shooting his shotgun. the girlfriend yelled from the kitchen saying the floor was shaking, to turn it down, haha. it was very exagerated for a shutgon going off but that's the general comedy of this franchise. Cant wait to build new sub to see what <20Hz content it has.
post #5260 of 16109
Well to comment to all the naysayers and yaysayers since my super 8 post. It was the first time i let reference rip in my ~2000³ listening space. Both subs right next to me in a corner while i sit on the near side on a sectional about 9' from my 51" plasma. I only have a 3.2 system running at the moment and my polks sit at the bottom side of wanna be audiophile but all i can say is it was a glorious moment in home theater history for me. My neighbor upstairs was probably killing zombies and hitting the bong but i can guarantee next time i see him he is gonna ask "was that really a train wreck going on in your living room?"

butter and jelly please.
post #5261 of 16109
I will say this about Super 8 (and Wrath Of The Titans too, while we're on the subject) is a movie that sounds VERY different depending on how low your subs can play. With just my subs (flat to 15) Super 8 was underwhelming and WOTT was good, not great. Since adding the Buttkicker, Super 8 is demo-worthy, and WOTT is definitely 5 star. I've had a bunch of those eye-opening experiences recently. (Hot Fuzz also comes to mind)
post #5262 of 16109
Lol. I just talked to my neighbor and i hit it spot on. He was killing zombies and stoned out of his mind. His couch was shaking hard and he was like wtf? And then his whole living room was shking and his exact words were wtf are ufos landing? And then he started laughing. Oh yeah my obnoxious neighbor downstairs. He enjoyed it though. He couldnt believe how much his couch was shaking and bong was rippling. Good times good times. Lol.

butter and jelly please.
post #5263 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

I will say this about Super 8 (and Wrath Of The Titans too, while we're on the subject) is a movie that sounds VERY different depending on how low your subs can play. With just my subs (flat to 15) Super 8 was underwhelming and WOTT was good, not great. Since adding the Buttkicker, Super 8 is demo-worthy, and WOTT is definitely 5 star. I've had a bunch of those eye-opening experiences recently. (Hot Fuzz also comes to mind)
^^^^^
||||||||
THIS.

With that said, I liked both, but not enough to own either one of them, until they hit the bargain bin.


JSS
post #5264 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post

Lol. I just talked to my neighbor and i hit it spot on. He was killing zombies and stoned out of his mind. His couch was shaking hard and he was like wtf? And then his whole living room was shking and his exact words were wtf are ufos landing? And then he started laughing. Oh yeah my obnoxious neighbor downstairs. He enjoyed it though. He couldnt believe how much his couch was shaking and bong was rippling. Good times good times. Lol.
butter and jelly please.

That is hilarious! I think you should invite him over for a The Walking Dead marathon. The two seasons on blu ray are phenomenal (lot of grain, but I don't mind pic wise), however not a lot of bass but some decent gun shots.

While we are talking Super 8 I thought it was very good bass and picked it up as a blind buy and have watched it several times. Even in my pretty heavily treated room the highs were a bit much on the train wreck (as has been mentioned before) and I only watch at -8.
post #5265 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post

Well to comment to all the naysayers and yaysayers since my super 8 post. It was the first time i let reference rip in my ~2000³ listening space. Both subs right next to me in a corner while i sit on the near side on a sectional about 9' from my 51" plasma. I only have a 3.2 system running at the moment and my polks sit at the bottom side of wanna be audiophile but all i can say is it was a glorious moment in home theater history for me. My neighbor upstairs was probably killing zombies and hitting the bong but i can guarantee next time i see him he is gonna ask "was that really a train wreck going on in your living room?"

butter and jelly please.

Which subs are you using? I may have missed that part.
post #5266 of 16109
I will say one thing about Super 8. I also thought it was underwhelming in the bass department. Then, I realized that this audio track automatically switched to something like a "night mode" or something like that. If your preamp or receiver has a dynamic mode like night mode or anything that will do something similar, as soon as the movie starts, check it out in your menu system and make sure it is off. When I did, and I watched it a second time, it made a huge difference. The train scene and truck scene were light years better then they were before. So just a thought. Make sure you don't have a "night mode" or something like it turned on. Again, I think this movie does it automatically so you have to go into menu of your processor while the movie is on. I have to do it every time I watch this movie.
post #5267 of 16109

One comment on Super 8:

 

It had some good bass moments for me on my system.  However there were some moments, especially in train crash scene where I felt confused by the audio.  I mean a train car would crash and the only effect was like a "ziiiing" sound or a bending metal sound, when I was expecting/wanting a BOOOOM.  There were some major bass moments missed for me although I found what was there enjoyable.

 

The train crash was also extremely harsh on the high end with my system, but that may have been my 1" silk domes running out of steam IDK.

post #5268 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

One comment on Super 8:

It had some good bass moments for me on my system.  However there were some moments, especially in train crash scene where I felt confused by the audio.  I mean a train car would crash and the only effect was like a "ziiiing" sound or a bending metal sound, when I was expecting/wanting a BOOOOM.  There were some major bass moments missed for me although I found what was there enjoyable.

The train crash was also extremely harsh on the high end with my system, but that may have been my 1" silk domes running out of steam IDK.

Many movies have the bass hot in the wrong scene. Avatar had bass but wings flapping were more dramatic than that huge tree falling. Super 8 highs were loud but not too bad, I think what is happening is that maybe they are very loud and most speakers are crapping out? I know they sound fine on my system but still loud, I have heard louder in other movies.
post #5269 of 16109
Some movies have bass for the sole purpose of conveying a mood. Meanwhile, there's nothing warranting bass happening on the screen. Personally I consider that BS. Hunger Games comes to mind.
post #5270 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Some movies have bass for the sole purpose of conveying a mood. Meanwhile, there's nothing warranting bass happening on the screen. Personally I consider that BS. Hunger Games comes to mind.

What, I welcome all bass. Those subtle mood effects are very cool. It makes scary movies scary. Watch the Exorcism of Emily rose with subs off and then turn them on and the movie will make you jump.
post #5271 of 16109
I tend to jump more when the bass is more dynamic. It's not there, and then suddenly it is in a big way. The cannons in Master and Commander, for example.
post #5272 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

I tend to jump more when the bass is more dynamic. It's not there, and then suddenly it is in a big way. The cannons in Master and Commander, for example.

I will bet you that is mostly because it is accompanied by loud speaker spl's as well. MI4 car crash is one dynamic make you jump scene and also accompanied with highs. Emily rose as dynamic bass(highs) and setting the mood for what's coming, both are needed. Now I have always said I like real life stuff and how many dark corners or homes have subtle low frequencies to scare us? They don't exist, that is just movie effects but I like them. Then again, how many possessions or invinsible killers are there? I guess fake effects for fake movies are OK. Are we really not wanting Bass?
post #5273 of 16109
I'm not saying I hate the moody bass effects. I'm just much more impressed with movies that use bass that is appropriate for the action on the screen. It doesn't even have to be over-the-top bass. For example, Star Trek is excellent that way. There was no bass to excess, but when there should be bass, there was certainly bass in a dynamic way. Whenever a ship went to warp, BAMMM!
post #5274 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

I'm not saying I hate the moody bass effects. I'm just much more impressed with movies that use bass that is appropriate for the action on the screen. It doesn't even have to be over-the-top bass. For example, Star Trek is excellent that way. There was no bass to excess, but when there should be bass, there was certainly bass in a dynamic way. Whenever a ship went to warp, BAMMM!

I like accurate bass as well but I am easy to please, just have bass. I remember watching Cloverfield for the first time and during the intro credits there was a very loud bass thud and made me jump! I knew it was going to have major bass because it was just the credits! I do like Star Trek as a movie and sound overall. LOTR and Batman trilogy are my favs for overall movies that are good and with bass.
post #5275 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

One comment on Super 8:

It had some good bass moments for me on my system.  However there were some moments, especially in train crash scene where I felt confused by the audio.  I mean a train car would crash and the only effect was like a "ziiiing" sound or a bending metal sound, when I was expecting/wanting a BOOOOM.  There were some major bass moments missed for me although I found what was there enjoyable.

The train crash was also extremely harsh on the high end with my system, but that may have been my 1" silk domes running out of steam IDK.

I agree, but I thought it was my reference KLIPSCH horns. but waaaaay to harsh for me...yuck
post #5276 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

I liked both, but not enough to own either one of them, until they hit the bargain bin.

Psst...for your information...Super 8 on BD, is now in the bargain bin at Best Buy, for $7.99. smile.gif
post #5277 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

It is a good one and pushes all of the loudspeakers to the limit. I have never demo'ed that scene without a lot of audible eek.gif from those viewing.

Also, as a bonus, FOTP has demo quality picture, to go with the great lossless audio. smile.gif
post #5278 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post

Well to comment to all the naysayers and yaysayers since my super 8 post.

The fanboys that dominate this thread, love to trash Super 8, because its bass content doesn't extend
down to the single digit regions. rolleyes.gif
post #5279 of 16109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

One comment on Super 8:

It had some good bass moments for me on my system.  However there were some moments, especially in train crash scene where I felt confused by the audio.  I mean a train car would crash and the only effect was like a "ziiiing" sound or a bending metal sound, when I was expecting/wanting a BOOOOM.  There were some major bass moments missed for me although I found what was there enjoyable.

The train crash was also extremely harsh on the high end with my system, but that may have been my 1" silk domes running out of steam IDK.

I agree, but I thought it was my reference KLIPSCH horns. but waaaaay to harsh for me...yuck
Yup, I agree. Way too harsh. I measured my system for signs of compression at THX Reference and it was fine. Played Super 8 at -8 on someone else's recommendation and lackluster bass for multi-ton traincars bouncing around, but those metallic screeching sounds were ear piercingly LOUD. I was wincing through most of the train crash because of the ear piercing frequencies.

Now I'll admit, IRL, metallic objects do make those high pitched sounds, but the fact that they were SO loud, yet there was no ultra low end was just disappointingly unrealistic.



Max
post #5280 of 16109
According to that graph above Super 8 train crash does contain single digit bass. I don't know, it was loud but not harsh in my theater. My theater is wall, ceiling, and bass treated with EQ. Do you guys have reflective rooms? I think I will throw this in tonight. What speakers are you guys using for this scene? Have you measured your responses up to 20khz? I have said this before we need to start showing our responses with compression sweeps and equipment information. We can have 3 sweeps from 10 dBs below reference, then 5 dBs and finally at reference. If your system is not compressing the THD is usually lower, this happens for my sub systems anyways. I know one says harsh and another says great, one says awesome bass and another says OK bass, we could actually find out why just from compression and response sweeps. It won't tell us everything but we could at least get an idea what each of us are listening to.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts