or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 193

post #5761 of 16084
Quick question. How scary is CITW? Wife doesn't like over scary movies but wants to see it. I know this is an odd question. I just want to spin it to hear the bass. She is curious about the actual movie haha
post #5762 of 16084
It is not scary in the traditional sense...the final act plays out to over the top "horror" but I was detached throughout the movie in relation to it being "scary". My wife had no problems until the end...smile.gif
post #5763 of 16084
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Ok I'll bite. What ya got???

Well, since you asked:


2.3 liter supercharger which boosts output to around 550 rear wheel ponies. Lets take it to PMs if you want to discuss further.
post #5764 of 16084
^^^^^^

SWEET! cool.gif
post #5765 of 16084
I saw Prometheus last night and was really impressed with the LFE in several scenes, most notably the scenes involving the human and alien spaceships....my walls were shaking big-time (though I didn't sense any ULF sitting in my chair). I would rate this at 4.5 Stars, or a very strong 4 Stars. This did NOT compare, IMHO, with a title like Tron: Legacy.

Let me add that the action in the surrounds was phenomenal!
post #5766 of 16084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Quick question. How scary is CITW? Wife doesn't like over scary movies but wants to see it. I know this is an odd question. I just want to spin it to hear the bass. She is curious about the actual movie haha

It's basically a thriller. I didn't find it scary at all.
post #5767 of 16084
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

It's basically a thriller. I didn't find it scary at all.


Neither did I. I thought it was silly, which I believe was the point. Sort of a satire, which would be fine, but too predictable for me. I prefer thrillers that keep you on the edge of your seat and then they hit you with lots of scary bass! eek.gif


Hidingunderpillow.gif




Ian biggrin.gif
Edited by mailiang - 10/13/12 at 3:53pm
post #5768 of 16084
This is somewhat interesting, the talk of CitW and Prometheus having some very good LFE moments. I've seen both streamed (via a very good connection) from Vudu, and while they both had prominent low frequencies (the audio was surprisingly good) , it was certainly nothing I would have considered noteworthy. I suppose it's on my mind since the discussion about DVD/BD being phased out in the future to make way for streaming from an online source was recently brought up elsewhere here. Clearly it's not ready yet (which was pretty much obvious anyway). I guess I'll rent these two just so I can compare the audio to the streamed version, if for no other reason than to see just how big the difference is.
post #5769 of 16084
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

This is somewhat interesting, the talk of CitW and Prometheus having some very good LFE moments. I've seen both streamed (via a very good connection) from Vudu, and while they both had prominent low frequencies (the audio was surprisingly good) , it was certainly nothing I would have considered noteworthy. I suppose it's on my mind since the discussion about DVD/BD being phased out in the future to make way for streaming from an online source was recently brought up elsewhere here. Clearly it's not ready yet (which was pretty much obvious anyway). I guess I'll rent these two just so I can compare the audio to the streamed version, if for no other reason than to see just how big the difference is.


I also stream as well, but I do prefer the higher bit rate of BD. However, Vudu and even some Netflix titles come close in terms of picture and audio quality. I would like to read your results. Thanks.



Ian
post #5770 of 16084
The smaller your display the more you will like streaming Netflix.
post #5771 of 16084
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I also stream as well, but I do prefer the higher bit rate of BD. However, Vudu and even some Netflix titles come close in terms of picture and audio quality. I would like to read your results. Thanks.
Ian
I much prefer watching the BD, but streaming movies makes it sooo easy, though.smile.gif

What I may do is try to level match the BD and the streamed version on dialog, then see if I get a big variance in the LFE frequencies compared to each other. I use the XTZ room analyzer which makes that pretty easy to do.
post #5772 of 16084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdane View Post

Not movie related, but was sorting through some music I've had on my PC for ages. And remembered this short tune a friend had written for a Quake 3 level made years ago. I had remembered it had some pretty potent bass, but really I had no idea. At the time it was written I don't think I had anything that could produce anything below ~35Hz. Well this song is a 20Hz monster! eek.gif
I played it on my HT System at -10db, my god my entire room was breathing! biggrin.gif

Song Download (Indy - Pathways [MP3 - 4.4Mb])

lost a couple yrs on quake 3 so gave this a whirl - very nice weight
thanks for sharing
post #5773 of 16084
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

This is somewhat interesting, the talk of CitW and Prometheus having some very good LFE moments. I've seen both streamed (via a very good connection) from Vudu, and while they both had prominent low frequencies (the audio was surprisingly good) , it was certainly nothing I would have considered noteworthy.

Could you clarify something for me? I highlighted two words you used to describe the "low frequencies" you heard while streaming those two titles and I would like you to explain to me the main difference between *prominent* and *noteworthy*.

FWIW, I saw both movies on Blu-ray and IMHO they both had some awesome LFE moments. I would go so far as to say they were quite prominent....or, some would probably say...noteworthy. rolleyes.gif
post #5774 of 16084
Went ahead and watched CITW after avengers and the wife went to bed. Streamed via Vudu and was quite impressed with the LFE in a few scenes. Had a lot more than the avengers. Really liked the movie too.
post #5775 of 16084
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Could you clarify something for me? I highlighted two words you used to describe the "low frequencies" you heard while streaming those two titles and I would like you to explain to me the main difference between *prominent* and *noteworthy*.
FWIW, I saw both movies on Blu-ray and IMHO they both had some awesome LFE moments. I would go so far as to say they were quite prominent....or, some would probably say...noteworthy. rolleyes.gif
Prominent, as to say it was some very decent LFE. Not, however, noteworthy, as it wasn't anything like Cloverfield or WotW. You do understand I'm talking about the streamed version, right?

I'm trusting that eye rolling smiley (which I wish would be removed from the forum) isn't meant to convey a smart ass attitude.
post #5776 of 16084
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Prominent, as to say it was some very decent LFE. Not, however, noteworthy, as it wasn't anything like Cloverfield or WotW. You do understand I'm talking about the streamed version, right?
I'm trusting that eye rolling smiley (which I wish would be removed from the forum) isn't meant to convey a smart ass attitude.

I used the "eye rolling smiley" because in my mind some people would indeed use either of those two words (prominent....noteworthy) to describe the same thing. In my American Heritage Dictionary the word *prominent* can mean, "immediately noticeable; conspicuous." The word *noteworthy* can mean, "worthy of recognition; remarkable." Interestingly the word *conspicuous* can mean, "attracting attention by being unusual or remarkable." In comparing these meanings one can easily conclude that they are synonymous, given the right context. In my thinking the LFE in both movies were REMARKABLE! Of course I'm referring to the Blu-ray, which I hope you can see someday. It may indeed be a game changer regarding your opinion of the LFE. In closing, my purpose wasn't to be sarcastic, but I could have used more *tact* in making my point.
post #5777 of 16084
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

I used the "eye rolling smiley" because in my mind some people would indeed use either of those two words (prominent....noteworthy) to describe the same thing. In my American Heritage Dictionary the word *prominent* can mean, "immediately noticeable; conspicuous." The word *noteworthy* can mean, "worthy of recognition; remarkable." Interestingly the word *conspicuous* can mean, "attracting attention by being unusual or remarkable." In comparing these meanings one can easily conclude that they are synonymous, given the right context. In my thinking the LFE in both movies were REMARKABLE! Of course I'm referring to the Blu-ray, which I hope you can see someday. It may indeed be a game changer regarding your opinion of the LFE. In closing, my purpose wasn't to be sarcastic, but I could have used more *tact* in making my point.
I respect your use of proper adjectives. I really do. But I tend to loosen up on internet forums quite a bit. I should have clarified, though. By "prominent", I was speaking about the soundtracks in relation to them being streamed. In other words, it sounded surprisingly good considering it was coming at me over the interwebs. However, seeing people talk about the prodigious amounts of low frequency these two BD's contain, it seems the streamed versions are lacking quite a bit. All is good. smile.gif
post #5778 of 16084
Ice age continental drift.
Didnt have time to do the DTS-HD MA audio so this is just the eng AC3:
capt05.jpg

No roll off really, but, then again, very low amplitude. Probably not to spectacular.
Edited by Steveo1234 - 10/14/12 at 1:02am
post #5779 of 16084
Rock of ages. DTS-HD MA 5.1 eng
capt06.jpg

Closest thing to a brick wall filter ive ever seen. Everything just dies below 20hz no matter the level or amount above it. (One scene was not filtered though, but the level was low as you can see on the left side of the "20hz".)
Decent amount of bass though, even though everything is around -40db or so. Almost no red, def no pink.
Edited by Steveo1234 - 10/14/12 at 1:02am
post #5780 of 16084
Madagascar 3 . I cant get audacity to open the TrueHD audio so this is the AC3.
capt07.jpg

Looks just like it sounds, i.e good quality and extension but crappy amplitude. The graph matches what I heard pretty well.
post #5781 of 16084
A lot of disapointing LFE tracks recently methinks.
Heres WOTW to remind everyone how much fun a good track can be :=)

capt08.jpg
post #5782 of 16084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1234 View Post

Madagascar 3 . I cant get audacity to open the TrueHD audio so this is the AC3.
capt07.jpg
Looks just like it sounds, i.e good quality and extension but crappy amplitude. The graph matches what I heard pretty well.

I watched this one last night. Overall sound quality was excellent, even the bass was pretty good, if only the amplitude would have been higher.. :-) 3,5 stars for the bass. But it's an enjoyable 3,5 stars.
post #5783 of 16084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1234 View Post

Heres WOTW to remind everyone how much fun a good track can be :=)

To me it is all purple....I don't see the fun ?!

This chart is much more easier for me to "see" as fun...

War of the Worlds - Chapter 5
WOTW_ch5.jpg
post #5784 of 16084
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

You married guys crack me up. lol
You can't buy anything for your home theaters, unless you get the ok from your wives. rolleyes.gif
GROW A PAIR!!!
Tell her if she dosen't want you to buy stuff, to pack her bags and get the hell out.
No woman is going to tell me what I can and can't buy.
Life is to short to have to put up with crap like that.

Yea my wife knows I like to play loud and as long as she's part of it she's GAME!!

What she does not like is if I play loud on a weekday when theirs school (kids) or work the next morning then shes not happy with me playing it loud.

I told her to stop being jealous........ not the right answer but it was fun pushing the button. biggrin.gif:p
post #5785 of 16084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1234 View Post

A lot of disapointing LFE tracks recently methinks.
Heres WOTW to remind everyone how much fun a good track can be :=)

capt08.jpg



That chart is supposed to be a reminder of what?

Your waterfall show no audio content in the frequency range that you have selected, and the amplitude graph on the right side shows that no audio is being input to spectrumlab.
post #5786 of 16084
Those look like Spectrographs as opposed to waterfall charts. Maybe there're other similar uses for the term that I'm not aware of? Here's an example of a waterfall chart for a SVS PB13-Ultra;

B%20pb13%2015hz%20waterfall.jpg
post #5787 of 16084
You meant to say spectrograms, but it's the same thing in this case really, we show here 2D version of the same data, where the 3rd dimension is represented as color variation.

Edit: actually I have no idea what I'm saying
post #5788 of 16084
Spectrograph is the graphed information created by the scope.

Enters the confusing world of the English language as you have graph and spectrum in combination. Graph can also refer to writing or illustrations, such as graphics. Photography works out to writing with light and creating a alphabetic letter can be considered graphic as a literal description can be considered a graphic representation. As for more confusion, spectrograph and spectroscope can be used interchangeably to mean the scope or the graph.

Stating the obvious, the English language is an amalgam of history of every tribe who invaded the isles over the last two thousand years and then came to North America to form the U.S. A. Agreeing with you, I had nothing to do with what historically happened, so for me to lay claim to knowing what I was doing, would be equally foolish. tongue.gif

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 10/14/12 at 11:41am
post #5789 of 16084
For Terminator Salvation, I would give it a five star in the scene when the massive robot comes along and abducts people in that desert. The bass is pretty insane in that! Overall I would give the movie a 4 in the LFE department.

And also, DISTRICT 9!!! I would give this movie a 5 to be honest. The whole movie has incredibly tight and low LFE. The scene in which the mothership starts up near the end of the film simply shook my room to its core. smile.gif

I must say, a great list you have here. Nice work!
post #5790 of 16084
Just watched Prometheus and thought it was pretty good. LFE was better than Avengers but less than Cabin in the Woods.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts