or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 236

post #7051 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

Not usually a problem for me... I am the tall dude biggrin.gif

At least your are not the BO dude.
post #7052 of 16105
I'm looking for Tron:Legacy waterfalls?
Where can I find them?
post #7053 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPainMD View Post

I'm looking for Tron:Legacy waterfalls?
Where can I find them?

In your old thread...smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/755493/the-master-list-of-dvd-hd-dvd-blu-ray-movies-with-bass-thread-with-waterfalls/5500_100#post_20264148
post #7054 of 16105
Dr. PAin is back! eek.gifsmile.gif
post #7055 of 16105
I'd give Skyfall a 3.75 on bass overall. A couple of decent scenes.
post #7056 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy View Post



Any chance you guys could show a bit of respect to the people who haven't had the chance to watch Skyfall yet, and use spoilers?

if it makes you feel any better, it's not much of a spoiler without knowing when or why the train crashes.
post #7057 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post

if it makes you feel any better, it's not much of a spoiler without knowing when or why the train crashes.
The train crashes?
post #7058 of 16105
Yeah the train crashes it was only seen in the trailer on TV ad naseum every commercial break when they were advertising the movie.

I was more surprised to learn that M and Q were Bond's illegitimate parents.....oh wait spoiler alert. ;-)
post #7059 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

Yeah the train crashes it was only seen in the trailer on TV ad naseum every commercial break when they were advertising the movie.

I was more surprised to learn that M and Q were Bond's illegitimate parents.....oh wait spoiler alert. ;-)
What, Bond is the name of the main character?
post #7060 of 16105
Deep Impact or Armageddon, bwhich blu ray give more chest punch?
post #7061 of 16105
Don't know as I haven't watched either since buying my hsu vtf3.3. Armageddon is the better movie IMO. I really like Deep Impact when it came out, then I saw the other one.
post #7062 of 16105
I just watched Skyfall and there are actually three good LFE moments, though the one not mentioned previously is very short-lived (I don't want to put out a *spoiler* but let me just remind you that it takes place in London, above ground).

I also want to comment on the whole audio track; it was REFERENCE all the way...a very "well-balanced" track with engaging action in the surrounds, excellent dialogue in the center, and then those three top-notch LFE events. Another word that comes to mind is PRECISE, for nothing was dominating or obscuring. From the quietest moments of dialogue to the thunderous, wall-shaking LFE, every sound was exactly spot on!

As far as a rating for bass, someone mentioned 3.5 Stars and I would tend to agree with that, though the last explosion was so dramatic (and continuous) that I might be willing to go along with 4 Stars.
post #7063 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

I just watched Skyfall and there are actually three good LFE moments, though the one not mentioned previously is very short-lived (I don't want to put out a *spoiler* but let me just remind you that it takes place in London, above ground).

I also want to comment on the whole audio track; it was REFERENCE all the way...a very "well-balanced" track with engaging action in the surrounds, excellent dialogue in the center, and then those three top-notch LFE events. Another word that comes to mind is PRECISE, for nothing was dominating or obscuring. From the quietest moments of dialogue to the thunderous, wall-shaking LFE, every sound was exactly spot on!

As far as a rating for bass, someone mentioned 3.5 Stars and I would tend to agree with that, though the last explosion was so dramatic (and continuous) that I might be willing to go along with 4 Stars.

I did like the bass in the film but felt the mix was hot just like the TDKR which I didn't really like..eek.gif
post #7064 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I did like the bass in the film but felt the mix was hot just like the TDKR which I didn't really like..eek.gif

I will agree with you that TDKR ran a bit hot, but Skyfall sounded excellent on my system. Do you run your subs hot? I don't....after running Audyssey my system sounded great so I haven't touched it.

When I think of a Blu- ray that most definitely had a hot mix I instantly think of Underworld: Awakening.
post #7065 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I did like the bass in the film but felt the mix was hot just like the TDKR which I didn't really like..eek.gif

To me its better than TDKR, skyfall has more chest punch
post #7066 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

I will agree with you that TDKR ran a bit hot, but Skyfall sounded excellent on my system. Do you run your subs hot? I don't....after running Audyssey my system sounded great so I haven't touched it.

When I think of a Blu- ray that most definitely had a hot mix I instantly think of Underworld: Awakening.

Awakening is awesome is LFE all the time
post #7067 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremymak View Post

Awakening is awesome is LFE all the time

Yes, the bass/LFE is awesome in Underworld: Awakening, but IMHO it was too hot. Just to be clear, when I say "too hot" I mean it was too overpowering at times where it ended up obscuring other sounds, like dialogue.
post #7068 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Yes, the bass/LFE is awesome in Underworld: Awakening, but IMHO it was too hot. Just to be clear, when I say "too hot" I mean it was too overpowering at times where it ended up obscuring other sounds, like dialogue.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Underworld-Awakening-3D-Blu-ray/33103/

above sound review is similar to my experience
post #7069 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

I just watched Skyfall and there are actually three good LFE moments, though the one not mentioned previously is very short-lived (I don't want to put out a *spoiler* but let me just remind you that it takes place in London, above ground).

I also want to comment on the whole audio track; it was REFERENCE all the way...a very "well-balanced" track with engaging action in the surrounds, excellent dialogue in the center, and then those three top-notch LFE events. Another word that comes to mind is PRECISE, for nothing was dominating or obscuring. From the quietest moments of dialogue to the thunderous, wall-shaking LFE, every sound was exactly spot on!

As far as a rating for bass, someone mentioned 3.5 Stars and I would tend to agree with that, though the last explosion was so dramatic (and continuous) that I might be willing to go along with 4 Stars.

I thought the audio was excellent as well in Skyfall, but I was even more impressed with the video on this disc. I know I said this about Samsara, but I think Skyfall might be the best I have ever seen my RS45 look as far as a live action title goes all things considered. I just did a full calibration on my projector last week for my scope setting and a transfer like Skyfall makes all the time, effort and money spent with the gear seem worth it. cool.gif

Underworld Awakening is hot for sure, but I absolutely love that audio track, especially the LFE. That first Super Lycan appearance is a mind blower for LFE IMO. eek.gif While the LFE is hot, I never felt it drowned out the other elements of the mix as far as surround and dialog goes, but just my opinion as I know some dont agree.

To keep on track, I would probably go 3.5 for Skyfall for LFE overall. It had the 3 fairly memorable moments like you mention and some other less memorable hits throughout the film. LFE hit in all the right spots as well which is always important in my book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Yes, the bass/LFE is awesome in Underworld: Awakening, but IMHO it was too hot. Just to be clear, when I say "too hot" I mean it was too overpowering at times where it ended up obscuring other sounds, like dialogue.

I definitely did not have that problem with UA. While it was loud and aggressive, especially in the low end, dialog was never an issue and I never felt the surrounds and/or LFE was drowned out by each other. One of the most engaging and immersive audio experiences on blu ray from my perspective.
Edited by Toe - 2/16/13 at 9:41am
post #7070 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremymak View Post

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Underworld-Awakening-3D-Blu-ray/33103/

above sound review is similar to my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post


Underworld Awakening is hot for sure, but I absolutely love that audio track, especially the LFE. That first Super Lycan appearance is a mind blower for LFE IMO. eek.gif While the LFE is hot, I never felt it drowned out the other elements of the mix as far as surround and dialog goes, but just my opinion as I know some dont agree.

To keep on track, I would probably go 3.5 for Skyfall for LFE overall. It had the 3 fairly memorable moments like you mention and some other less memorable hits throughout the film. LFE hit in all the right spots as well which is always important in my book.
I definitely did not have that problem with UA. While it was loud and aggressive, especially in the low end, dialog was never an issue and I never felt the surrounds and/or LFE was drowned out by each other. One of the most engaging and immersive audio experiences on blu ray from my perspective.

In fairness, I may need to revisit Underworld: Awakening. I *may* be confusing this title with another one. FTR, I really did LOVE the audio track in UA (I've told you that before Toe in a PM) and I truly wish more Blus came out with aggressive tracks like that. I just thought there were moments (I stress that word *moments*) when the bass was a bit too aggressive and unbalanced. Not that it actually drowned out dialogue, but I thought I remember instances where the bass and dialogue weren't balanced, where I wished I could turn up the dialogue. But again, it's been awhile since I viewed it so I will have to think seriously about watching it again. I'm not crazy about the movie itself, but the audio is good enough to give it another rent!
post #7071 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I thought the audio was excellent as well in Skyfall, but I was even more impressed with the video on this disc. I know I said this about Samsara, but I think Skyfall might be the best I have ever seen my RS45 look as far as a live action title goes all things considered. I just did a full calibration on my projector last week for my scope setting and a transfer like Skyfall makes all the time, effort and money spent with the gear seem worth it. cool.gif

Did you read my review yet on the PQ Thread for Skyfall? I thought it was as close to "reference" as you can get, yet it fell short due to the ORANGE/TEAL hues in earlier scenes. The "orange" hues especially wreaked havoc on fleshtones, making Mr. Craig look more like a pumpkin than a man! eek.gif A case in point is the scene in the nightclub where he first meets the beautiful brunette. Other than that, this was one beautiful Blu!!
Edited by djoberg - 2/16/13 at 10:36am
post #7072 of 16105
^^^^

No need to respond Toe...I just saw your comments in your review of Skyfall on the PQ Thread. I'm glad to read of the excellent results you're getting after your calibration of your JVC Projector.
post #7073 of 16105
Skyfall PQ is very good. 2 explosion scenes startled me so I went back and watched it again. When it hits, you will know smile.gif
post #7074 of 16105
Agreed especially the second one. Great bass just wish there was more of it. I'd give it a 4
post #7075 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by josay View Post

I have a minor request. On Call of Duty B-ops 2. They have the EMP Grenade and the EMP perk. When you throw the grenade close to yourself or its thrown at you. You get low explosion that you feel then hear. Also with the EMP perk but its much stronger. I set my audio options to low freq on the game. Anyway, is some one able to measure these and get a graph please? Its one of those "holy crap, my rooms gonna collapse"! I know its not a movie but a graph would be nice. Thanks guys.

I've been waiting for someone to ask about this! Yea the EMP perk shakes the crap out of my house. Would be nice to see a graph on that explosion.
post #7076 of 16105
Thought I would get my own waterfalls of ye olde Super Lycan in Underworld Awakening. This is straight off the Blu-Ray, DTS Core, via Hypercube transcoder and Behringer UCA222.





No wonder the tapped horns tried to turn me inside out.
post #7077 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Agreed especially the second one. Great bass just wish there was more of it. I'd give it a 4

I thought the first one startled me much more lol
post #7078 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by josay View Post

I have a minor request. On Call of Duty B-ops 2. They have the EMP Grenade and the EMP perk. When you throw the grenade close to yourself or its thrown at you. You get low explosion that you feel then hear. Also with the EMP perk but its much stronger. I set my audio options to low freq on the game. Anyway, is some one able to measure these and get a graph please? Its one of those "holy crap, my rooms gonna collapse"! I know its not a movie but a graph would be nice. Thanks guys.

yes, I have noticed this too! I always make sure I put the volume right up when I get the EMP systems score streak tongue.gif Thats pretty much the only decent LFE in the game though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josay View Post

I've actually always liked the the sound on the battlefield series. Ill have to revisit that game and experience that level.When I first played BF2 bc I didn't have my Empire sub.
On the black ops however, its my favorite demo for friends. This EMP grenade or perk literally shakes everything. But you have to set your audio settings In game to boost low freq. You have to try it. I can seriously not play the game and just do EMP grenades all day!:-D

BC2 has great bass all round. Some very LFE when you fire rounds from one of the smaller tanks. Its either the BM-3 Badchka or the other one. Also right before buildings collapse there is a low kick. BF3 is disappointing in comparison to BC2. Sound and game IMO.
post #7079 of 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

Skyfall PQ is very good. 2 explosion scenes startled me so I went back and watched it again. When it hits, you will know smile.gif

Just watched Casino Royale the other day. It has exceptional picture quality as well. If only there were no black bars rolleyes.gif
post #7080 of 16105
Maybe I missed it but is there any graphs on Dredd? Specifically of chapter 10 between the 51:30 & 52:30 mark. That part does some hairy stuff in my room!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts