or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 242

post #7231 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

The scales are too fuzzy to read. Can you upload any one of them in higher rez? Or tell us what they are?

Thanks!

Sorry about that; resize fail. Now fixed.
post #7232 of 16212
Anybody watch The Hobbit tonight? I have not been this disappointed with a LFE track since 2012 and Revenge of the Sith! eek.gif What happened????????? confused.gif No depth, no output, MANY missed spots where you would expect BIG LFE and basically nothing or VERY little. I am left scratching my head on this one!
post #7233 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Anybody watch The Hobbit tonight? I have not been this disappointed with a LFE track since 2012 and Revenge of the Sith! eek.gif
What happened?????????

The Hobbit:
Boring....boring.....and boring.....so I fell asleep....several times, and everytime I woke up...thinking...haven't I seen this before?
post #7234 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flageborg View Post

The Hobbit:
Boring....boring.....and boring.....so I fell asleep....several times, and everytime I woke up...thinking...haven't I seen this before?

Agreed. The movie itself was as disappointing as the LFE track!
post #7235 of 16212
LFE was like that in the IMAX theater too...so might just be the overall sound mixing...was actually not surprised it wasnt nominated for an oscar
post #7236 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

LFE was like that in the IMAX theater too...so might just be the overall sound mixing...was actually not surprised it wasnt nominated for an oscar

Agreed. I was hoping it was just the IMAX I was at but apparently and unfortunately it is the mix. Bummer!
post #7237 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

LFE was like that in the IMAX theater too...so might just be the overall sound mixing...was actually not surprised it wasnt nominated for an oscar

LOL, well that just might be the prerequisite to win one. Dark Knight lost to Slumdog Millionaire in this category, and Die Hard 4 wasn't even nominated for any sound recognition at all (No Country For Old Men was though). Gotta love Hollywood politics! smile.gif
post #7238 of 16212
So, it is true. I had watched a soft copy and hoped it was just missing the lfe channel. cant expect much from the 2 sequels now... biggest dissapointment since avengers frown.gif
post #7239 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follz20 View Post

Sorry about that; resize fail. Now fixed.
Wow! So much better! Thanks. smile.gif
post #7240 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey.joe80 View Post

So, it is true. I had watched a soft copy and hoped it was just missing the lfe channel. cant expect much from the 2 sequels now... biggest dissapointment since avengers frown.gif

This is much more disappointing than the Avengers. Sure, the Avengers had the filter, but the movie was absolutely loaded to the gills with the LFE that was there, the LFE hit in all the right spots and it hit plenty hard. Not only does The Hobbit feel like it has been filtered, but the LFE that is there is weak and there are MANY missed spots where you would expect bass and it is either not there or very tame. This is disappointment on the level of 2012 and Revenge of the Sith IMO. frown.gif

Like you mention, the real bummer is this does not bode well for the sequels since I assume the same mix team will do those films. This cant be the same crew that did the LOTR films, or is it? The sound design feels similar besides the LFE, so maybe it is?
post #7241 of 16212
Damn, disappointing about the Hobbit... Can't be as disappointing as the Bourne legacy though, my subs actually went into standby for half that movie!
post #7242 of 16212
I'm an hour into The Hobbit and thought to myself that the LFE was weak also. So many missed opportunities were it could have been great.
Into second hour, bass got better! 40 minutes to go!
Edited by kong - 3/20/13 at 5:03pm
post #7243 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Anybody watch The Hobbit tonight? I have not been this disappointed with a LFE track since 2012 and Revenge of the Sith! eek.gif What happened????????? confused.gif No depth, no output, MANY missed spots where you would expect BIG LFE and basically nothing or VERY little. I am left scratching my head on this one!
Same here sat back and expected another awesome LOTR style audio low end presentation but it was not to be. At one point in time I even checked to see if the amp powering the sub was even on!
post #7244 of 16212
At least I know I didn't get screwed at the theater lol
post #7245 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

LOL, well that just might be the prerequisite to win one. Dark Knight lost to Slumdog Millionaire in this category, and Die Hard 4 wasn't even nominated for any sound recognition at all (No Country For Old Men was though). Gotta love Hollywood politics! smile.gif

I think that Slumdog was sublime mix, and had a lot of things going for it to justify the award..

I can only speak for myself and what I look for when thinking about awards, but for me personally, politics don't factor into such a personal process.... I would say that's true for most of my colleagues...
post #7246 of 16212
I don't have the Hobbit yet, but I found it funny how others find the soundtrack "A fantastic audio track that is just nigh perfect." Hmm, I guess I'll have to check it out for myself.

There is a review at the Shack where they gave the audio 4 1/2 stars.
post #7247 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonThor View Post

I don't have the Hobbit yet, but I found it funny how others find the soundtrack "A fantastic audio track that is just nigh perfect." Hmm, I guess I'll have to check it out for myself.

There is a review at the Shack where they gave the audio 4 1/2 stars.

Most sites gave it a 5 for audio, but most sites gave tracks like Avengers, 2012, RotS and other LFE letdowns 5s as well. I suspect most of these reviewers are not bass heads.

Check it out for yourself though of course, but I dont know how any LFE head would not feel letdown with The Hobbit low end especially in light of how awesome the three LOTR films were in comparison.
post #7248 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

LOL, well that just might be the prerequisite to win one. Dark Knight lost to Slumdog Millionaire in this category, and Die Hard 4 wasn't even nominated for any sound recognition at all (No Country For Old Men was though). Gotta love Hollywood politics! smile.gif

How the hell did No Country for old men get nominated?!

The movie is supposed to give you the chills through the fact there is almost no soundtrack music to it. One of my fav movies though. Cant comprehend that nomination though. confused.gif
post #7249 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi777 View Post

How the hell did No Country for old men get nominated?!

The movie is supposed to give you the chills through the fact there is almost no soundtrack music to it. One of my fav movies though. Cant comprehend that nomination though. confused.gif

Best score or best sound?

No Country is an absolute belter of an audio track. The gunshots lift you out of your seat they are so realistic. The car accident at the end is heart attack material for unsuspecting guests viewing for the first time. All the ambient noises are perfection and the quietest parts with just the rustling of wind couldn't be done better. No surprises it was nominated. There's more to great audio then just big explosions smile.gif
post #7250 of 16212
You point out some very true features. I was focusing more on score side of things.

As I said, the ambience in the film is done so well, and makes scenes all the more tense.
post #7251 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy View Post

Best score or best sound?

No Country is an absolute belter of an audio track. The gunshots lift you out of your seat they are so realistic. The car accident at the end is heart attack material for unsuspecting guests viewing for the first time. All the ambient noises are perfection and the quietest parts with just the rustling of wind couldn't be done better. No surprises it was nominated. There's more to great audio then just big explosions smile.gif
cosigned
post #7252 of 16212
I agree except this is not the thread for that, this thread is about loud explosions or whatever produces bass.
post #7253 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy View Post

Best score or best sound?

No Country is an absolute belter of an audio track. The gunshots lift you out of your seat they are so realistic. The car accident at the end is heart attack material for unsuspecting guests viewing for the first time. All the ambient noises are perfection and the quietest parts with just the rustling of wind couldn't be done better. No surprises it was nominated. There's more to great audio then just big explosions smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

cosigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I think that Slumdog was sublime mix, and had a lot of things going for it to justify the award..


The nominations and wins were not for score obviously, but for sound. If gunshots float your boat, then continue to be impressed. Not sure what reference scenes are in Slumdog, but so be it. Try doing an audio mixing of a 20 second scene from Dark Knight and then tell me you believe those drama films have more "sublime" audio .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umNO0Xal9WM

However, feel free to enjoy Slumdog and No Country in your home theater. I will stick with Dark Knight and Die Hard for mine smile.gif
post #7254 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post



The nominations and wins were not for score obviously, but for sound. If gunshots float your boat, then continue to be impressed. Not sure what reference scenes are in Slumdog, but so be it. Try doing an audio mixing of a 20 second scene from Dark Knight and then tell me you believe those drama films have more "sublime" audio .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umNO0Xal9WM

However, feel free to enjoy Slumdog and No Country in your home theater. I will stick with Dark Knight and Die Hard for mine smile.gif

Ive mixed my share of loud films and quiet ones...

Trust me the quiet ones are much harder...
post #7255 of 16212
Remember just because it's loud doesn't mean it's better biggrin.gif . I honestly thought the TDKR mix was eh and everyone seemed to like it...
post #7256 of 16212
So the master list for movies with bass now is accepting slum dog over TDK. I guess if the oscars say so! I wonder how WOTW did at the oscars. Seriously guys, this thread is about movies with bass. It is like going in the hottest girl thread and saying you would rather have a good actress. Fine but the thread is what it is.

BTW the hobbit was awful(bass). His can they mix this after having world class from the first 3! The rest of the audio was great but what are these people doing these days. The LOTR trilogy were not 5 star bass monsters but you could feel the bass on the scenes when called upon and it was done well. I guess I is hard to just copy what you did before. Please don't fix it if it is not broken!
post #7257 of 16212
I guess they really want us to have the movie experience after all. We were better off with DVD and the home mix rather than these unaltered masters. Great, I have better clarity just no bass. The lower budget films do it much better these days. Even King Kong blows this out of the water for bass.

Ok rant over, watched Dredd again and at least they remembered there is a subwoofer.
post #7258 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

So the master list for movies with bass now is accepting slum dog over TDK. I guess if the oscars say so! I wonder how WOTW did at the oscars. Seriously guys, this thread is about movies with bass. It is like going in the hottest girl thread and saying you would rather have a good actress. Fine but the thread is what it is.

Amen! I was wondering if the Oscar kool-aid affected everyone, and was surprised when I started getting opposition on my examples of Slumdog vs Dark Knight, and No Country vs Die Hard 4. tongue.gif
post #7259 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post


BTW the hobbit was awful(bass). His can they mix this after having world class from the first 3! The rest of the audio was great but what are these people doing these days. The LOTR trilogy were not 5 star bass monsters but you could feel the bass on the scenes when called upon and it was done well. I guess I is hard to just copy what you did before. Please don't fix it if it is not broken!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I guess they really want us to have the movie experience after all. We were better off with DVD and the home mix rather than these unaltered masters. Great, I have better clarity just no bass. The lower budget films do it much better these days. Even King Kong blows this out of the water for bass.

Ok rant over, watched Dredd again and at least they remembered there is a subwoofer.

Well said and 100% agreed!!! I think the last film I watched before The Hobbit was Tron Legacy and talk about night/day difference...........part way through The Hobbit, I turned on the lights just to make sure I still had subwoofers! tongue.gif Where's the bass????
Edited by Toe - 3/21/13 at 10:32am
post #7260 of 16212
Same thing happened to the avengers but at least te avengers had bass above 30hz so you felt something. I have this strange feeling I can save some serious money in the future and just build some monster speakers for all channels that go to 30hz and I will cover everything running on large.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts