or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 297

post #8881 of 16212
Flageborg: you're still clipped, so every one of your graphs looks like the movie has more potent bass than it actually does.

Back to bass in movies, Jack the Giant Slayer was decent, with a fair number of bass scenes high in the range, but definitely not like what you'd expect with giants running around during half of the movie - almost no high amplitude ULF. A lackluster movie, too.

Rise of the Guardians was a disappointment. Not much here at all. Very boring movie, too. Took three tries to get through the movie.
post #8882 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Flageborg: you're still clipped.
How can one tell clipping from hard limiting in that graph?
post #8883 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

How can one tell clipping from hard limiting in that graph?

Nearly all of his graphs exhibit a straight line maximum on the amplitude portion of the measurement on the right. Almost no movies should experience this behavior. There have been about a hundred posts on this phenomenon in this thread.

Also, his graphs always show hotter (and, thus, more) bass content than anybody else's graphs, especially those who conscientiously calibrate to avoid clipping.
post #8884 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Nearly all of his graphs exhibit a straight line maximum on the amplitude portion of the measurement on the right. Almost no movies should experience this behavior. There have been about a hundred posts on this phenomenon in this thread.

Also, his graphs always show hotter (and, thus, more) bass content than anybody else's graphs, especially those who conscientiously calibrate to avoid clipping.
Well, that may all be true. But seeing as how Die Hard was extremely loud, the only way to do that is with a peak limiter in the path. It might be involved in how these plots look. Or not...wink.gif
post #8885 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Flageborg: you're still clipped, so every one of your graphs looks like the movie has more potent bass than it actually does.

Back to bass in movies, Jack the Giant Slayer was decent, with a fair number of bass scenes high in the range, but definitely not like what you'd expect with giants running around during half of the movie - almost no high amplitude ULF. A lackluster movie, too.

Rise of the Guardians was a disappointment. Not much here at all. Very boring movie, too. Took three tries to get through the movie.

Yeah I fell asleep. I was expecting much more bass and they had many great opportunities to incorporate some great bass content. Yeah there was some, but not what one would expect! Maybe the disk is better, but I’ll never know. Jack was a let-down in short... imo
post #8886 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Flageborg: you're still clipped, so every one of your graphs looks like the movie has more potent bass than it actually does.

Thank you, but what about this recording? Clipped or not? More bass than actually?
(Ref.: http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/page-49#entry1254)


Edited by Flageborg - 6/29/13 at 11:18am
post #8887 of 16212
Does Mama have good LFE?
post #8888 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

Does Mama have good LFE?

 

Nothing worth posting if I remember right.

post #8889 of 16212
I'd say Momma had pretty good bass for a horror. Nothing crazy but above average I'd say in the horror department. Pretty creepy to. I ran my sub 2-3 DB hot to put a little extra umph in it.
post #8890 of 16212
I can't wait to see the graphs/numbers on Olympus Has Fallen, but I think we have a legit 5 star contender on out hands.
post #8891 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

I can't wait to see the graphs/numbers on Olympus Has Fallen, but I think we have a legit 5 star contender on out hands.

I will check out this movie tonight.
post #8892 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

I will check out this movie tonight.


lets see then
post #8893 of 16212

Olympus Has Fallen 2013

DTS 1536kbps

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #8894 of 16212
OHF has at least 4.5 stars:D
post #8895 of 16212
Wow, can't wait to watch that one when its out on bluray! The story definitely turned out to be better than I expected the first time I saw it. Entertaining to say the least. All the low frequency stuff will ad to the enjoyment.
post #8896 of 16212
Now that is some chedar
post #8897 of 16212
Fark, those graphs look intense lol...gonna check out this beast lol
post #8898 of 16212
I'm curious to see what the objective numbers show, but it seems to lack a BIT of the mid/upper bass that the true 5 star ones have. Either way, this is demo-worthy stuff, no doubt.
post #8899 of 16212
Watched Man of Steel twice so far and enjoyed it even more the second time around..........best action movie released so far. Iron Man 3 was the biggest let down for me this year.

Now I'm hoping Man of Steel is not filtered but chances are is that it will be...............mainly because I tracked down the studio who is doing the sound on the movie.......................Soundworks Collection.

Look on their site and most of those movies they have made have all been filtered with bass...with the exception of TRON Legacy and a small few....god knows how those got past lol. They even did The Hobbit, which was an absolute piece of **** in the bass LFE department and I posted my comments here. Maybe it's certain people that work on the movies put the filter in as some movies have the filter and some don't?....Hmmmm..

scroll down and post your comments. My comment is under the name "Kevin" lol.....I whinged about The Hobbit's soundtrack lol.

http://soundworkscollection.com/videos/the-sound-of-man-of-steel

This filtering of Bass ******** is starting to get on my nerves, just thought I would post my little rant here and add something to the community of bass heads lol.

Cheers,
Edited by buddhamus - 6/30/13 at 8:13am
post #8900 of 16212
^^^^

+ 1000

I left a comment too as "NoLFE_FilterPlease"

wink.gif
post #8901 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

^^^^

+ 1000

I left a comment too as "NoLFE_FilterPlease"

wink.gif

Maybe if we got a lot of ppl spamming their comment sections, maybe they might listen lol.
post #8902 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post

Watched Man of Steel twice so far and enjoyed it even more the second time around..........best action movie released so far. Iron Man 3 was the biggest let down for me this year.

Now I'm hoping Man of Steel is not filtered but chances are is that it will be...............mainly because I tracked down the studio who is doing the sound on the movie.......................Soundworks Collection.

Look on their site and most of those movies they have made have all been filtered with bass...with the exception of TRON Legacy and a small few....god knows how those got past lol. They even did The Hobbit, which was an absolute piece of **** in the bass LFE department and I posted my comments here. Maybe it's certain people that work on the movies put the filter in as some movies have the filter and some don't?....Hmmmm..

scroll down and post your comments. My comment is under the name "Kevin" lol.....I whinged about The Hobbit's soundtrack lol.

http://soundworkscollection.com/videos/the-sound-of-man-of-steel

This filtering of Bass ******** is starting to get on my nerves, just thought I would post my little rant here and add something to the community of bass heads lol.

Cheers,

You are really off bass here (see what I did here..)

Soundworks Collection is not involved with audio production for films in anyway. He is a journalist running a website that highlights all things sound for film.

Man Of Steel was supervised by Scott Hecker (who has done all of ZS's films except LOTG) and mixed at Warner Brother by Chris Jenkins and Frank Montano (again long time ZS collaborators.)

There is no practical reason that an authoring house would filter LFE... what you are seeing 99% of the time is the result of how the soundtrack was created from the get go, not some grand conspiracy to rob you of LFE...

What would be the point in ever filtering the audio for HT vs. theatrical....

Please don't disparage Michael Coleman and Soundworks without knowing what you are talking about... he does great work, and it's really a nice way for film sound professionals to get their work recognized.
Edited by FilmMixer - 6/30/13 at 9:43am
post #8903 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post

Watched Man of Steel twice so far and enjoyed it even more the second time around..........best action movie released so far. Iron Man 3 was the biggest let down for me this year.

Now I'm hoping Man of Steel is not filtered but chances are is that it will be...............mainly because I tracked down the studio who is doing the sound on the movie.......................Soundworks Collection.

Look on their site and most of those movies they have made have all been filtered with bass...with the exception of TRON Legacy and a small few....god knows how those got past lol. They even did The Hobbit, which was an absolute piece of **** in the bass LFE department and I posted my comments here. Maybe it's certain people that work on the movies put the filter in as some movies have the filter and some don't?....Hmmmm..

scroll down and post your comments. My comment is under the name "Kevin" lol.....I whinged about The Hobbit's soundtrack lol.

http://soundworkscollection.com/videos/the-sound-of-man-of-steel

This filtering of Bass ******** is starting to get on my nerves, just thought I would post my little rant here and add something to the community of bass heads lol.

Cheers,

You are really off bass here (see what I did here..)

Soundworks Collection is not involved with audio production for films in anyway. He is a journalist running a website that highlights all things sound for film.

Man Of Steel was supervised by Scott Hecker (who has done all of ZS's films except LOTG) and mixed at Warner Brother by Chris Jenkins and Frank Montano (again long time ZS collaborators.)

There is no practical reason that an authoring house would filter LFE... what you are seeing 99% of the time is the result of how the soundtrack was created from the get go, not some grand conspiracy to rob you of LFE...

What would be the point in ever filtering the audio for HT vs. theatrical....

Please don't disparage Michael Coleman and Soundworks without knowing what you are talking about... he does great work, and it's really a nice way for film sound professionals to get their work recognized.

Sounds like buddhamus has had a bit of a Roseannadanna moment...
post #8904 of 16212
Hi guys what is the proper position of the subwoofer, it should be facing to the listener or it doesn't matter where the sub is facing?
post #8905 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

Hi guys what is the proper position of the subwoofer, it should be facing to the listener or it doesn't matter where the sub is facing?

Bass is omni directional so it is irrelevant whether the sub faces away or towards you. That doesn't mean positioning won't change the FR though. I've seen shifts as small as a few inches make noticeable differences at the LP.
post #8906 of 16212
Doesn't matter, it should be placed where it gives the best freq response.
post #8907 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

You are really off bass here (see what I did here..)

Soundworks Collection is not involved with audio production for films in anyway. He is a journalist running a website that highlights all things sound for film.

Man Of Steel was supervised by Scott Hecker (who has done all of ZS's films except LOTG) and mixed at Warner Brother by Chris Jenkins and Frank Montano (again long time ZS collaborators.)

There is no practical reason that an authoring house would filter LFE... what you are seeing 99% of the time is the result of how the soundtrack was created from the get go, not some grand conspiracy to rob you of LFE...

What would be the point in ever filtering the audio for HT vs. theatrical....

Please don't disparage Michael Coleman and Soundworks without knowing what you are talking about... he does great work, and it's really a nice way for film sound professionals to get their work recognized.
I was wondering when somebody would chime in with a legitimate reason for the infamous missing LFE.
post #8908 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Bass is omni directional so it is irrelevant whether the sub faces away or towards you. That doesn't mean positioning won't change the FR though. I've seen shifts as small as a few inches make noticeable differences at the LP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Doesn't matter, it should be placed where it gives the best freq response.
Thanks guys. I will try to not having the sub at the listening position and we'll see how it sounds..
post #8909 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

Hi guys what is the proper position of the subwoofer, it should be facing to the listener or it doesn't matter where the sub is facing?
It depends on where you put it. IME, with my sub in a corner taking advantage of room gain I found that flipping it around to where it faces the corner gave me a slightly smoother FR and raised the level from 4 to 6 db. Part of that could simply be attributed to the fact that the driver and port are now 26 inches closer to the corner (sub depth dimension). I have the front firing FV15HP.
post #8910 of 16212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

It depends on where you put it. IME, with my sub in the corner taking advantage of room gain I found that flipping it around to where it faces the corner gave me a slightly smoother FR and raised the level from 4 to 6 db. Part of that could simply be attributed to the fact that the driver and port are now 26 inches closer to the corner (sub depth dimension). I have the front firing FV15HP.

That's interesting, I might try flipping 1 or 2 of my SVS, both corner placement.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts