or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 315

post #9421 of 16108
right,Titan A.E. is indeed worthy of a 5-star bass rating, imo.thanks 10.gif
post #9422 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Edited my original comment about the Oblivion mix being low level. It was due to settings FUBAR in my AVR. The mix level is perfectly fine.


That is good to hear and thanks for the update. I actually thought about your comment last night needing to turn this one up 7-8db and I kept thinking there must be something off with your setup because the volume was great at my normal reference level watch. Bumping up 8db would have trashed me, my speakers or both. tongue.gif

Fantastic overall audio on Oblivion I thought with great use of the low end for both effects and score/music. Very entertaining LFE ride IMO. cool.gif

Throw in jaw dropping PQ/visuals and a good movie (IMO) and this is one awesome HT experience overall! Also, finally an extra that I will use as far as the isolated score which sounds amazing sitting in the sweet spot of your HT. I am looking forward to listening to this cranked up with the video OFF and just soaking it all up.
post #9423 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

That is good to hear and thanks for the update. I actually thought about your comment last night needing to turn this one up 7-8db and I kept thinking there must be something off with your setup because the volume was great at my normal reference level watch. Bumping up 8db would have trashed me, my speakers or both. tongue.gif

Fantastic overall audio on Oblivion I thought with great use of the low end for both effects and score/music. Very entertaining LFE ride IMO. cool.gif

Throw in jaw dropping PQ/visuals and a good movie (IMO) and this is one awesome HT experience overall! Also, finally an extra that I will use as far as the isolated score which sounds amazing sitting in the sweet spot of your HT. I am looking forward to listening to this cranked up with the video OFF and just soaking it all up.

This is good to hear, can't wait till Saturday smile.gif
post #9424 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Edited my original comment about the Oblivion mix being low level. It was due to settings FUBAR in my AVR. The mix level is perfectly fine.

What a relief. I plan on screening this for a movie night w/ some avs buddies of mine in a week and a half, and I was worried that the film's low volume would screw with *actual reference* level. Glad to hear its properly leveled.
post #9425 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

What a relief. I plan on screening this for a movie night w/ some avs buddies of mine in a week and a half, and I was worried that the film's low volume would screw with *actual reference* level. Glad to hear its properly leveled.

BrolicBeast I'm sure a low level wouldn't be too bothersome for you with the reserves you have on tap biggrin.gif but all jokes aside the proper levels are reassuring when gauging a, what I hope to be, reference soundtrack wink.gif
post #9426 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

BrolicBeast I'm sure a low level wouldn't be too bothersome for you with the reserves you have on tap biggrin.gif but all jokes aside the proper levels are reassuring when gauging a, what I hope to be, reference soundtrack wink.gif


Lol...smile.gif I hope it's a reference quality track.....it was rated very high by AVS Official Reviews, and I usually agree with Ralph's ratings. I'm looking forward to this one.

Can anyone share how bass is measured for this thread. I'd like to perform these bass measurents too.
post #9427 of 16108
Based on the errant early reports of Oblivion lacking in level and ULF, I bumped the sub level to watch this one.

The first landing scene of the bladeless chopper had me scrambling for the remote to TURN IT DOWN!

This flick is low-end-LOADED. Full BW, balls-to-the-walls bass. IMHO, it's the bass flick of the year and, overall, rivals any Movie With Bass.

I didn't rent this one, went straight to purchase on BR, which may have some bearing on SQ as many in the past have. I don't know, but this is a must have for the collection and is chock full of demo-worthy scenes.

The sound re-recordist, Gary Rizzo, has street creed: Tron, Percy Jackson, Dark Knight and How To Train Your Dragon... need we look further.

Here's a teaser, and look for the full spread post at DB later today...

[/URL

FWIW, the Bosso recommendation to low-enders is RUN, don't walk.
post #9428 of 16108
Agreed, bosso, it's really good! It leaves a little on the table compared to the top dogs, but it's a good flick with great visuals and a really good mix. Definitely a "Buy" recommendation. smile.gif
post #9429 of 16108
^^^ Wow that’s great to hear, I have been wondering whether to buy it or rent it.. Thanks bosso, buy it is then.
post #9430 of 16108
For me it was better the second time watching it moviewise. The sound track was pretty decent and no complaints. Maybe people that post a sound review should post their subs as well.

2x HSU 15H.
post #9431 of 16108
I watched it last night and enjoyed it much more on second viewing(first in theater). I too thought it had some nice moments but left some on the table to the big boys. I have dual JTR Orbit Shifters. The most stand out bass moment for me, in my system, was the slo-mo frequency sweep when his moto winch line was cut and he fell.
post #9432 of 16108
so a bunch of graphs of oblivion show that the bass is low SPL, then bosso gets the real blu-ray and it's unreal. what were the original graphs from?
post #9433 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Agreed, bosso, it's really good! It leaves a little on the table compared to the top dogs, but it's a good flick with great visuals and a really good mix. Definitely a "Buy" recommendation. smile.gif

That was my feeling as well as far as the bass goes. Excellent, but there are others I would put above it. Overall though a fantastic LFE/audio ride! I would go 4 or maybe 4.5 for LFE, but not a 5 for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

I watched it last night and enjoyed it much more on second viewing(first in theater). I too thought it had some nice moments but left some on the table to the big boys. I have dual JTR Orbit Shifters. The most stand out bass moment for me, in my system, was the slo-mo frequency sweep when his moto winch line was cut and he fell.

That was a GREAT moment! cool.gif Agree with your post in general. Not up to par with the big boys overall, but still a fantastic LFE track.
Edited by Toe - 8/8/13 at 9:06am
post #9434 of 16108
I echo much of the comments here--better on second (and 3rd) viewing. Has some really nice moments, but overall not at the level of the big boys. That said, I really enjoyed it! The bass execution was outstanding and the PQ was off the charts. Add a unique premise and it's already one of my favorites to experience on my system.
post #9435 of 16108
I bought Oblivion yesterday, I got it in the steel case. I only watched 10 minutes of it and started to feel my eyes starting to shut, so I shut it off and I will continue later on this evening, however in that 10 minutes, I was hearing some great bass. I was a little shocked, because everyone was saying there was no bass?
Edited by Reefdvr27 - 8/8/13 at 2:46pm
post #9436 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I bought Oblivion yesterday, I got it in the steel case. I only watched 10 minutes of it and started to feel eyes starting to shut, so I shut it off and I will continue later on this evening, however in that 10 minutes, I was hearing some great bass. I was a little shocked, because everyone was saying there was no bass?

I think they were getting the original graphs off of either mkv rips or foreign blu-rays.

I just bought oblivion in the steel case today too smile.gif
post #9437 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

I think they were getting the original graphs off of either mkv rips or foreign blu-rays.

I just bought oblivion in the steel case today too smile.gif



Tell them to stay off the torrent sites eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
post #9438 of 16108
In my experience, it's very rare that you find an MKV ripped from a blu ray that has bass response different than the original. 9 is one that comes to mind. YMMV.
post #9439 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

In my experience, it's very rare that you find an MKV ripped from a blu ray that has bass response different than the original. 9 is one that comes to mind. YMMV.

I rip all of my BDs to a NAS - however I use M2TS (passthrough). Never had one sound or look anything other than like its shinney disk. Like mentioned above, maybe they acquired their version via torrent.
post #9440 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View PostI am a bit surprised more here don't listen at reference. I watch all first run movies at -1 from reference and while this is certainly loud, I don't find it uncomfortable, but then again maybe I am going deaf after doing this for years now! tongue.gif

Whoa how far do you sit and how big is your room at 8.5 feet from the 800Diamonds, that would destroy my ears

post #9441 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

Based on the errant early reports of Oblivion lacking in level and ULF, I bumped the sub level to watch this one.

The first landing scene of the bladeless chopper had me scrambling for the remote to TURN IT DOWN!

This flick is low-end-LOADED. Full BW, balls-to-the-walls bass. IMHO, it's the bass flick of the year and, overall, rivals any Movie With Bass.

I didn't rent this one, went straight to purchase on BR, which may have some bearing on SQ as many in the past have. I don't know, but this is a must have for the collection and is chock full of demo-worthy scenes.

The sound re-recordist, Gary Rizzo, has street creed: Tron, Percy Jackson, Dark Knight and How To Train Your Dragon... need we look further.

Here's a teaser, and look for the full spread post at DB later today...

[/URL

FWIW, the Bosso recommendation to low-enders is RUN, don't walk.


eek.gif Oh! that's just great, I mean really! I said I was saving this for Saturday night ( got it tuesday) but noooo! :rolleyes:you have to post this? If I can't resist the temptation to watch it tonite you owe me a movie for saturday night biggrin.gif

Thanks!
post #9442 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Whoa how far do you sit and how big is your room at 8.5 feet from the 800Diamonds, that would destroy my ears

it doesn't matter where you are, how far you sit, how big your room is, what amplifier you have, or what speakers you have. REFERENCE LEVEL is at 0 dB, which gives 105 dB peaks from the speakers and 115 dB peaks from the subwoofers. It is always the same volume at the measured position (listening postiion) -1 is 1 dB below reference, -10 is 10 dB below reference. the entire point of it being reference is that it is the same SPL for EVERYONE. If it's not for you, you need to calibrate your system.
post #9443 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

so a bunch of graphs of oblivion show that the bass is low SPL, then bosso posts the real blu-ray and it's unreal. what were the original graphs from?

I posted the full BR digital measurements and SpecLab graphs a couple of days ago on the other site, including a teaser here. I think the rips out there must have neutered the bass, as I previously mentioned.

Oblivion's good, but not insane by any means. Olympus Has Fallen & Oz are better bass mixes by all objective criteria, but worse movies.

Also, not all graphs are created equally. People can use various settings to make them appear much softer or hotter than they actually are. The actual levels as shown in SL at it's default settings make all mixes look low volume and boring. ;-)
post #9444 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1234 View Post

Oblivion was excellent. Sound design was wonderful and no harshness anywhere so I could easily listen to it at reference. Bass suited the movie well but didnt really go very low or loud.
Movie itself was better then I expected as well.
4 solid stars.

Nailed it smile.gif
post #9445 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

Based on the errant early reports of Oblivion lacking in level and ULF, I bumped the sub level to watch this one.

The first landing scene of the bladeless chopper had me scrambling for the remote to TURN IT DOWN!

This flick is low-end-LOADED. Full BW, balls-to-the-walls bass. IMHO, it's the bass flick of the year and, overall, rivals any Movie With Bass.

I didn't rent this one, went straight to purchase on BR, which may have some bearing on SQ as many in the past have. I don't know, but this is a must have for the collection and is chock full of demo-worthy scenes.

The sound re-recordist, Gary Rizzo, has street creed: Tron, Percy Jackson, Dark Knight and How To Train Your Dragon... need we look further.

Here's a teaser, and look for the full spread post at DB later today...

[/URL

FWIW, the Bosso recommendation to low-enders is RUN, don't walk.
Thanks for the data. Extension all the way down to 3-4Hz with a hard filter. Can't ask for better.extension than that. Glad to see some of these guys are still putting out the goods.

Although I didn't think it was quite up there with the best of the best, I was definitely surprised by the bass content based on the early comments here.

It had me wondering the same thing, "are these early comments from neutered pirate copies? Or do the commenter's systems roll off too high?", because I felt decent low end in many scenes that may or may not have included enough in the 40+Hz range for the non low-enders to feel it much.

Overall, a pretty good movie, with great visuals. Two Tom Cruise movies on the bass list now. WOTW is still better for bassheads, but I think Oblivion might be the better movie.


Max
post #9446 of 16108
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Whoa how far do you sit and how big is your room at 8.5 feet from the 800Diamonds, that would destroy my ears


JWagstaff's post above answers your question. smile.gif
post #9447 of 16108
Oblivion

























djbluemax,

I doubt there's any filtering @ 4 Hz. I mic the system from near the LP and that's where my system/measurement rig rolls off. If someone does corrected digital caps I'll bet the content is all the way in a few scenes.

The sound design in this movie was excellent for me. I believe more than a couple views is required to really catch and appreciate all of the unique sound effects, which are found nearly in every scene in the movie.

I've graphed quite a few flicks and every one by watching at 0dBRL and mic'ing the result at or near the main seat. Overall, I put this one up there with any of them.

In any case, here's a good chunk of the scenes with low end for your viewing pleasure...

Bosso
post #9448 of 16108
Bosso, nice! Thanks for the graphs. Looks like there are quite a few scenes with a lot less over 50Hz than there is under 50Hz, which confirms the impressions I had while watching it.


Max
post #9449 of 16108
bosso,

I think your settings on SL are too hot. For comparison's sake, I've highlighted the hottest part of that final explosion in your last graph that shows as 0dBfs in your pic, and graphed it direct from the disc with 0 offset in the below pic:



Looks to me like you're about +16 over what's on the disc. Oblivion just ain't that hot, and certainly not purples hot in every scene or anywhere close to it. Since we've briefly discussed this before on the D-B.com forums, I think it must happen through a combination of running your system hot and using too much offset.

Every one of my caps are digital direct from the disc, but I do a +9 offset to make them more viewable (not including the one in this post, which is 0 offset, exact bit-for-bit what's on the BR disc). More offset makes movies look more impressive, but kinda misrepresents what's actually on the disc, ya know?
post #9450 of 16108
wait so are bossobass's measurements with a microphone with his subs turned up?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts