or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › Jaws 3D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jaws 3D

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I recently downloaded a small snippet from youtube of Jaws 3D. One particular scene really popped for me. It was the severed arm floating out of the screen.
My "3D Chair" is around 4 meters from my tv, great for in screen depth and pop.

Out of all the 3D HD blurays i have, nothing has even come close to what i saw with this J3D segment for out of screen effect. I can literally reach out at arms length and touch the splintered bones. That means the pop effect is floating 3/4 the way across my lounge. I actually paused it for 10 or so minutes just to check it out.

I admit its not HD. Its pixelated, fuzzy and very cheesy, but its the first thing i show my friends to demonstrate the 3D tv. I was lucky enough to see this at the cinema a few times in the 80s, and i thought i may have imagined how much out of screen effect there was........but i didn't!

Why on earth do movies in this new generation of 3D films fail in out of screen effects? Either it doesn't pop enough, or anything that does pop breaks the rules, i.e touches the borders or comes out of screen way to fast to focus on.

80s 3D is king for pop, be it cheesy or not.
post #2 of 12
Yes, for the most part the 1980's wave were filled with off the screen gimmick shots. If you like that sort of thing, you'll especially want to seek out "Comin at Ya!" (being planned for to Blu-ray 3D after a theatrical re-issue) and "Treasure of the Four Crowns".
post #3 of 12
Friday the 13th is great for pop out too. I watched an old Field Sequential version a few months ago and actually found myself ducking during a few scenes!
post #4 of 12
It would be cool to get these using Blu-ray 3D!
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtipvortex View Post

I recently downloaded a small snippet from youtube of Jaws 3D. One particular scene really popped for me. It was the severed arm floating out of the screen.
My "3D Chair" is around 4 meters from my tv, great for in screen depth and pop.

Out of all the 3D HD blurays i have, nothing has even come close to what i saw with this J3D segment for out of screen effect. I can literally reach out at arms length and touch the splintered bones. That means the pop effect is floating 3/4 the way across my lounge. I actually paused it for 10 or so minutes just to check it out.

I admit its not HD. Its pixelated, fuzzy and very cheesy, but its the first thing i show my friends to demonstrate the 3D tv. I was lucky enough to see this at the cinema a few times in the 80s, and i thought i may have imagined how much out of screen effect there was........but i didn't!

Why on earth do movies in this new generation of 3D films fail in out of screen effects? Either it doesn't pop enough, or anything that does pop breaks the rules, i.e touches the borders or comes out of screen way to fast to focus on.

80s 3D is king for pop, be it cheesy or not.

Good points. If stuff "coming at ya" comes too fast there is just a slight notice but when they do it slow it really takes effect. I'd like to see some more slow stuff that doesn't seem too deliberate but is natural from a stand point of how it fits the action/story.
post #6 of 12
I remember back when I actually saw this movie in the theater in 3D there was a coming soon preview for an apocalyptic-like 3D film called Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn. There was a slow-mo scene where a spiked ball of some sort is hurled at the screen. I was 10 at the time, and I still remember it clearly because it scared the living crap out of me! Now that is how pop-out is done.
post #7 of 12
Indeed, METALSTORM has some great gimmicks (and pretty good stereoscopic photography in general). My favorite scene is the robotic arm extending into the audience followed by spewing green acid. I've watched my field sequential 3-D version a dozen times over the years.
post #8 of 12
Here's the trailer for METALSTORM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DVWY...eature=related

The trailer was originally shown in 3-D before the start of JAWS 3-D.
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

Yes, for the most part the 1980's wave were filled with off the screen gimmick shots. If you like that sort of thing, you'll especially want to seek out "Comin at Ya!" (being planned for to Blu-ray 3D after a theatrical re-issue) and "Treasure of the Four Crowns".

Yes. I have collected all of the VHD bootlegs over the years and have both those titles. Ive found that i have extreme crosstalk on those particular ones.

Unfortunately i only have an old shutter system for these, tones of flicker. Im guessing there is a way to watch them all on the new tv to reduce that, but i think the resolution might be bad.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post

Here's the trailer for METALSTORM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DVWY...eature=related

The trailer was originally shown in 3-D before the start of JAWS 3-D.

Was lucky enough to see this at the cinema in 3D. It looked great.
post #11 of 12
I saw jaws 3D in a theater too but I also watched it recently and it's so bad it's sad.
post #12 of 12
All three movies being discussed are 2.35 AR using the twin lens, beam splitter, single strip camera to capture the 3D images. Each 35mm frame holds both the L & R eye images.

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn

Comin at Ya!

Jaws 3D


Technicolor now makes availablle to non 3D Digital Cinemas, a method to present 3D (seperate L & R images) by using the old single strip/single projector 35mm presentation method and passive polarized glasses:

http://www.technicolor.com/en/hi/3d/...in-the-theatre
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Content
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › Jaws 3D