or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 542

post #16231 of 18969
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMarcus View Post

Hi.
Just got my ave-2312CI! Very cool
Couple of questions.
1) THe manual says not to connect an iPad via USB, but the literature for the receiver says it can play a directly connected iPad. Is it OK to connect an iPad to it?
2) Where do I enter my username and password for Pandora?
Thanks,
Allan

The iPad works on the XX13 models so give it a try on your 2312CI. It will either work or it won't.
post #16232 of 18969
Is this to get the audio only or audio+video from the iPad to the screen?

Airplay is pretty good for audio-only connection.

Apple sells cables that'll output both via HDMI. It is not cheap, though frown.gif
post #16233 of 18969
^^^

not gonna get video that way... you need to use the hdmi cable for that to work....
post #16234 of 18969
Just wanted to find out that attaching the iPad via USB will only get you audio.

Airplay is preferred way to do that, IMO.
post #16235 of 18969
I've just gotten a Denon 1612 and I'm having trouble getting the ARC to work with my LG CS570. I have done my best to follow all of the steps in the troubleshooting guide. Hopefully I'm missing something simple, but I can't see what it is.

I have HDMI control on and audio out set to amp. The Simplink control from the TV appears to be working, which is to say that the HT speakers appear in the Simplink menu, the TV volume control changes the volume on the AVR, and turning the TV power off turns off the AVR, but I don't get any sound. The AVR also comes on in TV mode as it should.

The one thing that seems funny to me is in the setup wizard for TV the only option I could select for audio connection was optical cable. Then looking at the Input Assign screen, TV shows "---" under HDMI and "OPT" under Digital. Changing the Digital option to "None" also does not fix the problem.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.
post #16236 of 18969
Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad View Post

Is this to get the audio only or audio+video from the iPad to the screen?
Airplay is pretty good for audio-only connection.
Apple sells cables that'll output both via HDMI. It is not cheap, though frown.gif

Apple tv will let you send audio and video wireless. Very convenient and cool and relatively inexpensive.
post #16237 of 18969
Quote:
Originally Posted by uolmir View Post

I've just gotten a Denon 1612 and I'm having trouble getting the ARC to work with my LG CS570. I have done my best to follow all of the steps in the troubleshooting guide. Hopefully I'm missing something simple, but I can't see what it is.
I have HDMI control on and audio out set to amp. The Simplink control from the TV appears to be working, which is to say that the HT speakers appear in the Simplink menu, the TV volume control changes the volume on the AVR, and turning the TV power off turns off the AVR, but I don't get any sound. The AVR also comes on in TV mode as it should.
The one thing that seems funny to me is in the setup wizard for TV the only option I could select for audio connection was optical cable. Then looking at the Input Assign screen, TV shows "---" under HDMI and "OPT" under Digital. Changing the Digital option to "None" also does not fix the problem.
Any help would certainly be appreciated.

I've also tried each of the available HDMI inputs on the TV with the same outcome. The behavior is also the same whether I am watching the coax TV signal or an HDMI source through the TV. Finally, this is definitely an ARC problem, as everything works normally watching an HDMI source through the AVR.
post #16238 of 18969
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

When using the Zone 2 speakers setup as "Front B", the speakers mirror what is played on the Front A speakers, so volume control would be the same for both Zones in this instance, noting that "Front B" setting does not allow for independent source or volume.

This is helpful and what I was looking for...the only issue is that switching from A to B to A+B is nested all the way in the menus.

Is there an easy way, either on the remote or through a Quick Input setting or something like that, to set whether it splaying A,B or A+B without having to drill all the way down in the menus?

Thanks!
post #16239 of 18969
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
yes, you could use a hdmi splitter... are the video capabilities of both the tv and the pj the same?

I got a Rocketfish splitter at Best Buy and all works great. Thanks for your help.

It is amazing what you can put together today for cheap money. I have an older humongous Sony 1252 3 tube CRT with a Faraudja LD100 that I bought used 10+ years ago up at my cottage. It literally cost more to have that old system cleaned/focused than it does to buy this new stuff that just works out of the box.
post #16240 of 18969
^^^

cool... glad to help... smile.gif

you got that right... for all the griping people do about "they don't build stuff like in the old days", we live in a world today where joe q. public can buy really decent equipment for a very reasonable price...

and that's not even considering the boon that automated room correction routines have been to consumers...

and how internet direct companies have brought a bunch more speaker/subwoofer options to the market...

we live in good times... smile.gif
post #16241 of 18969
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post

This is helpful and what I was looking for...the only issue is that switching from A to B to A+B is nested all the way in the menus.
Is there an easy way, either on the remote or through a Quick Input setting or something like that, to set whether it splaying A,B or A+B without having to drill all the way down in the menus?
Thanks!

Not with the stock remote, no, however, you may be able to do it using a Harmony remote with one of the older models that had that capability built in.
post #16242 of 18969
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
...
and how internet direct companies have brought a bunch more speaker/subwoofer options to the market...
we live in good times... smile.gif
Yep.. Love my Onix Rocket ELT 5.1 system that I bought from AVS123 years ago. Of course now they are out of business.... wink.gif
post #16243 of 18969
Quote:
Originally Posted by uolmir View Post

I've just gotten a Denon 1612 and I'm having trouble getting the ARC to work with my LG CS570. I have done my best to follow all of the steps in the troubleshooting guide. Hopefully I'm missing something simple, but I can't see what it is.
I have HDMI control on and audio out set to amp. The Simplink control from the TV appears to be working, which is to say that the HT speakers appear in the Simplink menu, the TV volume control changes the volume on the AVR, and turning the TV power off turns off the AVR, but I don't get any sound. The AVR also comes on in TV mode as it should.
The one thing that seems funny to me is in the setup wizard for TV the only option I could select for audio connection was optical cable. Then looking at the Input Assign screen, TV shows "---" under HDMI and "OPT" under Digital. Changing the Digital option to "None" also does not fix the problem.
Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Unfortunately, the ARC feature doesn't work with every device. Try doing the HDMI reset procedure listed in post #3 below and see if that resolves the issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L11
post #16244 of 18969
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Unfortunately, the ARC feature doesn't work with every device. Try doing the HDMI reset procedure listed in post #3 below and see if that resolves the issue.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L11

Thanks for the reply. No luck with that. Your signature reminds me that it couldn't hurt to reset the microprocessor on the unit.

... That didn't seem to help either. I wanted to rerun Audyssey anyway, so nothing lost.
Edited by uolmir - 11/25/12 at 8:50pm
post #16245 of 18969
Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad View Post

Is this to get the audio only or audio+video from the iPad to the screen?
Airplay is pretty good for audio-only connection.
Apple sells cables that'll output both via HDMI. It is not cheap, though frown.gif

Thanks to all that answered. I just didn't want to blow up my iPad :-)

So, I tried my iPhone and iPad and both worked.

As for AirPlay, that is easy, but it will drain your battery if you use it all day.
Edited by AllanMarcus - 11/25/12 at 9:25pm
post #16246 of 18969

I failed to say at the time that I'd tried all of this, all without success. I then called Denon, explained to them all the symptoms, and they told me it would have to be taken to a service center. That's fine, but it turns out there is only one left in the Bay Area, and when I called there were two things that came out: first, an exasperated, "Did they give you any clue what I should check?" half-rhetorical question; the second was that, because the only other Denon service center in the Bay Area had closed, his backlog was now standing at a month or better. Further, he was not willing to let me bring it in, have it diagnosed, then take it home while we waited for ordered parts to arrive. That left me with a lot of options: leave it there for a month or better; buy another unit to give me something in the house while I tread water (not financially an option); send it to LA to see if it could be serviced faster there; pound sand (i.e. put up with it). I picked the last option while I pondered the others - I figured there would come a point where the aggravation level would sooner or later decide whether or not I decided to do anything.

The bug is such that it's clear that memory gets scrozzled when the condition arises: IF I could get other things to come up when it got in this weird "busy" state, I would find various other functions either non-op, or would find strange things on the GUI, such as bringing up the AppleTV and having it overlaid with a reduced "image" of the NET/USB screen ghosted on top of the ATV menu. Sometimes, I could get the unit into a mode, but you couldn't adjust volume, settings, etc - could only turn it on and off. Clearly, some wild write took place that would randomly hammer the system in unpredictable ways.

I finally got a clue as to what was happening one time when I watched a BD movie, turned the unit off, and my Harmony remote somehow got out of sync with the system (gee, there's something that happens more than it ought to!). When I turned the system back on to watch the DVR, "something" wanted to fire the BD player back up and switch over that way. Aha! A clue!

Way back when I first got most of the equipment in the house, but before I bought the Denon, I had the DVR and BD cabled directly into the TV, and I'd turned on CEC to try to make a comfortable setup. It didn't work then, and I'd forgotten about it. The setting was still on. Somehow, CEC set on the TV is blowing the 2112's mind. No, that's not a correct setup, but the Denon shouldn't be making a wild write in memory when it happens. There is some bad code somewhere in the firmware, though who's to say where and what triggers it with all the combinations that must exist out there in the world, including bad implementations of CEC on the other component side. I'm going to look for an email address to submit this to Denon so that they can consider it in a future firmware upgrade. Yes, the problem was self-inflicted, but this is the kind of thing from which the software should protect itself.

To quote a local band, "what a long strange trip it's been."
post #16247 of 18969
Hi,

I got my AVR 3312 today and i got it up and running, everything works internet radio, airplay.....exept updating the firmware. So i do have internet on this AVR but im not able of updating the Firmware. Like many before me posted i also dont get past the " please wait....authenticating"

now what i did to solve this:

- connect the AVR to the router while it was on, no update..
- AVR on standby then took the powerplug out the wall, did the same with the router. started up the router after 10 minutes then started up the AVR...no update
- turned off UPnP in my router settings....no update
- got rid of the router and connected the AVR directly to the modem (doesnt have a build in router) stil......no update.

Does someone know what I can do next? Im out of options here. Since its not even a router issue im afraid i can never update this AVR.

Would it hepl to contact Denon? I live in the Netherlands. They dont even have a phonenumber on their duch version website....not even an emailadress. :S

Thanks for the help!
post #16248 of 18969
@jdsmoothie...thanks, on your note I checked with BB's nearby unfortunately none of them have it in stock. I will explore the 2112 option
post #16249 of 18969
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ9 View Post

I failed to say at the time that I'd tried all of this, all without success. I then called Denon, explained to them all the symptoms, and they told me it would have to be taken to a service center. That's fine, but it turns out there is only one left in the Bay Area, and when I called there were two things that came out: first, an exasperated, "Did they give you any clue what I should check?" half-rhetorical question; the second was that, because the only other Denon service center in the Bay Area had closed, his backlog was now standing at a month or better. Further, he was not willing to let me bring it in, have it diagnosed, then take it home while we waited for ordered parts to arrive. That left me with a lot of options: leave it there for a month or better; buy another unit to give me something in the house while I tread water (not financially an option); send it to LA to see if it could be serviced faster there; pound sand (i.e. put up with it). I picked the last option while I pondered the others - I figured there would come a point where the aggravation level would sooner or later decide whether or not I decided to do anything.
The bug is such that it's clear that memory gets scrozzled when the condition arises: IF I could get other things to come up when it got in this weird "busy" state, I would find various other functions either non-op, or would find strange things on the GUI, such as bringing up the AppleTV and having it overlaid with a reduced "image" of the NET/USB screen ghosted on top of the ATV menu. Sometimes, I could get the unit into a mode, but you couldn't adjust volume, settings, etc - could only turn it on and off. Clearly, some wild write took place that would randomly hammer the system in unpredictable ways.
I finally got a clue as to what was happening one time when I watched a BD movie, turned the unit off, and my Harmony remote somehow got out of sync with the system (gee, there's something that happens more than it ought to!). When I turned the system back on to watch the DVR, "something" wanted to fire the BD player back up and switch over that way. Aha! A clue!
Way back when I first got most of the equipment in the house, but before I bought the Denon, I had the DVR and BD cabled directly into the TV, and I'd turned on CEC to try to make a comfortable setup. It didn't work then, and I'd forgotten about it. The setting was still on. Somehow, CEC set on the TV is blowing the 2112's mind. No, that's not a correct setup, but the Denon shouldn't be making a wild write in memory when it happens. There is some bad code somewhere in the firmware, though who's to say where and what triggers it with all the combinations that must exist out there in the world, including bad implementations of CEC on the other component side. I'm going to look for an email address to submit this to Denon so that they can consider it in a future firmware upgrade. Yes, the problem was self-inflicted, but this is the kind of thing from which the software should protect itself.
To quote a local band, "what a long strange trip it's been."

Try a couple of microprocessor resets.
post #16250 of 18969
Thanks for the great info batpig and other contributors. Came into the thread looking for an answer for my Xbox sound dilemma...

I have a Denon AVR-1312 as my beginner AVR attached to a 5.1 setup, but I also have an original Xbox 360 that only has the component video output option (with the proprietary connector for the Xbox side).
When I bought the Denon, I didn't even think to look at the input options as I had thought components were standard, but didn't turn out to be the case. I have my Xbox hooked up to the TV directly, which has less than stellar sound.

Is the component-to-HDMI converter linked in the original thread worth the $38 from Monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=5971&seq=1&format=2)?
Would video quality suffer at all?
post #16251 of 18969
is it possible on denon avr 1712 to play hdmi input source (to TV) and optical input source simultaneously?
post #16252 of 18969
Hello,

I have a 2112CI and want to set it up for ARC with a new sharp flat screen being deliver in a few days. My question is, knowing there are HDMI handshake issues with the Denon series of AVR's (I'm sure with other units as well), does connectivity improve or require all components to be connected with 1.4 HDMI cables or just the connection from the TV to the AVR?

I have plenty of 1.3 HDMI cables and only one 1.4 HDMI cable and wanted to know if I should or need to upgrade my other cables.

Thanks.
post #16253 of 18969
^^^

a) there is no such thing as a "hdmi 1.4" cable... there are now 4 types... "standard speed" and "high speed", and a "with ethernet" flavor of each...

b) if your existing cables "work" now, there should be no obvious reason to think they would not "work" with your new equipment...

c) "handshake issues" aren't attributable to cables... cables are totally passive in the handshake process... they either are capable of transmitting the data over the distance required, or they aren't... "handshake issues" are almost always attributable to the source and sink (and on very rare occasions the repeater), but never to the cable...

hth...
post #16254 of 18969
Thank you for the quick response and the clarification on both the cables and handshake issue. I'm a bit of a beginner at this and appreciate the feedback. I don't have a great distance to cover, less than 10 feet so I assume that means I don't need the high speed.

I will stick with what I have as is sounds like I should be good to go.
post #16255 of 18969

If want to watch 3D, you will have to have a 1.4A HDMI cable.  Also, 1.4 provides ethernet cababilities.   However, if you have no need for these, 1.3 is just fine.

post #16256 of 18969
^^^

please read the post i just made again...

if the cable will pass 1080p/60, it'll pass any flavor of 3d available today...

there are no devices that have implemented ethernet over hdmi... so that is not a concern...
post #16257 of 18969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymd74 View Post

Thank you for the quick response and the clarification on both the cables and handshake issue. I'm a bit of a beginner at this and appreciate the feedback. I don't have a great distance to cover, less than 10 feet so I assume that means I don't need the high speed.

I will stick with what I have as is sounds like I should be good to go.

yup... use what you have until they are proven to "not work"... smile.gif
post #16258 of 18969
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDaddy View Post

I have a 3312ci and have been having HDMI handshake issues with both the DVD and the cable box, which are the only two devices attached via HDMI. Audio would not play from receiver. Unplugging everything and waiting does work but it is generally short lived so I decided yesterday to do a microprocessor reset. Everything seemed to be ok until I went to turn off the receiver last night (with remote), it actually turned off, no standby mode which meant no passthrough for video/audio to the tv. I turned it on and off several times with same result. It was late and I decided I would wait to look at it until this evening. A couple of questions:
When I did the MP reset, the display was blinking right off the bat, according to the instructions it said to release the 2 buttons when display is blinking about every second. I held the buttons for probalby 30 seconds and did not see any variation in blink speed. Could I have not held them in long enough? How long does it generally take to do a full reset?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Update: I performed the microprocessor reset 3 more times and it would still cut off instead of going into standby, from remote and the unit's power button. I remembered that on the GUI on my latptop it had a button for standby. I turned receiver on and opened up the GUI on my laptop, clicked on the standby mode button and receiver did go into stanby. At this point I was able to successfully power on and go into standby from both receiver and the remote. Everything else appears to be working ok for now, continuing to monitor. Very strange, but at least it's working now.
post #16259 of 18969
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumX View Post

Thanks for the great info batpig and other contributors. Came into the thread looking for an answer for my Xbox sound dilemma...

I have a Denon AVR-1312 as my beginner AVR attached to a 5.1 setup, but I also have an original Xbox 360 that only has the component video output option (with the proprietary connector for the Xbox side).
When I bought the Denon, I didn't even think to look at the input options as I had thought components were standard, but didn't turn out to be the case. I have my Xbox hooked up to the TV directly, which has less than stellar sound.

Is the component-to-HDMI converter linked in the original thread worth the $38 from Monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=5971&seq=1&format=2)?
Would video quality suffer at all?

well, based on the reviews at Monoprice it seems to be well liked.

that said, you don't HAVE TO run the video through the receiver. Why not just leave the component video hooked up straight to the TV and then just run a digital optical cable to the receiver for audio?
post #16260 of 18969
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth3si View Post

is it possible on denon avr 1712 to play hdmi input source (to TV) and optical input source simultaneously?

yes -- in order to "mix" the two inputs, just make sure both the HDMI input you are using and the optical audio input are assigned to the same source "name" (e.g., "DVD" or "BD" or "GAME1" etc). Then, set the "Input Mode" setting to "Digital" which will override the HDMI audio and force the audio from the digital audio (optical) input.

all this is done in the "Input Setup" menu in the GUI:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread