or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 582

post #17431 of 18955
There's certainly always a chance, although it has been on clearance now for almost a year. Just depends on whether any resellers that still have the unit want to clear it out to make room for the new 2013 models.
post #17432 of 18955
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANTI5 View Post

Anyone think the 1712 will see a price drop soon?
I just picked up a 1912 for $300. Didn't really need a third AVR but couldn't pass up at these prices...
* 3312 for $700
* 2112 for $500
* 1912 for $300
... I think I'm done now!
post #17433 of 18955
I assume these prices were new.

Lets see $1100 for my 4311ci new
3312ci = 463 refurb
2112ci refurb 290 something for DAD

I guess those are good deals. I sure do like the xx12 series better than the xx13 series as far as looks.

As long as you feel you got a good deal i suppose is what matters.
post #17434 of 18955
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

I just picked up a 1912 for $300. Didn't really need a third AVR but couldn't pass up at these prices...
* 3312 for $700
* 2112 for $500
* 1912 for $300
... I think I'm done now!

That's a good deal...I paid 300 hundred for my 1912 two years ago but it was a refurb unit.
post #17435 of 18955
Had the avr1912 for a little over a year with no problems until last night. Playing Xbox on a Samsung tv when out of the blue the screen went blank and said check signal cable. Could still hear the sound but no video. Would not work either for when I switched to my directv receiver, still had sound but no video. When I checked the inputs on the tv directly it did not recognize the receiver. I'm going to try a new hdmi cable today but worried its the receiver. It's in a cabinet that will be a huge pain to unconnect the whole thing. Any ideas?
post #17436 of 18955
Unplug the power for a few min and try it.
post #17437 of 18955
OK, so after a year and a half, finally got around to connecting my cable box via COMPONENT and Coax to my 3312; get audio, but NO VIDEO. Have made the correct assignments and tried both component inputs with the same results....

ideas? rolleyes.gif
post #17438 of 18955
Ensure "Video Convert" is set to ON and the "i/p Scaler" setting is set to "Analog" for that component video source. Also try unplugging the AVR for a few minutes.
post #17439 of 18955
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1741 View Post

Had the avr1912 for a little over a year with no problems until last night. Playing Xbox on a Samsung tv when out of the blue the screen went blank and said check signal cable. Could still hear the sound but no video. Would not work either for when I switched to my directv receiver, still had sound but no video. When I checked the inputs on the tv directly it did not recognize the receiver. I'm going to try a new hdmi cable today but worried its the receiver. It's in a cabinet that will be a huge pain to unconnect the whole thing. Any ideas?

Sounds like the HDMI board may have gone bad on you. First try unplugging it and then try a microprocessor reset as noted in post #5 of this thread.
post #17440 of 18955
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Ensure "Video Convert" is set to ON and the "i/p Scaler" setting is set to "Analog" for that component video source. Also try unplugging the AVR for a few minutes.

1st 2 already done...so now, #3 UNPLUG AVR a few minutes.
post #17441 of 18955
So that worked by powering it down. Thanks so much. In your experience is this the beginning of the end and a temporary fix? Or was this just a fluke. Prefer to go ahead and deal with it if so and handle while in warranty.
post #17442 of 18955
that did NOT work; in fact, lost audio
post #17443 of 18955
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1741 View Post

So that worked by powering it down. Thanks so much. In your experience is this the beginning of the end and a temporary fix? Or was this just a fluke. Prefer to go ahead and deal with it if so and handle while in warranty.

Just a fluke. Happed to me a few times on all three of my Denon xx12's. Happened last week on the 3312. These get bugged sometimes.
post #17444 of 18955
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1741 View Post

So that worked by powering it down. Thanks so much. In your experience is this the beginning of the end and a temporary fix? Or was this just a fluke. Prefer to go ahead and deal with it if so and handle while in warranty.

Hard to say as not a common issue. The 1912 has a 2 year mfr's warranty if purchased from an authorized reseller and some credit card issuers will add a 3rd year (Amex will for sure) so you've still got time left.
post #17445 of 18955
I gave up; listening to Radio Game Broadcast on ZONE 2 (Surround Back Speakers) and Game on Main Zone 5.2; have 3311 Remote set to ZONE 2, and 3312 Remote set to Main Zone. That's prolly a better solution for Football Season anyway. wink.gifcool.gifbiggrin.gif
post #17446 of 18955
'course, when I wanted my iPhone app to show only the MAIN ZONE, it showed all 3; now that I want MAIN AND ZONE 2...
post #17447 of 18955
OK, I remembered how to add ZONE 2 & ZONE 3... rolleyes.gifeek.gifsmile.gif to my iPhone app (that app and AirPlay is why I have an iPhone) the MARANTZ app works, too; I'm gonna use it for my 3311...
post #17448 of 18955
Well that was short lived. Worked for 20 mins and went out again. Guess ill try resetting microprocessor.
post #17449 of 18955
Ok I have a 1912 and a pair of B&W 683s in a 5.1 setup.

Can I plug the extra 2 surround speaker outputs from my 1912 into the tweeter inputs for my 683's?
How do I make the 1912 recognize that I am setting it up like that?
Are there any acoustic benefits to doing it this way?

Thanks!
post #17450 of 18955
Thread Starter 
Yes, you can bi-amp the 683's using the Surr.Back amps by setting the AMP ASSIGN to "Bi-AMP" mode. Just make sure to remove the bridge between the jumpers on the back of the speaker first!!

That said, there are no acoustic benefits to this method, so unless you just want to experiment and run the extra wire it's not worth the trouble.
post #17451 of 18955
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma.....

As some of you have been following this thread for some time, I had previously reported my trials and tribulations with trying to get my firmware updated on my 3312 (updated to the "Pandora" fix). Since getting this unit in November '12 from Best Buy, I've tried a now uncountable amount of times to get my firmware updated from right out of the box, and never have been successful. Now some 4 months later, I'm wanting to act on it since I have not been successful, and it's one of those things that lingers in the back of my mind. Maybe not a big deal to some, but my OCD takes it on a spin.

I just called the local Best Buy I purchased this unit from and explained that I purchased the unit in November '12, and have never been able to update the firmware to this day. I asked if there was anything they could do to help. The Geek Squad member I spoke with said to bring in the unit with its receipt, and they will attempt to perform the upgrade. If they are unsuccessful like my many efforts, he said they can look to switch the unit out for another. I asked if they had any 3312's in stock (which I HIGHLY doubt), for which he could not locate any in inventory. He said that they would most likely be able to swap out with a comparable model. With wanting to stick with the Denon, I'm assuming it may be a 3313, but with the price I paid (a nice closeout discounted price) versus the current price of a 3313, I'm unsure of what they consider comparable...the next year's model?....price point?...etc

My question is:

What are the differences in models? I've looked around for specifics, and noted some of the tech specs, but what type of nuances would be also traded? What am I giving up and what would I be gaining?

If I remember correctly (and I don't know if I want to comb through 17,460 posts again wink.gif ), there are some features that I may be losing by moving from a 12 to a 13, like some sort of optical audio switching feature in a zone (sorry if I can't remember).

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

DtF
post #17452 of 18955
go to page 1 of the XX13 thread, where batpig compares the models smile.gif

post number 57: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_22030287
post #17453 of 18955
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

go to page 1 of the XX13 thread, where batpig compares the models smile.gif

post number 57: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_22030287

Just what I was looking for..thank you kind sir
post #17454 of 18955
thank batpig and jdsmoothie...
post #17455 of 18955
My question is:

If I remember correctly (and I don't know if I want to comb through 17,460 posts again wink.gif ), there are some features that I may be losing by moving from a 12 to a 13, like some sort of optical audio switching feature in a zone (sorry if I can't remember).

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

DtF[/quote]

The lost of digital Opt/Coax to Zones on the 3313 is not a big deal, as Airplay will not hi-jack the Main zone. You will simply play your apple tv or what ever in the main zone which will probably have a better interface, and use Analog, Net/Usb or Airplay in your other zones. There will be some products out there that you wish had Opt/Coax for Zones but not many and remember you can always send analog red/white as well.
post #17456 of 18955
I for one am returning a 3313 for a 3312... not being able to pipe PCM2.0 to zones 2/3 is a deal killer for my client (I should have researched more, of course).
...and no, I'm not buying some contraption to convert the optical out of the Apple TV to analog just to make it work.... that's Busch League.
sorry, but this is a step back IMHO.

on a personal note, I'll keep my 3808 a little longer because of this as well.
post #17457 of 18955
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhlh View Post

I for one am returning a 3313 for a 3312... not being able to pipe PCM2.0 to zones 2/3 is a deal killer for my client (I should have researched more, of course).
...and no, I'm not buying some contraption to convert the optical out of the Apple TV to analog just to make it work.... that's Busch League.
sorry, but this is a step back IMHO.

on a personal note, I'll keep my 3808 a little longer because of this as well.

Does Airplay not hi-jacking the main zone not alleviate your zone issues. I think having the Apple tv in the main zone and using Airplay for zones should work for you.
post #17458 of 18955
Well, it looks as if I were bamboozled by Best Buy (regarding my previous post 17461). I took off 3 hours early from work, drove 40 minutes to my house to unhook my receiver, then another 30 to Best Buy.....only to be told there is nothing they can do. I tried pleading with them that the Geek Squad member I spoke to told me to come in, they'd try to update the firmware, then if unsuccessful, would most likely swap it out for a comparable unit. Their answer was that "he didn't realize that you purchased it and it's now out of the return window of 30 days." To my reply: " I told him specifically, twice over the phone, that I purchased this unit in early November 2012. They did absolutely nothing. "Let's look online on the manufacture's website if the firmware is on there." My thought without speaking out loud and being rude: "Don't you think I would of tried that if I've already described ALL of the steps I've taken to get to this point?" And when I mentioned about my taking off of work and distance time of drive, I got some dumb look from the guy like I was speaking a foreign language. Best Buy, thanks for the experience, I will now shop elsewhere, message received.

/rant

After Best Buy, I stopped by my dad's' house, owner of a 1912 I recommended, and has already completed two firmware updates since buying it less than a month ago. So I'm figuring it should work there if it's going to work at all. Nope, same "Connection Failed 25" and infinite "Authenticating" , messages.

So now I'll be keeping my 3312, for which I am more than happy to do, and was my intention all along as I love this device, minus its inability to update firmware. I've opened a new ticket on Denon's website since my previous ticket was closed for some reason and cannot be reopened or updated. I'll also call their Support tomorrow (a non-Toll-Free 210 number from work, uggh, that should be fun in Cubetopia without the device in front of me), and await to walk through the predictable and tedious tech support steps to get to the ultimate resolve: sending into a Deonon repair facility. I'm in the Republic of North California, and from looking on their website, will most likely have to send it to the Los Angeles area. Prior to calling Best Buy today and my visit, I contacted a "certified repair facility" in Redwood City, CA (closest to home) and Portland, OR (an upcoming visit of mine), only to be told that they do not perform firmware updates. Just my luck.

I looked at my firmware version, and it does not bode well for me: "Firm. Package Ver. : 0001", which to me has the original version. Post #6 of this thread reads:

3312CI
6. 2/6/12
- Firmware update is impossible, and the error message of "Connection Fail 25" is displayed.
- Changed the default Internet radio station of PRESET CHANNEL3 from "1.fm Classical Musick" to "98.1 Klassik Radio FM".

...what I dreaded all along frown.gif

If it was just about the Pandora fix, I could probably live with it since I can AirPlay from my phone. But it's more of the principal of not being able to update the firmware, because what if I need an update in the future? Will this prevent me from upgrading a "new feature" should one come out, and if so, would it occur after my 3 year warranty is expired? These things make me think twice about shipping to a repair facility (I still posses the original box and packaging materials), getting all shifted and bounced around during transport possibly jarring something loose inside and/or screwing something else up...and the possibility of getting a returned refurb.

Well, there went my day, thanks for listening.
post #17459 of 18955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru the Fu View Post

If it was just about the Pandora fix, I could probably live with it since I can AirPlay from my phone. But it's more of the principal of not being able to update the firmware, because what if I need an update in the future? Will this prevent me from upgrading a "new feature" should one come out, and if so, would it occur after my 3 year warranty is expired? These things make me think twice about shipping to a repair facility (I still posses the original box and packaging materials), getting all shifted and bounced around during transport possibly jarring something loose inside and/or screwing something else up...and the possibility of getting a returned refurb.

Well, there went my day, thanks for listening.
You need to work out your dilemma before the manufacturer's warranty expires unless you have an extended warranty from Denon. Personally, I would use it until the last month of Denon warranty, and then I would send it in for repair. I would also insure it.
post #17460 of 18955
if im not mistaken the denon 3312ci has a 3 year warranty.
i had the same update problem.
do not call denon ,they are clueless on repairs.go to the panurgy (denon authorized warranty repair )websight and get an online return authorization and send the unit to them in NJ.they will update it to latest and make sure you can update in the future.i just got my denon back this week,they updated it the next day they received it and shipped it fed ex ground back to me.
dont waste time screwing with your network or reseting the avr just send it for repair.good luck
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread