or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread - Page 173

post #5161 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuf View Post

It's strange - sometimes I turn it on and it says "dolby digital" and sometimes "PRO LO II" .. This is just the xbox, without a game in it or anything.

Take no notice of the display until you're feeding it sound you want to hear.
post #5162 of 18963
I said that only to narrow the variables involved -- it's not the xbox that's the issue ... Sometimes I play the game and it says dolby digital, sometimes Dolby PRO II.
post #5163 of 18963
^^^

remember what I told you when we were solving your other problems?

slow down...

read batpig's responses... he has already told you twice what your issue is....
post #5164 of 18963
All of a sudden my GF's 1912 is showing 2 separate volume displays on screen. And I'm not sure how, or what I may have done to cause it. When she changes volume, she sees the "standard" on-screen volume bar, that counts left to right, from negative numbers to positive. Now, there is a second on screen volume bar (labeled "AVR", I believe) that *also* comes up when she adjusts the volume; this bar is all positive numbers, I believe. (I'm not in front of the unit)

I know I updated the firmware this past weekend, and I installed the Android app on her phone. But I don't think I did anything else.

Anyone seen this? She's really annoyed at seeing 2 volume indicators. How do I get it to go back to only showing the usual on-screen volume bar, from negative to positive?

Should I be looking into doing this "microprocessor reset" I've seen references to, to put everything back to factory default, and have to do all the setups again (speakers, etc)? Or is there something I can just turn off?
post #5165 of 18963
I am having trouble connecting my TV set to the receiver. I am using over the air satellite and have the input selected to TV on my set that is connected directly to the monitor out (arc) via HDMI to my Denon AVR-1712 receiver. Is this correct? I see the channels on my TV, however I am not getting any sound. I thought with my TV being directly connected to the receiver through the monitor out (arc) port that I would also receive sound from the receiver? Any ideas?
post #5166 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLeone View Post

Should I be looking into doing this "microprocessor reset" I've seen references to, to put everything back to factory default, and have to do all the setups again (speakers, etc)? Or is there something I can just turn off?

No reset required. The 2nd volume display is coming from the TV. Either set HDMI Control on the AVR to OFF or the HDMI-CEC feature on the TV to OFF.
post #5167 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiz View Post

I am having trouble connecting my TV set to the receiver. I am using over the air satellite and have the input selected to TV on my set that is connected directly to the monitor out (arc) via HDMI to my Denon AVR-1712 receiver. Is this correct? I see the channels on my TV, however I am not getting any sound. I thought with my TV being directly connected to the receiver through the monitor out (arc) port that I would also receive sound from the receiver? Any ideas?

Make sure that HDMI-CEC/ARC feature is set to ON on the TV as well as HDMI Control on the AVR set to ON as well.
post #5168 of 18963
Hi folks,

I recently replaced my old receiver (Onkyo 609) with a 2112ci and am having some issues with it.

Firstly, I have a htpc which is connected to my receiver via hdmi (into BD port). I've been having all sorts of issues with setting up 7.1 (which was working fine on the Onkyo), but have gotten 5.1 to work.

The primary issue is that the sound volume is VERY low. Set at -25DB, the volume is just at a moderate level good enough to watch a TV show. To really HEAR a movie I need to crank it to -10DB! In comparison to the Onkyo this is TWICE as much.

Also, I'm just watching the new show "Terra Nova" on fox HD and the rear speakers are barely outputting any sound...I'm getting 95% of the sound from the front and the expierence does not sound near as good as what i had. Lastly, the reciver says it's set for "Dolby Digital EX"...is this the correct setting?

Any help to get the sound output better and distribution would be appreciated...BTW, I did use the mic to calibrate the sound.
post #5169 of 18963
Hi all,

I want to confirm that I have the settings on my sub-woofer correct when running the speaker setup on my new 2112. The sub is an older Energy eXL Model S8, it has a "Level" adjustment and a "Low Pass Filter" adjustment knob. According to the brochure I got at the time, the adjustment range is 50 to 100Hz. I'm not exactly clear on what this adjustment does, or where it should be set prior to running the speaker setup.

Your thoughts appreciated!
post #5170 of 18963
Is 1612 enough for my needs ? don't need no gimmicks, need reliable machine.

-ps3 games and blu-ray
-laptop connection via hdmi to use as a playback device ?
-Polk 5.1 small shelf size speakers
-displaying everything on 1 plasma screen
post #5171 of 18963
@David.,,

turn the lpf on the sub up as high as it will go...

@raj... what you are seeing in the volume display is normal... those numbers sound about right to me.,,
post #5172 of 18963
Thread Starter 
post #5173 of 18963
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsim View Post

The primary issue is that the sound volume is VERY low. Set at -25DB, the volume is just at a moderate level good enough to watch a TV show. To really HEAR a movie I need to crank it to -10DB! In comparison to the Onkyo this is TWICE as much

that sounds normal, -10 is a good "movie night" volume when you want to crank up a good flick. Make sure Dyn Vol is OFF if you want to "crank it" also, as it will restrict dynamics.

Quote:
Also, I'm just watching the new show "Terra Nova" on fox HD and the rear speakers are barely outputting any sound...I'm getting 95% of the sound from the front and the expierence does not sound near as good as what i had.

is Dynamic EQ on?

Quote:
Lastly, the reciver says it's set for "Dolby Digital EX"...is this the correct setting?

depends on what audio the source has. The receiver just plays what it gets. "Dolby Digital EX" means the source is sending a 5.1 Dolby Digital stream with a 6th (rear surround) channel encoded in the mix.
post #5174 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

No reset required. The 2nd volume display is coming from the TV. Either set HDMI Control on the AVR to OFF or the HDMI-CEC feature on the TV to OFF.

OH Yes, I might have turned on the HDMI Control. I know her TV (same model as mine, Samsung LN46C630) doesn't have a HDMI-CEC feature.

I will try that this weekend, thanks!
post #5175 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

that sounds normal, -10 is a good "movie night" volume when you want to crank up a good flick. Make sure Dyn Vol is OFF if you want to "crank it" also, as it will restrict dynamics.

Hate to ask, but where is the Dynamic Volume set? I turned OFF the Auto-Volume in the HTPC.

is Dynamic EQ on?
Where would I see if the Dynamic EQ is on?



depends on what audio the source has. The receiver just plays what it gets. "Dolby Digital EX" means the source is sending a 5.1 Dolby Digital stream with a 6th (rear surround) channel encoded in the mix.

Hate to ask, but where is the Dynamic Volume set? I turned OFF the Auto-Volume in the HTPC.

Where would I see if the Dynamic EQ is on?

Ok sounds good
post #5176 of 18963
Is there a qualitative difference between Dolby PRO II and Dolby Digital, as regards my issue with xbox 360? If it's simply a question of sometimes the receiver displays one and sometimes another (because of the handshake issue), I don't care ....
post #5177 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLeone View Post

OH Yes, I might have turned on the HDMI Control. I know her TV (same model as mine, Samsung LN46C630) doesn't have a HDMI-CEC feature.

I will try that this weekend, thanks!

Hi MikeLeone, Samsung HDMI-CEC feature is call "AnyNet+ (most times Samsung HDMI-CEC feature is set to On by default).
post #5178 of 18963
Hey guys, I have a problem and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I got my 2112 less than a month ago and until yesterday it has been working flawlessly. Today, I went to turn it on and no video displays. I tried doing a reset and a network reset and neither have done anything. The unit still powers on just fine and plays audio through AirPlay but no video seems to come out of it? Is it now defective? Thanks.
post #5179 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuf View Post

Is there a qualitative difference between Dolby PRO II and Dolby Digital, as regards my issue with xbox 360? If it's simply a question of sometimes the receiver displays one and sometimes another (because of the handshake issue), I don't care ....

Hi ericuf, its a handshake issue between receiver and xbox. Try turning on your components in a certain order, tv - receiver then xbox. If still getting Dolby ProII, go into xbox audio menu, try selecting Dolby Digital 5.1 then back to Stereo and back to Dolby Digital 5.1.
post #5180 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsim View Post

Hate to ask, but where is the Dynamic Volume set? I turned OFF the Auto-Volume in the HTPC.

Where would I see if the Dynamic EQ is on?

Ok sounds good

Hi rajsim, go Menu -> Audio Adjust -> Audyssey Settings
post #5181 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi rajsim, go Menu -> Audio Adjust -> Audyssey Settings

thnx...sounds better, but still not getting much from the rear speakers and wish i could get 7.1 to work on this thing with my HTPC, since I know my vid card does 7.1 audio out, the PC test confirms that it can "see" all 7 speakers...damn media center is only picking up 5
post #5182 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha8a View Post

Hey guys, I have a problem and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I got my 2112 less than a month ago and until yesterday it has been working flawlessly. Today, I went to turn it on and no video displays. I tried doing a reset and a network reset and neither have done anything. The unit still powers on just fine and plays audio through AirPlay but no video seems to come out of it? Is it now defective? Thanks.

Try unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes, then do the reset again. Make sure it's not stuck in PURE DIRECT mode.
post #5183 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha8a View Post

Hey guys, I have a problem and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I got my 2112 less than a month ago and until yesterday it has been working flawlessly. Today, I went to turn it on and no video displays. I tried doing a reset and a network reset and neither have done anything. The unit still powers on just fine and plays audio through AirPlay but no video seems to come out of it? Is it now defective? Thanks.

Have you checked other inputs, or just the Net/USB (Airplay)? I think it is a known problem that sometimes there is no GUI or display when using Net/USB. According to one of the first few posts of this thread, Denon will address this issue in an upcoming firmware update. I hope they do, because I sometimes have the same problem of no GUI on Net/USB mode. I also get an occasional AVR freeze in Net/USB mode. Hope it gets fixed at the same time!

If your AVR isn't passing video in any mode, then take JD's advise.
post #5184 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsim View Post

Hi folks,



The primary issue is that the sound volume is VERY low. Set at -25DB, the volume is just at a moderate level good enough to watch a TV show. To really HEAR a movie I need to crank it to -10DB! In comparison to the Onkyo this is TWICE as much.

Also, I'm just watching the new show "Terra Nova" on fox HD and the rear speakers are barely outputting any sound...I'm getting 95% of the sound from the front and the expierence does not sound near as good as what i had. Lastly, the reciver says it's set for "Dolby Digital EX"...is this the correct setting?

Any help to get the sound output better and distribution would be appreciated...BTW, I did use the mic to calibrate the sound.


^^^^^rajsim-- I had the same "issues" in that I thought something was "wrong" with the receiver b/c had to dip below -20DB to hear tv shows and movies and I though the sounds was being held hostage in some way (my old Pioneer receiver cranked at less volume) but having read about the DENON AVRs apparently the volume controls are "relative". Basically the #s you're seeing jibe with what settings I have to use with tv/movies.

There is also something called "offset"--Not sure what that does but I think it keeps the volume 'even' when you switch channels.

I'm also hearing almost all of my sound from the center channel. I do hear the background stuff from the sides and rears but, like you, in my old system the dialogue was more spread.

Not sure why that happens. I don't really like it but, again, veterans of this board say it's "normal."

I think the "Multichannel" setting will spread the sound out among all the speakers, but I think this is a less ideal setting than DD 5.1
post #5185 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumik View Post

Is 1612 enough for my needs ? don't need no gimmicks, need reliable machine.

-ps3 games and blu-ray
-laptop connection via hdmi to use as a playback device ?
-Polk 5.1 small shelf size speakers
-displaying everything on 1 plasma screen

If that is all you need then the 1612 will work, though MultEQ XT is a desired feature that is not available on the 1612. Also note that the 1612 is 5.1 and will only do 7.1 if you purchase a separate amp later on. My recomendation would be to step up to the 1712 for the MultEQ XT. Please drop me an email or call.
post #5186 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuf View Post

Is there a qualitative difference between Dolby PRO II and Dolby Digital, as regards my issue with xbox 360? If it's simply a question of sometimes the receiver displays one and sometimes another (because of the handshake issue), I don't care ....

Eric, same thing has happened to me and it's the Xbox. If you boot it up and notice the receiver does NOT say Dolby Digital, then go to 360 Dashboard, then to system setup and toggle your audio settings to Stereo, then back to Dolby Digital and your AVR display should change to Dolby Digital. I used to have to do this every time I turned the 360 on.
post #5187 of 18963
Need some help from the experts here

I have the 3312 and plan to connect my projector to one hdmi out and run an hdmi out to the other side of the basement and want to know can I just use an lcd "monitor" rather than purchasing a tv? If so will I need to do anything else to make this setup work?
post #5188 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Need some help from the experts here

I have the 3312 and plan to connect my projector to one hdmi out and run an hdmi out to the other side of the basement and want to know can I just use an lcd "monitor" rather than purchasing a tv? If so will I need to do anything else to make this setup work?

Shouldn't be an issue, as long as your LCD monitor has a DVI or HDMI input.

If your LCD monitor doesn't have an HDMI input, pick up an HDMI-to-DVI converter, and you should be good to go.

If your LCD monitor only has a VGA input, however, I don't think it will work without a fair amount of extra hardware to convert an output to VGA.
post #5189 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

Shouldn't be an issue, as long as your LCD monitor has a DVI or HDMI input.

If your LCD monitor doesn't have an HDMI input, pick up an HDMI-to-DVI converter, and you should be good to go.

If your LCD monitor only has a VGA input, however, I don't think it will work without a fair amount of extra hardware to convert an output to VGA.

I havent purchased a monitor yet as I was trying to decide. I can save some $$ purchasing monitors rather than tv's assuming they will in fact work. I plan to purchase monitors with hdmi inputs.

How does the 3312 deal with the sound in this setup? Will it display sound via the monitor speakers as well as the surround sound in the theater (where the projector is) or only one room at a time? I also assume it will display on both the monitor and projector at the same time?
post #5190 of 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

I havent purchased a monitor yet as I was trying to decide. I can save some $$ purchasing monitors rather than tv's assuming they will in fact work. I plan to purchase monitors with hdmi inputs.

How does the 3312 deal with the sound in this setup? Will it display sound via the monitor speakers as well as the surround sound in the theater (where the projector is) or only one room at a time? I also assume it will display on both the monitor and projector at the same time?

jd or the bat can confirm, but I'm fairly certain the 3312 will output a stereo downmix to the analog outputs, which you could run to the monitor's built-in speakers, if you want. I think. Hopefully one of the real experts can confirm... I know my computer hardware, but I haven't tried to do anything like this with my 3312.

An LCD computer monitor will likely have only a miniplug input (like a headphone jack, designed for the line from your computer sound card), but you can get a miniplug to RCA converter cheaply and easily from Monoprice so you can connect it to your stereo. You'll need cables long enough to reach, of course.

Note that a computer monitor may or may not have specs that are actually better than an actual HDTV-specific LCD television, but I'm sure you're familiar enough with what you'll get to make that call yourself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread