or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz SR5006 / Marantz SR6006 Receiver Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz SR5006 / Marantz SR6006 Receiver Thread - Page 42

post #1231 of 1955
^^^^ second that, I have Sammy B63B550 and turning Anynet+ off fixed HDMI pass through issue for me.
post #1232 of 1955
Turns out the receiver was defective. Exchanged for a new unit. Will report back after it's installed.
post #1233 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Gapless ALAC/FLAC 24/192 Khz support coming to the 5006/6006 via firmware update later this summer. smile.gif

Does this mean the AVR could then directly play iTunes M4A lossless files (as well as flac) directly from say an external HD (not a NAS) attached to the network? If so, that will be just @#$@ brilliant! smile.gif

I have been planing on a media player (Dune, NAS etc..) to move my entire music library (mostly FLAC and iTunes M4A losless) onto so I don't have to keep my PC on to play tunes. BUT, because of the M4A issue, one needs iTunes or some solution to play those.....its just a PITA. I would love to be able just copy everything to a HD and access it directly.

Any idea when this is to be released? Thanks for the info as well as all your help in general.
post #1234 of 1955
Unknown to both.
post #1235 of 1955
Hey guys, I was hoping for a little help here. I just got my SR-5006 and Im having a bit of trouble understanding how to get my Harmony One remote to control it properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #1236 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick4u_81 View Post

Hey guys, I was hoping for a little help here. I just got my SR-5006 and Im having a bit of trouble understanding how to get my Harmony One remote to control it properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Set it up as a SR6005 (yes a year older model), this models remote has all of the inputs as options and not the silly way the 6006 is.
It gets even worse on the 6007, that remote is a joke.

I am using a Harmony One, and it is working fine with the above settings.
post #1237 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SNUKE- View Post

Set it up as a SR6005 (yes a year older model), this models remote has all of the inputs as options and not the silly way the 6006 is.
It gets even worse on the 6007, that remote is a joke.
I am using a Harmony One, and it is working fine with the above settings.

Even though I have a 5006 and not a 6006?
post #1238 of 1955
Sorry, misread you, but yes, that will be fine, they share the same remote.
post #1239 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SNUKE- View Post

Sorry, miss read you, but yes, that will be fine, they share the same remote.

Awesome, thank you so much for the help. Im updating my remote as we speak.
post #1240 of 1955
Snuke, you are a genius. It worked perfectly.
post #1241 of 1955
Just got the SR6006 hooked up today. Ran Audessey and did the firmware update that it recommended. Only got to play around on it for about 2 hours but here is what I noticed. I had the Onkyo HT7100 HTIB and had upgraded to the Polk 60's for fronts, CS2 center, and Monitor 30's for the surrounds. I sold the Onkyo system including the sub so right now I am not running a subwoofer.

First, the music envelops the room more and seems more seemless if that makes sense. Definitely a big improvement in sound quality. I bi-amped the fronts and set the amp assign to C as the manual instructed. I was listening to some music in Multi channel stereo and it was sounding really good. As I was going through the settings I noticed that the amp stated it was assigned to Zone 2. I changed it back to C and could tell a big difference. The sound stage moved back to the fronts and the surrounds were not as involved. Still sounded good but not as good as when Zone 2 was assigned to the amp.

I would think sending the amp as Zone 2 to one set of the speaker terminals should send the same amount of power as speaker setting C that the manual recommends. May the C setting cuts some power to the bi amp. I am not running zone 2 and was wondering if there is going to be any issues by setting the amp to Zone 2 instead of C going against what the manual says.

I still have to play around a little with it and probably make some more adjustments. I thought it would play louder than the Onkyo 606 but I'm not sure it does. I do know it is without a doubt, a helluva lot clearer.

Now I just need to find a deal on a nice SVS sub and I will be done for a while.

Any advice on settings and the above issues is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt
post #1242 of 1955
Neither HDMI nor multi channel PCM audio over optical/digital coax will pass to Zone 2, so if passing either one, the front speakers are not getting a full range signal.
post #1243 of 1955
So putting it on zone 2 for internet radio or network would sound better but change it to Speaker C for any HDMI or Optical sources? Okay, that works.
post #1244 of 1955
Quick questions.

I just picked up the SR6006 open box today at Best Buy and it came with the RC010SR remote and without the calibration mic. I did a search online and noticed this remote is for the SR6005 which is a previous year's model. Can someone please let me know if I should pickup the correct remote for the SR6006 or will using a Harmony One work just fine? I think the remote I need is the RC014SR. Lastly, will I be able to use the Audyssey mic that came with my Onkyo 609 to setup the Marantz, or are they totally different altogether? I would think the processing happens within the receivers and hopefully the mics can be interchanged, but I'm probably wrong.

Anyhow, has anyone had any experience with Marantz and will they be willing to ship a remote and/or mic for free or would anybody know the costs? I'll search ebay but thought to ask here as well.

I just came across another thread where someone mentioned they went to another Best Buy and was able to get the remote and mic for free. I may have to try that route but I would think they would have to open a new box or luckily have some laying around.

Thanks in advance!
post #1245 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post

Quick questions.
I just picked up the SR6006 open box today at Best Buy and it came with the RC010SR remote and without the calibration mic. I did a search online and noticed this remote is for the SR6005 which is a previous year's model. Can someone please let me know if I should pickup the correct remote for the SR6006 or will using a Harmony One work just fine? !

As per my posts above on this page, the remote you have actually received is better. That said using a Harmony remote of any kind will be better again.
I use the ONE (main room) and 525.
Again as per my post above on this page, and as I learnt from posts much earlier in this thread, when setting up your Harmony remote, make sure you set it up as a SR6005 and NOT a SR6006.
The 6006 remote does not have all inputs as a single button push option.

As for Mic, I think somewhere here, or in the Audyssey thread, it says not to use different mics for different amps.
Someone else with actual real knowledge can supply valuable information.
Either way, I am assuming you paid it for before taking it from Best Buys, so go back there and tell them it didn't have the mic included.
post #1246 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post

Quick questions.
I just picked up the SR6006 open box today at Best Buy and it came with the RC010SR remote and without the calibration mic. I did a search online and noticed this remote is for the SR6005 which is a previous year's model. Can someone please let me know if I should pickup the correct remote for the SR6006 or will using a Harmony One work just fine? I think the remote I need is the RC014SR. Lastly, will I be able to use the Audyssey mic that came with my Onkyo 609 to setup the Marantz, or are they totally different altogether? I would think the processing happens within the receivers and hopefully the mics can be interchanged, but I'm probably wrong.
Anyhow, has anyone had any experience with Marantz and will they be willing to ship a remote and/or mic for free or would anybody know the costs? I'll search ebay but thought to ask here as well.
I just came across another thread where someone mentioned they went to another Best Buy and was able to get the remote and mic for free. I may have to try that route but I would think they would have to open a new box or luckily have some laying around.
Thanks in advance!

The mic used with the 609 is the same mic used with the Marantz 5006, so yes, you can use it. When BB sets up demo units, they generally just toss the setup mics into a drawer, and when they sell the demos, generally don't bother finding the matching mic, so in some cases, it's possible to get the correct mic by asking if they have one "in the drawer". In your case, the 5006 uses the ACM-1H mic which is also interchangeable with the Denon DM-A409 mic as well.
post #1247 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SNUKE- View Post

As per my posts above on this page, the remote you have actually received is better. That said using a Harmony remote of any kind will be better again.
I use the ONE (main room) and 525.
Again as per my post above on this page, and as I learnt from posts much earlier in this thread, when setting up your Harmony remote, make sure you set it up as a SR6005 and NOT a SR6006.
The 6006 remote does not have all inputs as a single button push option.
As for Mic, I think somewhere here, or in the Audyssey thread, it says not to use different mics for different amps.
Someone else with actual real knowledge can supply valuable information.
Either way, I am assuming you paid it for before taking it from Best Buys, so go back there and tell them it didn't have the mic included.

Thanks SNUKE! I did call BB back to ask if they could find the remote and mic for me but they couldn't. I don't rely on phone calls so I'll stop by there and a couple other places as well just to be sure. I did see your post on this page earlier, but read thru it pretty quickly and I was getting sleepy, so felt lazy in reading any of the previous pages so I thought to ask instead of digging around. Anyhow, that's definitely good to know that the remote I have is better functionally than what comes with it. I'll keep the current remote and also program my Harmony One as well to see which one works better.

One thing I noticed on the Harmony remote in general is that when you setup an activity, say watch BluRay, once everything turns on and is working, somehow the main screen does not display all of the options for the device, say the PS3 or the Panasonic BluRay player that you have set, but just 1 pg worth of options. I always have to click on the Device and select it to get all of the options. Then I have to hit the Activities button again so that I can control the volume. Seems like an extra step or two that should be eliminated somehow. Anyhow, that's a bit off topic and I should probably just post this on the Harmony One thread somewhere. Thanks though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The mic used with the 609 is the same mic used with the Marantz 5006, so yes, you can use it. When BB sets up demo units, they generally just toss the setup mics into a drawer, and when they sell the demos, generally don't bother finding the matching mic, so in some cases, it's possible to get the correct mic by asking if they have one "in the drawer". In your case, the 5006 uses the ACM-1H mic which is also interchangeable with the Denon DM-A409 mic as well.

Thanks jdsmoothie! I did see that the 5006 also has Audyssey MultEQ XT, which is the same for my model, the 6006. So I assume they both would use the same setup mic and just to double check, I can then use the mic from the Onkyo 609 on the 6006 for calibration, correct? If so that's great news on my part.

Yeah, I know BB usually just toss the remotes and mics in the drawers so I'll stop by and ask if they can double check at a couple of stores just to be sure. It doesn't hurt to have an extra mic if needed. Thanks for the mic model #'s as well, much appreciated!
post #1248 of 1955
Yes, the mic can be used with the 5006 as well ... doesn't matter what version of Audyssey is used as they all use the same mic.
post #1249 of 1955
I have owned the 6006 for about a year now and it been flawless up until the last week. All of a sudden anytime I chose anything related to the net/USB function (Pandora,internet radio, etc.) I get no audio and there is no signal on my TV (TV actually says no signal). Has anyone else had this problem? Everything else is working fine.
post #1250 of 1955
If you haven't already, try unplugging it for about 10 minutes (ie. soft reset).
post #1251 of 1955
I wanted to punch my 6006 today. After doing a complete set up again last week, (which has refused to save) I experienced issues with Airplay effectively being locked, with each device telling me that another was already using airplay (I only have 2 devices that may access it so it is easy to see).
Then it wouldn't display any picture, change inputs or volume.
Turned it off, all worked. Today, same story, wouldn't change input, would just show black screen. It only showed the input selected on start up, and then the volume would change from the start up preset (-50).
Turned it off for 10+ mins as I redid some cabling and made space for new WD TV Live Hub.
Turned on and all seems to be working except any network connection.

I fear I will have to run hard and microprocessor presets again and run a full set up yet again. Hopefully it will save this time.

On the last set up done a week ago, it would not find internet radio, but after ignoring this step, network connection, internet radio, airplay etc worked, until yesterday.


FYI, the iPhone app got updated yesterday.
post #1252 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemetblk View Post

I have owned the 6006 for about a year now and it been flawless up until the last week. All of a sudden anytime I chose anything related to the net/USB function (Pandora,internet radio, etc.) I get no audio and there is no signal on my TV (TV actually says no signal). Has anyone else had this problem? Everything else is working fine.
Happens to mine often. Unplugging for 10 seconds fixes it. Gotta be a firmware issue - hope they fix it.
post #1253 of 1955
Have you guys given Marantz tech support a call and say; "What's up with that?"

confused.gif

Our 5007 hasn't so much as hiccuped with the exception of the fight the unit has going on with Audyssey but that's an argument between Audyssey and Marantz, not a problem with the unit itself.

(And no, I don't care what the Audyssey pundits have to say on the issue.)
post #1254 of 1955
Unplugged it overnight but no luck. I ended up doing a processor reset and that did the trick. Unfortunately, I now have to rerun Audyssey but at least it's working.


Btw, if anyone is still looking for 6006 my local Best Buy still had 3 or 4 new in the box at a great price.
post #1255 of 1955
Quick questions; I was reading the online manual and noticed that you can bi amp using the Front A connection along with the Surround Back connection. Since I have a 7.1 setup with front highs using the Surround Back connection, is there anyway this receiver allows you to bi amp using say the Front A and Front B connections to go to the 2 front speakers? Or can I switch the front highs to use the Front B connection and then bi amp the 2 front speakers to the Front A and Surround Back connection?

Also has anyone tried the bi amp feature and if so, how much better was it? I've thumbed thru some threads and some people mention it doesn't do much, but I guess it depends on the receiver or other settings, and its probably the same by using better connections and speaker wire and plug into receiver normally w/o bi amping. Or just buy a separate amp, which to some is not truly worth it.





I have the Def Tech 8020ST (l/r), 8040CS (center), and 4 ProMontors (sl, sr, fhl, fhr). After finally setting it up and running thru the Audyssey, I did notice the surround left and right were much better and louder than what I had before with my Onkyo 609. I assume its b/c the Audyssey Multi EQ XT setup was far superior to the Onkyo 609 Audyssey EQ only. I know when I setup the Onkyo 609, I was using an SPL meter and set the surrounds to @ 75hz, but I'm wondering if I would have just increased the amount to say 78 or 80hz, would it have sounded as loud and as good as the current Marantz SR6006?

Also, after Audyssey setup, it placed the sub at 26 ft or something like that, which is way off. I assume you have to go in and manually update that value to the actual sub distance yourself. I have the Velodyne EQ-Max10 and it has it's own calibration mic to the sub directly. I forget but should I setup the sub calibration first and then setup the Audyssey with the sub calibration or vice versa? Lastly, does it matter what volume the sub is at when doing the calibrations?


Thanks in advance!
post #1256 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post

Also, after Audyssey setup, it placed the sub at 26 ft or something like that, which is way off.

I'm guessing that includes the introduced time domain lag the length of the subwoofer cable adds to the time it takes for the microphone to receive the pulsed signal from signal generation to sound wave interception.
post #1257 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post

Quick questions; I was reading the online manual and noticed that you can bi amp using the Front A connection along with the Surround Back connection. Since I have a 7.1 setup with front highs using the Surround Back connection, is there anyway this receiver allows you to bi amp using say the Front A and Front B connections to go to the 2 front speakers? Or can I switch the front highs to use the Front B connection and then bi amp the 2 front speakers to the Front A and Surround Back connection?
Also has anyone tried the bi amp feature and if so, how much better was it? I've thumbed thru some threads and some people mention it doesn't do much, but I guess it depends on the receiver or other settings, and its probably the same by using better connections and speaker wire and plug into receiver normally w/o bi amping. Or just buy a separate amp, which to some is not truly worth it.
I have the Def Tech 8020ST (l/r), 8040CS (center), and 4 ProMontors (sl, sr, fhl, fhr). After finally setting it up and running thru the Audyssey, I did notice the surround left and right were much better and louder than what I had before with my Onkyo 609. I assume its b/c the Audyssey Multi EQ XT setup was far superior to the Onkyo 609 Audyssey EQ only. I know when I setup the Onkyo 609, I was using an SPL meter and set the surrounds to @ 75hz, but I'm wondering if I would have just increased the amount to say 78 or 80hz, would it have sounded as loud and as good as the current Marantz SR6006?
Also, after Audyssey setup, it placed the sub at 26 ft or something like that, which is way off. I assume you have to go in and manually update that value to the actual sub distance yourself. I have the Velodyne EQ-Max10 and it has it's own calibration mic to the sub directly. I forget but should I setup the sub calibration first and then setup the Audyssey with the sub calibration or vice versa? Lastly, does it matter what volume the sub is at when doing the calibrations?
Thanks in advance!

1. Nope.
2. Nope.
3. Not any better at all.
4. Nope. Doesn't depend on the AVR at all. No benefit regardless.
5. Yup.
6. Nope.
7. Nope. The sub "distance" is a delay factor used to account for the filters in the sub. It's not necessary to adjust this "delay" factor.
8. Velodyne cal first, then Audyssey.
9. As suggested in the Owner's manual and the Audyssey Setup Guide linked in my sig. start the sub volume at 50% or mid level and adjust down from there as necessary to get the sub closer to 0db than the max of -12db.
post #1258 of 1955
kikkoman,

1. Passive bi-amping does nothing to improve the sound. It made sense when low power, limited-bandwidth tube amps were popular. It doesn't provide any advantage when using solid-state amps. Active bi-amping, with external active crossovers sometimes can provide improved audio, but that's for people who design their own speaker systems. This has been discussed extensively on AVS.

2. Turning up the volume ever-so-slightly does make it sound better. However XT does a much better job of room equalization than 2EQ does. See the Audyssey thread for more info.

3. Audyssey's subwoofer "distance" is correct. It is effectively farther away because the processing being done in the subwoofer delays its sound. (It's usually best if you calibrate the subwoofer's internal EQ first, and have it active while Audyssey does the final EQ trimming.)
post #1259 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I'm guessing that includes the introduced time domain lag the length of the subwoofer cable adds to the time it takes for the microphone to receive the pulsed signal from signal generation to sound wave interception.

No, the signal traveling down any audio cable is doing so at a significant fraction of the speed of light. In any domestic setting, that delay is infinitesimal.

Instead, DSP latency in the subwoofer is what typically causes the increased delay, which the auto setup routine describes as greater than actual distance.

AJ
post #1260 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

1. Nope.
2. Nope.
3. Not any better at all.
4. Nope. Doesn't depend on the AVR at all. No benefit regardless.
5. Yup.
6. Nope.
7. Nope. The sub "distance" is a delay factor used to account for the filters in the sub. It's not necessary to adjust this "delay" factor.
8. Velodyne cal first, then Audyssey.
9. As suggested in the Owner's manual and the Audyssey Setup Guide linked in my sig. start the sub volume at 50% or mid level and adjust down from there as necessary to get the sub closer to 0db than the max of -12db.

Thanks dj smooth! Doesn't that name sound so much cooler smile.gif j/k. Thanks for answering my questions. Much appreciated. I'll leave the bi amp feature alone and not worry about purchasing a separate amp. I'll try to reconfigure with the sub volume as mentioned and leave the sub 'distance' alone once it calculates.

I did come across something yesterday. I tried to setup the Internet Radio feature by going thru setup and clicking btn on the receiver face and the receiver stated to look at the tv, but the OSD was blank with no source. I assume it should display text so I can review and setup. Probably something silly I did, but I'll have to take a look at the online pdf to see.

I also noticed that the receiver would only pull up the menu when I clicked the 'Amp' btn and then the 'Menu' btn on the remote. Not sure if it's b/c I have the old model remote RC010SR instead of the one that comes with it.

I'm sure I'll have more questions the more I play with the receiver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

kikkoman,
3. Audyssey's subwoofer "distance" is correct. It is effectively farther away because the processing being done in the subwoofer delays its sound. (It's usually best if you calibrate the subwoofer's internal EQ first, and have it active while Audyssey does the final EQ trimming.)

Thanks for the input Ball! When you state to have the sub EQ active while running Audyssey, I assume you are stating to have the receiver also calibrate the sub in the receiver's menu correct? If so then I'm good. I did calibrate the sub EQ with the sub's mic way back then for the Onkyo 609, so this time when I ran the Audyssey on Marantz, it should be fine. I'll just need to go in and set the sub volume like how jdsmoothie mentioned.

Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz SR5006 / Marantz SR6006 Receiver Thread