or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz SR5006 / Marantz SR6006 Receiver Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz SR5006 / Marantz SR6006 Receiver Thread - Page 57

post #1681 of 1955
wow is all I can say. set it up proper now removed the centers, did two passes with Audyssey -- sound is fantastic,what a difference bass fills in everywhere as it should, just awesome. quite happy now smile.gif
post #1682 of 1955
You still have to deal with the fact that the center channel may be defective. frown.gif
post #1683 of 1955
yeah I deleted a long winded story about that, I had to buy the unit in the US - I'm in Cananda, I wantedit solely for the DH and its so old that none were available here, tracked this refurb in the US and had to use a proxy to get it to me, factory sealed factory warranty for 1 year refurb etc. No chance of sending it all the way back, and not sure how the a US warranty will work here. Though it should be global if bought from an authorized dealer? I'll investigate at leasure but as it works now, I'm happy -- though I'm sure it will nag at me since the total cost to get it here even on sale refurb, comes to the same as a brand new one priced here when they were for sale originally.
post #1684 of 1955
AFAIK, a unit purchased in the USA must be returned to the USA for warranty repair.
post #1685 of 1955
I've read that, I also read that if bought anywhere from an authorized dealer it can be serviced anywhere. I think someone from Marantz on maybe this site or another site chimed in about that, but a really old post from 2006 or 2009 maybe. I'll investigate it all late on, which is why I am so happy to get it going right now as is, as I sense there might be an issue about the warranty.
post #1686 of 1955
just found it, was on here but from 2002 eek.gif
Quote:
"
"We will honor the warranty for any purchase by an end user, from any authorized dealer in the world. If you are in Japan, and buy the projector yourself, then the warranty is valid. We do not honor warranty from unauthorized sources, such as internet resellers who are not even dealers but are middlemen with (many times admittedly) no experience in the CE field whatsoever." Dan"
post #1687 of 1955
Hi, also own the 6006 and very happy with it. One question which I've seen a few possible solutions but nothing that seems to work is getting a different audio source playing while I'm on HDMI Sat (or TV) or on one of the other HDMI video inputs? I have iTunes playing through Airplay which hijacks the video to the now playing screen. Unless there's a solution I'm missing, I don't think there's a way around to switch to another video source and keep the audio?

But I also have an Apple Airport that I can hook up through the CD input, can I use a different video source while remaining on the CD input?

Basically I am trying to listen to music at the same time I'm either watching TV (like for sports, have music replace the sound from the tv broadcast), or listen to music while I'm playing PS3. Would setting up another zone solve the problem somehow? Thank you.

Any ideas? Thank you.
post #1688 of 1955
The video source must be analog to be able to use the "Video Select" setting with the audio source so either also connect a component video cable from the sat box to the AVR or connect the sat box (HDMI) to the TV with sat box (optical) to the AVR.
post #1689 of 1955
New Owner - Embarassing Question

I just purchased an sr5006, and I cant figure out how to get passthrough so I can watch/listen to TV/Salellite without having receiverturned on.

I may be confusing this, but I think that this is referred to as ARC - Audio Return Channel. I am hoping that the is the same thing.

To enable this, the manual says to set HDMI control to On. I cant find where to do this. I am struggling to find the menu to enable this. I was given an open box marantz remote at Magnolia.

Any help would be appreciated.
Edited by Radke - 2/24/13 at 6:24pm
post #1690 of 1955
^^
You need to have both Network Standby and HDMI Control On.

You need to press the amp menu button on the remote then move up or down to Settings.
Press enter the move up or down to find network for Network Standby and HDMI to find HDMI Control.
post #1691 of 1955
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and in the market for a new Home Theater set-up. I was wondering your thoughts on sound quality: Marantz SR6006 vs UMC-200 w/ xpa-5?

Music/Movies 50/50

Also, would the 6006 sound better if using an external amp such as the xpa-5? For speakers I have Definitive BP7006 up front, CLR2002 center and unmatched polk speakers for the rears.

Thanks for the help.
post #1692 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radke View Post

New Owner - Embarassing Question

I just purchased an sr5006, and I cant figure out how to get passthrough so I can watch/listen to TV/Salellite without having receiverturned on.

I may be confusing this, but I think that this is referred to as ARC - Audio Return Channel. I am hoping that the is the same thing.

To enable this, the manual says to set HDMI control to On. I cant find where to do this. I am struggling to find the menu to enable this. I was given an open box marantz remote at Magnolia.

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to AVSForum! smile.gif

HDMI Standby pass through is the feature you want which is enabled by setting the HDMI Control setting (p. 97 OM) to ON [Amp Menu --> System Setup ---> HDMI Setup ----> HDMI Control]. Refer to p. 82 "Map Menu" to more easily find the various settings on the remote.

The Network Standby setting does not need to be ON for this audio to pass through the AVR.

Audio Return Channel (ARC) is the feature that returns the audio from the TV back to the AVR over the same HDMI cable that connects the AVR to the TV (ie. "return").
post #1693 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspan01 View Post

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and in the market for a new Home Theater set-up. I was wondering your thoughts on sound quality: Marantz SR6006 vs UMC-200 w/ xpa-5?

Music/Movies 50/50

Also, would the 6006 sound better if using an external amp such as the xpa-5? For speakers I have Definitive BP7006 up front, CLR2002 center and unmatched polk speakers for the rears.

Thanks for the help.

Cannot comment on the UMC-200, although the external amp will provide for louder audio in a larger room; however, the DT speakers are very efficient so the 6006 should have more than enough power. Regardless of your decision, I wouldn't suggest purchasing the XPA-5 until after you've had a chance to use the 6006 awhile.
post #1694 of 1955
Thanks for your advice. I actually have had the SR6006 for about a week now. This is the first receiver I have purchased in quite a long time. The set up wasn't too hard since the wizard walks you through pretty much everything. I made a few adjustments of my own and feel that the receiver has a good sound. I am having trouble with the AMP button. The manual says that to cycle through the modes click the AMP button then SURROND. Ive done this so many times and it doesn't seem as if my AMP button even works. I was watching a DVD that was recorded in DTS but was unable to find one mode so that I would be able to listen to it in this setting. I guess what I am asking is if I hit the AMP button should I be able to cycle through almost all of the DOLBY/DTS sound fields? The most I have ever been able to see if just one- DOLBY DIGITAL. I haven't tried calling Marantz just yet. I was hoping to find some help on this site. If I can get everything works as it is supposed to ill most likely keep this unit. But since Ive only had it a week I am considering returning it and trying out the UMC-200 since it seems to have gotten rave reviews.
post #1695 of 1955
Thank you, I will give that a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The video source must be analog to be able to use the "Video Select" setting with the audio source so either also connect a component video cable from the sat box to the AVR or connect the sat box (HDMI) to the TV with sat box (optical) to the AVR.
post #1696 of 1955
Hi Gspan, I had that same issue and figured it out by if you press the Surround button (between the Source and Volume buttons), it cycles through the available sound fields. For playing music it goes through Stereo, Virtual, Multi Ch Input and some of the Dolby PL modes. If you're using another source where certain other fields are available (like DTS), I imagine those would become options as well.
post #1697 of 1955
Quick Q - So sometimes, when I'm watching a Blu ray film, even if I set the Audio to Auto or DD or DTS, it switches automatically to Multi Channel. Case in Point - Pirates On Stranger Tides Blu Ray. The on disc Audio is 7.1 DTS-HD, but it shows up as Multi Channel on my 6006. Could it be due to the fact that I have a 5.1 setup?
post #1698 of 1955
ibissa,

A display of "Multichannel" on the receiver means that the player is decoding the audio and sending the resulting multichannel LPCM to the receiver. If you want the receiver to do the decoding, there are two separate settings in the player which have to be configured: bitstream must be enabled and "secondary audio mix" must be disabled.

Personally I like to be able to hear the menu sounds and the secondary audio tracks used by PIP commentaries, and don't mind not seeing the receiver's decoder lights. The quality of the audio is no different.
post #1699 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

ibissa,

A display of "Multichannel" on the receiver means that the player is decoding the audio and sending the resulting multichannel LPCM to the receiver. If you want the receiver to do the decoding, there are two separate settings in the player which have to be configured: bitstream must be enabled and "secondary audio mix" must be disabled.

Personally I like to be able to hear the menu sounds and the secondary audio tracks used by PIP commentaries, and don't mind not seeing the receiver's decoder lights. The quality of the audio is no different.

Thanks Selden! I'll try your suggestions..
post #1700 of 1955
Another Q. Occasionally my 6006 gets assigned a 169. IP. I understand that happens when the unit cannot get an IP from the router. Is there a way to stop Marantz from assigning an IP address to itself in case if the Home network is unavailable for some reason?
post #1701 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibissa View Post

Another Q. Occasionally my 6006 gets assigned a 169. IP. I understand that happens when the unit cannot get an IP from the router. Is there a way to stop Marantz from assigning an IP address to itself in case if the Home network is unavailable for some reason?

Yes.

See page 112 of the 6006's owner's manual for how to set a fixed IP address. It's usually best to give the receiver a high address so it won't conflict with addresses given out by your DHCP server.
post #1702 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Yes.

See page 112 of the 6006's owner's manual for how to set a fixed IP address. It's usually best to give the receiver a high address so it won't conflict with addresses given out by your DHCP server.

Thanks!
post #1703 of 1955
You're quite welcome.

Be sure to set an address that has the same first three numbers used by your router. If your router's DHCP service hands out addresses like 192.168.1.10, then a fixed address of 192.168.1.150 should be fine.
post #1704 of 1955
Hi guys, I recently purchased a refurb SR5006 from A4L and it's been functioning properly for about a week.

But yesterday, it started shutting down after 10-15 minutes of listening. It's power a pair of Klipsch KG speakers that are very efficient and I listen at moderate level so I don't think I am straining it.

Is this a common problem with this unit? Or am I overlooking something with settings, hookups, etc? Should return this for a replacement?
post #1705 of 1955
Check there isn't a loose speaker wire from one post touching another post.
post #1706 of 1955
Hi there - can anybody share their thoughts on listening to mp3's via iTunes through Airplay as opposed to an Airport Express through an RCA>3.5mm plug to the CD input as far as sound quality? Airplay has been working sporadically for me, while my Airport works just about all the time. Wondering if I'm sacrificing much sound quality playing through the RCA/3.5mm wires? I think I do but it just be the placebo effect knowing I'm using a wire. Thanks!
Edited by jjimmyp2013 - 3/7/13 at 3:24pm
post #1707 of 1955
I thought SR6006 was supposed to upscale the video, but when I play a BD on my S590 to my Sony 3d tv, the picture and sound are unbelievably fantastic. But when I play a regular HD dvd, the picture is not as clear as a BD and a little grainy. Anyone know why that might be? Is there a 6006 control that will give a better picture? Now, when i played the same DVD on my old dvd player to my old Sony HD tv, the picture was great. Any thoughts?

thanks!
post #1708 of 1955
DVDs cannot provide as good an image as BDs can: they're limited to a maximum resolution of 720x480 for NTSC source material and 720x576 for PAL source material. Too many of them are not even that good. I've seen some that are worse than VHS tapes.

There are BD players available which provide a variety of video manipulation options which can be used to improve the appearance of DVDs, but unfortunately the S590 is not one of them frown.gif You'll need to upgrade to a Sony BDP S790, Panasonic DMP-BDT 500 or an Oppo.
post #1709 of 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

DVDs cannot provide as good an image as BDs can: they're limited to a maximum resolution of 720x480 for NTSC source material and 720x576 for PAL source material. Too many of them are not even that good. I've seen some that are worse than VHS tapes.

There are BD players available which provide a variety of video manipulation options which can be used to improve the appearance of DVDs, but unfortunately the S590 is not one of them frown.gif You'll need to upgrade to a Sony BDP S790, Panasonic DMP-BDT 500 or an Oppo.

thanks!
post #1710 of 1955
Hi. I bought a Radio Shack mini to mini mono cable to use my SR6006's 12V DC trigger function. However after a few minutes the mini head on the cable got extremely hot and the insulation even melted a little. What could be the reason? Any suggestions? Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz SR5006 / Marantz SR6006 Receiver Thread