or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread - Page 65

post #1921 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post

Sony is offering a refurb60ex723 but I'm hesitant to try that since 1) Others have switched out to different models refurbs and still have the issue 2) I personally have never had good luck with refurbhised electronics. I asked if there were other alternatives and what is the actual cause that they think a different TV from the same family will fix this issue?

If you don't mind me suggesting, ask Sony about replacing your ex720 with a 65hx729 (if they have any refurbs available) or a 55hx850 (if you don't mind a size reduction). I only suggest these two since they're both 240hz 3D TVs and are a model line upgrade. You can tell Sony your reasoning for suggesting the model as...

65hx729: you feel that the ex720/723 line has an inherent problem and you don't want to go down in size (55") with the hx750 or hx850.

55hx850: you feel that the firmware for the ex720/723 has bugs in it and you want a 3D tv with a different firmware build and since you have a 60", you feel that a 55hx750 wouldn't be a fair resolution as you are giving up the 60" screen you wanted.

Don't settle for anything but a free replacement. I went from a 60ex720 to a 65hx729 at no cost but it took some effort. Granted the hx729 has restarted many times in the first two weeks (same firmware as the ex720), I haven't had one in a month. Plus, aside from a replacement hx729 (which would be pointless since I know the firmware has a bug) the only thing that wouldn't be a step backwards would be an XBR which I feel is too much to ask.

Also point out that you have an error count greater tan zero. That moved things along quickly for me.

Best of luck.
post #1922 of 2039
I am just sad that Sony never bothered to release the 32HX850 or HX750 in US...
post #1923 of 2039
Before disconnecting i had random reboots. I always had at least 1 or 2 a week. I've been reboot free for like a month by staying disconnected.
I see that you use the Internet features of your TV the same way i used to, by using a net cable. In the end my only chance is buying that bravia WIFI dongle and see if the problem has something to do with using a net cable directly to the TV set. Can anyone verify having the reboot problems while using the WIFI dongle so i don't waste my money buying it.
Another thing, the model they are offering you has built in WIFI maybe that will correct this issue, although i'm really second you on having bad problems with refurbished products.
post #1924 of 2039
Completely missed Pioneer_Elte post. If you have a 65hx729 which has built in WIFI and still have reboot problems, it is safe to say that me buying that WIFI dongle will be a complete disappointment.
post #1925 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihchiro View Post

Completely missed Pioneer_Elte post. If you have a 65hx729 which has built in WIFI and still have reboot problems, it is safe to say that me buying that WIFI dongle will be a complete disappointment.

When I got the TV, I noticed that sometimes it couldn't see the wireless network and it would drop the signal. The router doesn't broadcast the name so I'm not sure if it's related but since the router is less than 6 months old (Linksys E3200) and only 6 feet away in the same room, the tv should see a stong signal (was also on the laptop so I could verify the network was working). But since I only use the internet for updates and the occasional Sony 3D demo videos, I didn't spend any time figuring it out and just plugged it in.

I could try to see if the wireless works again and check for reboots, but since it's been over a month since the last reboot and it happens when it happens, I'm not sure how quickly I can answer your questions. My only suggestions would be to buy the adaptor from a Sony store, use it and if it causes reboots return it and say it's having adverse effects on your tv and causing it to reboot. Granted this would only work if it rebooted within the store's return policy window (30 days?).

I'm also curious if the built-in wireless adapter and the usb wi-fi adapter are just different enough (built-in vs external add-on) that the tv will have a slightly different response to it. I know when I talked to a person from Sony following up on the low scores I gave them for the repair/service, I mentioned reservations on the HX729 solving the issue since it uses the same firmware as the EX720 and he thought that even though the firmware is the same, the "bells & whistles" are different on the models that something on the 720 may be the cause of the reboots and that exact feature is not on the 729. Since I still had reboots, I concluded that the firmware was the cause.

Update: I posed this question on the thread to owners of the HX729 and one responded that he uses Wi-Fi and still had the reboot issue, but like me it hasn't happend in awhile. So I don't think the Wi-Fi adapter is a workaround.
Edited by Pioneer_Elte - 9/27/12 at 6:37am
post #1926 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post

If you don't mind me suggesting, ask Sony about replacing your ex720 with a 65hx729 (if they have any refurbs available) or a 55hx850 (if you don't mind a size reduction). I only suggest these two since they're both 240hz 3D TVs and are a model line upgrade. You can tell Sony your reasoning for suggesting the model as...
65hx729: you feel that the ex720/723 line has an inherent problem and you don't want to go down in size (55") with the hx750 or hx850.
55hx850: you feel that the firmware for the ex720/723 has bugs in it and you want a 3D tv with a different firmware build and since you have a 60", you feel that a 55hx750 wouldn't be a fair resolution as you are giving up the 60" screen you wanted.
Don't settle for anything but a free replacement. I went from a 60ex720 to a 65hx729 at no cost but it took some effort. Granted the hx729 has restarted many times in the first two weeks (same firmware as the ex720), I haven't had one in a month. Plus, aside from a replacement hx729 (which would be pointless since I know the firmware has a bug) the only thing that wouldn't be a step backwards would be an XBR which I feel is too much to ask.
Also point out that you have an error count greater tan zero. That moved things along quickly for me.
Best of luck.

Well so far Sony offered a refurb 60ex723. They then discussed checking for a refurb 60nx720 but because that's the gorilla glass model=glossy which would not be a good fit for my viewing environment. I asked about the 65hx729 but was told it's going to cost me additional for a refurb one and the price was a bit steep IMO. There was mention of a 60ex645 coming out but that lacks some features of the ex720 such as 3d. As for 55" I rather not go down in size and if I'm correct that also is glossy screen. I am wondering if Sony might make a new 60" 3d tv in the near future. I believe Sony Support wants to make things right but are limited by their support policies and what if anything is being done by product engineers to pinpoint the issue and resolve it.

As to the reboots it's odd multiple Sony models from the same generation are exhibiting it and yet Sony isn't admitting to a problem that they can fix. If it's the remote sending codes or other minor errors that cause the TV to do a reboot, Sony should be able to correct this. Now if there is a hardware bug/issue affecting multiple models then replacement of something from the same generation may not fix it either. I wonder if anyone has started a poll/thread about this in the LCD area?
Edited by Briant73 - 9/27/12 at 9:55am
post #1927 of 2039
Briant73

Just to let you know, the HX729 does have a fairly glossy screen and I can see the reflection of a lamp on a table while watching, but the 3D is by far better than the EX720 with minimal cross-talk.
If you bought any 3D glasses for the tv, you can make a case to Sony that you purchased their expensive glasses that will be worthless if their replacement offer is non-3D and by charging you to get the HX729, you will lose out financially either way because the rebooting is a problem of their creation and their decision to not have another 3D model in the EX line is not a fault of yours that they can't offer a comparable replacement as outlined under their warranty terms.

The 60EX645 is already listed on their website but that would be downgrade in cost and features compared with what you paid. The EX645 appears to be a EX720 without 3D.
Would they give you anything of value to you to compensate for this?
post #1928 of 2039
Pioneer_Elte thanks for the info on the WIFI adapter.
You mentioned that you just "plugged it in", does that mean that you are connected though your net cable and not using WIFI when you had your reboots? Ahhhhhhhhhh just never mind, It's really been a while since the last reboot , almost a month. So maybe Sony just ironed out the problem, it could have been something related to their server, who knows. Let's just hope they don't come back again.
post #1929 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post

Briant73
Just to let you know, the HX729 does have a fairly glossy screen and I can see the reflection of a lamp on a table while watching, but the 3D is by far better than the EX720 with minimal cross-talk.
If you bought any 3D glasses for the tv, you can make a case to Sony that you purchased their expensive glasses that will be worthless if their replacement offer is non-3D and by charging you to get the HX729, you will lose out financially either way because the rebooting is a problem of their creation and their decision to not have another 3D model in the EX line is not a fault of yours that they can't offer a comparable replacement as outlined under their warranty terms.
The 60EX645 is already listed on their website but that would be downgrade in cost and features compared with what you paid. The EX645 appears to be a EX720 without 3D.
Would they give you anything of value to you to compensate for this?

So far I haven't had any interest in 3d, I got the ex720 because of the price/performance and Sharp's I tried beforehand had issues with flashlighting and motion handling (imo). Thanks for the suggestions right now I am waiting and going to think things over some more.
Edited by Briant73 - 9/29/12 at 10:52am
post #1930 of 2039
I know I am late to the party here, but I am in the market for a 3D LED and Bestbuy has a great deal on the 40" factory re-certified EX720. I am an avid gamer and the set will be used 95% of the time as a gaming set. I was curious if anyone had experience gaming on the set and if anyone notice severe overdrive trailing on the darker side of the color spectrum? Examples of game are Deadspace 1-2, borderlands 1-2 and The darkness ? The are all really dark games that trialing appears in camera panning and dark areas will stretch and smear across the screen. Any input would help in my decision. Thank you. I have been through this entire post and only input lag is mentioned, so that is why I inquire.
post #1931 of 2039
I am having randomly reboots with the latest firmware PKG4.012AAA once to two time a day. What you people recommend me to do ? Contact Sony, or wait for a firmware update ? Also what I can do to reduce the crosstalk in 3d ?
post #1932 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamsoto View Post

I am having randomly reboots with the latest firmware PKG4.012AAA once to two time a day. What you people recommend me to do ? Contact Sony, or wait for a firmware update ? Also what I can do to reduce the crosstalk in 3d ?

The only thing you can do about the reboots is call Sony to get it documented. It's been a problem for a least the past few firmware updates. Sony doesn't know what causes it and sometimes you'll get someone at Sony who states that this can happen and is normal.

The crosstalk will vary depending on the program and sometimes channel/movie studio. Having gone from an EX720 to a HX729, I can tell you that the 120Hz refresh rate is the main cause of the crosstalk, because while watching a 3D blu-ray there was crosstalk on some scenes with the ex720 while the hx729 did not have crosstalk at the same scenes (the player and cables used being the same for both).
post #1933 of 2039
abrahamsoto

Try disconnecting the TV from the internet, no network cable. To me that stopped the freezes and reboots. Don't know if connecting using a WIFI dongle will work OK as i don't have one.
I know that maybe not using your internet features from your tv is unacceptable, but by doing that i have been able to be reboot free for a while.
When i had the freezes and reboots, they where always just after start up and just once it rebooted after a hang while playing with the internet widgets for the first time.
To me it must be some kind of a network communication error that causes the hang up and releases the watchdog timer (WDT) system reset. The reboots are just triggered by the WDT timer after a hang (that to me is network communication related, maybe firmware(hope), or Hardware (if it is hardware then we are screwed) ), every time it reboots the 103 HOST WDT error counter increases.
You can check this counter by pressing display, 5, vol -, power (starting with the TV powered off).
post #1934 of 2039
i've had my 60ex720 for about 6 months now and never had a reboot. it was a replacement for dlp optical block problem.

i've never connected my tv to the internet. either via ethernet or wireless.

after reading about all the problems people are having even with the ex720 and replacements, i too was thinking it might be something connected to the tv that that the tv doesn't like and is causing the reboots.

for someone having constant reboots, try disconnecting everything from the tv and try connecting stuff individually over a period of time to see if there is something common causing the reboots.
post #1935 of 2039
This is my first post on this forum so thanks in advance for any help. I just recently bought a Sony kdl60ex723 from a local best buy. It was on clearance for 1630 plus tax. I am happy with the tv but after looking at the specs of the newer ex645 I am just wondering if the price difference is worth it?? The only differences I see are the Bravia 3/x-reality engine and the 3d capability. i am not a huge fan of 3d and watch mostly hd content.
post #1936 of 2039
A new firmware update just appeared: PKG4.017AAA. I wonder what it does.
post #1937 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaquish View Post

This is my first post on this forum so thanks in advance for any help. I just recently bought a Sony kdl60ex723 from a local best buy. It was on clearance for 1630 plus tax. I am happy with the tv but after looking at the specs of the newer ex645 I am just wondering if the price difference is worth it?? The only differences I see are the Bravia 3/x-reality engine and the 3d capability. i am not a huge fan of 3d and watch mostly hd content.
Aside from the differences you noted, I believe it is essentially the same tv. I think Sony realized that having 3D capabilities on a 120Hz TV was causing most of the cross-talk owners were complaining about since the cross-talk was very nauseating at times. Also, since the EX is their lower mid-range line, they weren't going to up the refresh rate to 240Hz to solve the problem, because the tv would have almost identical specs to their HX line. So they came probably came out with the 645 line (7-- series and up are 3D, 6-- series are non-3D) to quietly address and resolve this problem. If 3D isn't something you're interested in, I would save your money.
post #1938 of 2039
hello,
If anyone can help me pls will be wonderful.i almost tried everything.
I have Sony Bravia ex720
nvidia gtx 590.
my tv works fine on ps3 the 3d mode.when i tried to connect to pc with dvi to hdmi works fine but not the 3d mode.i read forums,blogs,...and alot....i tried 3dtv play from nvidia and cant find my tv.ex720 is on the list on nvidia that it can play it.
i download latest drivers,i used 3dvision on my nvidia setup but the test i cant pass it because my 3d not work i dont know why.
i change the reccomend settings on tv for pc .i enalbe 3d,my glasses are working fine,but nothing.i cant find why....can nayone help me plssssssss .......my mind go only on cable.....i cant think anything else....my cable is dual link i think dvi from gtx590 to hdmi to sony bravia....
post #1939 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderer View Post

hello,
If anyone can help me pls will be wonderful.i almost tried everything.
I have Sony Bravia ex720
nvidia gtx 590.
my tv works fine on ps3 the 3d mode.when i tried to connect to pc with dvi to hdmi works fine but not the 3d mode.i read forums,blogs,...and alot....i tried 3dtv play from nvidia and cant find my tv.ex720 is on the list on nvidia that it can play it.
i download latest drivers,i used 3dvision on my nvidia setup but the test i cant pass it because my 3d not work i dont know why.
i change the reccomend settings on tv for pc .i enalbe 3d,my glasses are working fine,but nothing.i cant find why....can nayone help me plssssssss .......my mind go only on cable.....i cant think anything else....my cable is dual link i think dvi from gtx590 to hdmi to sony bravia....

Step 0. Windows 7 + Latest Official nVidia drivers installed
Step 1. Enable 3D Vision (go to your start menu->nvidia corporation)
Step 2. Go to nVidia control panel and change the resolution now you will see HD3D resolution is available.
Use Sony glasses with the TV, nVidia 3DVision glasses will not work.
Follow the 3DTV Play instructions if it is the first time you enable 3DVision.
post #1940 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderer View Post

hello,
If anyone can help me pls will be wonderful.i almost tried everything.
I have Sony Bravia ex720
nvidia gtx 590.
my tv works fine on ps3 the 3d mode.when i tried to connect to pc with dvi to hdmi works fine but not the 3d mode.i read forums,blogs,...and alot....i tried 3dtv play from nvidia and cant find my tv.ex720 is on the list on nvidia that it can play it.
i download latest drivers,i used 3dvision on my nvidia setup but the test i cant pass it because my 3d not work i dont know why.
i change the reccomend settings on tv for pc .i enalbe 3d,my glasses are working fine,but nothing.i cant find why....can nayone help me plssssssss .......my mind go only on cable.....i cant think anything else....my cable is dual link i think dvi from gtx590 to hdmi to sony bravia....
Looks like you need to use a dual-link dvi and a compatible female dual-link dvi-male hdmi adapter.
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2621/
post #1941 of 2039
Question about Picture in Picture please. I have a 40EX720 and Cablevision recently switched to all digital. Is there any way to get picture in picture now (other than connecting rabbit ears or an analog antenna)? Thanks very much in advance.
post #1942 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan2 View Post

Question about Picture in Picture please. I have a 40EX720 and Cablevision recently switched to all digital. Is there any way to get picture in picture now (other than connecting rabbit ears or an analog antenna)? Thanks very much in advance.
Allan2, I have FiOS but what I did that works for me is:
1) use a coax splitter, take the coax line going into the cable box and connect it to the in side of the splitter.
2) Connect one output to cable box and the other output to the cable in connector on the tv.
3) on tv remote press...(a) Home (b) Settings (c) Channels & inputs (d) Add digital channels

Let the tv find the channels ~ 30-40 mins. Once that is done, you should be able to get most basic broadcast channels like ABC, CBS & NBC (the others require the cable card to descramble). Just remember to enter the channels using the decimal point to get the digital channel...(i.e. 2.1 or 4.1 instead of 2 or 4).
post #1943 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post

Allan2, I have FiOS but what I did that works for me is:
1) use a coax splitter, take the coax line going into the cable box and connect it to the in side of the splitter.
2) Connect one output to cable box and the other output to the cable in connector on the tv.
3) on tv remote press...(a) Home (b) Settings (c) Channels & inputs (d) Add digital channels
Let the tv find the channels ~ 30-40 mins. Once that is done, you should be able to get most basic broadcast channels like ABC, CBS & NBC (the others require the cable card to descramble). Just remember to enter the channels using the decimal point to get the digital channel...(i.e. 2.1 or 4.1 instead of 2 or 4).

Actually I won't need a splitter (I have a bunch of splits coming into the room feeding 2 tivo's, the cable box, a dvd player and the tv --- don't ask smile.gif ). Anyway, I hadn't thought of adding digital channels. I'll do it now - thanks VERY much for your response.

EDIT - works great - thanks again smile.gif
Edited by Allan2 - 12/10/12 at 9:04am
post #1944 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Main Event View Post

A new firmware update just appeared: PKG4.017AAA. I wonder what it does.

From the SONY Website:
This software update (version PKG4.017AAA) provides the following benefits: Improvements over version PKG4.012AAA:
  • Improved performance and stability of the Internet features

I wish they would publish a more complete change log so we can know if they are addressing the reboot/restart issue.
post #1945 of 2039
I can confirm it doesn't. Happened once since the update.
post #1946 of 2039
Well guess what, I'm yet another 55EX720 owner with the reboot issue! Here's my story...

Had a KDS55A2000 set with the optical block defect. Sony denied there was anything wrong, claiming I need to let the set warm up. Even sent a tech to the house who told us to ignore it. So, just weeks before the extended warranty runs out, and with the problem getting much worse, I discover there was a class action suit. Contact Sony, they finally cave and offer an EX620 as a replacement, which IMO, looked awful. Asked for the EX720 instead, which they agreed, upon paying a price difference for the upgrade. Wasn't interested in its extra features, just wanted a set with preferable image.

So get the EX720, love it to death and happy with it. Within a few weeks I start to notice something abnormal...it spontaneously rebooting itself. Get a black screen with the Sony logo, restarts. Seems to happen at power up, if I try and use the remote-control right away. Sometimes it weird glitches occur, like adjusting volume but there is NO on-screen display bar....or there is a big lag between pushing buttons and the TV responding. Sometimes it just won't respond at all, like it's locked up. Moments later it will reboot as a result.

The most annoying thing is when this occurs, my Rovi TV guide (linked to the TV's built-in ATSC tuner; I use an antenna) loses *ALL* its guide information. All the channel listings are blanked, and I generally have to wait 12-24 hours for it to re-download and update itself.

I called Sony support and told they never heard of this problem, but I should just wait 30 second or so before touching the remote, let it warm up (sounds familiar!). Later something more serious happens where I just get a blinking red LED on the front of the set and it won't turn back on! I had to unplug it and wait, but it came back to life. Contact Sony again, this time they recommend I factory reset it. Do that, it actually works great for a couple of weeks....responds instantly to the remote at start up, no reboots. Unfortunately this did not last and the problem came back!

This time support sends a tech to my house. He opens my EX720 and replaces the motherboard and IR sensor. I checked and the revision of the board is newer than my old one. Afterwards the set seems fine for a few days, and then starts doing the reboots....again! Argh.

As others mentioned, sometimes I can turn it on and not even touch the remote. Then, 5 minutes later it reboots itself and I lose all my Rovi guide information. It's a minor annoyance, but I'm concerned it will eventually get worse and the TV outright fail. I'm rather annoyed that Sony is again denying there is a problem, or that I'm the only one affected. I hope it's just a firmware glitch that an update will eventually resolve. At least it's good to see I'm not the only one....it's a bit refreshing to see I'm not crazy, other people are having the same issue!
post #1947 of 2039
Hey guys, I got a 32EX720 here. I had tried to plug in my audio-jack cable to my Hi-Fi, but when i played it, only left side of speaker is produce sound.
There's no issue on the cable itself, as i had tried on other device.
post #1948 of 2039
Quote:
Hey guys, I got a 32EX720 here. I had tried to plug in my audio-jack cable to my Hi-Fi, but when i played it, only left side of speaker is produce sound.
There's no issue on the cable itself, as i had tried on other device.
As a test, trying plug in a pair of headphones directly to your EX720. Is there sound out of both channels? Apart from that, I'd check the audio source (that it's not monaural), that it's a stereo cable with two bands present on the metal tip and that it's properly inserted (firmly!) on both ends.
post #1949 of 2039
Welcome to the 720 thread. I have a feeling Sony knows what's going on but eiher they can't fix it or refuse to fix it.
post #1950 of 2039
I purchased a EX723 from Best Buy on clearance and have read through some of this thread. Having 2 main issues with my set : severe flashlighting/clouding and a single dead pixel. I've tried sony's recommended settings to reduce the clouding but it doesn't seem to help. I've reached out to sony and they are supposed to be sending a tech out to take a look . Are there any stories about sony replacing the tv with a newer model due to this issue? Even though I got the TV on discount, I don';t know if I can live with the clouding issue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread