or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2011 Mitsubishi DLP WD-73640 official thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2011 Mitsubishi DLP WD-73640 official thread - Page 5

post #121 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanazarko View Post

If you dont care about it being a flat screen, then i'd strongly advise the mitsubishi wd-82740 without a doubt in my mind. Shop around and you'll be able to find it for under $2000. I actually saw a wd-92840 for $3200 at onecall. I was so tempted! But then i'd have to replace my entire home theatre cabinet


Anyone got any links for the 82740 under 2k? Im not seeing anything close...
post #122 of 1872
Ps... what's the difference between the 640 and the 740?
post #123 of 1872
Hello,


I'm new here, new to 3D, have had a 55" WS-55859, since 02'. I stumble across this thread, when my wife (who works for HSN taking phone orders) told me they were going to be getting the new Mitsubishi 3D HDTV's, in late Aug, or mid Sep. Anyway I've been reading the thread here since Aug. I just joined, as I want to get help, and (as and IT Tech) hopefully help others.

Well, two weeks ago, I pulled the trigger on the 73640, after seeing such glorious reviews. Wow I'm overjoyed with the picture quality

I didn't know this was the type which(didn't) need a 3d adapter and I bought the 3dc-1000
off amazon, the same day as the TV.
It's all here, I have both my DVR and PS3 connected via HDMI high speed cables.
I've unpacked the starter box (3dc-1000), but then I found out, after reading a page in this thread, (I somehow missed on my smart phone) about not needing the 3d adapter box.

I thought I'd try Black Ops in 3d, and set the 3D to automatic, and DLP link to standard. Next I turned the 3d glasses on, (as the tv prompted, the "you need to be wearing 3d glasses") but everything appears blurry, like there is almost two of things but not quite.
[reminds me of what you would see at the older 3d movies in cyan/magenta if you looked outside your glasses at the movie screen] just not in colors. Anyone know what I mean?

Do I need to connect the box to the IR emitter port on the back?
(I thought I'd learned I don't, unless I read something wrong)
These glasses blink twice, and then the light goes off.
(I don't want to wake the wife, (works nights) and will if I have to turn on a light to read the manual)

Should I just send this box back and buy a few pairs of the 3d glasses recommened here?

Thanks, I'm slightly lost and would love to play some COD Black Ops in 3D.

Next is connecting the Yamaha 7.1 surround, but that's another day & another thread...
post #124 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelthrust View Post

Ps... what's the difference between the 640 and the 740?

I have looked at both, they appear the same, but it looks like the 740 has Stream TV,
(I know the 640 has VuDu, but I don't know if they are different). However, considering the price difference, there must be something...
post #125 of 1872
I got it figured out. Turns out, I'll return the 3ds-1000, and get a few pairs of DLP link glasses, discussed earlier in this thread.
post #126 of 1872
Oops. I put this on the 2010 Mitsu dlp page:

5 days ago I purchased 73 in model 7340. I love the DLP "look"; this was bought to replace Sony XBR Grand WEGA 50in (from 2006), which was excellent. I noticed and (none of the sales folks or tech people seem to comprehend, though they acknowledge it is present in the pix I sent them) some SERIOUS problems in the image bleeding in to the 'black bars' + giving characters halos. Color doesnt matter but Whites seem to be the worst. Sony NEVER did anything like this. Does the same on HD or non HD source; satellite, blu ray (Pioneer Elite), standard def DVD - connected directly or via Pioneer Elite receiver. Doesnt matter. changed out HDMI cables, power strip, plugged TV in to 3 diff walls including the outlet I paid (back in 2006) to have it's own source etc. AND they brought a new one and plugged in - same issue. Odd to me that Mitsu would let something this poorly projecting out on the market. No one here seems to mention... Best analogy is everything is like a sloppy paint job with reflected light pulling heads or lights into the black bars. Like 'overspray' if you had your car painted. Anyone seen this ?
post #127 of 1872
I've got a 73640.... Don't need web surfing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanazarko View Post

If you dont care about it being a flat screen, then i'd strongly advise the mitsubishi wd-82740 without a doubt in my mind. Shop around and you'll be able to find it for under $2000. I actually saw a wd-92840 for $3200 at onecall. I was so tempted! But then i'd have to replace my entire home theatre cabinet
post #128 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post

I've got a 73640.... Don't need web surfing.

I would never advise anyone to get a 73740 over a 73640. Unfortunately to get an 82" you have to get a **740 series unfortunately however. Ideally i'd like a 92640 if they made such a product, especially if it was under $3000.
post #129 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanazarko View Post

I would never advise anyone to get a 73740 over a 73640. Unfortunately to get an 82" you have to get a **740 series unfortunately however. Ideally i'd like a 92640 if they made such a product, especially if it was under $3000.

So the only difference at all is web surfing?
post #130 of 1872
There is supposedly a 'faster' screen, but side by side I didn't see any difference, and both were set about the same... contrast brightness bulb settings...


Quote:
Originally Posted by angelthrust View Post

So the only difference at all is web surfing?
post #131 of 1872
I recently upgraded from the 65732 to the 73640 and notice a huge lag while playing black ops, I think it gets better and worse when I adjust the contrast. I also notice less of a lag while playing in 3D, though Im not a huge fan. Has anyone else seen this and is there a fix?
post #132 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustacci View Post

I recently upgraded from the 65732 to the 73640 and notice a huge lag while playing black ops, I think it gets better and worse when I adjust the contrast. I also notice less of a lag while playing in 3D, though Im not a huge fan. Has anyone else seen this and is there a fix?

Wow, now im pretty scared about this tv.... some ppl say there's no lag, you say this... what to do? What to do?
post #133 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelthrust View Post

Wow, now im pretty scared about this tv.... some ppl say there's no lag, you say this... what to do? What to do?

Well I messed around with a lot of things, including the PS3 output, I unchecked 720p so it would force the PS3 to upscale to 1080. You know the more I thought about it the lag was not there until I had the set for a bit. I will change the PS3 output and follow up to my post. But I repeat, the lag was not there until I messed with it, hoping somone else had done the same things.
post #134 of 1872
So after much reading I beleive Black Ops has a native resoluton of 720p and by unchecking this 720p on my PS3 it forces the PS3 to upscale causing the lag, but will confirm this tomorrow am.
post #135 of 1872
Ok, amazing results. Unchecked 1080i, re-checked 720p and viola!! 0 lag, better picture. Upscaling was causing the issue. Back to normal if not better
post #136 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustacci View Post

So after much reading I beleive Black Ops has a native resoluton of 720p and by unchecking this 720p on my PS3 it forces the PS3 to upscale causing the lag, but will confirm this tomorrow am.

I'll confirm. Black Ops in 720p looks great on mine, but I never tried to upscale. I'm hoping to get my set professionally calibrated soon, as I find myself messing with the contrast, for 3D play, but I am not sure, this isn't just a neccessity, being new to 3D.
post #137 of 1872
Does anyone know if the 73640 supports discrete codes? This would be the only reason I would personally have to upgread to the 73740.
post #138 of 1872
I'll check, but you'll have to explain "Discrete Codes" in more detail....
P.S. I finally got my Inspiron 1720 VGA port to go to 1920x 1080.... Works like a charm now with the converter!!! !



Quote:
Originally Posted by KMB View Post

Does anyone know if the 73640 supports discrete codes? This would be the only reason I would personally have to upgread to the 73740.
post #139 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post

I'll check, but you'll have to explain "Discrete Codes" in more detail....
P.S. I finally got my Inspiron 1720 VGA port to go to 1920x 1080.... Works like a charm now with the converter!!! !

By discrete codes, can you select HDMI2 with on press on the remote instead of cycling through a menu. Power on/off is very important also - can power on be a separate button from power off.
post #140 of 1872
Try this trick.... Set your HDMI2 as the center button of Favorites...
Two button presses.... Favorites, enter! Done!!
I asked wife to make a list which channels or inputs are her favorites, and I programmed them into the favorites... Most favorite in center, and other favorites based on fewest keystrokes... So Cable Box is in center, Individual TV Channels and BluRay and DVR (Which is the output of a Wireless controlled Component HD 4x1 switcher -- Which is the coolest thing of the new DLP install!) around the center location....
Only the PC VGA to HDMI converter is called up on the menu....



Quote:
Originally Posted by KMB View Post

By discrete codes, can you select HDMI2 with on press on the remote instead of cycling through a menu. Power on/off is very important also - can power on be a separate button from power off.
post #141 of 1872
Thanks Jan.
post #142 of 1872
I've been looking at and comparing the 73740 and 73640 tv's and I noticed no one has pointed out that the 740 has a built in IR Emitter for glasses so you would not have to buy one if you didnt want to use DLP Link.
post #143 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_awd View Post

I've been looking at and comparing the 73740 and 73640 tv's and I noticed no one has pointed out that the 740 has a built in IR Emitter for glasses so you would not have to buy one if you didnt want to use DLP Link.

Thats because its not worth the price premium for those few options. You can get an IR or RF emitter for around $100. With the right DLP Link glasses, its not worth it. Most places around me have the 740 for no less than a $600 price difference. I bought my 640 at Pauls in August for 1349 vs. 1999 at the time. Same screen, same light engine. Only internet option and emitter difference.
post #144 of 1872
the room I have my 73640 in, was built back in the 50's, and I've had to have the displays, sitting in the corner facing out. The Mits is on a stand, I originally built for my old 55" and it's 44" tall. The recliners all face it, from 6'-8' in front, and the view is great.

We had some friends over to watch Avatar 3D, and a friend(who is only 5' tall) of my wife, said the screen looked darker from her sitting position, (which was on an old leather office chair, I brought in, as she didn't like the recliner, as she felt it swallowed her up) which would be more toward the far right side of the screen, and down, another several inches, in height due to the max up position of the office chair.

I had her get up, and I lowered the seat, so it would offset my height at 6'3"
I then could see that the picture is indeed darker from that position.

Is this what I called a geometry issue, here on this forum?
Is there anything I can do to fix this with the Mits settings?

If not, I'll be forced to build another cabinet, to fit this display, at a lower height, but my wife & I prefer looking up, at the display, with our home theater, like anyone would at the Movie theater.

What would be the maximum height, the stand could be, to prevent this "darker viewing position?"
post #145 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnygothisgun View Post

the room I have my 73640 in, was built back in the 50's, and I've had to have the displays, sitting in the corner facing out. The Mits is on a stand, I originally built for my old 55" and it's 44" tall. The recliners all face it, from 6'-8' in front, and the view is great.

We had some friends over to watch Avatar 3D, and a friend(who is only 5' tall) of my wife, said the screen looked darker from her sitting position, (which was on an old leather office chair, I brought in, as she didn't like the recliner, as she felt it swallowed her up) which would be more toward the far right side of the screen, and down, another several inches, in height due to the max up position of the office chair.

I had her get up, and I lowered the seat, so it would offset my height at 6'3"
I then could see that the picture is indeed darker from that position.

Is this what I called a geometry issue, here on this forum?
Is there anything I can do to fix this with the Mits settings?

If not, I'll be forced to build another cabinet, to fit this display, at a lower height, but my wife & I prefer looking up, at the display, with our home theater, like anyone would at the Movie theater.

What would be the maximum height, the stand could be, to prevent this "darker viewing position?"

No thats just the vertical viewing angle limit, you'll have to lower the tv, or maybe you can angle the stand slightly so it leans forward.
post #146 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_awd View Post


No thats just the vertical viewing angle limit, you'll have to lower the tv, or maybe you can angle the stand slightly so it leans forward.

Thanks
post #147 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustacci View Post

Ok, amazing results. Unchecked 1080i, re-checked 720p and viola!! 0 lag, better picture. Upscaling was causing the issue. Back to normal if not better

HI ALL, ok good to here; but do you have to switch back to 1080p for movies? so for me i would be a hassle to flip back an forth. But who knows....
post #148 of 1872
I checked.... I can set resolution on my sources, but whereas I got a prompt with every source change in my Mits 62525, on the 73640 it never tells me what resolution the source is at.... Has anyone found a way of displaying that?
post #149 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post

I checked.... I can set resolution on my sources, but whereas I got a prompt with every source change in my Mits 62525, on the 73640 it never tells me what resolution the source is at.... Has anyone found a way of displaying that?

Remote=Bottom left-INFO button
post #150 of 1872
So can any one confirm that the internals are the same between the 740 & 640? I see that the 638 has a different video processor then the 738. From what I have been reading the 638 lacks advanced settings also.

Did they change the 600 line this year? I am stuck between the 740 and 640. I will have to pay MSRP for either up here since no one will ship tv's to AK (I wouldnt want to chance it getting broken on that long of a trip any way). I haven't had a chance to see these yet, hoping to make it to the local mits dealer today. The upside is that they calibrate them for free.

I don't NEED the net features of the 740 but the built in IR emitter would be nice, plus you get 2 free pairs of glasses right now with it but not the 640. If the image processing is the same I'll get the 640.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2011 Mitsubishi DLP WD-73640 official thread