or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Antiglare / Antireflective coating peeling on new Samsung plasma?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Antiglare / Antireflective coating peeling on new Samsung plasma? - Page 38

post #1111 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz23 View Post

The problem with the volume test the screen is 98% all black when they do it hence there's not much power being used by the TV, it's not a true test for normal viewing conditions, the buzz is a lot louder when the screen has a high contrast picture or a all White scene, the sound test should be done with a White screen.

I know the test isn't great and people are generally not satisfied. I'm just saying that there is a test that is employed in the field that consumers can try.

The biggest problem I have with any test that requires the use of one's ears is that nobody has given the techs a hearing test to determine what frequencies they can hear at what volume levels. What I can hear at 8ft may not be what somebody else can hear...we just don't know until we've both had our hearing checked.
post #1112 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

That would drive me nuts in about an hour. Totally unacceptable, as it's clearly audible with a normal volume level.

I have a 2010 model Samsung that makes no buzz at all with normal content. With a totally white screen, there is an audible buzz but you must be within a foot of the screen to hear it with the tv sound muted. Any level of volume on the tv speakers and it is inaudible.

I consider this acceptable as part of the technology. Clearly not what was demonstrated here.

All plasmas buzz a little bit. If you think your PDP is buzing too loudly, file a warranty claim. The worse case is that the techs show up and deny it. Obviously, it would be helpful if you can reproduce the buzz at its loudest when they show up.
post #1113 of 1203
I ordered a PN59D7000 on September 8th and it was delivered on September 15th. Unfortunately it is a May build date. It is peeling (started straight out of the box) and the buzzing is pretty severe at 8-15ft, but only directly in front of the screen. (The buzz isn't projected to off-angle viewers) The peeling is nearly identical to the OP's pic (top left corner).

I've pushed it back down with a lens cloth only to have it pop up again after some viewing. It's starting to grow and dip down into the pixel range.

I was especially aggravated that even though I ordered in September I got a May manufactured set. I called Electronics Expo and received a call back from Renee stating they were aware of the issue and would be happy to ship me a new set, but they couldn't guarantee the manufacture date. She mentioned they expected a new shipment in and if I would like I could get one from that shipment in the hope of getting a set manufactured later in the year. Especially with the buzzing, this sounded like the best option. She also gave me the option to have one cross-shipped so that I wouldn't be without a set. All in all, great service from a "budget" distributor. I still plan to call Samsung in case Renee's offer disappears just to make sure there's a record of my having reported the issue with the set within a week of having received it. I didn't want to have to play the panel lotto, but keep your fingers crossed I get lucky!
post #1114 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bovee View Post

I ordered a PN59D7000 on September 8th and it was delivered on September 15th. Unfortunately it is a May build date. It is peeling (started straight out of the box) and the buzzing is pretty severe at 8-15ft, but only directly in front of the screen. (The buzz isn't projected to off-angle viewers) The peeling is nearly identical to the OP's pic (top left corner).

I've pushed it back down with a lens cloth only to have it pop up again after some viewing. It's starting to grow and dip down into the pixel range.

I was especially aggravated that even though I ordered in September I got a May manufactured set. I called Electronics Expo and received a call back from Renee stating they were aware of the issue and would be happy to ship me a new set, but they couldn't guarantee the manufacture date. She mentioned they expected a new shipment in and if I would like I could get one from that shipment in the hope of getting a set manufactured later in the year. Especially with the buzzing, this sounded like the best option. She also gave me the option to have one cross-shipped so that I wouldn't be without a set. All in all, great service from a "budget" distributor. I still plan to call Samsung in case Renee's offer disappears just to make sure there's a record of my having reported the issue with the set within a week of having received it. I didn't want to have to play the panel lotto, but keep your fingers crossed I get lucky!

Sounds just like, peeling out of the box and a ridiculous buzz...Ironically enough it seems the buzzing has tamed itself but still gets really loud at times???

I haven't call USAppliance for a new one yet
post #1115 of 1203
I'd call them and request a cross-ship, see if they can just drop one off when they pick yours up. I think you'll regret NOT calling them back a lot more, especially if the peeling / buzzing worsens.
post #1116 of 1203
This is odd...my TV hasn't buzzed at all today and has been on and off for about 6-8 hours

Still need a new one because of the peel though, but interesting that I went from a bee hive to silent
post #1117 of 1203
Thx to this thread/site, I knew what to look for before selecting my TV. I decided to go with the 59D8000 - just purchased from BB (saved $1,100 too good to pass up) today, and it will be here Saturday.

Naturally I am hoping it's a Aug/Sept build, but at least BB is aware of the peeling too - and are prepared for it to come back - should I refuse delivery upon inspection.

So here's keeping fingers crossed, as I REALLY need a TV (mine takes 2+ hours to warm up, to even get a picture! lol). Thx to all of you for posting here, it's helped a newbie like me - be prepared.
post #1118 of 1203
No peeling, no buzzing, on a 59D7000 now one month old with a June 2011 build. Great set!

CD
post #1119 of 1203
Just called USAppliance for an exchange

That was super easy, no questions asked

Too bad I have a peeler because that ridiculous buzz is completely gone (I posted the video earlier of the loud buzz) Plus I spent about an hour last night adjusting the picture and it looks pretty darn good
post #1120 of 1203
I have a Samsung PN64D8000. August 2011 build. No peeling. FYI.
post #1121 of 1203
For all new owners of the D7000 and D8000 in 64" size, can you please tell me what build month you got and from where you bought it, i don't need the price.

I am just trying to see where different stores are at in their actual inventory.
I returned my peeler a few months back, was one of the early adopters (of a D8000) and i don't want to order another yet until i know the store i order from (which is still not decided yet) has very current inventory, e.g. August and preferably September builds on hand as one person has claimed to have received.

Let's here those months!

Thanks and keep the updates coming!!
post #1122 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams View Post

For all new owners of the D7000 and D8000 in 64" size, can you please tell me what build month you got and from where you bought it, i don't need the price.

I am just trying to see where different stores are at in their actual inventory.
I returned my peeler a few months back, was one of the early adopters (of a D8000) and i don't want to order another yet until i know the store i order from (which is still not decided yet) has very current inventory, e.g. August and preferably September builds on hand as one person has claimed to have received.

Let's here those months!

Thanks and keep the updates coming!!

I have a 64D7000, June build date, from Abt.com. Mine's a peeler but minimal buzzing. Arranged for a cross ship, for a new one. Best customer service I've ever had. Highly recommend Megan at Abt.com. Hopefully, I'll get a later build date w/out any problems.
post #1123 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtriathlete View Post

I have a 64D7000, June build date, from Abt.com. Mine's a peeler but minimal buzzing. Arranged for a cross ship, for a new one. Best customer service I've ever had. Highly recommend Megan at Abt.com. Hopefully, I'll get a later build date w/out any problems.

I've had dealing with ABT when they were the only MK Sound distributor here in the US, definitely the best customer service and highly recommended!
post #1124 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

I've had dealing with ABT when they were the only MK Sound distributor here in the US, defiantly the best customer service and highly recommended!

So the CSR's are defiant?
post #1125 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

So the CSR's are defiant?

To funny, post reflects correction.
post #1126 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

To funny, post reflects correction.

That should be TOO funny. I love it when fellow forum members show that they have a sense of humor! Way too serious around here most of the time
post #1127 of 1203
After a few months I noticed a small triangular peel at the right upper corner but not reaching the pixels. Will this peel likely continue onto the pixels or is it common for it to stop peeling?
post #1128 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

After a few months I noticed a small triangular peel at the right upper corner but not reaching the pixels. Will this peel likely continue onto the pixels or is it common for it to stop peeling?

I was about to ask the same question. After a month, I see the exact same thing. Upper right corner, not reaching the pixels. I wonder if I should call it in. If it stays this way and doesn't get worse, I can live with it. I don't want it to get worse though.

1. Should I call it in now? and risk them saying that it's too small of an issue for them to fix it.

or

2. Do I wait and have it potentially get worse. How long is our warranty for? I don't want to wait too long, have it get worse, and then need to pay for the fix out of my own pocket.
post #1129 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post

I was about to ask the same question. After a month, I see the exact same thing. Upper right corner, not reaching the pixels. I wonder if I should call it in. If it stays this way and doesn't get worse, I can live with it. I don't want it to get worse though.

1. Should I call it in now? and risk them saying that it's too small of an issue for them to fix it.

or

2. Do I wait and have it potentially get worse. How long is our warranty for? I don't want to wait too long, have it get worse, and then need to pay for the fix out of my own pocket.

I'll take option 2, wait and have it get potentially worse!
post #1130 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post

I was about to ask the same question. After a month, I see the exact same thing. Upper right corner, not reaching the pixels. I wonder if I should call it in. If it stays this way and doesn't get worse, I can live with it. I don't want it to get worse though.

1. Should I call it in now? and risk them saying that it's too small of an issue for them to fix it.

or

2. Do I wait and have it potentially get worse. How long is our warranty for? I don't want to wait too long, have it get worse, and then need to pay for the fix out of my own pocket.

#1 is my opinion
The Y504 builds seem to be the answer. My TV is awesome, so glad I exchanged it. No buzz, no peel, great blacks, runs cool
post #1131 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

#1 is my opinion
The Y504 builds seem to be the answer. My TV is awesome, so glad I exchanged it. No buzz, no peel, great blacks, runs cool

What is the process of panel replacement? Is it performed in-house, local authorized shop, or a service center?
post #1132 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

What is the process of panel replacement? Is it performed in-house, local authorized shop, or a service center?

I exchanged for a new TV through my 30 day policy at USAppliance
post #1133 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

What is the process of panel replacement? Is it performed in-house, local authorized shop, or a service center?


The replacement is done in your home. It takes about 30-45 minutes.

Larry
post #1134 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post

I was about to ask the same question. After a month, I see the exact same thing. Upper right corner, not reaching the pixels. I wonder if I should call it in. If it stays this way and doesn't get worse, I can live with it. I don't want it to get worse though.

1. Should I call it in now? and risk them saying that it's too small of an issue for them to fix it.

or

2. Do I wait and have it potentially get worse. How long is our warranty for? I don't want to wait too long, have it get worse, and then need to pay for the fix out of my own pocket.

You should call it in now. You don't want to risk it getting worse because you can't know when it will happen. Just do it now. It isn't much trouble.
post #1135 of 1203
So I just got my new D7000 since my first one was a peeler. Now, my current one doesn't have the peeling issue and somehow, the picture looks even better. BUT, the buzzing is really loud, now. Are there any fixes for the buzzing issue?

My tv is on a stand against a wall. If I put some Auralex sound insulation on the wall behind the TV, do you think that will help? I'm thinking that the buzzing is reflecting off the wall. I'm 12' away and I can hear the buzzing.

Thanks for your help.
post #1136 of 1203
Hello Forum

Bought a PN59D6500 from hhgregg last friday! took it home and the set didn't even turn ON!!! nothing, defective out of the box. So call back hhgregg and the offer me a discount on the D8000, story short got the D8000 May 2011 batch had it for one day and then the peeling started on the upper left and 4 bubbles on the left-center. Call hhgregg again and there replacing this set.

is this possible one that came defective out of the box and the second with this peeling issue? makes me think that Samsung's quallity control SUCKS! big time or there sending second hand products to hhgregg.

Hope that this third time is the charm and get a good copy.
post #1137 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by iburdeinick View Post

Hello Forum

Bought a PN59D6500 from hhgregg last friday! took it home and the set didn't even turn ON!!! nothing, defective out of the box. So call back hhgregg and the offer me a discount on the D8000, story short got the D8000 May 2011 batch had it for one day and then the peeling started on the upper left and 4 bubbles on the left-center. Call hhgregg again and there replacing this set.

is this possible one that came defective out of the box and the second with this peeling issue? makes me think that Samsung's quallity control SUCKS! big time or there sending second hand products to hhgregg.

Hope that this third time is the charm and get a good copy.

Of course its possible. Welcome to the Samsung owners club!!!!
post #1138 of 1203
GSD Trainer... Well guess what!? hhgregg delivered the new D8000 today and out of the box had already bubbles??? OH man! unbelievable jaja amazing... call back and I'm exchanging The Samsung for a Panasonic Viera TCP60GT30 (preferred de 60 over the 55VT30) and any way hhgregg doesn't carry the VT models...

I still like the Samsung but three times *&&^%&* come on!
post #1139 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by iburdeinick View Post

GSD Trainer... Well guess what!? hhgregg delivered the new D8000 today and out of the box had already bubbles??? OH man! unbelievable jaja amazing... call back and I'm exchanging The Samsung for a Panasonic Viera TCP60GT30 (preferred de 60 over the 55VT30) and any way hhgregg doesn't carry the VT models...

I still like the Samsung but three times *&&^%&* come on!

Sorry to hear about that. A lot of wasted time and effort to buy a TV.
post #1140 of 1203
So I will be getting my second new panel at some point in the near future - this first replacement started peeling within a few weeks and I've watched it progressively get worse until I put in a service tag with Samsung on Sunday, got the call yesterday that Samsung authorized the panel replacement automatically and they're just waiting for the part.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Antiglare / Antireflective coating peeling on new Samsung plasma?