or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Antiglare / Antireflective coating peeling on new Samsung plasma?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Antiglare / Antireflective coating peeling on new Samsung plasma? - Page 33

post #961 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippelmc View Post

... any small thin *PLASTIC* washer that's the right size should work ...

So the fix involves a plastic washer, and not a rubber O-Ring?
post #962 of 1203
I'm wondering by putting on these washers would it work on a panel that has peeling on it already on the 2 top corners... Are the washers suppose to grasp the anti glare filter and compress it against the panel to keep it in place???
post #963 of 1203
My new panel arrived this morning and should be getting installed tomorrow. Apparently it was on back order from Samsung, so they must be shipping them out as fast as they can make them. Overall I'm not too annoyed, 2 weeks from first call to repair.
post #964 of 1203
I called samsung to submit a claim. I told the rep that there was a service bulletin out for this issue. My rep said she was aware of this issue and said i'll be contacted by the local service center. Less than an hour later I got a call from the local tech, who was also aware of this issue, and he asked me to email him a copy of my proof of purchase so that he could order a replacement panel. After I sent the proof of purchase the tech contacted me and let me know that he placed the order, but the panels are on backorder and that he would let me know as soon as the panel comes in. Hopefully these aren't on backorder for too long, but overall i'm very impressed with Samsungs customer service.
post #965 of 1203
^^ an hour later and everyone knew what you were talking about?

why am I dealing with the worst people. on my second service center now and they have never called me I do all the calling.
post #966 of 1203
Like I mentioned many post ago.. I hung up mid- sentence with the first lady I talked too... Quick call back and got a better rep.
post #967 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak193 View Post

I called samsung to submit a claim. I told the rep that there was a service bulletin out for this issue. My rep said she was aware of this issue and said i'll be contacted by the local service center. Less than an hour later I got a call from the local tech, who was also aware of this issue, and he asked me to email him a copy of my proof of purchase so that he could order a replacement panel. After I sent the proof of purchase the tech contacted me and let me know that he placed the order, but the panels are on backorder and that he would let me know as soon as the panel comes in. Hopefully these aren't on backorder for too long, but overall i'm very impressed with Samsungs customer service.

These panels are probably on back order either because Samsung is performing the O-ring fix on all of the in-stock or they have replaced so many panels that there is no more in stock. Either way I have a good feeling about the fix being applied.
post #968 of 1203
Techs just left my house, lucky for me the replacement panel had an inch wide line running through it when powered up. They tried changing over all the boards in the affected area, but it didn't help. Looks like I've got another ~2 week wait.
The tech said they have to replace the panels on all affected tvs. I read the service bulletin, 7 o-rings across the top of he bezel is the magical fix.
I'll post up some pics a bit later.

Great quality control here Samsung.
post #969 of 1203
I wouldn't hold your breath on the fix being permanent for at least 3 to 4 months as it is too soon to let off the fireworks. I remember everyone on the Sony KDS-RxxXBR1 site jumping in joy at first thinking the newly upgraded XBR2 fixed the green blob....6 months later, green blob on the XBR2!

I am buying a tv this week due to the specials going on and was wanting the PN59D7000, but I refuse taking a chance without adequate customer hours ran by customers on the proposed fix. If I already hadn't been through this process before with a XBR1, then XBR2, I might jump for the Samsung. However, in order for me to take advantage of the one week special of 4 years interest free and a price to match Amazon.com in a brick and morter locally owned store, I will be buying a Sony 55HX929 today. I will miss the extra 4 inches and about another $700 from my wallet. Damn, the Sammy is a hell of a tv for the money!
post #970 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl83 View Post

Techs just left my house, lucky for me the replacement panel had an inch wide line running through it when powered up. They tried changing over all the boards in the affected area, but it didn't help. Looks like I've got another ~2 week wait.
The tech said they have to replace the panels on all affected tvs. I read the service bulletin, 7 o-rings across the top of he bezel is the magical fix.
I'll post up some pics a bit later.

Great quality control here Samsung.

Thanks. I would love to see pics of the rings as I *might* just try and do it myself. I already did submit for a refund. I can get the TV for $1000 less now than when I bought it fresh on the market. So their mistake will save me money, reset my 30 day return widow and 1 yr 3 mo warranty, and get me more 3d glasses. Assuming the fix is in new models. I'm in no rush. I bet it takes weeks for them to just process the refund approval.
post #971 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl83 View Post

Techs just left my house, lucky for me the replacement panel had an inch wide line running through it when powered up. They tried changing over all the boards in the affected area, but it didn't help. Looks like I've got another ~2 week wait.
The tech said they have to replace the panels on all affected tvs. I read the service bulletin, 7 o-rings across the top of he bezel is the magical fix.
I'll post up some pics a bit later.

Great quality control here Samsung.

Was yours verticle or horizontal? i had an inch wide verticle white line on my replacement panel. Just curious.
post #972 of 1203
well my second service center is much better than the first even though they refuse to call me they do seem to update the samsug.com web site issue tracker thing. Current status is Open (Parts Back Ordered / Not Available) I can only assume the panel has been ordered. Going to call them tomorrow and see if they will refund, as in "not available".
post #973 of 1203
Well my service center just called and said they were told that the new panel has shipped and will be there within a couple weeks. Hopefully this one doesn't buzz as much as my current one :crossfingers:
post #974 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippelmc View Post
Was yours verticle or horizontal? i had an inch wide verticle white line on my replacement panel. Just curious.
Yeah vertical, just off centre to the left.

No pictures of the o-rings specifically, but I'd say they were plastic and not very thick. Anything that would hold the bezel out from the screen would do the job. After putting my old panel back in, it looks like the filter has fixed itself back to the screen, not sure if the techs put the o-rings in.

Actually thought I took more pics, but it seems there's not much worth posting. Anyway, here's the panel I'm currently watching scrubs on...
post #975 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl83 View Post
Yeah vertical, just off centre to the left.
That's funny - that was the exact same defect on my replacement panel, too.
post #976 of 1203
I'm so done with this TV and Samsung.
post #977 of 1203
Excutive customer relations. What a f'ing joke. What an awful company so glad this is the only samsung product in my house and it won't be for long.
post #978 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by depechemode76 View Post

I'm wondering by putting on these washers would it work on a panel that has peeling on it already on the 2 top corners... Are the washers suppose to grasp the anti glare filter and compress it against the panel to keep it in place???

I don't no much abu the o-ring. But my July build is difference form my may build. So far 100 hrs in no screen pealing. I took a close look at the side of the tv. Right next to the Side brezel. There is a dark line. About half a inch. Going down from top to bottom.that's is where my screen pealing start. It look like they used some kind of glue or whatever you wanna call it. And so far I think that is doing the job. Anyone with a pn64d8000 should Bo that when the tv is turn off. The screen is gray not black. So if you have a July build of any later build check if there is a darker tone of gray on the edge of the screen. Cause my may build didn't have it.
post #979 of 1203
Dang...64D7000 just delivered today from BB.

No peeling out of the box, but label on back of panel says April 2011 (ugh).

I was hoping to receive a later build month. I'm contemplating trying to install some washers/o-rings before I plug it in, but that's something I shouldn't have to do with a new display.

I'm thinking I'll run for 100 hours or so before I mount it, in case it has to go back to BB. I have Silver status, which gives me 45 days to return it.
post #980 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tolentino View Post

Dang...64D7000 just delivered today from BB.

No peeling out of the box, but label on back of panel says April 2011 (ugh).

I was hoping to receive a later build month. I'm contemplating trying to install some washers/o-rings before I plug it in, but that's something I shouldn't have to do with a new display.

I'm thinking I'll run for 100 hours or so before I mount it, in case it has to go back to BB. I have Silver status, which gives me 45 days to return it.

You have 30 days return policy, My best guest is put as much hrs as possible on your new sit, incase there a screen pealing. Don't install any o-ring or whatever it is, because paying for a tv this much shouldn't cost you extra money to fix it. I have a may build and start pealing into my 5 hrs of use. Return it and got s July build. So far so good. Good luck
post #981 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tolentino View Post

Dang...64D7000 just delivered today from BB.

No peeling out of the box, but label on back of panel says April 2011 (ugh).

I was hoping to receive a later build month. I'm contemplating trying to install some washers/o-rings before I plug it in, but that's something I shouldn't have to do with a new display.

I'm thinking I'll run for 100 hours or so before I mount it, in case it has to go back to BB. I have Silver status, which gives me 45 days to return it.

Putting in washers or 0-rings would be a nice way to void your warranty.

Keep in mind there are countless D7000/D8000 sets out there built before the mfg modification that have no peeling problem whatsoever. I have one of them and hopefully (likely?) you do, too.
post #982 of 1203
Very true. I guess I was getting too excited after reading another member's post about installing the o-rings/washers along with the 7 screws and thought it may prevent any potential peeling. It would have been unwise of me to even attempt it while my display is still within the return policy period.

I'll just observe it over the next few days and check for peeling. Hopefully, the odds will be in my favor and I won't have any problems. If not, I'll just call BB and take it from there.
post #983 of 1203
First of all, I posted pictures already.

I've also posted that I think it is a terrible idea to try to do the replacement yourself. (1) You void your warranty. You still have many months left on the 1 year warranty. (2) It only solves the problem if you don't have peeling. In other words, adding the washers wont replace your panel. (3) You don't know the dimensions of the O-Rings. I think they are rubber, but they could be plastic. This may be important. You don't know.

Just get it fixed correctly.
post #984 of 1203
Got my 64D7000 today from Amazon. I had ordered back on July 5th. July build, no peeling/buzing noted. Running Evangelo slides now.
post #985 of 1203
Hi I have had three replacement ps64d8000's due to peeling screens and my fourth tv is peeling now , I have been in touch with the store who have now said that the peeling is only a protection film used for transport and should be removed after delivery and samsung will be putting this on the forums, has anybody removed this.
post #986 of 1203
Does anyone know where I can get some written information that the peeling is a screen filter and not just a plastic coating for transportation which has to be removed as I think they're trying to pull a fast one
post #987 of 1203
Gee123,

I guess the only written proof that I have is the on-line confirmation from Samsung that they are going to replace my panel because of peeling. Samsung has already done this for a number of members here. Read the thread.

Larry
post #988 of 1203
Got about 20 hours on my 64D7000 since Saturday.

Peeling starting in upper left and right hand corners.

Looks like calling BB for an exchange is in my near future. I just hope I get a later build date.

I also wonder if I should just call Samsung and have a tech complete the repair vs not having to worry about the possibility of multiple exchanges.
post #989 of 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tolentino View Post

Got about 20 hours on my 64D7000 since Saturday.

Peeling starting in upper left and right hand corners.

Looks like calling BB for an exchange is in my near future. I just hope I get a later build date.

I also wonder if I should just call Samsung and have a tech complete the repair vs not having to worry about the possibility of multiple exchanges.

I would just have the tech do it personally.. sucks having to be home for the time window, but once started it should be done in 45min or less and you get a later date mfg panel..then what could be in TV on the shelf.
post #990 of 1203
panels are on back order with no ETA on when they will be shipping. I'm sure i've pissed enough people off at samsung to put my name last on this list but oh well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Antiglare / Antireflective coating peeling on new Samsung plasma?