or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › PC gaming to make a comeback?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC gaming to make a comeback? - Page 5

post #121 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post
To Anthony or any other PC guys out there. I'm planning on building my first a rig to be able to play Battlefield 3 as close to as max settings as possible in 3d. For a GPU I was looking at the GTX 580 or possibly the GTX 590 (if the wife don't kill me). Would I be able to still keep the other recommended PC components listed here or would I need to upgrade? Thanks.
Bigger power supply but everything else would be fine. If you plan on using a 590. Don't go with anything smaller than a quality 850 watt. 750 watt probably "would" work but IMO I'd grab a 1000 watt and then not need to buy another ps for many years no matter what card/cards I ran.
post #122 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post


Bigger power supply but everything else would be fine. If you plan on using a 590. Don't go with anything smaller than a quality 850 watt. 750 watt probably "would" work but IMO I'd grab a 1000 watt and then not need to buy another ps for many years no matter what card/cards I ran.

Thanks for the info N8Dogg.
post #123 of 130
If you go with a 580, even a good 750 will be fine. A 590 is a different story. IMO buy the biggest you can afford and you'll be set for whatever the graphics world throws your way!
post #124 of 130
Sorry guys another question here. For my gaming rig I found a good deal on an i5 2500k for $179 and if combined with motherboard I get $40 off motherboard. Which board would be the best to go with the best price? I want a motherboard that I can upgrade in the future with possible adding another GPU SLI. Here is list. Thanks for the advice. http://www.microcenter.com/specials/...e40_eNews.html

Edit. I'm looking at the Asus P8P67 mATX Pro R3 for $149, or P8P67 ATX Pro R3.1 for $189 (only difference I see is 3.1 has Bluetooth?) or the p8p67 Deluxe for $220
post #125 of 130
At this point I would recommend you getting a Z68 based motherboard- there really is no reason not to.
post #126 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

At this point I would recommend you getting a Z68 based motherboard- there really is no reason not to.

Any particular Z68 better for gaming and possible future upgrades?
post #127 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post

Any particular Z68 better for gaming and possible future upgrades?

If you wait a bit the 3rd gen Z68 boards are coming out and should have 16x16 PCI-E slots for pretty much the same price as the current boards do. Had I known the Z68 boards were coming out I probably would have waited.

That said, the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 is a pretty good deal for ~$150.
post #128 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

If you wait a bit the 3rd gen Z68 boards are coming out and should have 16x16 PCI-E slots for pretty much the same price as the current boards do. Had I known the Z68 boards were coming out I probably would have waited.

That said, the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 is a pretty good deal for ~$150.

I do plan on using SLI or CrossfireX sometime in the future. I guess I'll wait for the 3rd gens. Thanks for the help Dave.

Edit. Ok Don't know if I can wait, itchy trigger finger. Unfortunately the ASRock is not on their list to receive $40 off mobo. I'm eyeballing the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Z68 after discount will be $169. I'll sleep on it.
post #129 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post

I do plan on using SLI or CrossfireX sometime in the future. I guess I'll wait for the 3rd gens. Thanks for the help Dave.

Edit. Ok Don't know if I can wait, itchy trigger finger. Unfortunately the ASRock is not on their list to receive $40 off mobo. I'm eyeballing the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Z68 after discount will be $169. I'll sleep on it.

I wouldn't stress over it. Just get the cheapest board that meets your features requirement and does not have a large percentage of negative reviews on NewEgg and other sites. P67 is fine if you have no use for Intel's Quick Sync or SSD caching with Z68 (most gamers have no use for them).

PCI-Express 2.0 x8/x8 bandwidth for SLI and CrossFire is plenty fine with modern cards, and you'll likely move onto another board before an increase in bandwidth becomes highly desirable.
post #130 of 130
Thanks MSmith. That helps. I think I will go with the cheaper one and put the money saved towards the GPU.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC Gaming
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › PC gaming to make a comeback?