or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Sony Projector Motion Blur
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony Projector Motion Blur

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Looking for help...I purchased a Sony VPL-VW60. A selling point was its Motion Vector Noise Reduction. From day one, I was bothered by motion blur occurring on TV signals and DVD; it was actually much worse than the older and far less costly Sharp projector it replaced. The dealer now recommends I swap out to a JVC Dla-X7 DILA projector. Is there any way to reduce the motion blur visible during fast action (most sports) or camera pans (most movies) on the Sony projector through adjustments/recalibration? If so, how? Or do I need to replace a fairly new and barely used unit before my eyes cross.

Thanks in advance for any guidance...
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3d View Post

Looking for help...I purchased a Sony VPL-VW60. A selling point was its Motion Vector Noise Reduction. From day one, I was bothered by motion blur occurring on TV signals and DVD; it was actually much worse than the older and far less costly Sharp projector it replaced. The dealer now recommends I swap out to a JVC Dla-X7 DILA projector. Is there any way to reduce the motion blur visible during fast action (most sports) or camera pans (most movies) on the Sony projector through adjustments/recalibration? If so, how? Or do I need to replace a fairly new and barely used unit before my eyes cross.

Thanks in advance for any guidance...

Are you feeding the projector 24p? What blu-ray player are you using?

You might also want to post/check in the Sony VPL-VW60 Tweakers Thread

Also

JVC 2011 X3/X5/X7 RS40/50/60 Frame Interpolation still broken?

I remember reading there may be some bulb issues with the new JVC's also some that bought the X7 wished they would have gone with the X3.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thank you Amber Ale.
I may be over my technical head here, but the blur occurs regardless of source...24p, 30 or 60. The VW60 is up to 1080/60p capable and claims it supplies a direct connection to 24p material. How it offers those options or corrects for the source data, built in FI or whatever, is way beyond my technical expertise. Everything is connected via HDMI.

The DVCD player used is the "old" Sony SDP‐S350 Blu‐Ray Disc Player upgraded to the latest firmware. To me, the blur is most noticeable when watching DVD movies.

As to the tips on the JVC, thank you. They're not cheap and I'd be mighty unhappy if I paid to purchase and install a new one and found the situation unchanged. Any other thoughts regarding the best settings to reduce motion blur from the current Sony VPL-VW60 would also be appreciated. It really makes a DVD like The Hurt Locker painful for me to watch.

Again thanks,

Rob
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3d View Post
Thank you Amber Ale.
I may be over my technical head here, but the blur occurs regardless of source...24p, 30 or 60. The VW60 is up to 1080/60p capable and claims it supplies a direct connection to 24p material. How it offers those options or corrects for the source data, built in FI or whatever, is way beyond my technical expertise. Everything is connected via HDMI.

The DVCD player used is the "old" Sony SDP‐S350 Blu‐Ray Disc Player upgraded to the latest firmware. To me, the blur is most noticeable when watching DVD movies.

As to the tips on the JVC, thank you. They're not cheap and I'd be mighty unhappy if I paid to purchase and install a new one and found the situation unchanged. Any other thoughts regarding the best settings to reduce motion blur from the current Sony VPL-VW60 would also be appreciated. It really makes a DVD like The Hurt Locker painful for me to watch.

Again thanks,

Rob
Here is something for you to try, you said this was most apparent while watching DVD's, so I spent a lot of time playing and watching DVD on my HC4000 and found what worked the best for me in terms of the best picture possible. Your mileage may very but its worth a shot and post back and let me know if it made any difference. So I have 2 players on bluray and an old HDDVD player, so what I found that is since DVD's are 480P, having the player scale them up to 1080P was just not the cleanest, unless maybe you have an OPPO player which unfortunately I don't have, so tried lots of things and the one that made the biggest difference was settting my max output on the DVD player to 720P which is much less than the 1080P setting and once I did that the image for DVD's were good enough to watch, not as sharp as blu but really really good. Keep in mind I have my projector/receiver set to just pass through the signal so the projector doesn't scale the image either so I'm watching a 720P image on my screen. Only thing I can figure out is that it is easier to go from 480p to 720 then 480 to 1080p....at least worth a shot..Hope it helps and post back with your findings...
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thank you Bishopt. What you suggest makes sense except for the unfortunate fact that I/we and others all pay for equipment predicated on 1080p performance. But I understand why your suggestion might do the trick and will give it a try when the system is back up (currently reconstructing it after an internal flood). Thanks...

Rob
post #6 of 8
If you are sensitive to motion blur, a DLP is a better bet.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3d View Post
Thank you Bishopt. What you suggest makes sense except for the unfortunate fact that I/we and others all pay for equipment predicated on 1080p performance. But I understand why your suggestion might do the trick and will give it a try when the system is back up (currently reconstructing it after an internal flood). Thanks...

Rob
Yeah I hear you but the problem with scaling is that the information is not there, the real image is only a 480P image, so therefore to do it right you need really good scalars like the OPPO etc...I think you will find the 720P image is more than satisfying....the only hassle is to have to change the resolutions when watching dvd vs bluray, but since I have to players I just leave the hddvd player on 720p and my bluray player on 1080p...
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
If you are sensitive to motion blur, a DLP is a better bet.
+1 lol, I was thinking it but I didn't want to go down that path
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Sony Projector Motion Blur