Originally Posted by John_Galt
^Thanks, I just ran into that issue last night and was wondering the same thing.
I also had a couple other questions I was hoping I could get help with. I've been ripping my library to .iso files for the past two weeks and was wondering what the recommended method was for movies with forced subtitles. I really want to make sure I'm doing this correctly, because I don't have time to watch every movie as it is ripped, and would hate to leave out some vital information when I go to watch it months/years later. I looked in the thread here and it looks like the google spreadsheet has barely been updated recently.
Here's my current method; I've been using clown_bd to rip the movie only to an .iso file. For the basic settings, I have the "forced subtitles" box greyed in, which to my understanding, would automatically include forced subtitle tracks which are flagged that way. The problem would be the forced subtitle tracks which are not flagged. To try to find those, when prompted, I select to include all english subtitles, and after burning is complete, I go to the temp folder to look at the file size. The forced subtitle tracks are noticeably smaller, and I pull them up in subtitle editing software to verify they are forced subs which should have been included. After this, I reburn the .iso using clown_bd, but this time check the forced subtitles box instead of leaving it greyed in. I tested this with Ronin and it worked perfectly. Can anyone give some feedback on this method to make sure I'm not missing anything? Are there any titles in particular that I need to be aware of? I've read that Avatar and Star Wars seem to give a lot of problems, but I haven't tested either of these yet. Is there anything special with those?
Also, is clown_bd the best software for ripping the movie only to .iso, or is there something else I should look into? I noticed dvdfab and anydvd both have .iso options as well. Is any one better than the others?
Disney movies are notorious for having all kinds of playlists. With them, I find that the correct playlist is usually the even number like .800 or .500. Other movies can be harder to decipher. If there are time difference of even a second, I usually play the movie in TMT5 to see what the time is on that. Other times I run a search on AVS or slysoft to see if anyone else picked up the correct playlist. Lastly, I just rip a playlist until I find the right one. Another technique I use is to manually watch the different M2ts files where they differ from one another. Usually I can figure it out after a just a couple clips. For example, with Disney movies the audio will be in English but the text on screen will be in another language (like the movie title). Pretty easy to pick out most times.
There is no program I've found that can perfectly tell you which playlist to use. Damien recommended one, but I don't find it any better than the manual techniques. Most of the time, I just re-rip the movies since I tend to do them overnight anyways.SUBTITLES
The greyed out box for Subtitles in Clown_BD usually
produces the correct forced subs. I'd say, in my experience, 90% of the time. However, that still leaves 10% where you have incorrect or missing flags. The Incredibles (missing flag) and all of the Star Wars Movies come to mind (flags the commentary tracks as forced). In that case, I usually don't know until after I've ripped the movie the first time (or watch the movie and notice something is wrong). If you get BDSup2Sub you can open each subtitle that was muxed and read the first the subs. Then you know which subs you need (or don't want). You have to rerip the movie and manually force those specific subs. There is also a thread on AVS (I'm too lazy to look at my subscriptions right now---it's pretty late) that lists the sups for a lot of movies. The thread also lists proper subs.