or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 64

post #1891 of 5693
So what's next for the studios' efforts to bolster BluRay sales? If they can downgrade the DTS-HD soundtrack to AC3 for rentals, what is to prevent them from issuing BluRay "rental versions" that are not only downgraded AC3 audio but also downscaled video to 720p? It's still technically HD.
post #1892 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

The studios need to CLEARLY LABEL that the rental version is a DERIVATIVE WORK and is NOT the same as the version that you can purchase.
I put that ball in a different court. I think it is clearly the responsibility of the rental dealer to inform the consumer exactly what they are offering to rent. If you look at the rental specs. in Netflix, they clearly show which BD rentals lack HD audio and have only AC3 audio tracks.

It doesn't matter to me how many different versions the studio issues or what they print on the disk. I don't want to learn about it by reading the disk label. I want to know that information before I agree to the rental.
post #1893 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

How would you like to have people steal your work? That is what this whole issue is about. It is becoming easier to copy digital work, whether it be books, music, video, ... and the whole world is doing it. The whole media player world, with some exceptions, is based on it.
philip

I meant:rolleyes: for the BD movie that some one buys, and it is a single BD disk.
post #1894 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I meant:rolleyes: for the BD movie that some one buys, and it is a single BD disk.

I take no issue with your views. To me there were two different issues. The labelling issue, which is very important. If the product is different then it should be clearly labelled that way. Then there is the rental issue. I can see the studios not wanting to rent their products at the highest quality, but that is something that someone should know before renting. In addition we have the the usual elephant in the room.

I have always said that I hope there will be a place for serious videophiles who buy Blue-ray disks, or whatever is the highest quality, and want to back them at the highest level. Unfortunately that very tiny group, which is at the forefront of video, audio and technology, is being caught in a major battle between streaming convenience and cost and the dark side. There is a reason why anything that runs mkv, like ATV2 with XBMC, goes wild on the resale market. That market is largely meant for stealing probably at 90%. Everyone knows it and keeps blaming the studios when they try to protect themselves. Mind you, they may not be the most likeable bunch ( the studios) but they are the only game in town for a large part of the artistic community, a community which does not get a fair share of the wealth.

philip
post #1895 of 5693
I went to Blockbuster and read the back of Expandable 2 and it clearly states 5.1 Doubly Digital only no HD track.
post #1896 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I went to Blockbuster and read the back of Expandable 2 and it clearly states 5.1 Doubly Digital only no HD track.
Wow. Doubly Digital -- it may not be HD but it has got to be better than Singly Digital smile.gifsmile.gif
post #1897 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Wow. Doubly Digital -- it may not be HD but it has got to be better than Singly Digital smile.gifsmile.gif

Obviously the next step will be Xtreme Digital smile.gif
post #1898 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Wow. Doubly Digital -- it may not be HD but it has got to be better than Singly Digital smile.gifsmile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Obviously the next step will be Xtreme Digital smile.gif

Hey, I was typing from my phone biggrin.giftongue.gif
post #1899 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Hey, I was typing from my phone biggrin.giftongue.gif
I wonder if your phone was trying to help and auto-corrected dolby to doubly.
post #1900 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I wonder if your phone was trying to help and auto-corrected dolby to doubly.

I think it typed double, and I didn't notice and just replaced the "e" with a "y", but you get my point tongue.gif
post #1901 of 5693
Everyone knows the best mockumentaries, like SpinalTap, are always recorded in Doubly.
post #1902 of 5693
Hi, which external Bluray drive would you recommend today? -is this Asus okay, among the fastest readers? I just need the reader function, but as far as I know , it's not possible to buy just an external BD reader....?
Kindly
Jan
post #1903 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnernorth View Post

Hi, which external Bluray drive would you recommend today? -is this Asus okay, among the fastest readers? I just need the reader function, but as far as I know , it's not possible to buy just an external BD reader....?
Kindly
Jan

There are DVD burners that only read BD. I don't know much about "external" but I think they can all be used externally with a case and power supply.
post #1904 of 5693
Hi Pepar, still around? wink.gif thx for your reply, I didn't know and I'll do some "research" on this.
:
post #1905 of 5693
post #1906 of 5693
Morning, Thx Jeff, very kind of you:)
post #1907 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnernorth View Post

Morning, Thx Jeff, very kind of you:)

Just doing my part to help the world economy get moving again!
post #1908 of 5693
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

What shenanigans? Most people don't care, or can't tell the difference, about HD audio and in any case the studios have every right to protect their intellectual property. Quite a few players on the iPad have recently dropped support for playing back higher end audio. I assume that is because of licensing issues.
philip

Most people can't tell the difference and frankly, I'm not sure I can tell the difference. And it's not about their rights. I'm not talking about their rights. I believe it's duplicitous to have a BD version without HD audio. When you go to the store the expanded versions and extra footage is all advertised as extra. But Blu-ray advertises HD Audio as being part of a Blu-ray. At least you are left with that impression upon watching their commercials. Furthermore, there appears to be BDs you can buy where some versions have HD audio and another version of the same movie on BD does not. Only a close look at the back of the box will allow one to tell. Those of us watching this thread will be more careful to check the boxes but what about others who think they are getting the real deal only to find out they don't have what they thought they paid for? So the whole thing just smacks of deception by the studios and rubs me the wrong way. I know the world doesn't revolve around me so I'll leave it at that.



I can tell you for sure that it will not encourage me to buy more movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

I was referring to people who rip rental movies that don't have hd audio. They could download the HD audio track and remux to include it. For movies that I find I would watch again I buy personally so it's not an issue for me. Hollywood doesn't make that many movies worth owning that I can't spring for it.

I really wish we'd not sidetrack my thread with a discussion about people who steal movies. The studios removing HD audio will not stop piracy. Nothing they do ever does. It probably only serves to encourage it. But I don't want people to get the impression that anybody here encourages, supports, or otherwise thinks it is acceptable to rip movies from RedBox or Blockbuster. If somebody wants to own the movie they ought to buy it
post #1909 of 5693
Thread Starter 
Just rented Fire with Fire from RedBox. I checked the audio, DTS 5.1 and AC3.
post #1910 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

I really wish we'd not sidetrack my thread with a discussion about people who steal movies. The studios removing HD audio will not stop piracy. Nothing they do ever does. It probably only serves to encourage it. But I don't want people to get the impression that anybody here encourages, supports, or otherwise thinks it is acceptable to rip movies from RedBox or Blockbuster. If somebody wants to own the movie they ought to buy it

As far as I can tell it didn't sidetrack anything, there was no comments on it up until your own. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one who's thought of the same thing. I wasn't encouraging it, I was merely stating the obvious next step to circumvent the studios scheme. Nothing that's said in your thread will affect piracy whether it be encouraging or discouraging.
post #1911 of 5693
Chatter about ripping rentals = chatter about piracy. People that rip rentals should keep that information to themselves. Period.
post #1912 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Chatter about ripping rentals = chatter about piracy. People that rip rentals should keep that information to themselves. Period.

Where did I say I was ripping rentals? In fact I stated that I don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

I just rented Expendables 2 from RedBox and ran it through the eac3to portion of Clown_BD (steps 1&2) just to take a look at the information for the pertinent discussion in this thread. (I just happened to rent it to watch tonight...I didn't rent it specifically for this thread but when I saw the movie mentioned, I decided just to see if HD Audio was included.)
There are five playlists: 00118, 00005, 00026, 00684, and 00050. I ran each playlist through step 2 and none of them had HD Audio listed (only AC3 5.1). I didn't take it any further than step 2. I do plan on looking at what my receiver says while I'm playing the BD since I leave the audio decoding up to the receiver. Now I'm worried that I will convince myself that I can hear substandard audio...LOL.

So your telling me that what I said was somehow wrong but this is okay? rolleyes.gif
post #1913 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

Where did I say I was ripping rentals? In fact I stated that I don't.
So your telling me that what I said was somehow wrong but this is okay? rolleyes.gif

I made a statement without quoting anyone, so it was just a statement. Period.

I'll say it again: People ripping rentals should keep that to themselves ... and not post about it on a public forum thread.

Jeff
post #1914 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Chatter about ripping rentals = chatter about piracy. People that rip rentals should keep that information to themselves. Period.
Well I will disagree with that. Ripping rentals is not tantamount to pirating them. Up until early this year I did not own a BluRay player and had no intentions of ever buying one -- didn't see the need for one -- yet I purchased and rented BluRay disks. The only way for me to "play" the rentals was to rip them first. I am not the only one here who likewise didn't own a BluRay player, yet enjoyed playing BluRays -- I know that because of discussions in other threads.

I now have a BluRay player -- my wife bought me a Panasonic last Christmas so I could get one before they all came with Cinavia -- if it wasn't for Cinavia I still would never have bought a BluRay player. It is set up and I actually used it a couple times to play BluRays and thus prove to myself that I could not hear the difference between DTS and DTS-HD (btw, I can tell the difference between DTS and AC3). I haven't used it for over 6 months; I never bothered setting it up on my Harmony remote. I still play all my BluRays -- purchased and rental -- by ripping the main movie first and streaming to my WD Live players. I'm not a pirate, I just choose to view my rentals on my terms.

So please do not automatically equate people who rip rentals with pirates.
Edited by Kelson - 12/2/12 at 9:40pm
post #1915 of 5693
Whether you own them or rent them, you aren't supposed to rip them. smile.gif
post #1916 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Whether you own them or rent them, you aren't supposed to rip them. smile.gif

+1 smile.gif
post #1917 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Whether you own them or rent them, you aren't supposed to rip them. smile.gif

^ Exactly. Technically then in a public forum none of us should be discussing this regardless of how the source was acquired...
post #1918 of 5693
Let common sense prevail.
post #1919 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Well I will disagree with that. Ripping rentals is not tantamount to pirating them. Up until early this year I did not own a BluRay player and had no intentions of ever buying one -- didn't see the need for one -- yet I purchased and rented BluRay disks. The only way for me to "play" the rentals was to rip them first. I am not the only one here who likewise didn't own a BluRay player, yet enjoyed playing BluRays -- I know that because of discussions in other threads.
I now have a BluRay player -- my wife bought me a Panasonic last Christmas so I could get one before they all came with Cinavia -- if it wasn't for Cinavia I still would never have bought a BluRay player. It is set up and I actually used it a couple times to play BluRays and thus prove to myself that I could not hear the difference between DTS and DTS-HD (btw, I can tell the difference between DTS and AC3). I haven't used it for over 6 months; I never bothered setting it up on my Harmony remote. I still play all my BluRays -- purchased and rental -- by ripping the main movie first and streaming to my WD Live players. I'm not a pirate, I just choose to view my rentals on my terms.
So please do not automatically equate people who rip rentals with pirates.

If you check the terms and conditions under which movies are rented you will find that ripping them is not permitted, ergo intellectual property rights were violated. That is also referred to as "piracy." You may not like that, but it is a fact. Beyond that, all I said was that people doing it shouldn't post about it on a public forum.
post #1920 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Whether you own them or rent them, you aren't supposed to rip them. smile.gif

I'm on the other side for this one. You are allowed to make a backup copy of movies you own - I do. It is the TECHNOLOGY that enables ripping that is breaking the law and why the handful of companies that provide those tools are all well outside the reach of US law.

Jeff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home