or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 66

post #1951 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post

I only use Pot
smile.gif
post #1952 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

you can plug and play a 3TB MyBooklive for $150 or less (on sale), it's very hard to make the switch. The MyBookLives are so small you can put them anywhere you have a network jack. Very convenient. Basically, I find I like them so much I've shamefully put off investing in a better solution.
exactly how I feel. The MyBookLive concept works beautifully. My current MyBookLive unit's seem to operate solid. Definitely efficient network drive space considering their cost.

At first, I had issues with a few unit's, had to return/exhange them for new one's (which I did'nt mind). However I was ticked-off because I had all my PC (personal) data on them which I could'nt remove (I did'nt like the fact that they kept my dysfunctional unit's, not knowing where these disc drives could be sitting?).

I guess at some point I'll just have to purchase three or four new MyBookLive unit's to back-up my current unit's:)
post #1953 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

smile.gif

The upconversion is superb!
post #1954 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Whether you own them or rent them, you aren't supposed to rip them. smile.gif

OK ... I'm a big believer in intellectual property being PROPERTY and belonging to the owner. BUT ... when I buy a DVD or BluRay, do I not have the right to view it on equipment that doesn't have a drive? My _PERSONAL_ situation is a Google Nexus 7. If I _OWN_ a DVD or BluRay disc, is it wrong or illegal to rip it to the device's flash so I can watch it on an airline flight? If so, I'm a bad boy.

A rental ... I'm not sure that if I only watch it 1 time, that should be a no-rip situation either ...

I'd love to read more on what is legal vs not ... and what is right vs not. And where my situation ethics come into play

George
post #1955 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post

OK ... I'm a big believer in intellectual property being PROPERTY and belonging to the owner. BUT ... when I buy a DVD or BluRay, do I not have the right to view it on equipment that doesn't have a drive? My _PERSONAL_ situation is a Google Nexus 7. If I _OWN_ a DVD or BluRay disc, is it wrong or illegal to rip it to the device's flash so I can watch it on an airline flight? If so, I'm a bad boy.
A rental ... I'm not sure that if I only watch it 1 time, that should be a no-rip situation either ...
I'd love to read more on what is legal vs not ... and what is right vs not. And where my situation ethics come into play
George

Based on the laws in the US, it is illegal to break /circumvent copy right protection, even if it is for a disc you legally purchased and plan on only using for your own personal use.
post #1956 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Based on the laws in the US, it is illegal to break /circumvent copy right protection, even if it is for a disc you legally purchased and plan on only using for your own personal use.
OK, I understand that. I "assumed" that the programs that convert the disc to mp4 did that without breaking / circumventing some protection scheme, but research shows my assumption is wrong.

OK ... so it would be technically legal to have 1000 drives attached, or a disc changer or whatever ... and MAYBE to backup without breaking / circumventing some protection scheme if such is possible.

It is my understanding that I may legally rip music from a commercially produced for which I do not have copyright CD I own to play it on a portable device ... is that a misunderstanding? Where is the line between audio and video?

(I'm not trying to be "holier than thou" here, just want to not be illegal on a business device. I drive over the speed limit sometimes, too.)
post #1957 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post

OK, I understand that. I "assumed" that the programs that convert the disc to mp4 did that without breaking / circumventing some protection scheme, but research shows my assumption is wrong.
OK ... so it would be technically legal to have 1000 drives attached, or a disc changer or whatever ... and MAYBE to backup without breaking / circumventing some protection scheme if such is possible.
It is my understanding that I may legally rip music from a commercially produced for which I do not have copyright CD I own to play it on a portable device ... is that a misunderstanding? Where is the line between audio and video?
(I'm not trying to be "holier than thou" here, just want to not be illegal on a business device. I drive over the speed limit sometimes, too.)

Well, any sort of ripping of a movie/tv show discs is illegal (regardless if you own the disc, have the disc attached to a carousel, etc...). Kaleidescape is the only company in the states to get away with this, but are constantly in court with threats they will be shut down

As far as music, it is legal to rip as long as it is for your own personal use (and you own the disc)
post #1958 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post

OK, I understand that. I "assumed" that the programs that convert the disc to mp4 did that without breaking / circumventing some protection scheme, but research shows my assumption is wrong.
OK ... so it would be technically legal to have 1000 drives attached, or a disc changer or whatever ... and MAYBE to backup without breaking / circumventing some protection scheme if such is possible.
It is my understanding that I may legally rip music from a commercially produced for which I do not have copyright CD I own to play it on a portable device ... is that a misunderstanding? Where is the line between audio and video?
(I'm not trying to be "holier than thou" here, just want to not be illegal on a business device. I drive over the speed limit sometimes, too.)

You can load the Blu-rays into a carousel changer and legally watch them. smile.gif

Anything more than that and you are at risk. I am at risk as well when I set my cruise control to five MPH over the limit, however I will cruise through a speed trap with no worries. At ten MPH over, I am more alert.

I rip my Blu-rays, SACD and DVD-A to my server. I talk about that in public forums. Consider that my 5 MPH cruising through speed traps .... and extend the analogy accordingly. wink.gif

Jeff
Edited by pepar - 12/9/12 at 11:11am
post #1959 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post

I have a problem and I hope you guys can help me. This thread is about ripping the bd movies but what I want is to play my blu-ray's m2ts files directly from the disc. My problem is that the playback is very jittery, I do use anydvd for protection removal but even if I rip the m2ts file to my HDD, the playback is still jittery. Now!! if I convert the m2ts file to mkv by using makemkv(no encoding) utility, I get flawless playback which I don't understand why. I don't want to rip my blu-rays because it consumes too much of my HDD space. All I want is to be able to flawlessly play m2ts files directly from blu-ray. I also don't want to use those dedicated software blu-ray players either, I only use Daum Pot player for all of my playback needs. thanks

Here you go. Hope this fixes your problem.
http://www.jacoblog.net/2011/12/14/use-dxva-potplayer-to-play-hd-videos/
post #1960 of 5693
What software program will allow me to take a .MKV file rip of a Blu-Ray Disc and shrink and burn it to a STANDARD DVD+/-R DL that will play on a standard DVD Player with CHAPTERS?

Thanks in advance!
post #1961 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post

What software program will allow me to take a .MKV file rip of a Blu-Ray Disc and shrink and burn it to a STANDARD DVD+/-R DL that will play on a standard DVD Player with CHAPTERS?

Thanks in advance!

DVD player, not Blu-ray player?

Very few (any?) DVD players support hidef video in an MKV container.

You mean convert the Blu-ray to standard definition resolution? Don't do that, just get a DVD version.

-Bill
post #1962 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

DVD player, not Blu-ray player?
Very few (any?) DVD players support hidef video in an MKV container.
You mean convert the Blu-ray to standard definition resolution? Don't do that, just get a DVD version.
-Bill

I mean convert/burn a .MKV file to chaptered Standard DVD.
post #1963 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

DVD player, not Blu-ray player?
Very few (any?) DVD players support hidef video in an MKV container.
You mean convert the Blu-ray to standard definition resolution? Don't do that, just get a DVD version.
-Bill

I mean convert/burn a .MKV file to chaptered Standard DVD.

DVDFab has a DVD Video authoring module. Check that it will take MKV input but I believe it will.

-Bill
post #1964 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

DVDFab has a DVD Video authoring module. Check that it will take MKV input but I believe it will.
-Bill

I think this ^

I forget how I did it (I think I had used this software):
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/
post #1965 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post

What software program will allow me to take a .MKV file rip of a Blu-Ray Disc and shrink and burn it to a STANDARD DVD+/-R DL that will play on a standard DVD Player with CHAPTERS?
Thanks in advance!
That will be a mess if you have subtitles.
post #1966 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

DVDFab has a DVD Video authoring module. Check that it will take MKV input but I believe it will.
-Bill

DVDFab does work, but, I cannot figure how to add Chapters to it's output as it makes a perfect DVD with (1) one long Chapter for the whole movie.

I need 12 or so chapters.
post #1967 of 5693
Googling "dvd chapter editor" suggests several utilities, but I have not done it myself to an existing DVD structure.

Bit off-topic here.

-Bill
post #1968 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I think this ^
I forget how I did it (I think I had used this software):
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

I'll try convert_x_to_dvd.

Thanks!
post #1969 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post

What software program will allow me to take a .MKV file rip of a Blu-Ray Disc and shrink and burn it to a STANDARD DVD+/-R DL that will play on a standard DVD Player with CHAPTERS?
Thanks in advance!

Better to rip from disc straight to whatever format you need in the end.

 

I think the only intermediate format worth using is an un-encrypted complete folder (all files on BluRay) or an ISO of the whole Blu-Ray.

post #1970 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Better to rip from disc straight to whatever format you need in the end.

I think the only intermediate format worth using is an un-encrypted complete folder (all files on BluRay) or an ISO of the whole Blu-Ray.

Good point,but the .MKV of the movie only is a much smaller file size compared to an .ISO file rip of the entire Blu-Ray.
post #1971 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Better to rip from disc straight to whatever format you need in the end.

I think the only intermediate format worth using is an un-encrypted complete folder (all files on BluRay) or an ISO of the whole Blu-Ray.

Good point,but the .MKV of the movie only is a much smaller file size compared to an .ISO file rip of the entire Blu-Ray.

I use ISO just for safety of having a digital archive. If anything happens to the MKV I can re-do without having to dig up the disc and start from scratch.... but my HDD is begging for mercy lol.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
post #1972 of 5693
Originally Posted by dbone1026

I think this ^
I forget how I did it (I think I had used this software):
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/


Convert_X_to_DVD works!

I was able to take both an .MKV file as well as a .ISO of two Blu-Rays and it allowed me to shrink and burn them to a STANDARD DVD+/-R DL that play on a standard DVD Player with CHAPTERS?

Thanks dbone1026 !
post #1973 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

Here you go. Hope this fixes your problem.
http://www.jacoblog.net/2011/12/14/use-dxva-potplayer-to-play-hd-videos/


thanks for the link but unfortunately that site only explains how to watch hd video content by using hardware acceleration which I already know, is the m2ts files that I have a problem with.

thanks anyway!
post #1974 of 5693
I'll start of by saying that I'm sure this question has been answered many times over, but I'll be honest and say there is no way I'm going to be able to read 66 pages of posts. So I apologize in advance.

Would anyone be able to recommend the easiest and cheapest way to rip a bluray and lose as little video quality as possible and retain all of the audio?

Currently I'm using Make MKV to rip the disc and then using handbrake to convert to mp4. This leaves me with a small file that looks good enough and is easily read by my PS3. However, I'm not sure that it is keeping the best possible audio. In the near future I'll be building a HTPC and moving away from the PS3.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
post #1975 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by fido2 View Post

I'll start of by saying that I'm sure this question has been answered many times over, but I'll be honest and say there is no way I'm going to be able to read 66 pages of posts. So I apologize in advance.
Would anyone be able to recommend the easiest and cheapest way to rip a bluray and lose as little video quality as possible and retain all of the audio?
Currently I'm using Make MKV to rip the disc and then using handbrake to convert to mp4. This leaves me with a small file that looks good enough and is easily read by my PS3. However, I'm not sure that it is keeping the best possible audio. In the near future I'll be building a HTPC and moving away from the PS3.
If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
Thanks!

If you go to the Handbrake audio settings, you can add whatever sound track you want. I stopped, and actually deleted all my 300 M4V's that I had encoded with Handbrake. I used to stream them to my PS3 and XBOX, but since I started using a Dune D1 and PCH-A210, I re-ripped my whole library to BD Folder structure, a few BD ISO, all my DVD's movies are MKV, and TV Shows are DVD ISO's.

I use AnyDVD HD for encryption removal, and to make my ISO's if need it.
I use MakeMKV for DVD movies.
I use ClownBD for folder structure BD Movies.
post #1976 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

If you go to the Handbrake audio settings, you can add whatever sound track you want. I stopped, and actually deleted all my 300 M4V's that I had encoded with Handbrake. I used to stream them to my PS3 and XBOX, but since I started using a Dune D1 and PCH-A210, I re-ripped my whole library to BD Folder structure, a few BD ISO, all my DVD's movies are MKV, and TV Shows are DVD ISO's.
I use AnyDVD HD for encryption removal, and to make my ISO's if need it.
I use MakeMKV for DVD movies.
I use ClownBD for folder structure BD Movies.

Thanks for the reply.

Now if I use AnyDVD HD, that will give me an ISO correct? If so, is there any way to get around having to mount each ISO (HTPC) before watching the movie?
post #1977 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by fido2 View Post

Thanks for the reply.
Now if I use AnyDVD HD, that will give me an ISO correct? If so, is there any way to get around having to mount each ISO (HTPC) before watching the movie?

I've never used an HTPC so I don't know.
post #1978 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by fido2 View Post

Thanks for the reply.
Now if I use AnyDVD HD, that will give me an ISO correct? If so, is there any way to get around having to mount each ISO (HTPC) before watching the movie?

You can set it up so when you play an ISO your HTPC auto mounts it.

However, if you want to avoid having to mount, just rip to folder structure instead of ISO (this is what I do). You can do this with AnyDVD if you want a full disc rip or use CLown_BD if you only want the main movie
post #1979 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by fido2 View Post

I'll start of by saying that I'm sure this question has been answered many times over, but I'll be honest and say there is no way I'm going to be able to read 66 pages of posts. So I apologize in advance.
Would anyone be able to recommend the easiest and cheapest way to rip a bluray and lose as little video quality as possible and retain all of the audio?
Currently I'm using Make MKV to rip the disc and then using handbrake to convert to mp4. This leaves me with a small file that looks good enough and is easily read by my PS3. However, I'm not sure that it is keeping the best possible audio. In the near future I'll be building a HTPC and moving away from the PS3.
If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
Thanks!

I apologize to you in advance ...

Did you look even at the first post? If you had, you would have gotten the information you seek, or at least how/where to find it. Standard forum procedure and etiquette asks that you always look at the first pages of a thread as many times the first post contains an un-to-date roadmap to the rest of thread.

People not exercising even the most basic protocols and just jumping in and asking their question is how threads grow to this length and make it *nearly* unsearchable.

Jeff
post #1980 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I apologize to you in advance ...
Did you look even at the first post? If you had, you would have gotten the information you seek, or at least how/where to find it. Standard forum procedure and etiquette asks that you always look at the first pages of a thread as many times the first post contains an un-to-date roadmap to the rest of thread.
People not exercising even the most basic protocols and just jumping in and asking their question is how threads grow to this length and make it *nearly* unsearchable.
Jeff

Yes, I did read the first page several times. But it does not in any way shape or form refer to file types (what they mean) and audio formats. I am aware of the programs that are available, but am looking for specific information with regards to audio tracks. As stated, I hve used make mkv and handbrake, but was unable to find any audio options.

I appreciate your post and the attempt to limit unnecessary posts, but after reading a few pages, I was still left with some questions.

Thank you to dbone, I will look into ripping to folder structure. If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to PM me.
Edited by fido2 - 12/14/12 at 3:17pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home