or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 98

post #2911 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Not even close to a record. I have 147+TB and I know of several people on here that are far higher than me.

I think anyone with that amount of storage has to be high.

Jeff

I'm pretty sure I've already mentioned that I use the storage for more than just movies.
post #2912 of 5693
...
Edited by PobjoySpecial - 5/16/13 at 2:42pm
post #2913 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

People do things for three different reasons:

1) Pragmatism
2) Enjoyment
3) Compulsion

Someone is "high" (irrational) when a reason on the list supersedes any of those above it. Someone is also irrational if they try to justify one reason with another.

The unfortunate reality is that people are irrational beings, but that doesn't make irrational actions acceptable. IMO...
What else necessitates hundreds of terabytes of personal storage?

Holy cr@p!!!! My "digital hoarding" falls in all three of those reasons. I am so screwed!
post #2914 of 5693
...
Edited by PobjoySpecial - 5/16/13 at 2:42pm
post #2915 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

On the other hand, if you enjoy collecting primarily because you enjoy the process... all the more power to you!

It's just my opinion that conceding to irrational behavior isn't healthy.

The former exactly describes my motivation.

The latter reminds me of the saying "Only a crazy person says that they are not insane." Yes, that's a paradox.
post #2916 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

So if someone has a collection of several thousand comic books, or baseball cards, or 25+ cars, or beanie babies, then they are high?

Of course! But that's not a bad thing. smile.gif

Jeff
post #2917 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Not even close to a record. I have 147+TB and I know of several people on here that are far higher than me.
I stand corrected. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Humans are gatherers and each of us has at least one thing they hoard. I just happen to be a "digital hoarder" as some have labeled it.
Would it be fair to say you are equally a collector of hard disk drives?
Quote:
I have a problem. I know it, I accept it.
Problem? or just intense hobby.

See this post
post #2918 of 5693
...
Edited by PobjoySpecial - 5/16/13 at 2:41pm
post #2919 of 5693
^^ It gets pretty cold in the winter here in the mountains of Virginia. I think I need to build out my media server! tongue.gif
post #2920 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

People do things for three different reasons:

1) Pragmatism
2) Enjoyment
3) Compulsion

Someone is "high" (irrational) when a reason on the list supersedes any of those above it.
So . . . doing something that may not be pragmatic but is very enjoyable is irrational?
That could describe just about all my AV related purchases -- enjoyable but hardly pragmatic.
post #2921 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I stand corrected. smile.gif
Would it be fair to say you are equally a collector of hard disk drives?
Problem? or just intense hobby.

See this post

I like that term...Intense hobby.

I don't think I collect hard drives. That would be like me saying I collect boxes since I put my comic books in them.
post #2922 of 5693
...
Edited by PobjoySpecial - 5/16/13 at 2:41pm
post #2923 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

Then why did you say:
If you enjoy collecting primarily because you enjoy the process and it doesn't interfere with the practical aspects of your life (paying bills, saving for retirement, interpersonal relationships), then you don't have a problem. Good for you.
I would phrase it: "Only a crazy person thinks it's okay to be crazy."

A morbidly obese person eating boxes of Twinkies because they're depressed about their physical situation isn't healthy behavior. A morbidly obese person that makes a genuine effort to eat healthy and exercise to move away from their depressed condition is exhibiting healthy behavior. A fat person happy with their physical condition eating boxes of Twinkies because they genuinely love junk food also exhibits healthy behavior (well, maybe not physically... but philosophically)

I suppose we may have different philosophies on life and that's fine.

I guess my "problem" is in the eye of the beholder. I have a modest home with a very modest mortgage. I drive a 15-year-old car that is paid off and runs fine, and I take only a small vacation every year. I can easily afford a much bigger home, and new car every couple of years, and could easily travel the world if I wanted to. But my enjoyment comes from sitting down in the afternoon and weekends and watching movies. The hoarding satisfies that enjoyment. I am sure people would think I have a problem since I rather live a simple life and watch movies rather than buying all those other things.

I can tell you from personal experience that a crazy person would never ever admit that they are crazy, let alone say its OK to be crazy.
post #2924 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

That's just a guess on my part how well BD re-encodes will scale. I don't know of anyone that has played back a BD re-encoded file on a 4K TV nor do I know anyone that owns one. I've only had a chance to play with a couple of them and while the 4K demos look amazing the current BD content in my opinion looks significantly better on 1080p native resolution displays. Even the guy running the The Hobbit as a demo wasn't that impressed. He claimed BD would start shipping with 4K / 1080p dual disc packs like they do currently with 1080p and DVD by Q3 of this year. That's entirely possible but I haven't heard such a claim anywhere else.

At any rate... for me personally I probably won't get a 4K TV for ~5 years but it is going to mean a complete change for the home streaming crowd.


That gentleman is blowing hot air up people's skirts. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has not even met to discuss setting a standard for 4K BD nor do they have set a hard date for said meeting. It will certainly not be ready by the third quarter of this year. Even if a standard is agreed upon there is no guarantee we will see 4K BDs if 4K TVs do poorly in the marketplace. See link for BDA info.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11016
Edited by jhck66 - 5/14/13 at 4:13pm
post #2925 of 5693
...
Edited by PobjoySpecial - 5/16/13 at 2:44pm
post #2926 of 5693
What happened in this thread, it has turn philosophical confused.gif

post #2927 of 5693
It occurs to me that the debate about compression has thus been more a philosophical rather than scientific in nature. Perception being what it is wouldn't it be better to judge for ourselves the merits of the arguments if we could see the files ourselves. The arguments being that the "parameters" for the re-compression is somewhat special. Would the two proponents be willing to temporary up load these rather small files so members can make an A-B comparison? All statements and arguments must yield to some form of scrutiny.
post #2928 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

What happened in this thread, it has turn philosophical confused.gif


Hey, You beat me to it.
post #2929 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

What happened in this thread, it has turn philosophical confused.gif


Ripping is some real deep stuff....
post #2930 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhck66 View Post

That gentleman is blowing hot air up people's skirts. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has not even met to discuss setting a standard for 4K BD nor do they have set a hard date for said meeting. It will cetrtainly not be ready by the third quarter of this year. Even if a standard is agreed upon there is no guarantee we will see 4K BDs if 4K TVs do poorly in the marketplace. See link for BDA info.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11016

Well to be fair, if the BDA made an official statement that they will be deciding on it then that would imply they've met about and have been discussing it. A Q3 product is very very unlikely but possible. BD itself was rushed and half baked so who's to say 4K BD won't be the same. Luckily they are able to update the format over time.
post #2931 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhck66 View Post

It occurs to me that the debate about compression has thus been more a philosophical rather than scientific in nature. Perception being what it is wouldn't it be better to judge for ourselves the merits of the arguments if we could see the files ourselves. The arguments being that the "parameters" for the re-compression is somewhat special. Would the two proponents be willing to temporary up load these rather small files so members can make an A-B comparison? All statements and arguments must yield to some form of scrutiny.

Uploading the file would be against forum rules as well as against the law. Hence the base parameters for encoding to get you started.
post #2932 of 5693
...
Edited by PobjoySpecial - 5/16/13 at 2:44pm
post #2933 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

People do things for three different reasons:

1) Pragmatism
2) Enjoyment
3) Compulsion

Someone is "high" (irrational) when a reason on the list supersedes any of those above it.
So . . . doing something that may not be pragmatic but is very enjoyable is irrational?
That could describe just about all my AV related purchases -- enjoyable but hardly pragmatic.

I'd have to agree with you there lol
post #2934 of 5693
When I´m ripping BDs containing PCM sound tracks with Clown_BD two identical files are demuxed, one with .WAV extension and the other with .W64 extension. Do I need both or just one of them and if the latter, which one should I remux with mkvMerge?

Ole
post #2935 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

Then why did you say:
If you enjoy collecting primarily because you enjoy the process and it doesn't interfere with the practical aspects of your life (paying bills, saving for retirement, interpersonal relationships), then you don't have a problem. Good for you.
I would phrase it: "Only a crazy person thinks it's okay to be crazy."

A morbidly obese person eating boxes of Twinkies because they're depressed about their physical situation isn't healthy behavior. A morbidly obese person that makes a genuine effort to eat healthy and exercise to move away from their depressed condition is exhibiting healthy behavior. A fat person happy with their physical condition eating boxes of Twinkies because they genuinely love junk food also exhibits healthy behavior (well, maybe not physically... but philosophically)

I suppose we may have different philosophies on life and that's fine.

I guess my "problem" is in the eye of the beholder. I have a modest home with a very modest mortgage. I drive a 15-year-old car that is paid off and runs fine, and I take only a small vacation every year. I can easily afford a much bigger home, and new car every couple of years, and could easily travel the world if I wanted to. But my enjoyment comes from sitting down in the afternoon and weekends and watching movies. The hoarding satisfies that enjoyment. I am sure people would think I have a problem since I rather live a simple life and watch movies rather than buying all those other things.

I can tell you from personal experience that a crazy person would never ever admit that they are crazy, let alone say its OK to be crazy.

Huh, we have almost the same view smile.gif my car is a bit newer but it is paid off, I purchased a smaller home cause upkeep on a bigger home isn't worth it, I don't take big vacations so I can take a 1 day vacation every week so I only have to work 4 days instead of 5.

Just like you I too could afford much more but I'd rather just do the things that are important to myself.
post #2936 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by owtuv View Post

When I´m ripping BDs containing PCM sound tracks with Clown_BD two identical files are demuxed, one with .WAV extension and the other with .W64 extension. Do I need both or just one of them and if the latter, which one should I remux with mkvMerge?

Ole

I've never used clown but if it is like other demuxers then you should only need one assuming you aren't trying to mux multiple tracks.
post #2937 of 5693
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Yes, it is perception based on a whole host of situational factors. So I have no problem accepting their word that they have found a set of parameters that produce a highly re-compressed file that they perceive to be visually identical to the original BluRay.

They need to accept that there are a whole lot of people who do perceive a difference and that they are in the minority. This thread sits in a forum about streaming media and media streamers. People in other threads discuss the video quality of the HD offerings from the streaming services like Netflix or Amazon -- who use similar brutal compression to make their offerings stream-able. I have not found many who feel their HD content looks as good as an original BluRay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhck66 View Post

It occurs to me that the debate about compression has thus been more a philosophical rather than scientific in nature. Perception being what it is wouldn't it be better to judge for ourselves the merits of the arguments if we could see the files ourselves. The arguments being that the "parameters" for the re-compression is somewhat special. Would the two proponents be willing to temporary up load these rather small files so members can make an A-B comparison? All statements and arguments must yield to some form of scrutiny.


This is exactly my problem. So far we have the following:

wmcclain's settings. Did he keep the HD audio? I think not.

itznb's settings. I'm not sure if he is using Handbrake.

I will try wmcclain's settings. It will take me a while because I have to run the compression, then watch the movie in its original and compressed formats.
Edited by agogley - 5/14/13 at 2:34pm
post #2938 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

My problem is that I've yet to see said set of parameters posted here. Somebody post their handbrake settings and we'll take a test drive.

HandBrake has presets that encapsulate many of the settings. The values are shown in the docs. You can override individual settings as needed.

For Blu-ray I use the basic:
Quote:
HandBrakeCLI -i "dvdfab/MainMovie/sometitle" -o sometitle.mkv --preset="Normal" -a 1

This is the default "q=20" and it converts the first audio track to AAC.

For DVD:
Quote:
HandBrakeCLI -i "sometitle.iso" -o "sometitle.mkv" --preset="High Profile" -q 18 -a 1 -E copy:ac3 -t 4 -s 1

High Profile includes deinterlacing work that DVD requires. q=18 is a higher quality setting. The example works on title 4, copies the first audio track as is, and passes through subtitle #1 (which can be VOBSUB or Closed Caption).

-Bill
post #2939 of 5693
More on HandBrake:

You can select individual chapters or ranges of same. For testing, a single chapter would speed things up.

I'd start with the 4 combinations of q=18 and 20, High and Normal profiles. See what you think, tweak if still interested.

The lower the q, the higher quality, longer encoding, and larger files.

-Bill
post #2940 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

I will try wmcclain's settings. It will take me a while because I have to run the compression, then watch the movie in its original and compressed formats.

As I said at the outset, the compression ratio varies widely. I've seen "nothing" and 10x.

-Bill
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home