or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 120

post #3571 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Where?

In its status window, as you showed for Hunger Games. This only applies to titles with ScreenPass obfuscation. Other movies may have multiple playlists but they're for legitimate reasons, such as theatrical vs director's cut, expanded behind-the-scenes things during the movie, etc. In that case it's up to you, as AnyDVD HD couldn't know which one you want to rip.
post #3572 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

As already mentioned it only lists the playlist when it needs to. When playlist obfuscation is used for example. In the case of Snow White disc obfuscation is not used and should be pretty easy to pick out the correct playlist with any application.

I haven't used BD Rebuilder in a while so they may have updated it but it was never able to picked the correct playlist for me.

In the case of Snow White/Huntsman, which has the Theatrical and Extended versions, BDRB offers the Theatrical as the main movie. Correct, of course, and maybe what the ripper is looking for. But then maybe not. I always rip the extended/director's/yaddayadda.



The back of the case lists the two version runtimes ... 2:08 and 2:12. So it is obvious that "801" at 2:07:15 is the Theatrical while "800" at 2:11:34 is the Extended.

So, BDRB is just another tool that requires some human judgment to use it correctly.

Jeff
post #3573 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

DVDFab has a free trial. You should at least look at it. It has always found the correct playlist for me.

-Bill
Agreed. This issue came up some pages back and I mentioned DVD Fab there. DVD Fab has a Pathplayer module that reads the menu structure and selects the proper playlist for the main title depending on your preference for language. I've seen many movies which were authored as seamless branching with 15-20 segments and then containing a bunch of playlists that were all identical in run time and chapter number, etc. and only differed in the order of the segments -- only one playlist would have them in the right order. DVD Fab has always gotten it right.

Many Disney or animated films are authored as seamless branching and have multiple playlists for different languages. Often there will be a piece of text in the film (like a wanted poster) and the language of that text will differ for the different playlists. Since I have English specified as my default language, DVD Fab has always picked the proper playlist for those titles as well.
post #3574 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Agreed. This issue came up some pages back and I mentioned DVD Fab there. DVD Fab has a Pathplayer module that reads the menu structure and selects the proper playlist for the main title depending on your preference for language. I've seen many movies which were authored as seamless branching with 15-20 segments and then containing a bunch of playlists that were all identical in run time and chapter number, etc. and only differed in the order of the segments -- only one playlist would have them in the right order. DVD Fab has always gotten it right.

Many Disney or animated films are authored as seamless branching and have multiple playlists for different languages. Often there will be a piece of text in the film (like a wanted poster) and the language of that text will differ for the different playlists. Since I have English specified as my default language, DVD Fab has always picked the proper playlist for those titles as well.

Is there any guarantee that this software will always work? It seems like a steep price when they are competing against free.
post #3575 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweisen View Post

Is there any guarantee that this software will always work? It seems like a steep price when they are competing against free.

Guarantee? Like what? No one knows the future. They've been in business for a while and the product is actively developed.

-Bill
post #3576 of 5693
I think that members here have, for one reason or another, taken one of two paths, i.e. AnyDVD HD or DVDFab. It might have been decided by a special deal that one or the other company was offering. From what I can tell, both paths lead to the same destination and neither is better than the other. AnyDVD HD has SpeedMenu which also selects the correct playlist. However, it only works if one has software on their ripping box to play Blu-rays. I do not, so that won't work for me.

So my flow is to look first at AnyDVD HD's info, then proceed with Clown BD and look at what playlists are offered. If I am not able to determine which to use, I run BDRB and start looking for runtimes on the case or Blu-ray.com. There is also a site that I linked a few days ago that dives into the differences between various movie version and lists runtimes. Plus there is the AVS thread that lists movies and playlists.

Jeff
post #3577 of 5693
Speaking as someone who has both DVD Fab AND any dvd AND using clown BD, each has its pros and cons. As far as DVDFAB ALWAYS picking out the correct playlist, that has NOT been my experience. The last two Harry Potters immediately come to mind...
post #3578 of 5693
I always used to get random read errors in the middle of a BDRip, with DVDFAB - very frustrating. MakeMKV has been good to me. However, Seasons 4 - 6 of NCIS DVDs required a little finesse, and only ripped correctly as ISO or VOB with AnyDVD / IMGBurn or DVDShrink. CBS media is very touchy with MKV rips.

squint.gif
Edited by L33TX43RT - 7/18/13 at 1:18pm
post #3579 of 5693
It seems this is all a very fine science and no one has come out on top yet which is a shame. I will keep looking at DVD Fab any dvd HD and possibly revisit makemkv for the time being cool.gif
post #3580 of 5693
What ever happened to the Slysoft Slyce program that was going to be released? It was going to automate compressing the BD rips and picking out the titles and audio tracks.
post #3581 of 5693
I don't ever expect to load a 400-disc carousel, hit a button and have it populate my media server.

Jeff
post #3582 of 5693

I didn't ever expect to have a phone that takes pictures and plays music.

biggrin.gif

post #3583 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

I didn't ever expect to have a phone that takes pictures and plays music.
biggrin.gif


Good point. Or a phone that lets you post on a forum while watching a movie in your theater. smile.gif

Jeff
post #3584 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

You can't lose two drives at once. If you do then you cannot rebuild them. WHen I was replacing a drive with a larger capacity one, it was rebuilding the info for the replacement. If I had lost a drive too, I would have been hosed for the content on both of the drives.

I don't know what ways there would have been around it, but without a backup of my configuration I couldn't easily go back to my old configuration. I typically do a backup of the configuration before I make any changes. I had upgraded my parity drive, and an array drive recently and had forgotten to make a backup of the configuration for some reason. So the only proper backup I had was too old to cover the configuration I had when upgrading another array drive..
You can lose two drives in a raid 6 configuration.

Backup your configuration? This must be some wacky soft raid thing 😃
Edited by DotJun - 7/18/13 at 11:27pm
post #3585 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

You can lose two drives in a raid 6 configuration.

Backup your configuration? This must be some wacky soft raid thing 😃

I was talking about unRAID. The configuration has a list of all your drives and the positions in the array. As well as shares, etc.

I have never used a RAID6. Although I am using a couple of RAID5 setups. One with WIndows 8 in software and one with an INTEL NAS in hardware..
post #3586 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweisen View Post

It seems this is all a very fine science and no one has come out on top yet which is a shame. I will keep looking at DVD Fab any dvd HD and possibly revisit makemkv for the time being cool.gif
If you read this thread you will see that there are as many ways to rip a BD as there are people doing the ripping -- it is art, not science and most definitely a hobby. Like any other new-bee you will have to jump in and get your hands dirty and gain experience. Until you get that experience you don't even know the right questions to ask. You can take the suggestions you have been given to get yourself familiar with the tools that exist. But in the end, you will have to develop YOUR OWN art of ripping with the combination of tools you select. The workflow you develop will depend on the end result you want for the rips and the end result depends on the configuration of your media playback environment (network, storage, playback devices) now and in the future. That is pretty much the case for everyone here -- ripping workflow is all very personal.

So you have already seen that no one is going to give you an off-the-shelf solution for your needs that you are happy with -- they are only going to give you their solution. You can read back through this thread and see posts where people have outlined in detail their personal ripping workflows, including mine. You can start there. Try a few tools and see how they fit. It will require a bit of work and experimentation on your part as any hobby would.
post #3587 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

Speaking as someone who has both DVD Fab AND any dvd AND using clown BD, each has its pros and cons. As far as DVDFAB ALWAYS picking out the correct playlist, that has NOT been my experience. The last two Harry Potters immediately come to mind...
With my workflow, I had no problems at all with the last two Harry Potter movies. There is so much variation that exists -- this is truly an art.

I have ripped BD titles that show a "dozen" identical playlists for the main title in DVD Fab. I'll then do a full disk rip of that same BD with DVD Fab to my HDD, then run Clown_BD on it to extract the main title. When Clown comes up to the playlist selection screen I have often seen the case where Clown only displays a single playlist for the main title -- I rip it and it's the right one. So go figure.

Those last two Harry Potter films may have been like that because I only recall seeing a single playlist in Clown_BD for them.

I have had other cases where DVD Fab would show a bunch of playlists and pick the "right" one. I would make note of that playlist number then do a full disk rip to the HDD. Then when I run Clown_BD on it, the playlist number that DVD Fab selected is not even listed in the Clown_BD playlist selection screen -- does it get any more confusing? In those cases, I go back to DVD Fab and rip the main title it selects then run that rip through Clown_BD to merge the segments and check for forced subs. DVD Fab has always picked the right one for me when I needed it to. Life could be so much easier is the OSD of your BD player would show the title number of what you were playing. It is a feature I've requested DVD Fab put in their new media player.

general aside:
Unless you only rip to full-disk BD.iso, no one should deny that ripping is an art and we are all artists. If you think of it that way, it makes many of these argumentative discussions, like the compress/not-compress row, little more than arguments over what brush and paint you prefer for your art.
post #3588 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

If you read this thread you will see that there are as many ways to rip a BD as there are people doing the ripping -- it is art, not science and most definitely a hobby. Like any other new-bee you will have to jump in and get your hands dirty and gain experience. Until you get that experience you don't even know the right questions to ask. You can take the suggestions you have been given to get yourself familiar with the tools that exist. But in the end, you will have to develop YOUR OWN art of ripping with the combination of tools you select. The workflow you develop will depend on the end result you want for the rips and the end result depends on the configuration of your media playback environment (network, storage, playback devices) now and in the future. That is pretty much the case for everyone here -- ripping workflow is all very personal.

Appending - Many of the tools are free, and the ones that are not have a trial period. My take on this, for a newb, is to decide which of the paid subscription apps they want to use, e.g. AnyDVD HD, DVDFab or MakeMKV, and then go from there. I don't know how much help *we* will be as those of us who use AnyDVD HD will give you an AnyDVD HD-centric argument; ditto users of DVDFab and/or MakeMKV.

Good luck!

Jeff
post #3589 of 5693
I've got a quick question regarding Forced Subs and MKVMerge GUI. Is it possible to download the Forced Sub file, and use MKVMerge GUI to remux it? I'm in the process of re-doing all of my BD movies from BD folder structure to MKV only via MKVMerge, and I've got many movies with multiple subtitle tracks, and I am not really sure, which one is the correct forced one. Thanks.
post #3590 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I've got a quick question regarding Forced Subs and MKVMerge GUI. Is it possible to download the Forced Sub file, and use MKVMerge GUI to remux it? I'm in the process of re-doing all of my BD movies from BD folder structure to MKV only via MKVMerge, and I've got many movies with multiple subtitle tracks, and I am not really sure, which one is the correct forced one. Thanks.

Yes, done this before. As long as the subs you grab are the same version as the movie (i.e. don't grab subs for the extended version if you have the normal length movie) you will be perfectly fine muxing in via mkvmerge
post #3591 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I've got a quick question regarding Forced Subs and MKVMerge GUI. Is it possible to download the Forced Sub file, and use MKVMerge GUI to remux it? I'm in the process of re-doing all of my BD movies from BD folder structure to MKV only via MKVMerge, and I've got many movies with multiple subtitle tracks, and I am not really sure, which one is the correct forced one. Thanks.

You have the full folder structure or did you drop the subs when you ripped(I guess they should be there, I think they are stored inside the m2ts file with everything else)? If you have the full folder structure MakeMKV will rip the forced subtitle track and mark it with the default flag automatically.
post #3592 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

You have the full folder structure or did you drop the subs when you ripped(I guess they should be there, I think they are stored inside the m2ts file with everything else)? If you have the full folder structure MakeMKV will rip the forced subtitle track and mark it with the default flag automatically.

Folder structure was completed by ClownBD as main movie only. The subtitles are withing the M2TS files and the MPLS files, which has the chapter information. When I remux with MKVMerger, I use the MPLS file rather than the M2TS file so I can keep the chapters. The issue with ClownBD and forced subtitles is that it doesn't flag them as Forced. So, now I am trying to figure out, which movies required forced subtitles, and I will remux those folder structure movies to MKV with MKVMerge GUI. I trid MakeMKV, and it didn't flag the forced subs for Avatar, but I can do that manually with MKVMerger GUI.
post #3593 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Folder structure was completed by ClownBD as main movie only. The subtitles are withing the M2TS files and the MPLS files, which has the chapter information. When I remux with MKVMerger, I use the MPLS file rather than the M2TS file so I can keep the chapters. The issue with ClownBD and forced subtitles is that it doesn't flag them as Forced. So, now I am trying to figure out, which movies required forced subtitles, and I will remux those folder structure movies to MKV with MKVMerge GUI. I trid MakeMKV, and it didn't flag the forced subs for Avatar, but I can do that manually with MKVMerger GUI.
Rip the subs out of the m2ts with eac3to then mux it into your movie file. Eac3to will tell you which ones are forced and you can check if it is the correct language with suprip. Oh, if you see a sub file with only a dozen or so lines, it is safe to assume that is also forced.
post #3594 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Folder structure was completed by ClownBD as main movie only. The subtitles are withing the M2TS files and the MPLS files, which has the chapter information. When I remux with MKVMerger, I use the MPLS file rather than the M2TS file so I can keep the chapters. The issue with ClownBD and forced subtitles is that it doesn't flag them as Forced. So, now I am trying to figure out, which movies required forced subtitles, and I will remux those folder structure movies to MKV with MKVMerge GUI. I trid MakeMKV, and it didn't flag the forced subs for Avatar, but I can do that manually with MKVMerger GUI.

You tried with the v 1.83 or newer MakeMKV? It works with Avatar straight off the disc. It might have something to do with it not being in it's native folder structure?
post #3595 of 5693
Man, all this talk about makemkv makes me want to try it again. It's just that I had such bad luck with it in the past with out of sync audio on almost everything...
post #3596 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

Man, all this talk about makemkv makes me want to try it again. It's just that I had such bad luck with it in the past with out of sync audio on almost everything...

That's the reason I am using MKVMerge GUI instead. I had the same issue as you in the past with MakeMKV.
post #3597 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

Man, all this talk about makemkv makes me want to try it again. It's just that I had such bad luck with it in the past with out of sync audio on almost everything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

That's the reason I am using MKVMerge GUI instead. I had the same issue as you in the past with MakeMKV.

I'm not an MakeMKV user, so I apologize if this is a dumb question. How does using a GUI affect audio/video sync? Or is MKVMerge/MKVMerge GUI a different piece of software from MakeMKV?

Jeff
post #3598 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post


I'm not an MakeMKV user, so I apologize if this is a dumb question. How does using a GUI affect audio/video sync? Or is MKVMerge/MKVMerge GUI a different piece of software from MakeMKV?

Jeff

I don't know the difference, but MKVMerge GUI works better for me.
post #3599 of 5693

Hey all, I tried using MKVMerge to merge a mts2 file with an existing MKV--while the final file did what I wanted with the Video (place the IMAX trailer in front of a ripped movie), the trailer audio was lost in the merge and the movie audio was shifted forward to the start of the trailer.  Very strange.  Is there something special that must be changed in settings before merging two files in order to combine files seamlessly?  Any help would be most appreciated.

post #3600 of 5693
Anyone have a guide to making 1:1 .mkv files with lossless audio?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home