or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 132

post #3931 of 5693
Is there a single thread over there listing these? I have been poking around since you posted that but dont see it....
post #3932 of 5693
^^^

+1
post #3933 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Is there a single thread over there listing these? I have been poking around since you posted that but dont see it....

Not usually. Most times its individual titles on the thread title. Make sure you go to the AnyDVD HD sub forum though. https://forum.slysoft.com/forumdisplay.php?53-AnyDVD-HD

"Now you see Me" is the 12th thread past the stickies.
post #3934 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

Can I ask you what handbrake parameters you set? Can just copy and paste the x264 command line.

Also you can tell handbrake to no process audio, extract the truehd with eac3to or tsmuxer and then mux with mkvmerge. Though, I thought I had found a way for handbrake to passthrough audio in the past.

Only changed a couple settings in Handbrake
Under the Picture Tab
Size -
1920 X 800
click on keep aspect ratio
Anamorphic - None

Cropping - Custom
Top 140 - Bottom 140

Under Video Tab
I changed quality to Avg Bitrate
used 28000
and checked 2 Pass encoding and Turbo first pass
post #3935 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Is there a single thread over there listing these? I have been poking around since you posted that but dont see it....

It's been linked in this thread a couple times already but I still think this is the best resource: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1155731/new-unofficial-blu-ray-audio-and-video-specifications-thread
post #3936 of 5693
Redbox Rental "Now you see me" correct playlist:


14) 00651.mpls, 1:55:22
[506+513+508+516+512+504+518+519+503+505+502+510+517+515+514].m2ts
- Chapters, 16 chapters
- h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
- DTS Master Audio, English, multi-channel, 48kHz
post #3937 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post


Yeah I would imagine it's not a high priority item for the majority of Handbrake users. Their primary base user is converting videos to one of the Apple profiles for use on their iDevice.
Yes but why allow dts but not thd. It isn't even a handbrake thing, it's an mkvmerge thing which is what I'm assuming handbrake uses.
post #3938 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Not usually. Most times its individual titles on the thread title. Make sure you go to the AnyDVD HD sub forum though. https://forum.slysoft.com/forumdisplay.php?53-AnyDVD-HD

"Now you see Me" is the 12th thread past the stickies.
You want to read them carefully though because some titles are ordered differently depending on the source. For instance if you bought yours from blockbuster vs amazon.
post #3939 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

Only changed a couple settings in Handbrake
Under the Picture Tab
Size -
1920 X 800
click on keep aspect ratio
Anamorphic - None

Cropping - Custom
Top 140 - Bottom 140

Under Video Tab
I changed quality to Avg Bitrate
used 28000
and checked 2 Pass encoding and Turbo first pass
Are you trying to hit a specific file size?
post #3940 of 5693
I took a quick look and handbrake has an "Auto Passthru" option under the audio tab. Maybe that one will do thd?

Anyone using handbrake want to try this out for me and give me some input?

Preset: Regular - High Profile
Video tab: Constant Quality RF 21
Audio Tab: Auto Passthru
Advanced Tab: Reference Frames - 8, Adaptive Direct Mode - Automatic, Motion Estimation Method - Uneven Multi-Hexagon, Subpoxel Estimation - 9, Psychovisual Trellis - 1.00,0.15, Trellis - Always, Deblocking - negative 1 on both.

Sorry but I suck at handbrake so I'm not very familiar with all its switches. I also know this is going to be somewhat slow to encode, about 5 hours for a typical bluray title on my 2600k, getting decent compression and pretty good pq. Before dismissing it, try it out, you got nothing to lose and can afterwards make fun of me for compressing my vids 😄
post #3941 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

I took a quick look and handbrake has an "Auto Passthru" option under the audio tab. Maybe that one will do thd?

Anyone using handbrake want to try this out for me and give me some input?

Preset: Regular - High Profile
Video tab: Constant Quality RF 21
Audio Tab: Auto Passthru
Advanced Tab: Reference Frames - 8, Adaptive Direct Mode - Automatic, Motion Estimation Method - Uneven Multi-Hexagon, Subpoxel Estimation - 9, Psychovisual Trellis - 1.00,0.15, Trellis - Always, Deblocking - negative 1 on both.

Sorry but I suck at handbrake so I'm not very familiar with all its switches. I also know this is going to be somewhat slow to encode, about 5 hours for a typical bluray title on my 2600k, getting decent compression and pretty good pq. Before dismissing it, try it out, you got nothing to lose and can afterwards make fun of me for compressing my vids 😄

how does this compare to the regular high settings?
thats what i use, and i have an overclocked 3820 so i am not worried about encoding time at all.
post #3942 of 5693
Pardon me for asking but it's hard going through all the posts to try and find my answer.

Are there any good guides or recommendations for ripping Bluray, removing its copy protection and then reencoding the files? What tools are people using nowadays? I could always buy AnyDVD HD but was looking to try this out using free tools to backup my purchased movies and store them on my NAS. Thanks.
post #3943 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokus View Post

Pardon me for asking but it's hard going through all the posts to try and find my answer.

Are there any good guides or recommendations for ripping Bluray, removing its copy protection and then reencoding the files? What tools are people using nowadays? I could always buy AnyDVD HD but was looking to try this out using free tools to backup my purchased movies and store them on my NAS. Thanks.

The common decryption tools are AnyDVD, DVDFab, and MakeMKV. None are free, although MakeMKV has a beta key that can be renewed.

By reencoding do you mean additional compression? HandBrake is a convenient free tool for that.

-Bill
post #3944 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

The common decryption tools are AnyDVD, DVDFab, and MakeMKV. None are free, although MakeMKV has a beta key that can be renewed.

By reencoding do you mean additional compression? HandBrake is a convenient free tool for that.

-Bill

with DVDfab you can get away with the decryption only for free, and then encode using handbrake or whatever.
thats what i do.
works fine with blu ray and DVDs.
post #3945 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by t00sl0w View Post

how does this compare to the regular high settings?
thats what i use, and i have an overclocked 3820 so i am not worried about encoding time at all.
Try it and tell me what you think 😊
post #3946 of 5693
I have an AMD X4 Phenom with 16gb ram. Any rough estimate on how long it would take to reencode a Bluray? I realize no encode and it's settings are the same from user to user. I don't know if its worth doing 1080p over 720. I will have a large NAS setup for storing of files but at this point I'm unsure how I want to rip and encode my movies for backup. I'd also hate to waste space just to have a 1:1 copy or even to spend the time making one.
post #3947 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokus View Post

I have an AMD X4 Phenom with 16gb ram. Any rough estimate on how long it would take to reencode a Bluray? I realize no encode and it's settings are the same from user to user. I don't know if its worth doing 1080p over 720. I will have a large NAS setup for storing of files but at this point I'm unsure how I want to rip and encode my movies for backup. I'd also hate to waste space just to have a 1:1 copy or even to spend the time making one.

I'm not familiar with AMD processors; can you find a place for it here, a chart of processor timings running HandBrake: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-31-Handbrake,3164.html

I have an Intel Core i3-2100, which is at the lower end of Sandy Bridge. Blu-ray conversion, using Handbrake Standard profile, q=20, is about the same as the run time of the title. It has gotten faster since I started, but whether that is due to improvements in Handbrake or x264, or to my Linux system, I do not know.

I keep the original resolution. Space savings vary, from "nothing" to around 8x and sometimes higher. 3x to 5x typically.

-Bill
post #3948 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I'm not familiar with AMD processors; can you find a place for it here, a chart of processor timings running HandBrake: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-31-Handbrake,3164.html

I have an Intel Core i3-2100, which is at the lower end of Sandy Bridge. Blu-ray conversion, using Handbrake Standard profile, q=20, is about the same as the run time of the title. It has gotten faster since I started, but whether that is due to improvements in Handbrake or x264, or to my Linux system, I do not know.

I keep the original resolution. Space savings vary, from "nothing" to around 8x and sometimes higher. 3x to 5x typically.

-Bill

depending on what exact x4 he has, his times will prob be very similar to yours.
lokus, do you know which model x4 you own?
if we can narrow that down, you can kinda come up with a +/- % around what wmcclain is getting.

also, if you have a 1080p TV, and a network that can handle the streaming, 1080p is worth it over 720p.
post #3949 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokus View Post

I have an AMD X4 Phenom with 16gb ram. Any rough estimate on how long it would take to reencode a Bluray? I realize no encode and it's settings are the same from user to user. I don't know if its worth doing 1080p over 720. I will have a large NAS setup for storing of files but at this point I'm unsure how I want to rip and encode my movies for backup. I'd also hate to waste space just to have a 1:1 copy or even to spend the time making one.
you should be able to drop down to 720 since very few titles actually use the full 1080 reso. I'll get you some links when I get the time.

The time it takes is variable. Even from title to title it will be since some titles compress better than others. You could look into frame serving for accuracy and speed but the app I use needs you to have cuda to do so.
post #3950 of 5693
post #3951 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokus View Post

I have this CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103923

thats a good chip, prob encode a lil faster than him overall...so take his times and maybe subtract 10%....
have you considered overclocking it at all? maybe shoot for 4ghz? that will decrease your times somewhat also.
post #3952 of 5693
^^^

Probably more important to use different drives for source and destination. For the fastest throughput, use SSDs.

Jeff
post #3953 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

^^^

Probably more important to use different drives for source and destination. For the fastest throughput, use SSDs.

Jeff

this, very very good tip...i often overlook it because i have always done that.
but yes, different drives for the raw data and the encoded data.
heck, if you can afford it use a different drive for each thing you do.
post #3954 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by t00sl0w View Post

thats a good chip, prob encode a lil faster than him overall...so take his times and maybe subtract 10%....
have you considered overclocking it at all? maybe shoot for 4ghz? that will decrease your times somewhat also.
Mine is oc'd to 5ghz. Makes a world of difference.
post #3955 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

^^^

Probably more important to use different drives for source and destination. For the fastest throughput, use SSDs.

Jeff
Drive speed won't be your bottleneck when encoding video, unless of course you are going from raw to compressed in which case your drives or more likely your bus will be what slows you down.
post #3956 of 5693
I have a newer LG internal blu ray burner combo drive in my computer, with storage drives on LAN of 4TB and 3 1TB sata drives as well. the new LG blu ray burner is the wh14ns40. I have clone dvd and any dvd hd and been ripping to image (ISO) a few blu ray titles. Gangster Squad, Skyfall and DarkKnight among others. but using the img burn, AnyDvd hd rip to image and another commercial blu ray ripper been taking as long , and longer than it would be to watch the movie. at 1x, this is a 14x burner. they come out fine , even the 22GB re mastered Catch a Thief and North by Northwest took an hour and a half.
I have a much older LG 10x BD ROM combo drive and u sing a similar computer with similar sata drives to rip to , i just did Gangster Squad in half an hour done and finished. plays just fine. i used the AnyDvd HD 'rip to image' to get the 22GB or so ISO. file. Same disc on the 14x LG bd write combo drive was at 40% and over an hour and a half when i just quit it. i was only testing.
I am just wondering the reasons for the enormous disparity, the bd ROM vs the bd burner. same 'c' drive ssd, both have same versions of everything Clone DVD, AnyDVD HD all up to date. both on the same network different areas of the house. i have looked around and have just updated the lg firmware, they just released a firmware update the LG tool never noticed. i just stumbled on it as i was looking for reasons the newer burner was so much slower than the older bd ROM on the same disc. maybe the old one was super fast? not sure. i do not burn to disc, only rip to drive in ISO. that is it. i leave the copy protection in place and basically just clone the blu ray disc to the hard drive. i tested on 3 different hard drives , usb 3.0 external, an eSata external plenty of room on both at least 500GB space or more and to similarly open space internal 1TB sata III drives. the fastest was to the eSata II external . i have amd phenom II x6 thuban 1090T beat 4.0gz in a ga890 fxa ud5 board with 16gb ddr3 1600 ram. 7950 3tb gpu though it didnt really do much, i have another 7950 but in a GA 990fxa ud3 and amd fx8150 @4.0gz as well. i dont think all that is necessary, info but just in case.
only on the latest 4 to 6 bd rips to image did i notice the length of time increase. not sure if firmware updates will make any difference will find out soon enough, i did not read that as a potential benefit from doing the update. i did find media code speed edit tool and just downloaded it, not sure how it might work or if the rip lock is relevant on this device or not. i have done earlier rips using it that took less time, didnt take much notice till lately when the total times were approaching 2.+hrs for one clone ISO. have done all kinds of file checks and normally keep things ticking along well enough and no other glitches fsc scans are fine. just the long wait, some one's quote 'like watching grass grow' to copy//back up a blu ray 22gb to 49gb , img burn showed 1x in the couple of tests i aborted after over 1.5hr at less than half way.
thanks to any one who has any time to share any guesses. not a terribly critical issue, will get to the bottom of it sooner or later.
thanks
john
post #3957 of 5693
I am editing the last post from a few hrs ago. I downloaded and installed the LG firmware 1.01 and ran another ImgBurn rip to drive iso of Gangster Squad a 22Gb blu ray and it completed in 10mins and a few seconds. It had , and others over a month, been taking into the 2hr range to rip to iso. as i mentioned. I did not need to install or use and rip lock software to get the improved speeds. I will be using the AnyDVD HD 'rip to image' option as well and guess it will preform as well'; it was running in the background as i used img burn . the read speeds were no longer stuck at 1x, they were from 5.2x to 12 or something like that in the img burn log.
I had been looking for the past month, using the LG Tool which kept sending me 'no new firmware u pdates' as i looked into the slowness of the newer 14x burner.
Just wanted to pass this on to any other LG WH14ns40 owners who have slow burn/rip times.
thanks
John
post #3958 of 5693

Hi guys ...like many of you, i have many(hundreds) DVD's and Blurays on disk that i want to transfer to my Synology NAS(DS1812+). But the thought of doing this 1-disk at a time from my laptop (which only has a DVD player and not a BD player) is just too painful to the point of being silly. So ....

 

 

1. Is there a service that can do this for you(for a nominal fee)?

 

2. Can i buy or better rent a machine to do this for me? if so, suggestions welcome...

 

3. What is the best format to transcode these movies to? Is MKV the best as i like perfect bit-for-bit lossless transfers?

 

 

Thanks,

David

post #3959 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

3. What is the best format to transcode these movies to? Is MKV the best as i like perfect bit-for-bit lossless transfers?

I don't know about #1 or #2 but the answer to #3 will depend on how you plan to play back the movies. What player did you have in mind? MKV will usually work but some players like m2ts or Blu-ray ISO better.
post #3960 of 5693

^^^

 

Oppo BDP105 ... and it doesn't play ISO files anymore.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home