or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 175

post #5221 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Yes, everything is encapsulated within the container but for what ever reason it doesn't see the actual language flags (English, Spanish etc) like it does it I load it from the disc.

Bill

I just got out my GoT Season 2 and it does the same thing. I ripped the m2ts and then ran it through ClownBD and it can't figure out the audio or subtitles.
post #5222 of 5688
Does anyone see any issues with this external drive? I was going to pick it up on the way home. The internal dvd drive in my computer stopped working to rip dvd or bluray and even after replacing the dvd drive with a bluray drive and reinstalling windows I can't rip anything. The only thing I can think is the motherboard or power supply or some weird thing is bad. Have changed cables and sata ports. Can't change power supply without changing the case. Everything else works fine. Honestly I'm just done troubleshooting it so I'm getting an external drive and plugging it into my laptop and moving on with my life. mad.gif I can rip with no trouble from the laptop but it doesn't have bluray. The computer even has a brand new hard drive in it so I am absolutely sure no settings were carried over from before the OS re-install. MakeMKV debugging mode shows SCSI errors in the logs. I didn't think to try debugging before I replaced the dvd drive and that drive has since been dropped five feet off of a shelf so I'm not putting it back in there to test.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/8x-external-usb-3-0-quad-layer-blu-ray-disc-dl-dvd-177rw-cd-rw-drive/2016002.p?id=1219068244356&skuId=2016002&st=pioneer%20external%20bluray&cp=1&lp=1
post #5223 of 5688
The external case and 14x/16x Liteon drive options mentioned a page or so back are a much faster choice. But they require a separate power cord and cost a bit more. Just depends on what you want. State of the art speed on rips with those choices, though.

That Pioneer drive is BDXL compatible, though. Not sure if that would ever get used, but nice to have I guess...
post #5224 of 5688
I'd go for an LG and an external case. Slim drives (like that Pioneer you linked) aren't the sturdiest devices.
post #5225 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I agree. I liked the MakeMKV program so much i ended up purchasing it. Previously I was a big fan of the free DVDFab ripper for DVD and Blu-ray, never purchased it since I was always put off by their confusing product listing (Copy, Ripper, Passkey, etc) plus their subscription plans that I just continued to use their free version. However this ended with their latest version that I downloaded and installed - the output after ripping a Blu-ray movie in my collection was strange to say the least. Don't ask me exactly what it was doing but I ended up with 5 GB files (admittedly I likely had a wrong settings in the program) and in my irritation immediately uninstalled the program. This is not to say that DVDFab is not a good program but that MakeMKV (at least at this point) is a better fit for me. My WDTV Live plays every mkv file perfectly.

I'm curious - what does the paid version add to the free/beta version? The only thing MakeMKV doesn't give you is any kind of compression. It leaves whatever streams you select, entirely untouched. You can shrink the end .mkv a little by setting up the program to encode lossless audio on BD to FLAC (though you need the Arcsoft TMT dtsdecoder.dll file to convert DTS-HD to FLAC).

DVDFab is convenient since it's all in one package and it's a lot easier to set up. Also, it can take advantage of hardware like CUDA or Intel Quick Sync which make ripping/encoding much faster, but I don't think the quality turns out as good as setting all of that to software so it uses the CPU. I still think Handbrake puts out better looking rips.
post #5226 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

"Ender's Game"
Retail Playlist = 821
Rental Playlist = 815

Segment order = 502, 512, 510, 516, 506, 509, 515, 523, 521, 513, 520, 503, 507, 522, 514


Anyone know how I determine which "Title" this is using MakeMKV? They all show up as just "Title"?

post #5227 of 5688
Click on a title and check the info pane to the right. The source file name shows the playlist number that usually correspons with the main movie title shown in DVDFab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post

I'm curious - what does the paid version add to the free/beta version?

The continued development of MakeMKV.
post #5228 of 5688

I did see the post above and tried ripping it with DVD Fab to an MKV File and it failed.

 

I downloaded MakeMKV and tried a few different ones and as I said they were jumping all over the place. How do I know what playlist is which in MakeMKV?

 

Just for a test I tried playing the main movie "Copy" that I did a few different times with different options all of which have drop outs on my Mede8er on another player my Micca EP600 and they have the same dropouts in the same exact place. Something I noticed, when I play the playlist through DVD Fab the places that I get the dropouts shows the "Timer / Timeline" goes backwards for a few seconds then back up to normal. What is up with that?

post #5229 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

I ripped the 'correct' playlist to .ts and there are slight pauses/audio drops where the chapter would normally 'change'. (Popcorn Hour A400)

Try converting the .ts to a .mkv format. It will fix the timing issues that is causing the audio pops / crackles. One of the reasons I converted all my files to .mkv a long time ago plus they are smaller file size when compared to .ts or .m2ts.
post #5230 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

I did see the post above and tried ripping it with DVD Fab to an MKV File and it failed.

I downloaded MakeMKV and tried a few different ones and as I said they were jumping all over the place. How do I know what playlist is which in MakeMKV?

Just for a test I tried playing the main movie "Copy" that I did a few different times with different options all of which have drop outs on my Mede8er on another player my Micca EP600 and they have the same dropouts in the same exact place. Something I noticed, when I play the playlist through DVD Fab the places that I get the dropouts shows the "Timer / Timeline" goes backwards for a few seconds then back up to normal. What is up with that?

Try just taking DVDFab and copying "Main Movie" your computer's desktop.

Then use MakeMKV and open the index.bdmv file from that Main Movie folder that DVDFab will create.

At least this way it'll give you the correct title and then you can turn it into an .mkv. The problem is MakeMKV won't compress, so it'll be anywhere up to 30GB or so.
post #5231 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post


Try just taking DVDFab and copying "Main Movie" your computer's desktop.

Then use MakeMKV and open the index.bdmv file from that Main Movie folder that DVDFab will create.

At least this way it'll give you the correct title and then you can turn it into an .mkv. The problem is MakeMKV won't compress, so it'll be anywhere up to 30GB or so.


Thanks for the suggestion, I did this (I have my Copies in ISO files) I pointed MakeMKV to it and converted it, it took less than 3 minutes as the drive it was on is an SSD (I love SSD's!!!) and low and behold I don't have any drop outs (at least not in the same place). The question is WHY??? The file is smaller but not by much at all maybe 1GB (the main movie is a little over 18GB).

 

On another note someone said you can get a key for MakeMKV for free while they are still in development? Can anyone point me to that as it looks like I might be using it more. What I didn't try which I will at some point is converting it using DVD Fab as well, maybe that would work as well? I am not sure but still can't figure out why I get the dropouts as an ISO but not an MKV.

post #5232 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

I did see the post above and tried ripping it with DVD Fab to an MKV File and it failed.

I downloaded MakeMKV and tried a few different ones and as I said they were jumping all over the place. How do I know what playlist is which in MakeMKV?

Just for a test I tried playing the main movie "Copy" that I did a few different times with different options all of which have drop outs on my Mede8er on another player my Micca EP600 and they have the same dropouts in the same exact place. Something I noticed, when I play the playlist through DVD Fab the places that I get the dropouts shows the "Timer / Timeline" goes backwards for a few seconds then back up to normal. What is up with that?

Going to the MakeMKV forums can be quite informative.
Quote:
If you have opened a disk and MakeMKV has given you the menu to select titles, which you click on a title in the left window, there is a status message in the RIGHT side that lists information about the title, including its file name on the BD.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7576

Also here;

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7580
post #5233 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post


Going to the MakeMKV forums can be quite informative.
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7576

Also here;

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7580


Thanks, I also found the key I was asking about...

 

I don't really understand why this is making a difference in playback with my Mede8er as well as my Micca Player. I would have thought the issue would have been in the file and I would have to re-copy / rip from the original Blu-Ray but so far that doesn't seem to be the case which makes this even more puzzling to me.

 

Looks like I will be going with mkv files from now on!

 

Thank you to everyone on this board and especially to the people that took the time to respond to my questions. You guys are all awesome!!!

 

I wanted to add that so far I have converted the Lorax as well as Star Wars Phantom Menace and not only are the Audio Dropouts Gone but I was also getting a slight glitch in the video around the same time the Audio would drop out with Star Wars and that is gone as well. Looks like MKV is my new format of choice =)


Edited by funhouse69 - 2/22/14 at 10:25am
post #5234 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post


Thanks, I also found the key I was asking about...

I don't really understand why this is making a difference in playback with my Mede8er as well as my Micca Player. I would have thought the issue would have been in the file and I would have to re-copy / rip from the original Blu-Ray but so far that doesn't seem to be the case which makes this even more puzzling to me.

Looks like I will be going with mkv files from now on!

Thank you to everyone on this board and especially to the people that took the time to respond to my questions. You guys are all awesome!!!

I wanted to add that so far I have converted the Lorax as well as Star Wars Phantom Menace and not only are the Audio Dropouts Gone but I was also getting a slight glitch in the video around the same time the Audio would drop out with Star Wars and that is gone as well. Looks like MKV is my new format of choice =)

Not sure why you were getting dropouts before. The slightly smaller file size is because MKV has less overhead than ISO.

Here's their forum post for the beta key - http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
Edited by hogger129 - 2/22/14 at 1:02pm
post #5235 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

I don't really understand why this is making a difference in playback with my Mede8er as well as my Micca Player. I would have thought the issue would have been in the file and I would have to re-copy / rip from the original Blu-Ray but so far that doesn't seem to be the case which makes this even more puzzling to me.
As I noted above, I ripped Enders Game (full disk) with DVD Fab9 and extracted the main title (using the correct play list) to .m2ts with Clown_BD and it plays perfectly on the WD Live-SMP. I just finished watching the movie again with my daughter and there were no audio dropouts or hiccups whatsoever.

I get perfect playback on the Live-SMP. You say your issue is when playing on the medi8er and micca. I wonder if this is a Sigma vs. Realtek chip set thing.
post #5236 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post


As I noted above, I ripped Enders Game (full disk) with DVD Fab9 and extracted the main title (using the correct play list) to .m2ts with Clown_BD and it plays perfectly on the WD Live-SMP. I just finished watching the movie again with my daughter and there were no audio dropouts or hiccups whatsoever.

I get perfect playback on the Live-SMP. You say your issue is when playing on the medi8er and micca. I wonder if this is a Sigma vs. Realtek chip set thing.

 

Thanks for the reply - I've been copying / ripping my BRs with DVD Fab to an ISO File, I do some with compression and some without. Ender's I did without compression (usually don't compress the action / adventure / Animated movies). In this format I was getting the dropouts not only in Ender's but also The Lorax which was way, way worse and even Star Wars - Phantom Menace. Someone suggested taking the same ISO Copy / Rip and converting it to an MKV to see what would happen. I did that with Ender's first and the Dropouts were gone so I tried it with the other two and they also play perfectly.

 

Looks like MKV is the way to go isn't it?

post #5237 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

As I noted above, I ripped Enders Game (full disk) with DVD Fab9 and extracted the main title (using the correct play list) to .m2ts with Clown_BD and it plays perfectly on the WD Live-SMP. I just finished watching the movie again with my daughter and there were no audio dropouts or hiccups whatsoever.

I get perfect playback on the Live-SMP. You say your issue is when playing on the medi8er and micca. I wonder if this is a Sigma vs. Realtek chip set thing.

Same here (except I use AnyDVD + ClownBD + Mkvmerge), just watched Enders Game yesterday and zero dropouts (using a Dune / sigma player)
post #5238 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

Thanks for the reply - I've been copying / ripping my BRs with DVD Fab to an ISO File, I do some with compression and some without. Ender's I did without compression (usually don't compress the action / adventure / Animated movies). In this format I was getting the dropouts not only in Ender's but also The Lorax which was way, way worse and even Star Wars - Phantom Menace. Someone suggested taking the same ISO Copy / Rip and converting it to an MKV to see what would happen. I did that with Ender's first and the Dropouts were gone so I tried it with the other two and they also play perfectly.

Looks like MKV is the way to go isn't it?

Also, part of the problem may be b/c I think those movies are seamless branch which many players cannot play back properly (leadiing to dropouts). Going to an mkv or a standalone ts/m2ts with Clown_BD removes the seamless branch.
post #5239 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

As I noted above, I ripped Enders Game (full disk) with DVD Fab9 and extracted the main title (using the correct play list) to .m2ts with Clown_BD and it plays perfectly on the WD Live-SMP. I just finished watching the movie again with my daughter and there were no audio dropouts or hiccups whatsoever.

I get perfect playback on the Live-SMP. You say your issue is when playing on the medi8er and micca. I wonder if this is a Sigma vs. Realtek chip set thing.

When you run it through Clown BD it joins all the m2ts segments together into a single m2ts. Extract the main movie to disk using DVDFab and then put in an ISO container and I'll bet you'll see the drops with the SMP.
post #5240 of 5688
Use MakeMKV and Handbrake. Both are free. I am still on the older Handbrake (0.9.5) I think? It's the one where you can still specify an approximate output file size.

DVDFab works, but the quality isn't as good as Handbrake in my experience.

Another useful tool to have is MKVMergeGUI. I have gotten some output files where the video/audio is out of sync and you can enter a delay into this program to get them to line up properly.
post #5241 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Also, part of the problem may be b/c I think those movies are seamless branch which many players cannot play back properly (leadiing to dropouts). Going to an mkv or a standalone ts/m2ts with Clown_BD removes the seamless branch.

WIth my A400's and a full ISO it has no problems playing it back. As long as I play the correct title track there are no issues. Of course even my C200 has no issues. But that is because it can play the BD ISOs back with full BD menus.
post #5242 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

Thanks for the reply - I've been copying / ripping my BRs with DVD Fab to an ISO File, I do some with compression and some without. Ender's I did without compression (usually don't compress the action / adventure / Animated movies). In this format I was getting the dropouts not only in Ender's but also The Lorax which was way, way worse and even Star Wars - Phantom Menace. Someone suggested taking the same ISO Copy / Rip and converting it to an MKV to see what would happen. I did that with Ender's first and the Dropouts were gone so I tried it with the other two and they also play perfectly.

Looks like MKV is the way to go isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

When you run it through Clown BD it joins all the m2ts segments together into a single m2ts. Extract the main movie to disk using DVDFab and then put in an ISO container and I'll bet you'll see the drops with the SMP.

As has been noted, Enders Game is comprised of 15 segments. A main title rip to .iso by DVD Fab does not join the segments so your player must be capable of handling the seamless branching of that title. This is opposed to what Clown_BD does which is to use eac3to to join the segments as it is extracting the main title and then remux into a single .m2ts file.

I have done it both ways for EndersGame. The new firmware for the WD Live-SMP apparently supports seamless branching in a BD.iso (but still not chapter points). I have been wanting to test it and Enders Game was the first new BD I got that was authored as seamless branching. So in addition to ripping the .m2ts as I detailed above, I also used DVD Fab to rip the main title to a folder structure (to verify the presence of 15 segments) and then used ImgBurn to package the folder into an .iso. I can tell you with certainty that the WD Live-SMP plays the segmented BD.iso as perfectly and flawlessly as it does the single .m2ts file.

Again, I would not be surprised if your issue is a player issue with a seamless branching .iso.
Edited by Kelson - 2/24/14 at 8:52am
post #5243 of 5688
Need some advice guys…

I once had all my movies backup up to ISO using AnyDVD/ClownBD/imgburn. I used the Dune/YADIS combo and it worked well.

Long story, but one drive became corrupted and then I had to repurpose the other drives I had movies on for other projects. I really wasn't streaming to other rooms anyways, just sort-of backing up if anything. I also became obsessed w/scraping and filling in all the movie data.


I want to re-backup everything in MP4 so:

-I can move those files to USB drives for my kids to watch cartoons on our headrest monitors (MP4 and AVI) in our vehicles

-Place movies/series on iDevices as needed (iPods and iPads)

-get more space out of new hard drives

-AirPlay movies to other rooms (seems easier than finding another Dune HD)

-Place all the MP4s on a NAS


If I have read correctly, I can place the hi-def tracks in the MP4 container, as-well-as select 2-channel/stereo and get pretty decent video quality, too.


My AnyDVD license is up for renewal this month, so was wondering if this is the most efficient tool/workflow to do this. (using Win7, 12-core Mac Pro, 3G Radeon card, LG-BD-R)

Thanks!
post #5244 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse View Post

Need some advice guys…

I once had all my movies backup up to ISO using AnyDVD/ClownBD/imgburn. I used the Dune/YADIS combo and it worked well.

Long story, but one drive became corrupted and then I had to repurpose the other drives I had movies on for other projects. I really wasn't streaming to other rooms anyways, just sort-of backing up if anything. I also became obsessed w/scraping and filling in all the movie data.


I want to re-backup everything in MP4 so:

-I can move those files to USB drives for my kids to watch cartoons on our headrest monitors (MP4 and AVI) in our vehicles

-Place movies/series on iDevices as needed (iPods and iPads)

-get more space out of new hard drives

-AirPlay movies to other rooms (seems easier than finding another Dune HD)

-Place all the MP4s on a NAS


If I have read correctly, I can place the hi-def tracks in the MP4 container, as-well-as select 2-channel/stereo and get pretty decent video quality, too.


My AnyDVD license is up for renewal this month, so was wondering if this is the most efficient tool/workflow to do this. (using Win7, 12-core Mac Pro, 3G Radeon card, LG-BD-R)

Thanks!

So I am guessing you want to encode your videos using something like Handbrake?
post #5245 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

So I am guessing you want to encode your videos using something like Handbrake?

Yes, so I would use AnyDVD and then Handbrake in my windows environment, right?
post #5246 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse View Post

Yes, so I would use AnyDVD and then Handbrake in my windows environment, right?

Correct. I would just mess around with some of the presets Handbrake has to make sure you are getting exactly what you want (and it is compatible with all devices you hope to use for playback). I use Handbrake periodically for creating mobile versions
post #5247 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Correct. I would just mess around with some of the presets Handbrake has to make sure you are getting exactly what you want (and it is compatible with all devices you hope to use for playback). I use Handbrake periodically for creating mobile versions

Thank you!
post #5248 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

I merely copied the raw M2TS files off the discs. It's once you do this that ClownBD no longer recognizes the languages, either audio or subtitles. I ended up just doing them direct from the disc without issue but found the problem odd and worth mentioning.

Do me a favor try it and see what happens, copy 00045.M2TS off of disc 1 the try and process with ClownBD and you should see the same issue. ClownBD version 0.81

Thanks

Bill
Sounds like it isn't decrypted.
post #5249 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

So I am guessing you want to encode your videos using something like Handbrake?
By hi def are you referring to lossless?

Before you start encoding you should look up your devices constraints. For instance, ps3 won't allow you to go over 2gb file sizes and I think most apple devices won't do 5.1 audio that is not aac/mo3/alac.
post #5250 of 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

By hi def are you referring to lossless?

Before you start encoding you should look up your devices constraints. For instance, ps3 won't allow you to go over 2gb file sizes and I think most apple devices won't do 5.1 audio that is not aac/mo3/alac.

Yes, I would like to include a 2-ch stereo mix and the lossless track (DTS-HD Master and DD HD). Clown BD used to let you select which formats and languages you wanted, right? I'm assuming handbrake will do the same?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home