or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 4

post #91 of 5714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik71 View Post

The WH12LS30 is NOT on the MCSE list:

http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/

WH10LS30 is on the list (I have one and have unlocked it with MCSE). Also, I see that BH12NS30 is on the list, but I have no idea if you can cross-flash that onto the WH12LS30, unlocked or not.

This guy was able to unlock a BH12LS35, which is not on the MCSE list, so maybe the WH12LS30 could be unlocked with MCSE. Note the speed comparison at the end of the post -- the fastest BD rippers were a Sony and a Lite-On (without need to unlock).

http://blog.insanegenius.com/2011/04...ollection.html

If you are feeling adventurous, you could download this BH12LS30 firmware, unlock it with MCSE, and flash it. I'm not sure I'd risk it, though.

http://files.rpc1.org/index.php?act=view&id=5864

Alternatively, you could dump your firmware with a program called "flasher", unlock it, and flash it:

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

So maybe you ought to talk some sense into me.

I downloaded the firmware version using the link you gave me. I also checked out the mymce forums and other blogs and the firmware seems correct. I also dumped my drive's firmware and it looks very similar to the downloaded firmware version using MCSE, although not exactly the same.

I edited the speed using MCSE and now am sitting on the firmware. Part of me is thinking, why do I need increased speed? Half the time I'm not here even if the speed were faster. I mean if I set the ripping process to start when I go to bed (as I frequently do) then what does it matter if it takes 1/2 hour or 2 hours? The other half is thinking, do I care about the noise of the drive? Can I flash it back if I need to? And one last part of me just wants to do it to prove to myself I can do it....But that's one heck of a gamble with a $99 drive.
post #92 of 5714
There is always risk involved but doing this to the firmware is nothing new. I used to do it to DVD firmwares in the early 2000's. But again there is always some type of risk. There is even risk involved when flashing with the normal firmware supplied by the manufacturer.

But out of the dozens of DVD drives and the five BD drives that I've used modified firmware on, I've personally never had an issue with it.
post #93 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

So maybe you ought to talk some sense into me.

Not really my way. If you do not feel comfortable doing it, then do not do it!

But if I were going to try to unlock a WH12LS30 myself, I'd go the 'flasher' route -- dump my drive's firmware with flasher, unlock the dumped firmware with MCSE, and then flash it back with flasher.

Alternatively, one could buy a new drive that does not have riplock. In the link I posted earlier (insanegenius.com), Pieter found that the fastest rips were with a Sony BD-5300S and Lite-On iHBS212, and they did not need to be unlocked. He says the Sony is just a rebranded iHBS112 (which I believe is just an OEM iHBS212 without Lightscribe).

I needed a new BD burner drive for another computer I had, and I just ordered a Lite-On iHBS112 from newegg for $99. If anyone is interested, I could post a rip speed comparison between that and my unlocked WH10LS30 later this week.
post #94 of 5714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik71 View Post

Not really my way. If you do not feel comfortable doing it, then do not do it!

But if I were going to try to unlock a WH12LS30 myself, I'd go the 'flasher' route -- dump my drive's firmware with flasher, unlock the dumped firmware with MCSE, and then flash it back with flasher.

Alternatively, one could buy a new drive that does not have riplock. In the link I posted earlier (insanegenius.com), Pieter found that the fastest rips were with a Sony BD-5300S and Lite-On iHBS212, and they did not need to be unlocked. He says the Sony is just a rebranded iHBS112 (which I believe is just an OEM iHBS212 without Lightscribe).

I needed a new BD burner drive for another computer I had, and I just ordered a Lite-On iHBS112 from newegg for $99. If anyone is interested, I could post a rip speed comparison between that and my unlocked WH10LS30 later this week.

with flasher, do you use it from the command prompt within windows (DOS console) or are you booting to DOS and then flashing? I dumped it in the command prompt console, but I'm afraid to flash within it (although not sure why it would matter as long as I shut down all other processes).
post #95 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik71 View Post

I needed a new BD burner drive for another computer I had, and I just ordered a Lite-On iHBS112 from newegg for $99. If anyone is interested, I could post a rip speed comparison between that and my unlocked WH10LS30 later this week.

I would be interested.
post #96 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

And one last part of me just wants to do it to prove to myself I can do it....But that's one heck of a gamble with a $99 drive.

NewEgg still has it for $85 (free s/h) if you brick it.

Personally, since I see you are so ambivalent towards the rip speed increase, I would not do a thing until the drive was listed in the MCSE site -- meaning someone else took a chance and verified on their drive that it works.
post #97 of 5714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

NewEgg still has it for $85 (free s/h) if you brick it.

Personally, since I see you are so ambivalent towards the rip speed increase, I would not do a thing until the drive was listed in the MCSE site -- meaning someone else took a chance and verified on their drive that it works.

I couldn't NOT do it! I was too anxious to prove it to myself. Anyways, I tried using the flash utility and it initially seemed to work. It said my drive flashed successfully and the light on the drive blinked as if it were being flashed, but at the end the drive wouldn't open. I tried reflashing with the old main_firmware.bin and still a no-go. Totally thought I bricked it and thought "well, there goes $99 apparently now $85). But I didn't give up. I used the firmware I downloaded from the internet using the link from a previous post (.exe file) and it worked! So did the MCSE unlocked version. MCSE also is a lot better to work with because it's an .exe file that works within windows.

I'm going to start ripping with the new firmware now and I'll post what my thoughts are.

P.S. I'm now a little POed that NewEgg is selling that drive for cheaper than I bought it for two weeks ago (from them).
post #98 of 5714
You might have given up too soon on your first try. Generally after a flash, you need to remove power from the drive (not just reboot). That means switching off your power supply or pulling the power cord out, and waiting long enough for the capacitors in the power supply to discharge (or the more direct route of pulling the power cable to the drive itself).
post #99 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik71 View Post

You might have given up too soon on your first try. Generally after a flash, you need to remove power from the drive (not just reboot). That means switching off your power supply or pulling the power cord out, and waiting long enough for the capacitors in the power supply to discharge (or the more direct route of pulling the power cable to the drive itself).


I only reboot. I've never removed power to the drive after updating the firmware. It's never caused any issues for me.
post #100 of 5714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik71 View Post

You might have given up too soon on your first try. Generally after a flash, you need to remove power from the drive (not just reboot). That means switching off your power supply or pulling the power cord out, and waiting long enough for the capacitors in the power supply to discharge (or the more direct route of pulling the power cable to the drive itself).

huh? Didn't know that. But MCSE didn't require that to flash...I just rebooted per the instructions. In any case, the reason I didn't use MCSE in the first place was because I wanted to use the firmware from my drive instead of some downloaded one. But now that I've used MCSE and the downloaded one, I'll just stick with that. and I guess I don't undestand why you would need to remove the power...
post #101 of 5714
Thread Starter 
BTW, I used clown_bd for another rip. The drive is now much louder but it didn't save a lot of time. I don't think the hold up with clown_bd was the ripping..
post #102 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post


I only reboot. I've never removed power to the drive after updating the firmware. It's never caused any issues for me.

If you search the forums for that drive, there are multiple cases of people flashing and then having exactly the same problem (tray won't open), and removing the power from the drive solves it.

It could be that the .EXE program has a command to reset the drive that 'flasher' does not have, and so maybe the power only needs to be removed with 'flasher'.
post #103 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

BTW, I used clown_bd for another rip. The drive is now much louder but it didn't save a lot of time. I don't think the hold up with clown_bd was the ripping..

It makes a significant difference with MakeMKV. Prior to unlocking my WH10LS30, I would barely get over 4X. After unlocking it, it can peak at 8X, although only for discs that are over 20GB. Even on the shorter ones, though, it makes a difference, usually starting at 4X while previously it started in the 2X to 3X range.
post #104 of 5714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik71 View Post

If you search the forums for that drive, there are multiple cases of people flashing and then having exactly the same problem (tray won't open), and removing the power from the drive solves it.

It could be that the .EXE program has a command to reset the drive that 'flasher' does not have, and so maybe the power only needs to be removed with 'flasher'.

which forums? I didn't see hardly any posts on my drive at all, especially at MCSE. Can you post some links?

Interesting though...I think I'll stick with my current firmware update. It seems to be working and like I said earlier, the firmware looked very similar when I looked at it in MCSE
post #105 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Funny , all this talk of new BR drives and ripping. You know what I'm using? I pulled the drive out of my old Panasonic BDp 10a. Dropped in in my computer years ago. I can rip a BD in a little over an hour, not much different than what you guys are reporting with the latest drives. Supposedly it's a writer too, but I have never been able to get it to work. No matter, it does what I want and it was just siting on a shelf gathering dust.

ummm. I can do almost THREE blu rays in an hour. When you have about 400 to rip, that time adds up!
post #106 of 5714
Thread Starter 
Three in an hour? 20 minutes a piece? That's quick. You must not be doing any major stripping or encoding. Clown_BD seems to take an hour for me. I'm sure I could go faster if I used MakeMKV or IMGBRN, but then I'd need about 16TB to store your 400 BRs!
post #107 of 5714
Has any one had any issues with First Blood when creating an ISO?
It has DTSHD Hi Res audio (not MA) and on my setup it stutters (sound plays fine but the video jumps all around) when I rip as an ISO with Clown_BD and ANYDVDHD. I may try an MKV to see if it improves. It is not a network issue. The Dune seems to have an issue with this rip maybe because of the Hi Rez audio?
post #108 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

Three in an hour? 20 minutes a piece? That's quick. You must not be doing any major stripping or encoding. Clown_BD seems to take an hour for me. I'm sure I could go faster if I used MakeMKV or IMGBRN, but then I'd need about 16TB to store your 400 BRs!

My drive is unlocked and it takes about 20-30 for an average size BD rip. Just movie, Hi Def audio and Subs. 3 per hour seems optimistic but not by much. I would say 2 per hour is about the best we can expect with the best equipment available today.
post #109 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post


I only reboot. I've never removed power to the drive after updating the firmware. It's never caused any issues for me.

Same here... Never, Never, Never have I had to power down after a flash.
post #110 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

My drive is unlocked and it takes about 20-30 for an average size BD rip. Just movie, Hi Def audio and Subs. 3 per hour seems optimistic but not by much. I would say 2 per hour is about the best we can expect with the best equipment available today.

No, 3 per hour on average is easily achievable with MakeMKV and an 8X BD-ROM drive. Depending on the length of the blu-ray, I have seen 10 to 30 minutes time to rip (movie, HD audio, subs) with MakeMKV, and a majority are under 20 minutes (around 70%, I'd estimate).
post #111 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

My drive is unlocked and it takes about 20-30 for an average size BD rip. Just movie, Hi Def audio and Subs. 3 per hour seems optimistic but not by much. I would say 2 per hour is about the best we can expect with the best equipment available today.

I do full isos with image burn and anydvd running in the background. my last three disc were 24 minutes 26 minutes and 28 minutes so my math is a little off...
post #112 of 5714
Thread Starter 
You guys who are doing ful BR rips must have huge NASes. I've got 3TB of space and am worried I'll run out here shortly.
post #113 of 5714
You will run out. Progression of a compulsive disease...Some day you will grow up to have a big NAS too! ;-)
post #114 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

You guys who are doing ful BR rips must have huge NASes. I've got 3TB of space and am worried I'll run out here shortly.

I have 7.2TB and I am running out. Luckily my NAS can be expanded to up to 45TB so I'm not too worried.
post #115 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

You guys who are doing ful BR rips must have huge NASes. I've got 3TB of space and am worried I'll run out here shortly.

I have 56TB on my WHS and I've recently dedicated it strictly to BD ISOs to free up more space on it. After freeing up space I'm still down to only 8.5TB of free space on it. I'm going to need to transfer some of the content to my unRAID server soon. My unRAID server still has around 15TB free currently.

Of course the WHS is using duplication so every 40GB BD ISO is actually using 80GB of space.
post #116 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

You guys who are doing ful BR rips must have huge NASes. I've got 3TB of space and am worried I'll run out here shortly.

Depends on how disciplined you are. I have 8TB total NAS space and a commitment to that as a hard stop limit. We have limited time for viewing all the new content available, so I have a large amount of stuff on the NAS that we have not viewed. Likewise, I have a couple folders titled "\\woofers" and "\\strictly watch once" that I populate with titles that clearly fit those categories after we watch them. They continue to be available in the media player catalog until space starts to get tight -- then I have no problem kicking them off. And as life would have it, most new stuff we acquire fits into either of those two categories, so I'm not worried about having to buy another NAS.

But even with a disciplined approach, I feel 3TB is not enough. Especially if you get into BluRay, even if you only rip the main title.
post #117 of 5714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Depends on how disciplined you are. I have 8TB total NAS space and a commitment to that as a hard stop limit. We have limited time for viewing all the new content available, so I have a large amount of stuff on the NAS that we have not viewed. Likewise, I have a couple folders titled "\\woofers" and "\\strictly watch once" that I populate with titles that clearly fit those categories after we watch them. They continue to be available in the media player catalog until space starts to get tight -- then I have no problem kicking them off. And as life would have it, most new stuff we acquire fits into either of those two categories, so I'm not worried about having to buy another NAS.

But even with a disciplined approach, I feel 3TB is not enough. Especially if you get into BluRay, even if you only rip the main title.

I'm figuring that out. There are some movies here that I'm not sure why we purchased and could easily do without. In fact, I'm thinking we need to stop buying BD's unless we rent it first and see if its worthwhile to have.

My plan right now is to rip everything and see where I stand. The problem comes in that if you use some sort of raid or other redundancy measure, you have to purchase double the amount of drives. Even if I purchase a four bay unit, which is one of the more expensive drives, and fill it with expensive 3TB drives, I'm still going to run into a 6TB limit. And that 6TB is going to cost a pretty penny. I was hoping to survive with 3TB for a while until hard drives get bigger and the prices come down. To go with something like 12TB, I'd have to really plan. Perhaps go with a rack mount unit in the closet or something.

I will say that I'm liking the rip of just the main movie. It gets rid of those annoying menus and the movie starts right away. I may have trouble renting movies becuase the BD player takes so much longer compared to my media player.
post #118 of 5714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I have 56TB on my WHS and I've recently dedicated it strictly to BD ISOs to free up more space on it. After freeing up space I'm still down to only 8.5TB of free space on it. I'm going to need to transfer some of the content to my unRAID server soon. My unRAID server still has around 15TB free currently.

Of course the WHS is using duplication so every 40GB BD ISO is actually using 80GB of space.

What kinda box do you use to get 56TB? I mean that's got to be over 18 drives!
post #119 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

I'm figuring that out. My plan right now is to rip everything and see where I stand. There are some movies here that I'm not sure why we purchased and could easily do without.

The problem comes in that if you use some sort of raid or other redundancy measure, you have to purchase double the amount of drives. Even if I purchase a four bay unit, which is one of the more expensive drives, and fill it with expensive 3TB drives, I'm still going to run into a 6TB limit. I was hoping to survive with 3TB for a while until hard drives get bigger and the prices come down.



Prices have already come down alot. I'm using thirty 2TB drives in my WHS and mostly 1.5TB drives(they came from my WHS when I replaced them with 2TB)in my unRAID.
The last few 2TB drives I purchased were only $65. That's a far cry from the $300 it cost for each 250GB drive I bought in the early 2000's when I first set up 3TB of networked storage for my HD recordings. I swore I would never spend so much on hard drives again.

I'm still amazed how much storage you can get for only $65.
post #120 of 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

What kinda box do you use to get 56TB? I mean that's got to be over 18 drives!

I have the HP EX490. That has four drives in it. Then I have seven Mediasonic 4 bay enclosures. One on eSATA and six on USB. They are smaller since they don't have an internal power supply. Plus they will power up and down with the WHS.

For my unRAID I used five SansDigital eSATA enclosures(four 4 bay, one 5 bay). They are larger since they have internal power supplies. I used a smart power strip so they would turn on and off with the server.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home