or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PS3 60 gig Bricking after 3.61 update?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS3 60 gig Bricking after 3.61 update?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Just did the update and could it coincidentally brick my system? It was running fine prior to the update. I also played it regularly while PSN was down.. Any input would be appreciated.. Thanks
post #2 of 16
As much as it sucks and as much as I feel your pain (my original 60gig went YLOD about six months ago), these claims have been made for as long as firmware updates have existed. The old "phat" PS3's all die, firmware update or not.

The only reason it coincided with the update is that you're power cycling your PS3 during the update process. It was probably already on its way out; this just sealed the deal. Many (if not most) of the 20gig and 60gig owners around here have lost their original units due to YLOD. Sucks, but it's inevitable.

You can try a short-term fix in order to rescue any game saves. But that won't last as a long-term solution. Your options are either to send it in to Sony and pay $150 for a fix (which may just delay the inevitable), or you can sell it or trade it in for $100-200 as is through ebay, Craigslist, or to Gamestop.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the info. It sucks a lot because I play a lot of PS1 and Ps2 games! There are places around the area that can "repair it" for $60. Something about reflowing the gpu and or adding new thermal paste. Would that be a short term fix or will it make it "good as new."

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

As much as it sucks and as much as I feel your pain (my original 60gig went YLOD about six months ago), these claims have been made for as long as firmware updates have existed. The old "phat" PS3's all die, firmware update or not.

The only reason it coincided with the update is that you're power cycling your PS3 during the update process. It was probably already on its way out; this just sealed the deal. Many (if not most) of the 20gig and 60gig owners around here have lost their original units due to YLOD. Sucks, but it's inevitable.

You can try a short-term fix in order to rescue any game saves. But that won't last as a long-term solution. Your options are either to send it in to Sony and pay $150 for a fix (which may just delay the inevitable), or you can sell it or trade it in for $100-200 as is through ebay, Craigslist, or to Gamestop.
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM619 View Post
Thanks for the info. It sucks a lot because I play a lot of PS1 and Ps2 games! There are places around the area that can "repair it" for $60. Something about reflowing the gpu and or adding new thermal paste. Would that be a short term fix or will it make it "good as new."
This will be a short term fix. You can do it yourself, takes about 2 hours to complete. There's a youtube video showing step by step how to do it. I've done it and soon after sold my 60GB for a slim.
post #5 of 16
All firmware updates are followed by some body saying it caused their system to brick. The truth is it was coincidence, millions of people are running 3.61 just fine and Rockstar has since redacted their stupid finger pointing.
post #6 of 16
My originally-60GB (I've since installed a 500GB drive) is working fine post-update.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post

My originally-60GB (I've since installed a 500GB drive) is working fine post-update.

Ditto, minus the HD upgrade that I keep putting off.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post

My originally-60GB (I've since installed a 500GB drive) is working fine post-update.

Mine is running fine as well.. and I have the 500GB drive.
post #9 of 16
60gb with ps2 bc (bought it in Oct 2011) still running fine with latest update.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM619 View Post

Thanks for the info. It sucks a lot because I play a lot of PS1 and Ps2 games!

I was in the same boat. Though it's some small comfort that even the latest Slim models still play PS1 games.
post #11 of 16
My first 80GB phat quit reading disks right after an update. I believe it was an unfortunate coincidence though.
post #12 of 16
My January 2007 build 60GB (w 320GB installed) is still fine. I opened it up and cleaned out the dust last year.
post #13 of 16
my fat 60 with a 500 in it is still alive, but it having trouble breathing sometimes.
post #14 of 16
I wish there was a way to mod the sturdy slim into the sexy 60 case...

post #15 of 16
Only way to really fix a ylod, is not to reflow but to reball.
post #16 of 16
Mine updated but on reboot got an error about not having the original hard drive or some such. Luckily just unplugging the unit for a little bit and starting again worked fine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PS3 60 gig Bricking after 3.61 update?