Originally Posted by a2k2000
Did you try the new hardware build of the Cary with the latest firmware? How old was the unit? Cary said they made some minor changes that can address these issues. Or you can send it in to Cary and they will get it sorted out for you. There is also a firmware update down the line.
He just got them in.
Mine WAS running audio 1.02.
I don't know what the version of HDMI was, since there IS not a "version" or any way of checking. But if I have audio 1.02 I probably had it. Why Cary doesn't put release DATES on these FW updates. Reminds me of APPLE.
To be honest, the CODEC issues were SO EXTREME that I really can't see any update improving them that much.
And I wanted it to work for DVR viewing. VERY well reviewed, built like a tank, I didn't even think the remote was all that bad, like everyone complains. I even could SWEAR my TV picture was sharper!??? Hard to say.
My other issues.....
1. if you are NOT going to have a GUI (which I'm OK with) then put a DECENT SIZED display on the da*n thing!!!!
2. I couldn't get CEC to work. Is it in the menu somewhere?
3. I never DID understand how dolby headphone worked. It would start OFF (which I prefer) but you go in the menu's and it turns ON then you come out a certain way it turns back OFF again. Also, I couldn't decide if the headphone jack was really HIGH quality or AWFUL quality, it just felt REALLY tight and didn't have that clicking locking feel I'm used to on everything else.
4. The Manual. Where is CEC? Dolby headphone ON/OFF? explanations? Couldn't find them.
5. Volume changes between DD (playing a show) and PCM (when in TiVo menus) I'd say 6 db or more.
6. Volume gain. I feel like I had to turn it up too much just to hear it it. What good is the first 3/4 of the range then??? I shouldn't be at -10 db for normal listening (Nope I don't listen that loud)
It's kinda funny, when I called Cary (before trying it) and talked to a nice fella there, I told him some of the CODEC/HDMI issues I have with my Anthem, he thought that was terrible. I did get the opinion CS could be really good.
I'm sure it's a great sounding Pro, but it just WAY too flaky for my DVR viewing.Edited by dean-l - 6/25/12 at 5:12am