or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 4759
Long story short - if I swap motherboards does anyone know off hand if I have to repair the cable card in the ceton tuner with the cable company again?


The long story:

I will be using all the same other hardware - but will be switching to a different motherboard (which I have been told windows can deal with nowadays).

My motherboard has been acting flaky and has gone on several 'reboot' cycles where it would reboot endlessly before doing something (I guess using the backup bios) to fix itself. I have a gigabyte board with two BIOSes.

My guess is that I electroshocked one of the BIOS chips by mistake. I hear this causes alot more part death then people realize.. I also know that I can't watch the copy protected shows once I make the switch..

I suppose I can figure this out myself by dropping the card into a different PC and seeing what happens. But I am just curious if anyone knows. Anyway I am thinking I am going to dump my HTPC case and get a real PC case (I have zero WAF to deal with - and just want cold expansion cards) - and I am going to swap motherboards while I am at it.

Pete
post #212 of 4759
Assuming the cable card is paired, it's paired to the Ceton not the PC so you can move it around as you please, kind of like how a STB doesn't care what TV you put it on. If you have DRM'd recordings your MB change will likely make them unusable.
post #213 of 4759
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyClinch View Post

Long story short - if I swap motherboards does anyone know off hand if I have to repair the cable card in the ceton tuner with the cable company again?


The long story:

I will be using all the same other hardware - but will be switching to a different motherboard (which I have been told windows can deal with nowadays).

My motherboard has been acting flaky and has gone on several 'reboot' cycles where it would reboot endlessly before doing something (I guess using the backup bios) to fix itself. I have a gigabyte board with two BIOSes.

My guess is that I electroshocked one of the BIOS chips by mistake. I hear this causes alot more part death then people realize.. I also know that I can't watch the copy protected shows once I make the switch..

I suppose I can figure this out myself by dropping the card into a different PC and seeing what happens. But I am just curious if anyone knows. Anyway I am thinking I am going to dump my HTPC case and get a real PC case (I have zero WAF to deal with - and just want cold expansion cards) - and I am going to swap motherboards while I am at it.

Pete

I can let you know from a first hand experience and the answer is "no" but...

Let's talk about the "no" first. No, you do not need to deal with cable company, pairing or anything like that. I play around few times with different MB and/or CPU and you don't need to do that, I guarantee that.

But... I hope you all sit down, ALL I mean ALL the protected contents are not able to view anymore. Of course we all know/understand the reason and why, unfortunately there is nothing we can do. But while I am doing that and if we are using the same Windows key, I assume it proofs that we are THE owner of the previous recorded contents, right? if it is the case, MS should allow us to watch the previous contents even we change the MB/CPU, right? So the bad news is unless we keep the same configure HTPC forever, otherwise we will not able to keep the viewable contents forever (providing MS not changing the DRM logic later)!
post #214 of 4759
I need help with the same situation. I just upgraded my mobo and CPU today (Intel i3-2000 with Asus H67 mobo). The audio and video from a PC perspective works fine. I installed the same Ceton tuner and cable card and when I try to tune any channel-even clear QAM-local channels-WMC displays the "Display Driver Error-The video playback device does not support playback of protected content" message. Note that the playready driver within WMC would not install. I even un-then reinstalled the Ceton software and ran into the same problem.

I can't believe playready is incompatible with the relatively new Intel i3 and H67 chipset. Any suggestions for getting playready to work?

Note that I know the tuner is receiving the channels. When I first tried to tune an encrypted channel within WMC it actually would play for a second or two then the aforementioned error message would appear and cut playback off. Ceton diagnostics shows proper CC pairing and no other warnings are shown anywhere within the diagnostics app.
post #215 of 4759
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

I need help with the same situation. I just upgraded my mobo and CPU today (Intel i3-2000 with Asus H67 mobo). The audio and video from a PC perspective works fine. I installed the same Ceton tuner and cable card and when I try to tune any channel-even clear QAM-local channels-WMC displays the "Display Driver Error-The video playback device does not support playback of protected content" message. Note that the playready driver within WMC would not install. I even un-then reinstalled the Ceton software and ran into the same problem.

I can't believe playready is incompatible with the relatively new Intel i3 and H67 chipset. Any suggestions for getting playready to work?

Note that I know the tuner is receiving the channels. When I first tried to tune an encrypted channel within WMC it actually would play for a second or two then the aforementioned error message would appear and cut playback off. Ceton diagnostics shows proper CC pairing and no other warnings are shown anywhere within the diagnostics app.

Below is from Ceton support to reset Playready.

Please note that all your previous recorded contents you will NOT be able to view them again!

a. Uninstall PlayReady from the 'Programs and Features'

b. Enable the explorer to show hidden files and folders. To do this go to Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Show hidden files, folders and drivers

c. Go to %ProgramData%\\Microsoft\\ and delete the PlayReady folder.

d. Go to %ProgramData%\\Microsoft\\ and delete the DRM folder.

e. Go to %ProgramData%\\Microsoft\\Windows\\DRM and delete all files and folders underneath (don't delete the DRM directory itself)

f. Open the registry with elevated privileges. To do so, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and then point to “Run as administrator”. In the command prompt that opens, type regedit.exe.

g. Go to HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft and delete the DRM key.

h. Run the ResetDRM tool.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976590
http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/ind...ayready-issues

i. Restart the computer.

j. Run Windows Media Center setup again

k. Run the PlayReady install from inside Media Center
post #216 of 4759
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Below is from Ceton support to reset Playready.

Please note that all your previous recorded contents you will NOT be able to view them again!

a. Uninstall PlayReady from the 'Programs and Features'

b. Enable the explorer to show hidden files and folders. To do this go to Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Show hidden files, folders and drivers

c. Go to %ProgramData%\\Microsoft\\ and delete the PlayReady folder.

d. Go to %ProgramData%\\Microsoft\\ and delete the DRM folder.

e. Go to %ProgramData%\\Microsoft\\Windows\\DRM and delete all files and folders underneath (don't delete the DRM directory itself)

f. Open the registry with elevated privileges. To do so, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and then point to Run as administrator. In the command prompt that opens, type regedit.exe.

g. Go to HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft and delete the DRM key.

h. Run the ResetDRM tool.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976590
http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/ind...ayready-issues

i. Restart the computer.

j. Run Windows Media Center setup again

k. Run the PlayReady install from inside Media Center

I had to do this to get PlayReady to install. Note that there are a couple of errors in the instructions above.

Deleting the DRM key from the requires elevated priviledges but it can't be done simply by running as admin. You will need to right click on the registry key, select Permissions, and check Full Control. Once that is done it can be deleted.

Also there is no need to run the ResetDRM tool. By deleting the designated directory structures and files you are essentially doing this manually.

Also, prior to deleting the files and registry key I had to uninstall WMC as well by going to Programs and Features and clicking on Turn Windows features on or off. Once all the directories/files and registry key were deleted I reinstalled WMC and ran setup again. PlayReady finally installed properly.
post #217 of 4759
Can you let me know which version of the Intel Video drivers you are using? The last time I upgraded them, they were of the near instant BSOD variety, and I feel like I have tried the latest batches, finding 2291 to be the last stable one for me. Are you pullling them straight from Intel, or via Gigabyte's site? SLAYER6669, can you chime in and say which version you installed?

RE: Ceton drivers - I'll check their site, but I have had their software check, and every time I fire it up it indicates I'm up to date on both.

I did discover the 'allow applications to take exclusive control' disabling fix, but with the rumored automatic frequency update coming to TMT5, I'm going to want bitstreaming still onboard. Audio however is a separate issue from these video crashes. Is the freebie you're referring to reClock?

Thanks, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmservo View Post
I have almost identical setup and no issues. I'd also make sure you have newest drivers and firmware on the ceton. There have been several firmware updates. If you get a stutter on hd audio channels only (like audio stutter then crash ) then there is a solution for that..... Two ways. Either a: break ms's audio out and let freebie handle it or disable 'allow applications to take exclusive control' on your audio device. Yes, that means ac3 (non truehd) will pass as lpcm, but it would solve the issue.
post #218 of 4759
I installed my Ceton earlier this week. I'm having some new HDMI handshake issues ever since installing the card. When I wake the HTPC from sleep the Media Center interface will be shifted to one side of the screen or it'll be in 4:3 mode. I've even had troubles where the screen will just be black and only a reboot will fix it. Changing inputs on my receiver a few times fixed the weird resolution, but the black screen couldn't be solved.

This used to happen like once a month pre-Ceton (the weird resolution problems). Now it happens all the time. Why?

Also, when waking from sleep the computer often becomes unresponsive for a minute or so. Any ideas on that one?

I just upgraded the firmware from 1.0.2.8 -> 1.0.3.4. Maybe that'll solve my issues?
post #219 of 4759
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post
I installed my Ceton earlier this week. I'm having some new HDMI handshake issues ever since installing the card. When I wake the HTPC from sleep the Media Center interface will be shifted to one side of the screen or it'll be in 4:3 mode. I've even had troubles where the screen will just be black and only a reboot will fix it. Changing inputs on my receiver a few times fixed the weird resolution, but the black screen couldn't be solved.

This used to happen like once a month pre-Ceton (the weird resolution problems). Now it happens all the time. Why?

Also, when waking from sleep the computer often becomes unresponsive for a minute or so. Any ideas on that one?

I just upgraded the firmware from 1.0.2.8 -> 1.0.3.4. Maybe that'll solve my issues?
Regarding the wake up problem, there are someone by the name "D. Sherman" in the Intel forum and he has same problem you are referring to. He tried everything under the sun today but still not work. He believes it is a GPU memory leak somewhere due to Intel HD driver. He ended up putting a GPU card in and according to him it solved his problem. I am sort of with him and I only see it few times so far with my system.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/...t=315&tstart=0

Intel 2219 and Ceton 1.0.3.4. are the drivers I have been using.
post #220 of 4759
I'm using an ATI 5450 for my video. Like I said, this didn't start happening regularly until I installed the Ceton this week.

The unresponsive thing is completely new.
post #221 of 4759
I actually have an older version installed 8.15.10.2279.. The newest ones are the same for me.. BSOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbrad66 View Post

Can you let me know which version of the Intel Video drivers you are using? The last time I upgraded them, they were of the near instant BSOD variety, and I feel like I have tried the latest batches, finding 2291 to be the last stable one for me. Are you pullling them straight from Intel, or via Gigabyte's site? SLAYER6669, can you chime in and say which version you installed?

RE: Ceton drivers - I'll check their site, but I have had their software check, and every time I fire it up it indicates I'm up to date on both.

I did discover the 'allow applications to take exclusive control' disabling fix, but with the rumored automatic frequency update coming to TMT5, I'm going to want bitstreaming still onboard. Audio however is a separate issue from these video crashes. Is the freebie you're referring to reClock?

Thanks, everyone.
post #222 of 4759
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbrad66 View Post

Can you let me know which version of the Intel Video drivers you are using? The last time I upgraded them, they were of the near instant BSOD variety, and I feel like I have tried the latest batches, finding 2291 to be the last stable one for me. Are you pullling them straight from Intel, or via Gigabyte's site? SLAYER6669, can you chime in and say which version you installed?

RE: Ceton drivers - I'll check their site, but I have had their software check, and every time I fire it up it indicates I'm up to date on both.

I did discover the 'allow applications to take exclusive control' disabling fix, but with the rumored automatic frequency update coming to TMT5, I'm going to want bitstreaming still onboard. Audio however is a separate issue from these video crashes. Is the freebie you're referring to reClock?

Thanks, everyone.

Yes, you can use something like Reclock also.. just a different way to skin the cat.. I'm using the 2372 drivers on the Intel, Ceton's latest are:

Driver: 1.1.0.8-20110309
Kernel Driver: 1.0.2.0
InfiniTV Firmware: 1.0.3.4
InfiniTV Hardware (updatable) 4884

As long as you have the newest InfinitV and Intel, it goes easier.
post #223 of 4759
Unfortunately I read these instructions too late so I reinstalled the OS. Given all the new hardware this was probably not a bad idea anyway. Playready appears to have installed properly this time but now I've run into a new problem (sigh...). When I try to tune a live channel within WMC I get an error message that the TV, video card driver, or cable does not support HDCP.

I know it can't be my TV or hdmi cable. This new hardware is Intel's i3-2000 with HD2000 IGP. The drivers for the IGP are the latest from Intel's website (April 2011 IMS).

Would this have anything to do with Intel's MEI driver? I don't know much about it and have not installed it yet.

The Intel IGP driver version is 8.15.10.2361

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micromain View Post

I had to do this to get PlayReady to install. Note that there are a couple of errors in the instructions above.

Deleting the DRM key from the requires elevated priviledges but it can't be done simply by running as admin. You will need to right click on the registry key, select Permissions, and check Full Control. Once that is done it can be deleted.

Also there is no need to run the ResetDRM tool. By deleting the designated directory structures and files you are essentially doing this manually.

Also, prior to deleting the files and registry key I had to uninstall WMC as well by going to Programs and Features and clicking on Turn Windows features on or off. Once all the directories/files and registry key were deleted I reinstalled WMC and ran setup again. PlayReady finally installed properly.
post #224 of 4759
Quick update: I think I've isolated the problem. WMC, Intel's HD2000 driver, or some combination of the two does not think my Onkyo TX-NR5008 AV Receiver is HDCP capable (it is). Currently, the Onkyo is being displayed as the primary TV within Intel's video manager as expected. However, when I bypassed the Onkyo and ran HDMI directly to my main and secondary displays (both HDCP capable) I got proper TV picture and sound from WMC .

I really want to watch TV from the Ceton via the Onkyo receiver, so any ideas on how to make it HDCP compatible to WMC/HD2000 IGP? I think this has more to do with the IGP drivers than WMC because I had an older Intel e5200 + Nvidia IGP 9400 working perfectly for TV with WMC just a few days ago.
post #225 of 4759
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

Quick update: I think I've isolated the problem. WMC, Intel's HD2000 driver, or some combination of the two do not think my Onkyo TX-NR5008 AV Receiver is HDCP capable. When I ran HDMI directly to my main and secondary displays (both HDCP capable) I got picture and sound from within WMC as expected.

I really want to watch TV from the Ceton via the Onkyo receiver, so any ideas on how to make it HDCP compatible to WMC/HD2000 IGP? I think this has more to do with the IGP drivers than WMC because I had an older Intel e5200 + Nvidia IGP 9400 working perfectly with WMC and the Ceton just a few days ago.

Before I changed my system from i3 2.1K/HD2K H67 to i5 2.5K/HD3K Z68, both systems I am using iGPU and w/o any HDCP error with my Onkyo 885 Pre/Pro.
post #226 of 4759
Quick update: I've confirmed that the i3's HD2000 video chipset/driver is the culprit. Once I bypassed it with a Nvidia GT-520 card for HDMI audio and video, the HDCP error went away and WMC passed Ceton TV through the Onkyo receiver perfectly. Of course given my luck lately, the GT-520 caused a new problem because it won't detect my second display (21" Vizio LCD TV) via DVI and I need this capability.

I'll ask future questions on this topic in the Intel Sandy Bridge thread but wanted to offer this as a warning to anyone considering a Intel i-series processor, Ceton, and Onkyo receiver combination.
post #227 of 4759
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 View Post

Assuming the cable card is paired, it's paired to the Ceton not the PC so you can move it around as you please, kind of like how a STB doesn't care what TV you put it on. If you have DRM'd recordings your MB change will likely make them unusable.

This is true.. but playready, the WDRM pairing with the OS can easily be broken. I cloned a drive and it would not longer play copy proteced content. Next time I would remove the Ceton from the box, uninstall playready, clone, the drive, reinstall playready then reinstall the Ceton, who really knows. It seems easy enough to break.
post #228 of 4759
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

This is true.. but playready, the WDRM pairing with the OS can easily be broken. I cloned a drive and it would not longer play copy proteced content. Next time I would remove the Ceton from the box, uninstall playready, clone, the drive, reinstall playready then reinstall the Ceton, who really knows. It seems easy enough to break.

gtgray,

What program did you use to clone your HDDs?

I use a free program, CopyWipe, copy raw sector-by-sector to all my back up OS drives. I cloned 3 SSDs includes OCZ Agility 3, Summit and Revodrive X2 and all without problems booting the HTPC with Ceton inside.

The only time I ran in PlayReady problem is when I changed the CPU.

The HTPC with Ceton replaced my STB and until it is 101% running perfect, I'll have few OS drives with me and make sure this box can be up and running in secs when problem occurs.
post #229 of 4759
Alright, been running the InfiniTV 4 for about a week now and have 1 major issue that is killing the experience so far. I'm running the network tuner sharing, have 2 tuners on the main HTPC with the Ceton card in it, and 1 each assigned to 2 HTPCs in other rooms.

My issue is that damn "View or Listening Conflict / No tuners available" message. This has happened a couple times on all 3 of the PCs, including the main HTPC which is on 24/7 and doesn't get put to sleep. The kicker that makes this issue such a big deal is no matter what I do, the only way to get TV back is to re-run the Network Tuner Sharing wizard, and then re-do the TV signal setup in WMC. About a 10 minute process, and not something I can explain to the wife very easily.

It's like WMC completely loses visibility of the tuner itself. I can restart WMC, reboot the PC, you name it. When the issue is occurring and I go into Setup TV Signal in WMC, it says it doesn't even detect any tuners in my system. I could understand this maybe happening on the "networked" tuners I am sharing out, but on the PC it is physically connected to? That shouldn't happen.

So like I said, the only way at this point is to re-run the Network Tuner Sharing wizard first and then re-setup my signal in WMC. This is a huge PITA. Just wondering if anyone else is battling this issue and what you've done. Probably going to engage Ceton support this week when I have a chance. It certainly seems to be a software/driver issue of some sort.

To answer the obvious questions - I'm running the latest driver and firmware, none of the tuners are in use recording or doing anything at the time of the issue.
post #230 of 4759
I also had a lot of issues with "conflict, no tuner available" when using the network tuner software.. Same issues as yours, requiring 10-15 minutes of work to get everything working again. Totally unacceptable when the wife & kids are wanting to watch something :P

I ended up uninstalling network tuner and going back to using just Xbox extenders on the other TVs.
post #231 of 4759
If you run the Ceton diagnostic you'll probably seem some boxes with a red X indicating it is not happy. Try running the WMC setup twice in a row. Don't know why this has an effect, but I had to do this to get my tuner working reliably with a static IP address. It works every time now on both the host and client PCs, except for a brief pause if the host has been rebooted.
post #232 of 4759
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter999 View Post

I also had a lot of issues with "conflict, no tuner available" when using the network tuner software.. Same issues as yours, requiring 10-15 minutes of work to get everything working again. Totally unacceptable when the wife & kids are wanting to watch something :P

I ended up uninstalling network tuner and going back to using just Xbox extenders on the other TVs.

After you uninstalled the network tuner wizard, do you still have this "conflict" error?

When I installed my Ceton a while back, I did have such "conflict" message. But I am not sure how I get rid of it, I still have such "message" these days ONLY when I power up the HTPC, not resume from sleep, and it takes between 20 sec to 40 sec from this "message" to black screen to Live TV screen.
post #233 of 4759
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

If you run the Ceton diagnostic you'll probably seem some boxes with a red X indicating it is not happy. Try running the WMC setup twice in a row. Don't know why this has an effect, but I had to do this to get my tuner working reliably with a static IP address. It works every time now on both the host and client PCs, except for a brief pause if the host has been rebooted.

Yes, in my Ceton diagnostic, the 2nd one on the device tab which says something like "device not setup for use with WMC, please re-install drivers" has the red dash next to it. Odd part about that is it has always been that way and shows red even when TV is working fine.

I have re-installed the drivers several times and that hasn't went away. I have not tried running the WMC setup twice in a row though like you suggested. I will give that a try tonight when I get home.
post #234 of 4759
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

After you uninstalled the network tuner wizard, do you still have this "conflict" error?

When I installed my Ceton a while back, I did have such "conflict" message. But I am not sure how I get rid of it, I still have such "message" these days ONLY when I power up the HTPC, not resume from sleep, and it takes between 20 sec to 40 sec from this "message" to black screen to Live TV screen.

Right, that 20 to 40 sec after a reboot is normal from what Ceton describes in their documentation. It seems that in my situation that re-sync'ing is not occurring properly and I have to actually manually re-run the signal setup after every time there is a power cycle.

Case in point this morning we had a power outage and after the reboot, all 3 of my HTPC's needed to be manually re-configured. So it sounds like it at least in part has something to do with the network tuner sharing configuration.

I've at least got a couple of things to try out tonight troubleshooting-wise. I have to get this functionality working reliably, otherwise there's no point in having this card for my setup. At least another alternative (HDHR Prime) is coming out in a month if I can't get this straightened out by then.
post #235 of 4759
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

After you uninstalled the network tuner wizard, do you still have this "conflict" error?

No, I uninstalled the Tuner software on my HTPC and one client PC that I assigned a tuner to, then went through the TV tuner configuration in WMC.. The tuner on the HTPC and 2 Xbox 360's is now stable again..

With the tuner wizard software installed, I would sometimes be stable for 5 minutes, sometimes a day or 2, but eventually I'd have to go through the entire setup again to clear the "no tuner available" messages.. That did not go over well with the wife. It needs to be 100% stable, or it's useless.
post #236 of 4759
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter999 View Post

That did not go over well with the wife. It needs to be 100% stable, or it's useless.

I am exactly on the same boat and that's why I cloned another SSD and I can easily switch it to if any problem occurs. There is no error for Ceton to be made during prime time. We've one extreme demanding group of customer at home to be please, right
post #237 of 4759
ACK!! I spoke too soon.. Just went over to the HTPC:

Viewing or listening conflict.
No tuner available to satisfy the current request.

This is with the Network Tuner Sharing Uninstalled. Never had this issue before installing that software
post #238 of 4759
Thread Starter 
It looks like no need to be a repeat user and be able to get a Ceton for $269 these days!!!

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...id=0&t=3038617
post #239 of 4759
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyClinch View Post

Long story short - if I swap motherboards does anyone know off hand if I have to repair the cable card in the ceton tuner with the cable company again?


The long story:

I will be using all the same other hardware - but will be switching to a different motherboard (which I have been told windows can deal with nowadays).

My motherboard has been acting flaky and has gone on several 'reboot' cycles where it would reboot endlessly before doing something (I guess using the backup bios) to fix itself. I have a gigabyte board with two BIOSes.

My guess is that I electroshocked one of the BIOS chips by mistake. I hear this causes alot more part death then people realize.. I also know that I can't watch the copy protected shows once I make the switch..

I suppose I can figure this out myself by dropping the card into a different PC and seeing what happens. But I am just curious if anyone knows. Anyway I am thinking I am going to dump my HTPC case and get a real PC case (I have zero WAF to deal with - and just want cold expansion cards) - and I am going to swap motherboards while I am at it.

Pete

Nope. I switched from an AMD to an Intel 2500K, reformatted, etc. and my cablecard was still paired and ready to go right off the bat after I installed drivers.
post #240 of 4759
Finally had my cable card installed today. All I can say is wow. The W7MC interface makes my DirecTV box look like a dinosaur. Navigation speed is outstanding. Wife is impressed as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread