or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread - Page 105

post #3121 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

I'm getting a "Subscription Required" error. Time warner says everything is fine on their end. And the ceton diagnostic tool says everything is fine.

Any ideas guys? Tried everything. Rebooted pc multiple times, and the tuning adapter. Can't get any channels to work.

Did it ever work or has it been a problem since activating your cablecard?

I ran into a problem after an RMA of my InfiniTV 4 with a new Cablecard. I wasn't receiving anything other than local channels. I was getting the subscription required message. The cablecard was showing CP Auth Received. I'm not sure if the guy was BSing me or not but he said there was an open work order for a not staged cablecard that I had associated with the InfiniTV card. He said he had to close that work order for the signals to go through.
post #3122 of 4753
I believe him about needing to close the work order. Verizon has this issue...it is how the internal systems are setup, the work will not flow to the next point until each group in the path closes their portion.
post #3123 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Here's a solution that doesn't require installing any additional software and will work with all versions of Windows 7:

http://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/index.html

It sets up a scheduled event that actually updates the time .

I was just getting ready to recommend that article. I use that guide on all my HTPCs & shows start right on time.
post #3124 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post

I get this too with the USB version. It occurs every time I lose power and the computer reboots. The Media Center can never find the Tuner. If I unplug and replug the ceton's power adapter Media Center sees it. Frustrating

For me, its whenever the computer reboots... even a restart after an update or just a manual restart. The symptom I get is that the tuning adapter loses sync and blinks making me think its the TA, but only about 20% of the time can power cycling the tuning adapter work and there is at least a 10 minute wait each time it loses power. I found that if I power cycled the ceton usb, I could be back up within a minute or so every time and it wasn't the crap shoot as trying to reset the TA. If I shutdown the computer, or if it goes to sleep, I don't get this problem as it occurs only on restarts that don't require me to press my power button to turn it back on however, once in this state it stays in this state until the ceton is power cycled. Generally, for me I just know to shutdown the computer after any updates that say it needs to reboot and I don't get the problem

This past week I noticed something else that may or may not be related to subscription required/no tuners available (actually I've noticed this behavior longer but discovered an apparent "link" this week). It appears that whenever my machine does a guide update, if the main WMC program (user interface) isn't closed, I get no tuners available on a channel change. Closing WMC and restarting it would bring it back. I first noticed this problem when I watched recorded tv at night and fell asleep, when I would wake up frequently I had to close media center to watch any live tv.

I "linked" the two this week, though I don't understand why it behaves this way, when I was doing manual updates (about each hour) to try and bring back the proper TNTHD feed to my lineup (cox phoenix) once zap2it showed the proper listing. I found I could force this no tuners error to happen after each guide update and trying to change a channel but closing and running media center again would clear up the problem. What is even stranger is that on at least two occasions, the diagnostics web page appears to state it processed the tuning request and is actually playing the channel requested and status was green but WMC kept reporting no tuners available until it was restarted.

I also wanted to mention because someone previously reported the problem of TNTHD not showing in their lineup, that late on Wednesday (or perhaps Thursday) while I was attempting these manual updates there was a period of about 2-3 hours that I also had no TNTHD channel listing as well, presumably while the lineup was changed back to being the correct west coast feed as when I got it back it was the correct pacific feed.
post #3125 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker View Post

Which signal amplifier did you get and what is your signal level now?

i got a motorola bda-s1. my signal levels are now about +5 with a snr of 37
post #3126 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcr6419 View Post

Did it ever work or has it been a problem since activating your cablecard?

I ran into a problem after an RMA of my InfiniTV 4 with a new Cablecard. I wasn't receiving anything other than local channels. I was getting the subscription required message. The cablecard was showing CP Auth Received. I'm not sure if the guy was BSing me or not but he said there was an open work order for a not staged cablecard that I had associated with the InfiniTV card. He said he had to close that work order for the signals to go through.

It just happened out of the blue I have had the ceton working for a couple months.
post #3127 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post

For me, its whenever the computer reboots... even a restart after an update or just a manual restart. The symptom I get is that the tuning adapter loses sync and blinks making me think its the TA, but only about 20% of the time can power cycling the tuning adapter work and there is at least a 10 minute wait each time it loses power. I found that if I power cycled the ceton usb, I could be back up within a minute or so every time and it wasn't the crap shoot as trying to reset the TA. If I shutdown the computer, or if it goes to sleep, I don't get this problem as it occurs only on restarts that don't require me to press my power button to turn it back on however, once in this state it stays in this state until the ceton is power cycled. Generally, for me I just know to shutdown the computer after any updates that say it needs to reboot and I don't get the problem

This past week I noticed something else that may or may not be related to subscription required/no tuners available (actually I've noticed this behavior longer but discovered an apparent "link" this week). It appears that whenever my machine does a guide update, if the main WMC program (user interface) isn't closed, I get no tuners available on a channel change. Closing WMC and restarting it would bring it back. I first noticed this problem when I watched recorded tv at night and fell asleep, when I would wake up frequently I had to close media center to watch any live tv.

I "linked" the two this week, though I don't understand why it behaves this way, when I was doing manual updates (about each hour) to try and bring back the proper TNTHD feed to my lineup (cox phoenix) once zap2it showed the proper listing. I found I could force this no tuners error to happen after each guide update and trying to change a channel but closing and running media center again would clear up the problem. What is even stranger is that on at least two occasions, the diagnostics web page appears to state it processed the tuning request and is actually playing the channel requested and status was green but WMC kept reporting no tuners available until it was restarted.

I also wanted to mention because someone previously reported the problem of TNTHD not showing in their lineup, that late on Wednesday (or perhaps Thursday) while I was attempting these manual updates there was a period of about 2-3 hours that I also had no TNTHD channel listing as well, presumably while the lineup was changed back to being the correct west coast feed as when I got it back it was the correct pacific feed.

Interesting. I will try restarting WMC and see if that fixes the problem. I thought I tried that before without any luck but I've tried so many things I may have forgotten.


BTW, what if any media center Extenders are you using? I can't find one I like.
post #3128 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post

You should buy a ups. then you wont have to worry about loseing power. sometimes power goes out here for 1 second and everything would restart. so i got everything on ups now.

Plus one on the ups I have those one minute power outs weekly, even have ups for the alarm clock in the bed room
post #3129 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post


Here's a solution that doesn't require installing any additional software and will work with all versions of Windows 7:

http://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/index.html

It sets up a scheduled event that actually updates the time .

Yes, this will make the wife very happy can't wait to get this going
post #3130 of 4753
Need a little help if possible.

I took the Ceton out of the HTPC and I'm moving into my server to help with heat.

I'm trying to set up the tuners and I ran the network tuner setup to allow 1 tuner for the server, and 3 for other PCs.

When trying to set up the TV signal in the server I get a Tuner Not Found error. When looking in the Ceton Diagnostics it does not find the tuner but it is listed in my Network Connections being bridged with my LAN.

Any suggestions?
post #3131 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikinho View Post

I recommend that you call your cable provider and remove the existing pairing ahead of time. Most of the time when staging a CableCARD that is already paired to an existing host the technicians will miss a step or two which prevents the CableCARD from receiving the CP Authentication and consequently prevents proper operation. That or when you call stress the fact that it was paired with a previous host and needs to have that removed before pairing it to the new host.

Just to add to this great suggestion - if you call and they go through all the motions, but you still can't get it paired - hang up, wait 10 minutes, then call back. Comcast Houston experience for me (with many cable card re-pairs) is at least two calls to get someone who actually knows what the heck is going on!

And as Mikinho said, you must STRESS to them that in order to pair the cable card to the new equipment, the old equipment and pairing info MUST BE REMOVED or it WILL NOT PAIR!
post #3132 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post

Just to add to this great suggestion - if you call and they go through all the motions, but you still can't get it paired - hang up, wait 10 minutes, then call back. Comcast Houston experience for me (with many cable card re-pairs) is at least two calls to get someone who actually knows what the heck is going on!

And as Mikinho said, you must STRESS to them that in order to pair the cable card to the new equipment, the old equipment and pairing info MUST BE REMOVED or it WILL NOT PAIR!

Are you saying that even if you are just swapping in a new PCIe Ceton InfiniTV 4 to replace an old one that I had to RMA, I need to un-paid and re-pair the CableCARD?
post #3133 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post

Are you saying that even if you are just swapping in a new PCIe Ceton InfiniTV 4 to replace an old one that I had to RMA, I need to un-paid and re-pair the CableCARD?

I'm pretty sure you do. I know I've seen erik mention that the card is paired to the Ceton and not the PC so changing any other component is okay but not the Ceton itself.
post #3134 of 4753
That is correct. Your M-card is paired to ceton tuner not pc. thats why u can rebuild and swap computers. As long as tuner is paired to the m-card everything works. So if u are going to RMA it u need to unpair and pair it again
post #3135 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Yes and agree. I think MS locks this for few reasons. In a high level, unless it is local HDD, it might not be recorded for different reasons as you said "it is not accessible under the widest range of circumstances"


Yes, iSCSI target drive will appear in your local machine as local drive.


It is really up to you how to set it up but please remember if you want more than 1 target HDD, you will end up paying them $99. It is free if you use only 1 HDD as target drive.


No, it will work, it will treat as part of the RAID just like image the OS to different drive.


Yes, same here. If I were you just try to make it as simple as you can. Back up and Recorded TV will be as far as I go but no more IMO. Please try Recorded TV first.

Based on what you describe, you and I want/have the same set up. I am pretty sure you will like it. The target drive is VERY fast and act just like a local drive.

It's knowledgeable posters like this that make this forum such a great resource. THANKS!
post #3136 of 4753
Still having issues with mine. I have to call TW cable card support every day as the subscription required message keeps popping up. Can't watch anything.

They came out and swapped the cablecard that fixed it for one day.

They send some signal and that normally makes it work. Had to call today the ceton diag tool says I have no CP authorization. She sent the signal, unpaired and repaired then tried again.

She said if it doesn't authorize in 20 minutes to call back. Its been 20 minutes about to call back. They are blaming it on the ceton. Opened a support ticket to see what ceton has to say.

Going down to time warner tomorrow to try a different cable card again. Getting ready to return it and go back to the Prime.
post #3137 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Still having issues with mine. I have to call TW cable card support every day as the subscription required message keeps popping up. Can't watch anything.

They came out and swapped the cablecard that fixed it for one day.

They send some signal and that normally makes it work. Had to call today the ceton diag tool says I have no CP authorization. She sent the signal, unpaired and repaired then tried again.

She said if it doesn't authorize in 20 minutes to call back. Its been 20 minutes about to call back. They are blaming it on the ceton. Opened a support ticket to see what ceton has to say.

Going down to time warner tomorrow to try a different cable card again. Getting ready to return it and go back to the Prime.

FWIW, when they're sending new hits back to the card (particularly, multiple hits), ensure that the HOSTID/DATAID numbers are still the same. In my experience, when they send multiple hits, it can cause these values to change causing symptoms such as these.
post #3138 of 4753
When I was first getting a card paired and getting no cp auth after several attempts, I went and checked if I could see that I was getting messages sent. Since I was getting the messages, and I had previously read that in some cases a reboot might be required, I rebooted the machine and on reboot it came up as authorized-- something that didn't happen in the 45 minutes I was on the phone.

Also, if you have a tuning adapter, some systems require the card be paired first prior to the tuning adapter, while others seem to require the tuning adapter present if it is already on the account.
post #3139 of 4753
It seems to be fixed for now. I'm just going to let it be until it messes up again. Had some issue last night where one of them unpaired and did not re-pair it properly.

Was working last night.
post #3140 of 4753
Hi everybody, I have a quick question. I picked up my M-card from Cox today to to install in the HTPC and they also gave me a tuning adapter. Do I need the tuning adapter in the loop? I have the Ceton infintv 4 pci adapter. Thanks for any replies.
Mario
post #3141 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modicen View Post

Hi everybody, I have a quick question. I picked up my M-card from Cox today to to install in the HTPC and they also gave me a tuning adapter. Do I need the tuning adapter in the loop? I have the Ceton infintv 4 pci adapter. Thanks for any replies.
Mario

Only if your cable company is using SDV. Which, if they gave you a tuning adapter is a pretty sure thing that they do.

So, yes you will need the tuning adapter.l
post #3142 of 4753
Thanks Teeps
post #3143 of 4753
Is anyone else having guide update issues? My entire guide says no info available, trying to search for shows says 3657 days of listings available, and when I do type something in, it shows programs and channels that no longer exist here. I'm on Cox New England, and there are no issues with my cable co STB.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently my computer decided it was 2002 today. Updated the date (and set that event from a couple pages back) and everything is just fine. Gotta love this sh!t....
post #3144 of 4753
....time/date problem was fixed very easily, but I'm still only getting 4-5 days worth of guide listings. Anyone else seeing this? Seems like this has become a much more frequent issue as of late. Eric, any thoughts?
post #3145 of 4753
I had my pciex ceton card reset during some recordings last week, i am running the latest public firmware. From reading this thread ceton has had numerous beta versions since the last public release. Is there a beta version which has cured these resets? If so what version appears to be most stable? For erik why hasn't ceton made a public release since last fall?
post #3146 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post

FWIW, when they're sending new hits back to the card (particularly, multiple hits), ensure that the HOSTID/DATAID numbers are still the same. In my experience, when they send multiple hits, it can cause these values to change causing symptoms such as these.

Depending on the signals sent, the data ID can change, however the Host ID is specific to each InfiniTV and will never change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post

Also, if you have a tuning adapter, some systems require the card be paired first prior to the tuning adapter, while others seem to require the tuning adapter present if it is already on the account.

There should be no difference if the CableCARD is paired or not, as far as the TA is concerned. Also TAs are not paired with hosts (only CableCARDs) - they do a dynamic pairing with the device they are plugged in to though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modicen View Post

Hi everybody, I have a quick question. I picked up my M-card from Cox today to to install in the HTPC and they also gave me a tuning adapter. Do I need the tuning adapter in the loop? I have the Ceton infintv 4 pci adapter. Thanks for any replies.
Mario

Did they give you a DTA or TA? If it's a TA, you should use it. If it's a DTA, they made a mistake, and don't use the DTA (and you can return it to Comcast). Comcast typically does not use SDV, so most likely they gave you a DTA by mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreese831 View Post

....time/date problem was fixed very easily, but I'm still only getting 4-5 days worth of guide listings. Anyone else seeing this? Seems like this has become a much more frequent issue as of late. Eric, any thoughts?

Try forcing a guide update and see if it persists. There was a guide data issue until a few days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheiskel View Post

I had my pciex ceton card reset during some recordings last week, i am running the latest public firmware. From reading this thread ceton has had numerous beta versions since the last public release. Is there a beta version which has cured these resets? If so what version appears to be most stable? For erik why hasn't ceton made a public release since last fall?

I'm a little confused. Ceton has released updates more recently than last year - we released 1.1.7.2 earlier this year. Are you running 1.1.7.2? If not, please update and see if the issue persists. If you are, please open a support ticket with us.
post #3147 of 4753
erik,

Is there any Ceton recommended signal amplifier? I'm browsing Monoprice and Amazon now but if you guys have done any testing, I'll take that information into my decision making process.

I'm thinking my jerky recordings is due to low signal. I'm reading about -15dBm with SNR of 36.

And, do you have any thoughts about this problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyrcks9901 View Post

Need a little help if possible.

I took the Ceton out of the HTPC and I'm moving into my server to help with heat.

I'm trying to set up the tuners and I ran the network tuner setup to allow 1 tuner for the server, and 3 for other PCs.

When trying to set up the TV signal in the server I get a Tuner Not Found error. When looking in the Ceton Diagnostics it does not find the tuner but it is listed in my Network Connections being bridged with my LAN.

Any suggestions?
post #3148 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyrcks9901 View Post

erik,

Is there any Ceton recommended signal amplifier? I'm browsing Monoprice and Amazon now but if you guys have done any testing, I'll take that information into my decision making process.

I'm thinking my jerky recordings is due to low signal. I'm reading about -15dBm with SNR of 36.

And, do you have any thoughts about this problem:

Your signal is weak, but your SNR looks decent - without more info, I can't say for certain.
As far as recommendations go, I have set up relatives with Electroline ones, and I personally use a Toner Cable at home. Blonder Tongue is also good, but overkill for home. There are other good brands also, but these are just ones I have personally used.
post #3149 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

Your signal is weak, but your SNR looks decent - without more info, I can't say for certain.
As far as recommendations go, I have set up relatives with Electroline ones, and I personally use a Toner Cable at home. Blonder Tongue is also good, but overkill for home. There are other good brands also, but these are just ones I have personally used.

What about the tuner not found problem that I quoted. It's not a huge deal since I record most of the shows and it's all copy freely. But I'm not able to watch live TV on the HTPC. I currently have the server just doing all the recordings so I don't miss anything.

The server and HTPC both run windows 7 and both have no problem using the Ceton if it's local and I don't do the network tuner setup. As soon as I run the network tuner setup neither computer can find any tuners.
post #3150 of 4753
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyrcks9901 View Post

What about the tuner not found problem that I quoted. It's not a huge deal since I record most of the shows and it's all copy freely. But I'm not able to watch live TV on the HTPC. I currently have the server just doing all the recordings so I don't miss anything.

The server and HTPC both run windows 7 and both have no problem using the Ceton if it's local and I don't do the network tuner setup. As soon as I run the network tuner setup neither computer can find any tuners.

I would try disabling any firewalls/internet security software that you have. Beyond that, I would recommend opening a support ticket with us.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread